Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Why the PlayStation Vita will surpass the PSP

Did you know that as of this April, Sony has sold 70 million PlayStation Portables? I can almost guarantee the PlayStation Vita will sell even more.

A while back, images surfaced on the internet of a new Sony handheld gaming device. For a long time, this device was deemed “NGP.” It wasn’t until Electronic Expo Entertainment 2011 that gamers were graced with the official name: PlayStation Vita. Vita, which will release early 2012 for North America and Europe, will indeed surpass the PSP in units sold and impact on the gaming world, and here’s why.
    Building on Success
    One can easily assume that of the 70 million people who bought a PSP, a lot of them will want a Vita. Through the PSP, Sony has installed a group of people who love and are willing to buy their handheld devices. In other words, the PlayStation Vita will reap from the seeds sown by the PSP.

One of the seeds sown by the PSP late in its cycle is high quality games. A lot of PSP games, whether Resistance: Retribution or God of War: Ghost of Sparta, generally received impressive review scores from critics. People can see that Sony established momentum with its quality titles on the PSP, so gamers will expect at least that same level from the PlayStation Vita.

It is because of those games and the many features of the PSP that Sony’s handheld device has helped improve the market. When a person buys a handheld device, they no longer just expect the ability to play games. They also expect to be able to listen to music and watch movies on the go. The PSP gave give people music, videos and pictures, so consumers will expect the same and even more of the Vita. People love versatility, and like the PSP, Vita will be able to do many things.

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks
    Despite the success of the PSP, there were many mistakes made by Sony. One of the most noticeable mistakes was how easy it was to hack the PSP. At one point during the PSP’s lifecycle, most gamers agree that there were a lack of games. Add this to the fact that some people love to hack electronics, and other reasons, and you can see why so many PSPs were hacked. It is because of this mistake and experience that Sony will most likely make the PlayStation Vita harder to hack. The harder something is to hack, the more secure Sony feels and the more safe consumers feel from hackers. The safer consumers feel, the more likely a device is to have success.

As mentioned before, there was a point in which most gamers agree that the PSP lacked good, quality games. I can remember going into Walmart and a fellow gamer remarked, “Man, I can’t find any games.” He was in the PSP section. He was probably not the only one who felt this way and we all know a lack of good games is enough to turn a gamer off. However, Sony seems to have learned from this mistake; the PlayStation Vita looks to have a strong launch with titles such as Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Shinobido 2. This is just at launch; you can imagine how many great games will come out for the PlayStation Vita’s whole lifecycle.

A lot of people also had a problem with the format of the PSP’s games, the UMD or Universal Media Disc. UMDs were arguably easy to break and scratch. However, Sony has definitely learned from this minor mishap; the PlayStation Vita will feature a different format for its games similar to the 3DS and DS. Now, PS Vita owners will not have to worry about breaking or scratching their games and used ones will be easier to sell.

Sony may have sold more PSPs had advertising for the PSP been better. At one point, which some argue is an example of being desperate; Sony had a little boy promote the PSP in commercials. This clearly did not go well, after a while the little boy was never seen again. So far, there is much hype for the PlayStation Vita despite the fact it is many months away for North American gamers. It is unknown what direction Sony will go in advertising the PS Vita; however, Sony will have most likely learned from their advertising mistake and will be motivated by their competition, the 3DS. Sony will probably find a more effective way of advertising and promoting the PS Vita.

Lots of Good Games

One of the main reasons why the PS Vita is worth the money is the games. There is a LOT of potential for many good, quality games. The Vita has a great chance for a strong launch with games such as Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Wipeout 2048. Uncharted alone is enough for some gamers to buy the PS Vita at launch.

Sometimes a strong launch foreshadows a lot of quality games in the future and the PS Vita appears as if it will indeed have a good release. The lineup for the PS Vita shows a lot of potential, with games such as Assassin’s Creed and Bioshock slated for release. With so many games already confirmed for the PS Vita by well known developers, one can only expect most of them to be of high quality. Good quality games are what gamers want and love and when a system has that, it is easy to woo the wallets of consumers.

There are a lot of well known developers making games for the PS Vita. Developers like Konami and Ubisoft are known for quality games and so one can’t help but expect no less from these developers’ PS Vita games. On top of the many third party developers making games for the PS Vita, there are Sony’s first party developers like Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studios. With the PS Vita’s technology and the talent of the developers working on titles for it, one can’t help but drool at the potential of the PS Vita’s games.

Doing many things in many places

The PS Vita has many functions. It is not only a gaming device, but can play music. Bored on the subway? Pop in your earphones and listen to music while you wait for the next stop. On a road trip and feel like watching a movie but don’t have a portable TV? Watch a movie on the go with the PS Vita. Want to check your Facebook? You can do that and other social networking as well on the PS Vita. The PS Vita can almost do it all. The PS Vita will have much weight in consumers’ minds because of its versatility.

Options with the PS Vita
    One sweet thing about the PS Vita is its price. The Wifi only model is $250 and the 3G model is $300. For a high powered gaming device in which one can listen to music, watch movies, and connect via social network, that is a considerable bargain. Then there are options. If a gamer does not want 3G, they can get the Wifi only PS Vita. If a gamer wants 3G, then they simply have to give $50 more for their PS Vita. A lot of gamers love the low price point; because of the value of the PS Vita, expect it to sell well.

The PlayStation Vita
    Interested in the PlayStation Vita? The PlayStation Vita releases in Japan at the end of this year and will release in North America and Europe early in 2012. I recommend preordering one, because they will probably sell like hot cakes.
    Article by Shawnee Lee

http://www.psu.com/Why-the-PlayStati...a012693-p0.php

This was written by PSU member The_Black_Wolf, so give her some love.

Dedicated Member
    The Vita seems great on paper, but I worry that the rise of moble gaming on cell phones, iPads etc will effect both Sony and Nintendo, which traditionally have owned the whole moble market.

Sometimes I wonder if games that companies release on handhelds should just be downloadable on consoles and on any handheld device. Creating an online hub for the games to be sold from many different devices.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    The Vita seems great on paper, but I worry that the rise of moble gaming on cell phones, iPads etc will effect both Sony and Nintendo, which traditionally have owned the whole moble market.
    It puzzles me how people think dedicated portable gaming devices with buttons and control inputs with blockbuster titles will be in trouble from angry birds and games without controls. I have seen Cliffy Bs mobile game and have seen abit of mobile Rage but these will never cause major harm to Sony or Nintendo.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_rhayne View Post
    It puzzles me how people think dedicated portable gaming devices with buttons and control inputs with blockbuster titles will be in trouble from angry birds and games without controls. I have seen Cliffy Bs mobile game and have seen abit of mobile Rage but these will never cause major harm to Sony or Nintendo.
    Put it this way. I want the Vita and I will probably get it day one. Problem is, I won't take it with me anywhere. Same exact thing happened with my psp. When you have a device that does damn near everything already, you probably won't feel the need to carry another device around. Sure, it's dedicated gaming and whatever, but the amount of things smartphones can do in comparison will pretty much outweigh vita for some people. People like me for example. As cool as the vita will be, I'm not sure I want to play full on games while I'm out. I don't think I would have THAT much time.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Elite Member
    Point! Reason i wont get the Vita is because my PSP didn't see the light of day in the end, i took it one place with me then it was something for the living room which was a rare play. I ended up getting rid of it because i just didn't play it anymore. All-in-all a waste of money in my opinion, i just don't have that sort of money to fork out on a Vita only for me to play it once in a blue moon.
    ·· Elite ··

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    Can't wait for that piece of hardware!!!!!
    Sony BRAVIA 40" XBR4
    harman/kardon AVR1600
    1Tb PS3 slim
    500Gb PS4
    Toshiba S50D A
    AMD A10-5745M APU 2.10Ghz
    AMD Radeon HD 8500M
    8Gb RAM
    1Tb Hdd
    Windows 8

Superior Member
    My PSVita will probably be the best purchase for me in recent months, besides food.

My PSP was my
    -Portable music player(No generic mp3, Ipod,Iphone, or Zune over here)
    -My file transfer device
    -Portable Movie player
    - and of course game player
    -(Some of you may think this is digusting) but yea for people like me who spends an abnormal ammount of time on the tiolet my psp helped me pass the (smelly) time lol.

Now that they finally gave the vita twin sticks it's already a must buy, they went and added 2 built in camera's, (I can take picures) touch for more casual games, built in mic, better Internet(I'm assuming),3g anywhere with social networking, skype,(my phone can take a break)facebook,(the mightiest of the social networking sites at the moment) and lastly it's almost as strong as the PS3.

And if I get this secondary job, it'll be less home console playing for me. The Vita well come very well in handy.

With all these things how can u not want to get a Vita. It already has support from majority of the top developer's in japan,EU,and North America, aslong as it doesn't get hacked this thing will easily surpass PSP's achievements in a quicker time frame. It is a def. D1P for me.

Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    Holding down Turtle Power since 1991

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Put it this way. I want the Vita and I will probably get it day one. Problem is, I won't take it with me anywhere. Same exact thing happened with my psp. When you have a device that does damn near everything already, you probably won't feel the need to carry another device around. Sure, it's dedicated gaming and whatever, but the amount of things smartphones can do in comparison will pretty much outweigh vita for some people. People like me for example. As cool as the vita will be, I'm not sure I want to play full on games while I'm out. I don't think I would have THAT much time.
    Ja I get what you mean, but regardless of where you play it, people will get a Vita because of they want blockbuster titles only available on Vita, with controls. I LOVE my smart phone, and I like to browse the web or listen to music or watch youtube when im out and about, but that wont stop me from getting a Vita to play the games like Uncharted, Resistance and Bioshock. Any gamer who games as an enthusiast for a hobby will not be swayed by the simple smartphone games.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Um, Agriel, my username doesn't have any under scores in it. I don't mind nor am I mad at you, but I just wanted to say that.

I hope you guys liked that article.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Super Elite
    Items Microsoft LogoApple
    I just deep down know Sony are going to mess-up big time on the marketing of this device. Especially in North America.

The device will be brilliant no doubt but Sony will not be able to communicate its benefits well enough.

They messed up big time with the marketing of both PS3 and PSP in Western markets and nothing has changed since as proved by those ridiculous 'Marcus PSP' and 'Kevin Butler PS3' advertisements.

It's a shame really.
    Last edited by Wasib; 09-01-2011 at 17:21.

Apprentice
    I agree they'll blow marketing, I think they've already put themselves in a huge hole by not getting out by christmas in places that buy a lot of their big and gadget purchases at christmas; by '12 christmas they might need a price cut or a bundle to get it moving.

If the bar to hop over is just selling more than PSP, then, they'll do that because it'll be out for 6 or 7 years and enough people will pick it up. The problem comes if nintendo just ditches the 3ds in a couple years, but if nintendy continues to slog it out without that thing, the vita will do fine.

The portable market is there, it's just smaller than it was and nothing is going to sell like game boy or ds again.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by tbx59 View Post
    I agree they'll blow marketing, I think they've already put themselves in a huge hole by not getting out by christmas in places that buy a lot of their big and gadget purchases at christmas; by '12 christmas they might need a price cut or a bundle to get it moving.

If the bar to hop over is just selling more than PSP, then, they'll do that because it'll be out for 6 or 7 years and enough people will pick it up. The problem comes if nintendo just ditches the 3ds in a couple years, but if nintendy continues to slog it out without that thing, the vita will do fine.

The portable market is there, it's just smaller than it was and nothing is going to sell like game boy or ds again.
    Maybe one idea would have been to give the U.S. and Europe the first-launch and delay the Japanese one into early 2012.

I do agree that the market is smaller now - a lot smaller. That plays into the hands of Android, iOS and Windows Phone 7 and hurts Nintendo and Sony in the portable spheres (particularly Nintendo). But there is still a market out there to make a successful dedicated video-game handheld in my view.

As for ditching the 3DS we will know more by March 2012. There is no doubt though things have become increasingly difficult for the traditional video-game handheld manufacturers.

Sony are trying to sell games on Android devices through the PlayStation Suite but as usual the software/interface of the PlayStation Store on that platform is a complete mess and the content very lacking with old PS1 games on offer.

There is a worry they are taking on too much and spreading resources too thinly. Honestly if the PlayStation Vita does not deliver, the PlayStation division could find itself in a tricky place because PS2 and PSP are declining now (in both hardware and software) and the PS3 can go only so far. That means (if we accept PlayStation Vita is not going to have much mass-market success) the pressure will fall to the PlayStation 4 and if you think about it that is worrying since no-one really has a clue what form the next-generation should take.
    Last edited by Wasib; 09-01-2011 at 23:00.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Some are still putting way too much importance on a holiday release. A system has never seen a huge advantage launching during the holiday season versus launch any other time during the year. The first 4 to 6 month worth of sales have almost always averaged at around the same regardless of when the system launches.

This is due to supply constraints. Supplying enough systems to meet anywhere near both launch demand and holiday season demand is near impossible. The initial investment would also be a lot higher to get anywhere near that many units ready for the holiday season. They would have to start production a lot earlier and wait even longer before seeing a return on the produced units.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasib View Post
    Sony are trying to sell games on Android devices through the PlayStation Suite but as usual the software/interface of the PlayStation Store on that platform is a complete mess and the content very lacking with old PS1 games on offer.
    Where are you seeing this at? I don't believe the PlayStation Suite launches until 2012. The videos we seen of what appears to be a store front . If you are talking about this video (http://youtu.be/husc2meluSs), I believe it turned out that that was not PlayStation Suite running on it.

I don't believe SCE are the ones handling the PS cert android device stuff, so I am not sure how they are spreading resources too thinly. Sony has always had a lot going on.

Software sales are actually on the rise for both the PS3 and PSP. There was some drops in hardware sales last quarter, but that is to be expected with all that happened.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    Where are you seeing this at? I don't believe the PlayStation Suite launches until 2012. The videos we seen of what appears to be a store front . If you are talking about this video (http://youtu.be/husc2meluSs), I believe it turned out that that was not PlayStation Suite running on it.

I don't believe SCE are the ones handling the PS cert android device stuff, so I am not sure how they are spreading resources too thinly. Sony has always had a lot going on.

Software sales are actually on the rise for both the PS3 and PSP. There was some drops in hardware sales last quarter, but that is to be expected with all that happened.
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. That has been out for a few months now and got poor reviews citing poor implementation of the PlayStation Store. When interview were conducted around the time of the PlayStation Meeting 2011 it was Sony Computer Entertainment executives who were left explaining what PlayStation Suite was - not Sony Ericsson.

I don't know who is involved with the software/PlayStation Store implementation with regards to the Android stuff. I hope it is not the Sony Computer Entertainment guys because they have enough on their plate with PS3/Vita not to mention the PS4. But it well could be considering the comments from the executives of Sony Computer Entertainment.

I do also believe resources are stretched in other ways. For instance look at launch-line-up of PlayStation Move from a Sony first-party. There was a distinct lack of content i.e. must-have games unlike Kinect which Microsoft managed extremely well with Kinect Sports and Dance Central.

Contrast that to the launch-line-up of PlayStation Vita and you can see where the priority lay for Sony. With 3D, PlayStation Move, PSP Go and now PlayStation Suite there definitely is too much going on and all these initiatives I cannot really see having any market impact. It is just bad management frankly. It is just too complicated and that is when the alarm-bells start ringing.

Software sales may be on the rise for the PS3 but they will completely drop off for the PS2/PSP and if Vita is not a success it leaves the sole system of the PS3 as the bread-winner so-to-speak which introduces risk (in terms of the accounting numbers) as there is no diversification in the product pipe-line i.e. one mistake with the PS4 and the division will see poor sales and profits.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I do also believe resources are stretched in other ways. For instance look at launch-line-up of PlayStation Move from a Sony first-party. There was a distinct lack of content i.e. must-have games unlike Kinect which Microsoft managed extremely well with Kinect Sports and Dance Central.

Contrast that to the launch-line-up of PlayStation Vita and you can see where the priority lay for Sony. With 3D, PlayStation Move, PSP Go and now PlayStation Suite there definitely is too much going on and all these initiatives I cannot really see having any market impact. It is just bad management frankly. It is just too complicated and that is when the alarm-bells start ringing.
    Pfft, the kinect launch was just as sorry as the Moves launch. Start the Party, Sports Champions and Tumble were no worse than Kinect Sports and DC. If that is your definition of managing a launch "extremely well" then it would be interesting to see your definition of extremely bad.

Also I disagree that there is too much going on. Sony is a conglomerate, having multiple initiates is what they do by definition. It's not as complicated as you are making it out to be, nor is it as doom and gloom.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. That has been out for a few months now and got poor reviews citing poor implementation of the PlayStation Store. When interview were conducted around the time of the PlayStation Meeting 2011 it was Sony Computer Entertainment executives who were left explaining what PlayStation Suite was - not Sony Ericsson.

I don't know who is involved with the software/PlayStation Store implementation with regards to the Android stuff. I hope it is not the Sony Computer Entertainment guys because they have enough on their plate with PS3/Vita not to mention the PS4. But it well could be considering the comments from the executives of Sony Computer Entertainment.
    PlayStation Suite is not on the Xperia Play or any other device yet. I believe all that is on the Xperia Play is a modified version of the Andriod store(whatever it is they call it).

Move is not going to see a lot of support because it is not something that was there from the beginning. In other words, not something every PS3 owners has. The only thing Kinect had over Move was the marketing, the software was not any better.

This still isn't a sign that they are spreading their resources then. If they wanted to risk it, they could have added Move support to all of their games. There hasn't been a lack of games or support on the PS3 since the Move was introduced.

It is obvious not a problem with the PSVita; which is receiving some of, if not the best support any system has ever received pre-launch with both games (from both first and third party) and features.

Software sales may be on the rise for the PS3 but they will completely drop off for the PS2/PSP and if Vita is not a success it leaves the sole system of the PS3 as the bread-winner so-to-speak which introduces risk (in terms of the accounting numbers) as there is no diversification in the product pipe-line i.e. one mistake with the PS4 and the division will see poor sales and profits.
    There will always be risk in anything worth doing. Sony is doing a lot better with the PlayStation brand than what they were just a few years ago. They can afford some drop off now and then with the PSVita a lot better than they could with the PS3. They are not in near the danger you are putting them in. The brand is in a lot better shape than what last quarter results makes it appear, which was skewed by everything that had happened this year.

The fact that software sales for PS3 is on a rise is huge. This is where Sony will make a lot of their money for the division. Especially compared to the past with their first-party offering being so much better and larger.

Forum Guru
    psv will flop...but im still buying it anyway, that smartphone market is too strong. they gotta price games at 19.99 for substandarded games and 29.99 being for premium games to compete..im buying because i want to reflect as being the early inteest in the psv..never bought a handheld before.

if it flops, ill keep it for homebrew, if it succeeds, new games!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake_PSN
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by floetry View Post
    psv will flop...but im still buying it anyway, that smartphone market is too strong. they gotta price games at 19.99 for substandarded games and 29.99 being for premium games to compete..im buying because i want to reflect as being the early inteest in the psv..never bought a handheld before.

There will always be a market for people who want to play a dedicated portable games device. I see all these articles about how the smart phone industry is endangering the vita and 3DS which is bull$#@!. It's not the tech but the gaming needs of the gamers that endanger these more imo. You will never get a good Uncharted, Assassins creed, Bioshock, Resistance, CoD, fighting game etc on a smartphone. Smartphones will become a danger when the market doesn't give a $#@! for blockbuster games on the go and devices with proper inputs. There will always be a market for people who want buttons.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by floetry View Post

What makes you think it will flop? Smartphones? They do not compete for consumers looking for dedicated gaming handheld devices. They also cannot compete in the area of exclusives that Nintendo and Sony can offer for the 3DS and PSV.

I doubt the smartphone market has taken anywhere near as much away from dedicated gaming handheld devices as some believe. There are far too many factors to how well something sales just to blame it on smartphones. Even the console market has had quiet a few bad sales trends over the past few years.

With that said, the market for dedicated gaming handheld devices is by no means small. The market has done very well with much less in the past.

You will have games in the $20 to $30 price ranges, but you will also have games in the $40 price range. There is and will be a market for this price range. There is a large list of games (and growing) coming out for those looking for $1 to $10 games. The $40 games is a great alternative for those looking for a console like experience, but feels $60 is too much. The $40 price range is the cheapest games offering a console like experience has been for a very long time.

The only competition for these $40 games is 3DS games (which are also $40) and console games (which are $60). Smartphone games do not offer a experience that can replace these type of games.

Thread Information