Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: Cross game chat

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I guess we will never know now.
    On what basis? The only thing that would've changed, had they implemented it from the beginning, is that PS3's in-game OS was going to consist more RAM usage...meaning a bit less RAM for developers to make their games with.

That's it.

There's no unknown there. XGC isn't rocket-science. It's voice over IP. You know, yahoo voice chat, msn voice chat, google voice chat. They could've easily implemented it but didn't...because they were stupid.

Now they can't just shove it in because of BC issues. What is the unknown there? What would we not know now?

because the dev kits with the extra RAM would increase development efficiency while reducing costs for licensed PS3 developers. If they wanted PS3 to have more RAM then it would have had to initially launch with it already installed.
    Actually, it wouldn't hurt if they added more RAM, just that it wouldn't be put to good use because it won't change anything about the in-game OS because that's always going to be the RAM PS3 first came with...because they don't want games to be incompatible on other PS3s that don't have this extra RAM. The latter part isn't for you but those that don't understand it won't help.

It's like Xbox360 with the HDDVD...hypothetically speaking, had they made games for it (which I know they weren't going to), it would've only worked with the 360s that had the device.

The only thing additional RAM would help with is the main OS that PS3 when it's not playing a game. And that OS still hasn't capped 256MBs yet (flash memory that the OS resides on), so it doesn't need it.

The reason why they added more RAM on the PSP was to add more functionality such as Skype and whatever else the Slim can only run.

Though none of those features are in-game...(well, PSP doesn't even have in-game XMB but even if it did, Skype wouldn't work in it).

Adding RAM on the PS3 wouldn't be a suicide or anything, it just would be pointless and will just cost more money.

because the dev kits with the extra RAM would increase development efficiency while reducing costs for licensed PS3 developers. If they wanted PS3 to have more RAM then it would have had to initially launch with it already installed.
    So you are saying that it would be impossible to do? i dont really get what u are saying... but i find it impossible that sony couldnt have hidden(= not avalible for developers) the extra ram from the developers.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    On what basis? The only thing that would've changed, had they implemented it from the beginning, is that PS3's in-game OS was going to consist more RAM usage...meaning a bit less RAM for developers to make their games with.

That's it.

There's no unknown there. XGC isn't rocket-science. It's voice over IP. You know, yahoo voice chat, msn voice chat, google voice chat. They could've easily implemented it but didn't...because they were stupid.

Now they can't just shove it in because of BC issues. What is the unknown there? What would we not know now?
    Its really a dead issue. We can "what if" all day and night. It won't change anything. The PS3 doesn't have XGC because Sony failed to plan for it . Not enough RAM available. Really nothing to debate here.

Actually, it wouldn't hurt if they added more RAM, just that it wouldn't be put to good use because it won't change anything about the in-game OS because that's always going to be the RAM PS3 first came with...because they don't want games to be incompatible on other PS3s that don't have this extra RAM. The latter part isn't for you but those that don't understand it won't help.

It's like Xbox360 with the HDDVD...hypothetically speaking, had they made games for it (which I know they weren't going to), it would've only worked with the 360s that had the device.

The only thing additional RAM would help with is the main OS that PS3 when it's not playing a game. And that OS still hasn't capped 256MBs yet (flash memory that the OS resides on), so it doesn't need it.

The reason why they added more RAM on the PSP was to add more functionality such as Skype and whatever else the Slim can only run.

Though none of those features are in-game...(well, PSP doesn't even have in-game XMB but even if it did, Skype wouldn't work in it).

Adding RAM on the PS3 wouldn't be a suicide or anything, it just would be pointless and will just cost more money.
    Again another dead issue. There wont be another PS3 available to the consumer with more RAM. That would be suicide for Sony. That would be like one PS3 competing against the other.That is all i'm saying. It only has 512 MB of RAM and that's all it will ever have. Point blank. PS3 with more RAM would only be available to devs only.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Because it wouldn't do any good. Devs would still only be able to use 512 MB for games. Each game developed has to be able to be played and look the same on each and every PS3 purchased, not just the ones with a little more RAM. That would be a horrible business if they did this.
    We're not talking about games using it though.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    We're not talking about games using it though.
    It doesn't matter. They aren't going to manufacture more PS3s with more RAM just for XGC or whatever at this point. PS3 with more RAM probably do exist but you and I won't be able to get our hands on one.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    They did it with PSP tho... oh forget it lol they're taking stuff out all the time anyway.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Overseer
    It doesn't matter. They aren't going to manufacture more PS3s with more RAM just for XGC or whatever at this point. PS3 with more RAM probably do exist but you and I won't be able to get our hands on one.
    Ok, but even if they did add more RAM, that won't resolve the XGC issue...

-_-
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHaggstrom View Post
    So you are saying that it would be impossible to do? i dont really get what u are saying... but i find it impossible that sony couldnt have hidden(= not avalible for developers) the extra ram from the developers.
    It's not impossible but if they've already mentioned that they can't do it (which actually means that they don't want to do it for the reasons I explained, some of which they mentioned themselves), chances are they won't do it. They aren't experienced enough to do it at this stage the console life cycle. It will require them to completely redo the infrastructure and build newer, more efficient technologies to get it to work (something MS has a lot of experience in) and it will cost them probably millions, if not close to a billion to rework the entire OS and make it a lot more efficient and better.

They'll likely just do it for the next PS...like they did for the Vita. It already has the features we wanted on the PS3.

Its really a dead issue. We can "what if" all day and night. It won't change anything. The PS3 doesn't have XGC because Sony failed to plan for it . Not enough RAM available. Really nothing to debate here.
    The problem isn't the RAM. But I've already explained 3 times directly to you at various events in the past, I don't think one more explanation will change much apparently.

Again another dead issue. There wont be another PS3 available to the consumer with more RAM. That would be suicide for Sony. That would be like one PS3 competing against the other.That is all i'm saying. It only has 512 MB of RAM and that's all it will ever have. Point blank.
    No it won't be suicide. Suicide would be if they made a game for the extra RAM available, which Sony won't allow.

It just won't be useful (as far as games) and it'll cost them money. PS3 won't be competing against itself.

They did the same thing with the PSP Fat (32MB) vs PSP Slim (64MB). But they did it because they wanted additional features and needed more RAM.

Since the games play the same on both versions of the PSP, it didn't matter. They needed more RAM on it so they upgraded it. It's a very simple concept to understand.

PS3 with more RAM would only be available to devs only.
    That's somewhat what I was saying...I just explained it in more depth. RAM would always be available to devs...so I don't know what the point is there...but it won't be used in games, yes. And it won't resolve the XGC problem.
    Last edited by Omar; 09-05-2011 at 03:59.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Just let the x game chat wishes die here. This has been beaten like no other. It's not happening.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Just let the x game chat wishes die here. This has been beaten like no other. It's not happening.
    Amen to that...No XGC for PS3. Live with it.... Moving on........

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Sony: Hi MS, can I use your Readyboost technology to add XGC to the superior PS3?
    MS: Erm, no.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GreenBeret
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    No because memory sticks arent ram, you can not access ram yourself only the software, thats why ram is called Random Access Memory. memory sticks are in simplest terms miniture hard drives basically they are considered flash RAM because it has to store the data even when you unplug them, unlike normal RAM which forgets about it after its done the job. so no unless your talking about virtual RAM but then your limited to the speed limitation of usb 2 sony could make a small ram expansion pack which uses a usb slot but it would be a waste of money this far into gen. Frankely easiest way round it is have vita online and do a chat on that whille playing on ps3.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk
    How do you figure? its all pretty much the same just not onboard and it has been done. Windows Vista and 7 (Ready Boost)

/
    //M3

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by B18DelSolT View Post
    How do you figure? its all pretty much the same just not onboard and it has been done. Windows Vista and 7 (Ready Boost)
    Because ps3 uses custom ram, and most modern PCs use USB3.

Thank you itachi

Soldier 95B
    No cross game/party chat on the PS3 has not bothered me in the least. I knew it didn't have it when I bought it, and I never expected it. I moved on before I even bought the console.

Thread Information