Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Suggestion to change the Hall of Shame and Fame sub-forum to Hall of Fame

I would like to suggest that the current administration and my fellow PSU members welcome a change in the Hall of Fame and Shame sub-forum by removing the Shame portion. My reason for this is that it does not help PSU look like a mature and respectable community when we have a sub-forum that allows for its community to basically point and laugh at the failure of others. This is especially true when those incidents are being dug up from the past. A part of me believes that people -- most people anyway -- have the ability to change for the better, given some time. So while it's great to have a section of the forums where people can look through some threads that the community deems to consist of great quality, the Hall of Shame portion, on the other hand, is simply a waste of time. If we wanted to look at examples of the things we shouldn't post we would browse through the trash or, better yet, read the forum rules.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-05-2011 at 19:53.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Bah... I like the shame... I'm part of history! Nothing wrong with being laughed at from time to time. Builds character. (or pushes towards suicide )

Forum Dawg
    Items User name style
    ♥ ∈ ∅

The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity Abraham Lincoln
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    To be honest, we need to just get that section active again. Perhaps we need to lower the requirement for a thread to be inducted? I don't think one thread has been inducted yet.

But as for your request, I personally like the idea of a Hall of Shame. Like F34R said, it helps build our character.

Ultimate Veteran
    I still don't understand how digging up something from the past to point and laugh at benefits the idea that PSU has a mature and respectable community.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I still don't understand how digging up something from the past to point and laugh at benefits the idea that PSU has a mature and respectable community.
    But we're not mature and respectable. lol

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    But we're not mature and respectable. lol
    That doesn't mean we can't strive to be one though. I would like to think that as members of the staff you're trying to set an example for the community. People do enough pointing and laughing when the infractions are made public so why go the extra mile to put it in a Hall of Shame for future members to see? Maybe the reason, or one of the reasons, the Hall of Shame and Fame subforum has pretty much died is due to the fact that a part of it serves no purpose to benefit the community in a positive light. I can't believe I'm alone in saying this.

I'm a real boy!
    Why does PSU have to be a "mature and respectable" community? The news and front of the site is managed well, we're the community and should be allowed to be who we want to be.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    That doesn't mean we can't strive to be one though. I would like to think that as members of the staff you're trying to set an example for the community. People do enough pointing and laughing when the infractions are made public so why go the extra mile to put it in a Hall of Shame for future members to see? Maybe the reason, or one of the reasons, the Hall of Shame and Fame subforum has pretty much died is due to the fact that a part of it serves no purpose to benefit the community in a positive light. I can't believe I'm alone in saying this.
    But at the same time, I don't think we should take ourselves too seriously. This is an internet forum about video games after all. To be honest though, I don't really have a strong opinion on this, so I wouldn't vote against it. If enough people feel the same way as you, then I assume the staff would change it.

Anyway, I do think we need to change how threads are inducted. People don't want to count up to 20 for every thread that's nominated. It should be 10 at the most.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
    Why does PSU have to be a "mature and respectable" community? The news and front of the site is managed well, we're the community and should be allowed to be who we want to be.
    What? Lol. Isn't the whole point of appointing staff members to try and maintain a mature and respectable community?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    What? Lol. Isn't the whole point of appointing staff members to try and maintain a mature and respectable community?
    Uh, no. One can be completely immature about things, and still follow the rules. This isn't a personality changing forum. It's a gaming discussion forum.

Still NOT Better Than Cuguy
    Items Bruce WillisBrad PittChristian BaleInfinity WardGoogle ChromeModern Warfare 3AppleFacebook LogoUser name style
    You're a big poopy head.

Couldn't resist.

Add me on Steam: VintageElise

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    This isn't a personality changing forum.

ASSIMILATE

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    We are talking about a gaming forum here, not some high brow political forum. This place is suppose to be fun. You know we can still be mature and laugh at people when they make really dumb mistakes, I don't see anything wrong with and think it only adds history to this place.
    So I vote "no" on your idea.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I think this thread should go in the Hall of Shame.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I think this thread should go in the Hall of Shame.
    points and

Ultimate Veteran
    Uh, no. One can be completely immature about things, and still follow the rules. This isn't a personality changing forum. It's a gaming discussion forum.
    I know that PSU is a gaming discussion forum, F34R. But to say that people should be allowed to do anything is to imply that they have no concern for the rules since trolling and any other form of immaturity goes against that and is part of doing anything. Why is my suggestion to remove the Shame portion from the Hall of Shame and Fame sub-forum such a bad idea? Why is it a bad idea in general to strive to become a mature and respectable community? I was just trying to help.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I know that PSU is a gaming discussion forum, F34R. But to say that people should be allowed to do anything is to imply that they have no concern for the rules since trolling and any other form of immaturity goes against that and is part of doing anything. Why is my suggestion to remove the Shame portion from the Hall of Shame and Fame sub-forum such a bad idea? Why is it a bad idea in general to strive to become a mature and respectable community? I was just trying to help.
    Where did I say people should be allowed to do anything. I don't care how someone acts, as long as it's within the rules. Being immature has $#@! to do with trolling.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    ok guys, sorry this is kind of my fault. i set it at the level it was becuase I thought that it would require a good % of the community to want it. its not gone down as well as id hoped and I am looking at changing the target.- given the fact that arguably two of the best moments of my time here have failed to get in, something needs to be done. Just recently things have been a bit hectic, (working all day every day, plus sorting bills and stuff for my new house at uni, and now making arrangements to get back to uni and living in the real world at the same time- trying to catch up with everyone from home and school etc) and very soon after starting the HoF back again i was given the opportunity to be a smc, this takes priority with my forum time and im still somewhat learning the role. i was actually thinking about the hall of fame today and im going to sort it out.

I still owe kwes and another member sp for the banners they made for the respected threads. I haven't forgotten, its just the sp was coming from vintage, so i need to bug him for it.

I do understand your views BS, but tbh even the shame thread isnt for bad things per say, its for things like spiders epic fail. its just so much fail, but its not enough fail to be win (almost).
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Ultimate Veteran
    Where did I say people should be allowed to do anything. I don't care how someone acts, as long as it's within the rules. Being immature has $#@! to do with trolling.
    I was talking about Tyrien's post. My point was that the staff expects the community to act a certain way, hence the rules, which means you can't just be allowed to be whoever you want if it goes against those rules. So really, if trolling has $#@! to do with immaturity, what would you classify it as? It's simple. I feel that dedicating a portion of a subforum to basically point and laugh at other people's failures is wrong. And it obviously was for a certain time seeing as how it was a recent introduction. Now people are spinning this so that I look like a bad guy. I am not trying to take away your right to talk about videogames. I am not trying to turn PSU into a personality forum. I was just trying to help.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-05-2011 at 22:49.

Thread Information