Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Elite Guru
    J3ff3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,230
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    7,857 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style

    posting nothing but a quote

    why is this considered spam?

    is it better to quote someone and then state "i agree" afterwards? what else does this add to an otherwise 'spam filled' post?

    just quoting a previous user is, in my opinion, a very effective way of emphasising your agreement.

    i see nothing wrong with that tbh.
    Last edited by J3ff3; 09-17-2011 at 02:29.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

  2. #2
    Master Guru
    Silvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    21
    Posts
    7,100
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    28,043 (31,233 Banked)
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    why is this considered spam?

    is it better to quote someone and then state "i agree" afterwards? what else does this add to an otherwise 'spam filled' post?

    just quoting a previous user is, in my opinion, a very effective way of emphasising your agreement.

    i see nothing wrong with that tbh.

    Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

  3. #3
    PSU Trophy Manager
    Fenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,607
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    19,951 (1,000 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I dont know, on one hand it doesnt add anything to the thread. But on the other its sort of agreeing with the poster.

    Sig&Av by Kuro

    Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

    PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

  4. #4
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    why is this considered spam? is it better to quote someone and then state "i agree" afterwards? what else does this add to an otherwise 'spam filled' post?just quoting a previous user is, in my opinion, a very effective way of emphasising your agreement.i see nothing wrong with that tbh.
    I totally agree. I just laughed in disbelief when I saw that I actually got a warning and an infraction for this. Total bs. Its just another way of agreeing with the poster. Some members who didnt like the opinions I was agreeing with probably reported me. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 09-17-2011 at 04:05.

  5. #5
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,122
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,835 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    From what I see, that infraction was reversed because it was a mistake. Seems a little harsh unless you've received a PM previously about doing it.




  6. #6
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    From what I see, that infraction was reversed because it was a mistake. Seems a little harsh unless you've received a PM previously about doing it.
    Nope never received a pm or any kind of warning about it before.

  7. #7
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,122
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,835 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'd suggest taking that up with one of the Admin, or the Community Manager.




  8. #8
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'd suggest taking that up with one of the Admin, or the Community Manager.
    Oh yeah definitely. Already doing that.

  9. #9
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,950
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    70,946 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If we had some type of "Like" feature, then this should certainly be outlawed, since you would be able to agree with someone without wasting a post. But we don't have that...yet.

    That's the only reason why I can somewhat see why you guys do it. However, even if you just put "I agree" or "+rep", I feel that's still a pretty worthless post. Whenever I agree with something, I at least provide a small explanation as to why.

  10. #10
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,227
    Rep Power
    98
    Points
    27,276 (0 Banked)
    I don't care if you agree with someone. I want to know why you agree with someone. A quote doesn't tell me anything.....so I think it's a bit pointless to quote someone when you are not going to add a comment of your own.

    It does not bother me that people do it though...

    @Ixion, yeah, why don't we have a like button? another forum I visit has that feature and you can just click like to show you agree etc.
    Last edited by sainraja; 09-17-2011 at 04:56.

  11. #11
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,950
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    70,946 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    @Ixion, yeah, why don't we have a like button? another forum I visit has that feature and you can just click like to show you agree etc.
    We might see it at some point. That's all I can tell you.

  12. #12
    Elite Guru
    *goo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,282
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    32,245 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    That's the only reason why I can somewhat see why you guys do it. However, even if you just put "I agree" or "+rep", I feel that's still a pretty worthless post. Whenever I agree with something, I at least provide a small explanation as to why.
    That's really not any different to using 'this' or 'QFT' yet these are acceptable practices the internet over, for the best part. If someone makes a point/comment you completely agree with, why shouldn't you be able to just say you agree? Should a poster be held to account as to why they agree?

    I guess I'm a little concerned as there are far less valuable posts hitting the boards at times. A brief example is a post just to swear unnecessarily and take advantage of the relaxed guidelines. That's a completely different discussion, however.

    Like and thanks buttons are required, by the looks of things.


  13. #13
    Elite Guru
    J3ff3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,230
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    7,857 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    that's true, a 'like' button would be quite good, but in all honesty does the occasional quote really make this site bloated?

    i only visit one site that does this, and i like it. it adds a very strong emphasis to a post, almost disregarding others. which, despite the PC 'everyone is entitled to an opinion' view, is often necessary.

    i didn't know the infraction had been reversed, but tbh radgamer was far more infraction worthy when he was posting 'i agree' after every post. i'm fairly sure i started agreeing with his agreement in a few threads and it wasn't noteworthy, didn't receive any infraction, and hopefully made at least one person laugh. not sure why "blank quoting" is attracting any more attention, or why it wouldn't have a few supporters.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    unicron7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,761
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    7,042 (0 Banked)
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I guess it gets kind of annoying when someone does it in every thread several times without posting anything themselves. Would be great if we had a like button to get rid of the horse$#@!. Normally people get on a forum to post things they type, or express their ideas on a matter. Quoting someone just doesn't cut it if you ask me. You need to at least explain WHY you agree with what you are quoting. Otherwise you come off sounding like a $#@!ing parrot on someones shoulder.
    undefined


    I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

  15. #15
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,122
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,835 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    I guess it gets kind of annoying when someone does it in every thread several times without posting anything themselves. Would be great if we had a like button to get rid of the horse$#@!. Normally people get on a forum to post things they type, or express their ideas on a matter. Quoting someone just doesn't cut it if you ask me. You need to at least explain WHY you agree with what you are quoting. Otherwise you come off sounding like a $#@!ing parrot on someones shoulder.
    undefined
    so according to you, one should have to explain why they agree... and posts that are "THIS!!!", or "AGREED!!!", and the like, shouldn't be allowed either eh?

    That should be just as annoying right? I mean, why do you agree, or what the hell does "THIS" mean? That isn't any less spam than blank quoting someone.

    I don't think it's that big a deal unless someone has already been warned from doing it. If someone has been warned to stop posting in such a manner, then they should stop. Should they not comply, then an warning, infractions, etc., are justified. I think it's a little harsh to give someone a warning when no one has said anything about a particular behavior for quite a while; especially when mods and other staff have been posting in these threads and have had ample opportunity to warn a member of such behavior as being against the rules.

    You don't just decide something is against the rules, and then bring up a bunch of posts that have been ignored for a period of time until they seem useful to penalize someone for.
    Last edited by F34R; 09-19-2011 at 06:03.




  16. #16
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    3,462,332 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Simple fact guys.

    Quoting without explaining is not a rule violation. Now, having said that, I do think it is polite and respectful to at least say WHY you are quoting someone.

    We will be discussing as staff if we are going to make this part of the no spam rule.
    LMAO

  17. #17
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,122
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,835 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So I'm assuming here, that since it's not against the rule, then at this point, no one should be officially warned nor penalized in any way, prior to the new rule going into effect... correct?




  18. #18
    Earthbound
    dc89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Taking my seat at the Fancy Pets Council
    Age
    25
    Posts
    15,674
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    2,210 (72 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If what Cuguy has said is true then I need to reverse the warning Rad got for doing this. I will do that now.

    Edit: Done.
    Last edited by dc89; 09-19-2011 at 09:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

  19. #19
    Elite Guru
    J3ff3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,230
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    7,857 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    so according to you, one should have to explain why they agree... and posts that are "THIS!!!", or "AGREED!!!", and the like, shouldn't be allowed either eh?

    That should be just as annoying right? I mean, why do you agree, or what the hell does "THIS" mean? That isn't any less spam than blank quoting someone.

    I don't think it's that big a deal unless someone has already been warned from doing it. If someone has been warned to stop posting in such a manner, then they should stop. Should they not comply, then an warning, infractions, etc., are justified. I think it's a little harsh to give someone a warning when no one has said anything about a particular behavior for quite a while; especially when mods and other staff have been posting in these threads and have had ample opportunity to warn a member of such behavior as being against the rules.

    You don't just decide something is against the rules, and then bring up a bunch of posts that have been ignored for a period of time until they seem useful to penalize someone for.
    this
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

  20. #20
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    I guess it gets kind of annoying when someone does it in every thread several times without posting anything themselves.
    Every thread several times? Yeah right.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 09-19-2011 at 11:40.

  21. #21
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    so according to you, one should have to explain why they agree... and posts that are "THIS!!!", or "AGREED!!!", and the like, shouldn't be allowed either eh? That should be just as annoying right? I mean, why do you agree, or what the hell does "THIS" mean? That isn't any less spam than blank quoting someone.I don't think it's that big a deal unless someone has already been warned from doing it. If someone has been warned to stop posting in such a manner, then they should stop. Should they not comply, then an warning, infractions, etc., are justified. I think it's a little harsh to give someone a warning when no one has said anything about a particular behavior for quite a while; especially when mods and other staff have been posting in these threads and have had ample opportunity to warn a member of such behavior as being against the rules.You don't just decide something is against the rules, and then bring up a bunch of posts that have been ignored for a period of time until they seem useful to penalize someone for.

  22. #22
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,122
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,835 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    this
    Oh you guys...




  23. #23
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    3,462,332 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    LMAO

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.