Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do you need GPS for? Most smartphones got it anyway?!

@no i'd never pay for a dataplan just for the vita.
    The gps is targeting the near app and more to come I'm sure

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I think I am going to just get the $250 wifi only version. I can use my wifi adapter and download stuff I need.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    cant you just like.. hook it up to your phone and use its 3G connection that way? cant be much more, can it?
    If your phone can act as a wifi hotspot this should be possible.
    Although Vita would see the connection as wifi connection and not as 3G.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Boboulus
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That's for Japan... The US will be using a data plan.

More like $30 for 2GB.

I'd like a show of hands, who would actually pay a monthly fee for a data plan on Vita?
    Don't you have prepaid sim-card in the US? We do in sweden so it will be very cheap.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    you have pre-paid sim cards for data?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Boboulus
    Yes and they not that expensive either. You can get them all over europe, just went to poland and bought 1GB of prepaid data for my iPad for about $5 and its about the same price in sweden. And that should last pretty long in the vita.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    In the US Pre-paid SIM cards are nowhere near as common as in the EU. They do exists, but data is usually done on a daily access (usually about $1.50 for a day of data access it will depend on the card.) This would be $45/mo. Most users here of prepaid sims are used on emergency or limited usage phones, everyone else is on big contracts to get the phones cheap/free.

When I go to the EU I do grab a SIM card for data and voice, don't have a good option when in china, last time I had $1600 in data charges, but it was for work. So it depends where you're at. I'll be in Turkey next week for 3 days, I think I'll just turn international data roaming off, and use the hotel WiFi for access as I won't need it at the customer site.

Apprentice
    Items VitaPS3 Slim
    Some smart phones can make Wifi. That's the best way to go.

The problem with using phone for wifi hotspots is that, unless you are on at&t or a 4G area, you can't use it with voice services simultaneously. Not a big deal necessarily. Also, wifi hotspots kill your phone battery and smart phone battery life is bad enough as it is. I'd like to keep my phone charged on the go, where I'd be using 3G, in case I need my phone. If you want to use 3G services I'd say the 3G version is worth it, especially since it is only $50 more. My deal is you are already spending $250 on a handheld gaming system, if you can spend that much for such a device another $50 shouldnt be a big deal. Also if you ever want to have the convenience of just turning on 3G on your Vita and go you have it. I do agree that we need more details on what exactly 3G will do for the Vita but I've preordered the bundle already.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Where did you get that idea that HotSpoting kills voice services? I can hotspot and make a call (and use my BT headset) and use GPS Apps to navigate at the same time and I'm not on AT&T. I'm on T-mobile.

As for killing the battery, sure it will consume a lot more battery if you're continuously consuming data over 3G, but so will running the 3G on the Vita. And why pay $50 more + a monthy fee for 20MB/day of data access? And if you only need a limited amount of data access, then the enabling tethering for a minute or so on your phone is no more a pain than enabling the 3G for a few minutes on the PS Vita to get the data. Also, if I'm not pulling data while HotSpoting, I'm not consuming much more power than simply using 3G (3G access is a lot more power consuming than the WiFi side of things.)

The real question is when are you going to be using the PS Vita where you don't have data access but want it? For me, the time frame are either relatively short, or I've got a power source (i.e. traveling in a car while the wife is driving.)

OK add T-Mobile to my post, sprint and Verizon you cannot be using 3G voice and 3G data simultaneously. Wifi doesn't burn a lot necessarily but hotspot consumes more power than a simple wifi connection, maybe not a whole lot more but in my experience it is significantly more than 3G or wifi alone. Of course your mileage may vary. My point is you are giving up a lot of convenience by using a wifi hotspots and possibly incurring other costs by doing so, an $50 a month is for the prepaid cards. You can get a tablet plan for $15 a month for 250mb or $25 a month for 2GB if i recall correctly. Both cheaper than adding wifi hotspots to my sprint phone for a month, granted they will prorate daily for hotspots service. I have been on the hotspots bandwagon myself before, but realistically I see a value in Native 3G capability in a device if I'm going to use it. If it were $150 more like most tablets I'd be a little less likely to get it. At $50 I think it is a decent value.

I use prepaid 3G which is cheap..using vodafone network

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by bmatt View Post
    OK add T-Mobile to my post, sprint and Verizon you cannot be using 3G voice and 3G data simultaneously. Wifi doesn't burn a lot necessarily but hotspot consumes more power than a simple wifi connection, maybe not a whole lot more but in my experience it is significantly more than 3G or wifi alone. Of course your mileage may vary. My point is you are giving up a lot of convenience by using a wifi hotspots and possibly incurring other costs by doing so, an $50 a month is for the prepaid cards. You can get a tablet plan for $15 a month for 250mb or $25 a month for 2GB if i recall correctly. Both cheaper than adding wifi hotspots to my sprint phone for a month, granted they will prorate daily for hotspots service. I have been on the hotspots bandwagon myself before, but realistically I see a value in Native 3G capability in a device if I'm going to use it. If it were $150 more like most tablets I'd be a little less likely to get it. At $50 I think it is a decent value.
    Ok, so if you're stuck w/ a CDMA carrier with one of the phones that doesn't support 3G+Voice simulatanously and you have to play your games while you're on the phone, and are willing to be limited then it might be something to consider (or consider going to AT&T or T-mobile.)

On T-mobile technically they say they'll charge $15/mo to hotspot, I've been doing it for over a year and I've never had a charge. So the cheaper argument even if I did have to pay the $15/mo flies right out the window.

All this said, yes if you got to have it while you're in locations that frequently don't have WiFi available and possibly stuck w/ phone plan on a phone that won't let you easily hotspot, and ASSUMING the PS Vita will support pre-paid data SIMs (no guaranty on this - they may be locked to the Verizon SIM.) Then it may be reasonable. For me and I'd bet most of us, it's not worth it.

I'll bet that the WiFi only version will outsell the 3G version by at least 5 to 1.

Apprentice

I don't mind paying the extra $50 upfront, But since I don't know how much at&t is going to charge to use data that's what puts me off on spending the extra 50. If it was like a kindle where you did not have to bother with contracts or prepaid sim cards I would all ready have it paid off. But seeing how it will be an extra 50 plus what ever they charge and its limited, its just easier to use my hot spot, plus I work for Sprint so I get the hot spot for a discounted rate,

15. Likes F34R wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reekme View Post
    I don't mind paying the extra $50 upfront, But since I don't know how much at&t is going to charge to use data that's what puts me off on spending the extra 50. If it was like a kindle where you did not have to bother with contracts or prepaid sim cards I would all ready have it paid off. But seeing how it will be an extra 50 plus what ever they charge and its limited, its just easier to use my hot spot, plus I work for Sprint so I get the hot spot for a discounted rate,
    Definitely too many variables to justify what you can actually use the 3g for anyways... I'm with you on this.

Forum Sage
    Sony should have done what Amazon has done with the Kindle and ensured that all their customers who buy the 3G version get access all the time without all of the other bs.

Dedicated Member
    AT&T (USA) charges $14.99 for 250mb and $25 for 2GB for their data only plans months to months,no contracts so I expect it to me the same price for the PV.
    Also I'm wondering is the PS Vita will have HSPA+ ? If it does that would be awesome news since AT&T supports that so you can get almost 4G speeds that way,
    Quote Originally Posted by a member on slickdeal
    hey guys, The PS3 sounds great but I don't know if my computer could handle it. It's a 1.5GHZ processor and 512GHZ ram according to the box. Could I run the PS3? Thanks.

Thread Information