Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Is this true? YLOD related...

Ok, so as you may know I have the YLOD atm. I just contacted a local place that can repair it for me. On their site they said they could only gurantee it working for 30 days, so I asked them about that and this was the reply..

Hi David

The repair will not last for very long. Don’t let anyone fool you into thinking it will.
    We use the same process as Sony to reflow and even their refurbs are failing after a max 6 months

Our advice, get it fixed, get rid of it.

As a working unit you should get £90.00 for it.
    Our service includes the following:

Pickup and delivery
    Removal and return of all disks and dvds/blurays etc
    Replacing thermal grease with high quality artic silver compound
    Reflow of unit
    Internal clean to remove dust etc

Hope this is of help
    Is this true? Has anyone here got the YLOD repaired and still working after 6 months? Really unsure what to do now, either way I need to get it repaired so I can deactivate my account on it. (I only have the one free activation left after that gamesharing mishap a year or 2 ago). They are charging £50 for the service described in the quote.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Elder
    I say let them do it. I wish I had someone pick my YLOD ps3 and fix it for me (even with $50). I'm on my last free activation right now, if something happens to this one, I will have to change username. Although my slim seems very strong.
    Forgot to tell you that I followed the youtube videos about this and tried to fix it myself but I failed. I don't recommend trying to fix it yourself

bilalshah
    Want to fix your YLOD?!
    Here is a fast, easy, and simple way to fix the YLOD!
    Check it out -> http://tinyurl.com/3lz8epu

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by moots View Post
    I say let them do it. I wish I had someone pick my YLOD ps3 and fix it for me (even with $50). I'm on my last free activation right now, if something happens to this one, I will have to change username. Although my slim seems very strong.
    Forgot to tell you that I followed the youtube videos about this and tried to fix it myself but I failed. I don't recommend trying to fix it yourself
    cant you call sony?

Do you guys not have access to the qriocity.com site to deactivate devices?

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Guru
    Here's the problem with refurbing with Sony:
    You dont get YOUR system back, or at the very least it can't gauranteed. What this means is if you have your own upgraded harddrive that you used in the system when you get "your" system back from Sony it wont recognize the drive and will ask you to format it destroying all your data. if you have the drive backed up on an external source, you will only get your game saves, MP3s and photos back, forcing you to redownload every bit of content.

That is bad news But I can tell you Bot my friend and I have had PS3's refurbished and they lasted longer than a year. Although My system eventually needed another refurbishment. This particular PS3 works fine for the most part, there are little questionable things it does but, no noise and I've had it since June and it hasnt really shown any major issues that it didnt have when I first started it up.

Okay now here's the things about the 5 downloads. You can have had several PS3s and need your account cleared out. Now they originally told me they'd "never do this for me again" but the fact of the matter is that Playstations are going to break down and if you have relatives you likely have shared content with them. I shared with my "Cousin" and his 2 playstations (one Japanese and one US) then you count 2 PSPs (both mine) and when I got my first refurb it was officially over the limit. I had to call tell them the serial numbers of my cousin's 2 PS3s and one of my own old system to prove they were in my family to have my account cleared out. Now at this point I'm square one again and am now safe, but I still have my cousin with one activation (because I told him to deactivate my account on the Japanese refurb system due to it being a HUGE hassle if he has to send it to japan again to be fixed) and a PSP (I stopped using one) for a total of 3 systems, Then a year later THAT refurb died and I needed a NEW refurb.

Remember this: They can't remove the system you send to them from your account (and you never had the option at all if it's a YLOD situation) so I have 4 systems on my account as of now. If THIS system dies I officially have 5 systems when it gets refurbed because the dead ones dont get removed. If I go out and buy a brand new slim I'm at 6 activations again and it forces me to have to have the account cleared, through no fault of my own Sony is REQUIRED to clear your account because they simply cant remove individual refurbs which arent your fault. Just make sure you keep the serial number of the old system (and any you own) handy to prove you arent trying to game the process.

And the people you game shared with? unless they know your new password they shouldnt have access to your content anymore after it's cleared because their systems arent registered with you they'd need to log in as you once to refresh the permissions and without your password it's a dead end for them.

...on the other hand if you get it fixed by one of these random repair services you can deactivate it yourself, but when you buy another system you may still be in the danger zone, and if you buy a Vita you may still find yourself not being able to activate it on your account. With the Vita coming there are definiatly going to be some calls to customer serivce when they cant download games from their account due to buying multiple PS3s due to the YLOD.

Wow, that's new. I've never even heard of this before now... which is insanely retarded that they don't let you know this is an option. Especially since I see I still have a PSP on my account that I dont use anymore putting me already at 5 systems... I'd deactivate one (and the YLOD refurb) but I have no idea which one is which.
    Last edited by Alpha2; 10-15-2011 at 06:33.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    cant you call sony?

You cannot deactivate a PS3 from that site. You can count how many you have activated and for what but the deactivation option will tell you to do it locally from your PS3.

fred1981
    this is true from my experience, mine had YLOD, sent it in and broke 4 months later, just 1 month after the repair warranty for sony. I have them fix it a second time but this time, I'm trading it in before it breaks.

fred1981
    I think it is great the shop is being honest with you, none of the idiots at Sony will tell you that.

Ancient
    @Alpha2
    I called Sony and the deactivated my system activations

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

I added a Fan Mod to my console 10 months and going strong

I fixed my YLOD in October 2009, and it got YLOD again in June 2010. It will ALWAYS get it again even after fixing it, so sell it and get a slim.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Well what do you know? 3 weeks !! 3 weeks is all it has lasted !!!

UNCHARTED 3 coming in the post any minute now and it is dead again. I suppose the only upside is it is still within the 30 day warranty and I can get it fixed again for free....but this is ridiculous.

I was trying to make it last til Christmas so I can get a slim and deactivate it..but I can see Im gonna have to go even easier on it than I have been !! I just wish Sony would deactivate all my other account activations, but I have no idea what systems they are activated on. People from this forum, probably long gone.
    Trophy-licious!

Super Elite
    Mine lasted for at least 7-8 months before biting the dust. I got a new slim before that anyway and only used it for blurays...never took care of it so duist built up after a while i guess. Also sony should beable to deactive any ps3's with our account on them mate.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggers21 View Post
    Mine lasted for at least 7-8 months before biting the dust. I got a new slim before that anyway and only used it for blurays...never took care of it so duist built up after a while i guess. Also sony should beable to deactive any ps3's with our account on them mate.
    I tried it before, they won't do it..they thought it was suspicious that I didn't know what PS3s my account was activated on. There is no way they will do it now either cause they recorded everything I've already said to them.
    Trophy-licious!

Bioxent
    I heard only 0.1% of all PS3 has variety to have that YROD

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bioxent View Post
    I heard only 0.1% of all PS3 has variety to have that YROD
    i heard that only 0.1% of your posts can be believed. lets swap sources...

@OP
    if you're ever near Reading bring your console and i'll do it for a tenner. i fact, i'll show you how to do it yourself. i do ps3s in my local pub for a beer or two. takes about an hour.

in all honesty, they are so cheap now i'd buy another one, but its up to you, the offer is there. i've done 3, all still working 2 months on. the place you sent it to probably didn't use flux. that helps immensely.

but yeah, everything is temporary, but just keep fixing it.
    Last edited by J3ff3; 11-03-2011 at 03:04.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

BrandonPS3
    Does the PS3 Slim get the YLOD?

Good luck..

I would do it.

Superior Member
    I got the YLOD last Tuesday night, and I tried to fix the system my self, it took me a long time as I was being extra careful and was very unsure of tearing it all apart and losing something. The fix worked... for all of 15 seconds. It came back on brought me to the set the time/date screen and then YLOD'd again. I tried to fix again and no go.

Each time you have it repaired it will work for a shorter amount of time. If you get that same unit fixed again I'm guessing you'll get a week out of it tops.

I'm now going to try and find some one local to fix it just so I can de-activate it and do a data transfer.

Dedicated Member
    All these posts seem to refer to reflowing the chip. Has anyone had thier system reballed?

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    @Alpha2
    Quote Originally Posted by lowrencese View Post
    They do it, no problem?
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post
    All these posts seem to refer to reflowing the chip. Has anyone had thier system reballed?

I've heard by a few that is the best possible fix and will give the longest life to the repair, but I can't find anyone to do that.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P51-SN95 View Post
    I've heard by a few that is the best possible fix and will give the longest life to the repair, but I can't find anyone to do that.
    To my knowledge it should be a permanent repair. I don't want to drop $120+ on getting it reballed only to have to replace the whole dang system.

I'm viewing this on my phone so u can't see your profile. Where are you that you can't get it repaired?

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post
    To my knowledge it should be a permanent repair. I don't want to drop $120+ on getting it reballed only to have to replace the whole dang system.

I'm viewing this on my phone so u can't see your profile. Where are you that you can't get it repaired?

I'm in Erie PA, I just meant that I was hoping to find someone local to do it, but haven't had any luck. Plus I'm afraid I damaged the unit more when I tried my second repair. When you unplug the battery, instead of the plug coming apart it actually ripped the other half of the connector off the board. The pins were left on the board so I didn't know if I could just press it back on or not. Seemed like I should be able to.

I found this place that does the Reballing and more
    http://www.gophermods.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=35&gclid=COqp7-zj2awCFYqA5QodPVNPrQ

b
    ut they won't repair it if you've already attempted a repair your self. Looks like they have all the right equipment to do it and offer a 1 year warranty

Then this place says that all fixes, even Reballing are just Temp fixes and they system will eventually fail again.
    http://www.rsolpc.com/faq/recovery-faq.htm?gclid=CPKs1-vj2awCFQnf4AodhBSTEQ

T
    his place says they will fix your system even if you've already opened your PS3.
    http://www.ps-pros.com/(X(1)S(ftxqw0...ookieSupport=1

Thread Information