Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
Results 51 to 71 of 71
  1. #51
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,072
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    142,969 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Then it's the TV showing the differences in the game...

    I think you guys are misunderstanding your own words here.

    If two versions of the game are captures from the frame buffer, there isn't any settings on your TV that is going to make one have features the other does not lol.

    I'd like to see an explanation of what you're seeing on the 360 version that isn't there on the PS3 version, due to your TV settings. Please be as specific as possible so that I can make a like comparison using the same info from the game.

    I'm going to be pissed if you guys make me go rent both versions just to prove you wrong lol.

  2. #52
    Super Elite
    Minnzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,270
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    2,616 (0 Banked)
    I got to the point it was playable, some horrid pop in and occasional freezing/low FPS but it worked, I did one mission but had to have a break... came back to discover my refund request was honoured and I could no longer play it good riddance for now to be honest.
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

  3. #53
    Master Poster

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,485
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    6,049 (0 Banked)
    updated ati drivers (found here) seem to work

    Just use Driver Sweeper reboot and install the new drivers if your still having any problems

    Im on a 6870 and after doing those steps everything is fine aside from very minor pop in


  4. #54
    Superior Member
    sneezymarble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    981
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    3,456 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Naturally if you are looking at comparison pictures they will both be on the same resolution or it would not be a fair comparison.
    That makes no sense at all. If we were doing a graphics comparison between, say, the PS3 and the 360 versions don't you think facts about resolution are relavent? The point of a comparison isn't to make both versions look identical. It's to see what, if any, differences there are. If the 360 version does run natively at 1080p and the PS3 version runs at 720p, that seems to me an extremely relavent detail and it would be nothing short of idiotic to make a graphical comparison between the two by downscaling the 360 version to 720p. Now, if the 360 version only runs at 1080p because it's upscaled from 720p, then it would probably be appropriate to downscale any captured images to compare them with the PS3, since, after all, in that case the native image, the one we ought to be comparing, would not be in 1080p.

    When I play the 360 version my tv says 1080p. When I play the PS3 version my tv says 720p. Not sure what else you want me to say...
    Oh, well that settles it then, because there's no way for digital video devices to expand lower resolution images into higher resolution images. I can make my TV say it's running in 1080p while playing Super Mario Bros from my HTPC, therefore Super Mario Bros is natively 1080p, right?

    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/220530/carmack-rage-runs-faster-on-xbox-360/

    T
    hat link says the PS3 version was only running half the fps as the 360 version. PS3 would drop below 30fps if it was 1080p which is why it only does 720p and the Xbox does 1080p.
    First, that link doesn't say a single thing about resolution. You're completely ignoring the fact that the id tech 5 engine can dynamically adjust more than the images total resolution (e.g. texture resolution, number of high resolution textures displayed, etc). It simply does not automatically follow from the report that the PS3 version sometimes drops below 30fps that the 360 version runs at 1080p, since there are other ways the engine can compensate for frame drops than lowering the resolution (from 1080p to 720p as you seem to suggest).

    Do you have a link or anything? Not sure why everyone thinks all 1080p is upscaled?


    It's not the case that everyone thinks all 1080p is upscaled. Please show me anything anyone has said here that implies that "everyone thinks all 1080p is upscaled". Clearly, not all 1080p is upscaled. However, some is, and there's simply no evidence that Rage on the 360 is natively 1080p besides the rather weak anecdotal evidence that your TV says "1080p" when you play the game.

    As to links, in an earlier post I mentioned a website that posted what the author of the article on that website seems to suggest are direct feed screenshots of the 360 and PS3 and both were at 720p. Additionally, you can read a more in-depth console comparison here. Notice that they do agree with you that the PS3 version lags a bit behind the 360 version in some respects. But, further notice, that in addition to mentioning the dynamic nature of resolution with Rage, they don't cite a single case of the game running on either console at greater than 1280x720. To the contrary, they cite cases of both consoles dynamically adjusting the resolution to far below 1280x720p.
    Last edited by sneezymarble; 10-10-2011 at 18:42.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

  5. #55
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,278
    Rep Power
    141
    Points
    75,574 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I make perfect sense.

  6. #56
    Superior Member
    sneezymarble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    981
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    3,456 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I make perfect sense.
    I rest my case.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

  7. #57
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,072
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    142,969 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The game isn't 1080p, period. This is the second time I've said it now.

    If the PS3 version is showing 720p and the 360 version is showing 1080p, then you have those options marked in the system settings. The game is the same max resolution on both systems, 1280 x 720.

    I asked for Lethal and Rad to point to some specific examples of the 360 version looking better than the PS3 version, but I've yet to see those examples so that I could compare them. What you see from the frame buffer is what you get. Anything beyond that, your TV is manipulating. Your tv isn't somehow going to show shadows on one version that aren't on the other, etc.

  8. #58
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,278
    Rep Power
    141
    Points
    75,574 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The game isn't 1080p, period. This is the second time I've said it now.

    If the PS3 version is showing 720p and the 360 version is showing 1080p, then you have those options marked in the system settings. The game is the same max resolution on both systems, 1280 x 720.

    I asked for Lethal and Rad to point to some specific examples of the 360 version looking better than the PS3 version, but I've yet to see those examples so that I could compare them. What you see from the frame buffer is what you get. Anything beyond that, your TV is manipulating. Your tv isn't somehow going to show shadows on one version that aren't on the other, etc.
    I explained exactly how they are different. You will not see these differences in the videos you see online. You can only see them if you compare them yourself. You will immediately notice the differences.

  9. #59
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,948
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    105,482 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    No, lethal, Sneezy is correct here. I'm sorry, but you're wrong man.

    And the reason most '1080p' console games are upscaled is because the hardware cannot take it. Insufficient memory and bandwidth being the two chief causes.


  10. #60
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,278
    Rep Power
    141
    Points
    75,574 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    No, lethal, Sneezy is correct here. I'm sorry, but you're wrong man.

    And the reason most '1080p' console games are upscaled is because the hardware cannot take it. Insufficient memory and bandwidth being the two chief causes.
    I am not talking about 1080p. I never said anyone was wrong about it not being true 1080p. That is not the point of the thread. If the PS3 version attempted to upscale to 1080p like the 360 does, it would drop in frame rate. This is why many PS3 games only do 720p.

  11. #61
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,948
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    105,482 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm confused.


  12. #62
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,690
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    96,131 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I am not talking about 1080p. I never said anyone was wrong about it not being true 1080p. That is not the point of the thread. If the PS3 version attempted to upscale to 1080p like the 360 does, it would drop in frame rate. This is why many PS3 games only do 720p.
    I didn't know upscaling needed a significant amount of processing power.

  13. #63
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,278
    Rep Power
    141
    Points
    75,574 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I didn't know upscaling needed a significant amount of processing power.
    Apparently it is enough to cause frame rate drops. Not sure why the PS3 can not seem to maintain the frame rate upscaling but 9 out of 10 games are 720p only where 9 out of 10 on the 360 offer 1080p.

  14. #64
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,690
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    96,131 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Apparently it is enough to cause frame rate drops. Not sure why the PS3 can not seem to maintain the frame rate upscaling but 9 out of 10 games are 720p only where 9 out of 10 on the 360 offer 1080p.
    Oh yea, I remember now. The 360 has a dedicated chip that does the work...either that or they designed it for it...I remember reading about it.

    I hate it when I want to write "about it" and I accidentally end up writing "abou tit".

  15. #65
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,072
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    142,969 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I explained exactly how they are different. You will not see these differences in the videos you see online. You can only see them if you compare them yourself. You will immediately notice the differences.
    Ok, this doesn't make any sense whatsoever Lethal lol. If I capture directly from the console - the same footage from each console, and then compare them... they are the same. Only when you put them through to your TV are they different? Then it's the TV making the difference, not the platforms. Are you saying because these are internet videos, that they don't show the differences? If you're maintaining that, then I can understand that. The way you've presented it, that direct frame buffer captures won't show differences in the two versions, which is bs.

  16. #66
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,690
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    96,131 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok, this doesn't make any sense whatsoever Lethal lol. If I capture directly from the console - the same footage from each console, and then compare them... they are the same. Only when you put them through to your TV are they different? Then it's the TV making the difference, not the platforms. Are you saying because these are internet videos, that they don't show the differences? If you're maintaining that, then I can understand that. The way you've presented it, that direct frame buffer captures won't show differences in the two versions, which is bs.
    exactly what i was trying to say, you've just explained it better.

  17. #67
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,278
    Rep Power
    141
    Points
    75,574 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok, this doesn't make any sense whatsoever Lethal lol. If I capture directly from the console - the same footage from each console, and then compare them... they are the same. Only when you put them through to your TV are they different? Then it's the TV making the difference, not the platforms. Are you saying because these are internet videos, that they don't show the differences? If you're maintaining that, then I can understand that. The way you've presented it, that direct frame buffer captures won't show differences in the two versions, which is bs.
    This is exactly what I am saying. And you will see this when you compare them yourself on the same settings. And no it is not bs....

  18. #68
    Superior Member
    sneezymarble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    981
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    3,456 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I am not talking about 1080p. I never said anyone was wrong about it not being true 1080p.
    You didn't?:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS
    The back of the case says 1080p on the 360. The PS3 only says 720p. Is there proof that the 360 version is not 1080p? Naturally if you are looking at comparison pictures they will both be on the same resolution or it would not be a fair comparison.

    When I play the 360 version my tv says 1080p. When I play the PS3 version my tv says 720p. Not sure what else you want me to say...

    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/220530/carmack-rage-runs-faster-on-xbox-360/


    T
    hat link says the PS3 version was only running half the fps as the 360 version. PS3 would drop below 30fps if it was 1080p which is why it only does 720p and the Xbox does 1080p.
    And this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS
    That is not the point of the thread.
    From the OP:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS
    Bottom line - Those with both consoles may want to grab this game on the 360. It is full 1080p and seems to run a little better.
    Last edited by sneezymarble; 10-11-2011 at 06:19.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

  19. #69
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,878
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    20,546 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    This is exactly what I am saying. And you will see this when you compare them yourself on the same settings. And no it is not bs....
    Pics or it didn't happen

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  20. #70
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,278
    Rep Power
    141
    Points
    75,574 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen
    Pics or it didn't happen? That does not make any sense................

    Just take the thread for what it is. 360 version is better than the PS3 version. If you own both consoles and want the game, I suggest the 360 version for the reason I already explained. If you guys do not own a 360 then please do not bother posting in the thread. I only created the thread to help anyone decide which console to get it on. This is my last reply to this thread and it can be locked at any time.
    Last edited by Lethal; 10-11-2011 at 15:08.

  21. #71
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    22
    Posts
    17,291
    Rep Power
    106
    Points
    47,126 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Closed at the OP's request.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.