Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Do you like Version Comparison threads?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are informative and fun.

9 75.00%
  • No, they fan flames and cause unneeded fuss.

3 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog

Version Comparison threads- your thoughts- love em or hate em?

Getting sick to death of comparison threads, the people that inhabit them, and the flames that are fanned with them. Anyone else as sick of them as I am? Pointless and ultimately don't matter. Let me hear your thoughts on them. Also, vote if you want. Your call.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I dunno about fun, but I think its interesting to see. Especially if one VASTLY out-performs the other.

If you don't wanna look at them, don't open the threads dude, they are in their own section now as well.

In fact, I should probably move this thread to that section

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    I dunno about fun, but I think its interesting to see. Especially if one VASTLY out-performs the other.

If you don't wanna look at them, don't open the threads dude, they are in their own section now as well.

In fact, I should probably move this thread to that section
    Alrighty. Was wondering where I needed to post this anyway. Move away.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Alrighty. Was wondering where I needed to post this anyway. Move away.
    Done

Anyway, now that they are in their own section here, which is going to be heavily moderated by the way, it will keep them all here so that they don't scatter the forum and you don't need to worry about them unless you visit the section.

When discussed in a civil manner, the threads are fine imo

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Soldier 95B
    I find them informative and fun. And if people have no desire to read those types of threads, well then, don't read them. Just skip past them. Just like when I see a thread about a game that doesn't interest me, nobody forces me to read that thread. I just ignore it.

It's human nature to compare and contrast and champion a favorite. You do know that Chevrolet > Ford, right?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Done

Anyway, now that they are in their own section here, which is going to be heavily moderated by the way, it will keep them all here so that they don't scatter the forum and you don't need to worry about them unless you visit the section.

When discussed in a civil manner, the threads are fine imo
    I honestly just don't see the relevance it brings. The differences are often so minuscule, but yet any discussion on them usually brings instigation and schoolyard rivalry bull****. Why not just save yourself the headaches as staff and just stop the threads/ban them? A lot of grief saved over something that ultimately doesn't matter. It never has and never will.

Forum Sage

I think they are needed. If someone has multiple platforms and they're unsure what version to get then the comparison threads give them insight as to the pro's and con's of each version. If there is a game out on console that I want to buy I will always find out what console will give me the better performance out of the two. You don't get both consoles just to end up getting the short stick all the time.

As others have said, if you don't like comparison threads, don't go in to them. I don't even go into threads that has nothing of interest for me, others should do the same. It only becomes flamebait if you don't like what you hear in them. There's a few users on this forum that seem to get bent out of shape that people actually like to be able to buy the best version of a game. No matter what people say - games aren't always equal and to some, the little differences can make purchasing decisions alot easier.
    Last edited by BBK..; 10-07-2011 at 15:59.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Xbox wins PS3
    PS3 wins xbox
    PC wins xbox and PS3.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    It's human nature to compare and contrast and champion a favorite. You do know that Chevrolet > Ford, right?
    This is exactly right, its fun, but people get all **** and defensive and then your labeled "fanboy".

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Xbox wins PS3
    PS3 wins xbox
    PC wins xbox and PS3.
    Gamer wins when his hunger for gaming is satiated by whatever console.
    Last edited by Ghost; 10-07-2011 at 16:47.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I honestly just don't see the relevance it brings. The differences are often so minuscule, but yet any discussion on them usually brings instigation and schoolyard rivalry bull****. Why not just save yourself the headaches as staff and just stop the threads/ban them? A lot of grief saved over something that ultimately doesn't matter. It never has and never will.
    Once the mods get rid of all the trouble makers then the threads will be fine. Just because it ultimately doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it isn't useful for others. AGAIN, this has been pointed out countless times. Don't like the threads, don't view or participate in them. I mean, that sounds SOOOOO easy. The headache isn't from the threads, rather it's the members that cause the problems. We have a LOT of problems throughout the forums, let's ban all discussions that could possible give the staff headaches.

!! Watch Your Step !!
    Items Final Fantasy VIIPlayStationPS3 Slim
    trolling, stealth trolling and fanboy calling is the issue, not comparring systems/games to each other

/thread
    Now Playing: PS4!!!!
    Join us for some online LOLZ - The BnW Clan est. 2008

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Exactly...

Elite Guru
    I like them when they're done properly. Taking a game like Crysis 2 or Rage and having a comparison between PC, PS3 and X360 is being done properly. Cutting out the PC version to fuel the console war is not done properly.

Veteran
    Version comparison threads and web postings were at their peak about 5 years ago, mainly to slag on the PS3 for poor ports. The PC versions tended to be almost no-shows other than the claim the consoles were passing the PC.

A lot has changed since then, the most obvious now is the PC version being almost always far superior to the console versions, unless the title is a straight console port which ends up being a poor port, or some feature like split-screen or co-op is missing.

Multi-plats on the PS3 have improved greatly, so the differences these days tend to be almost indistinguishable with the 360 version. Some titles on the PS3 end up being slightly better than the 360 and some titles, the 360 might be slightly better due to the upscaling chip or some area the ATI GPU is better at. The developer tools have become a lot better and they can make the console versions very close to each, and if the multi-plat includes PC, developing primarily for the PC and downscaling for the consoles.

The PS3 is pulling ahead in overall graphics quality in the console world with first party titles like Uncharted 3, Heavy Rain, and Killzone 3 still challenging PC superiority. These are standards bars and Uncharted 3 looks like it will be raising the bar, even for PC's, due to the improvements in animation fluidity and cinematic production standards. The PS3 is also leading the way with Blu-ray as the storage medium, it is showing a lot of advantages and games are really finding DVD very limiting.

Version comparison threads have really lost a lot of their use because of these developments and their main use was as a propoganda mechanism to try to bring down the PS3 and Sony. Those efforts now look like epic fails in retrospect.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Version comparison threads and web postings were at their peak about 5 years ago, mainly to slag on the PS3 for poor ports. The PC versions tended to be almost no-shows other than the claim the consoles were passing the PC.

A lot has changed since then, the most obvious now is the PC version being almost always far superior to the console versions, unless the title is a straight console port which ends up being a poor port, or some feature like split-screen or co-op is missing.

Multi-plats on the PS3 have improved greatly, so the differences these days tend to be almost indistinguishable with the 360 version. Some titles on the PS3 end up being slightly better than the 360 and some titles, the 360 might be slightly better due to the upscaling chip or some area the ATI GPU is better at. The developer tools have become a lot better and they can make the console versions very close to each, and if the multi-plat includes PC, developing primarily for the PC and downscaling for the consoles.

The PS3 is pulling ahead in overall graphics quality in the console world with first party titles like Uncharted 3, Heavy Rain, and Killzone 3 still challenging PC superiority. These are standards bars and Uncharted 3 looks like it will be raising the bar, even for PC's, due to the improvements in animation fluidity and cinematic production standards. The PS3 is also leading the way with Blu-ray as the storage medium, it is showing a lot of advantages and games are really finding DVD very limiting.

Version comparison threads have really lost a lot of their use because of these developments and their main use was as a propoganda mechanism to try to bring down the PS3 and Sony. Those efforts now look like epic fails in retrospect.
    Third paragraph - All the more reason for the comparisons. I want to get the most of out my money, however negligible others might feel the differences are. No need on spending money on a slightly inferior product instead of buying the slighter superior one. All things considered of course.

Struck your next paragraph since it doesn't have anything to do with this topic.

Last paragraph, again I disagree. For people that actually use these comparisons to choose between platforms, they are extremely useful.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Since I am a grown man and can handle the fact that consoles are not equal.....I love comparison threads. I want to know which games run better on which console.

If people do not like comparison threads then they should simply stay out of the thread. Problem 100% solved.
    Last edited by Lethal; 10-07-2011 at 18:24.

Veteran
    Getting sick to death of comparison threads, the people that inhabit them, and the flames that are fanned with them. Anyone else as sick of them as I am? Pointless and ultimately don't matter. Let me hear your thoughts on them. Also, vote if you want. Your call.

The irony of this is that you are so sick of comparison threads that you felt the need to set up a poll and actively participate in a comparison of comparison thread views. Like you said, "pointless and ultimately don't matter".

I have been gaming for a long time, since ASCII Star Trek, and it is this console generation that seems to be the real problem. When we were playing Zork, the topic never came up about how much better an asterisk looked on the Amstrad versus Apple monitor. Well, some guys did say the refresh rate on the Amstrad was slightly off 60Hz and it was making it so they couldn't play the game.

It will be such a relief to get to the next gen, where the importance of game blogs, so-called game journalism, psychos posting in one forum to use that post as a reference in another forum, and click-through rewarded comparison websites will be remembered as characteristics of this gen and thought quaint and archaic by then.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Veteran
    It will be such a relief to get to the next gen, where the importance of game blogs, so-called game journalism, psychos posting in one forum to use that post as a reference in another forum, and click-through rewarded comparison websites will be remembered as characteristics of this gen and thought quaint and archaic by then.
    Hoping it doesn't carry over to the next generation of console either. Hopefully people look back and see how silly and irrelevant it all was.
    Last edited by unicron7; 10-07-2011 at 19:15.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Hoping it doesn't carry over to the next generation of console either. Hopefully people look back and see how silly and irrelevant it all was.
    The people that utilize the comparisons don't think they are silly or irrelevant though.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    I like them when they're done properly. Taking a game like Crysis 2 or Rage and having a comparison between PC, PS3 and X360 is being done properly. Cutting out the PC version to fuel the console war is not done properly.
    Yeah but then some members (people in general) get upset that you include the PC because they don't think it's fair to include it, what it is.

take off the tin foil hat, bro.

Comparisons are very useful to people who have the choice where they can play their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Since I am a grown man and can handle the fact that consoles are not equal.....I love comparison threads. I want to know which games run better on which console.

If people do not like comparison threads then they should simply stay out of the thread. Problem 100% solved.
    Bingo!! Someone give this man a cookie!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The people that utilize the comparisons don't think they are silly or irrelevant though.
    Agreed.

---
    - BBK Is Tapatalking

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    It's a good way of rabid fanboys getting themselves banned so I'm for them.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Yeah but then some members (people in general) get upset that you include the PC because they don't think it's fair to include it, what it is.
    Agreed but it doesn't make it any less valid to compare all versions of the same game...

To my mind, it's just used as a tool to claim 'superiority' which is why one platform is conveniently excluded. It's difficult to claim the PS3 is better than the X360 or vice versa when there's a third version that looks better than both in many cases.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Agreed but it doesn't make it any less valid to compare all versions of the same game...

To my mind, it's just used as a tool to claim 'superiority' which is why one platform is conveniently excluded. It's difficult to claim the PS3 is better than the X360 or vice versa when there's a third version that looks better than both in many cases.
    Sorry, i worded my post wrong. I agree with you that PC should be included in comparison threads. You either compare them all or you compare nothing.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's all about agenda.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Yeah I don't mind when PC is included... why would it? Doesn't make sense if you're in the thread to see which version you will want, it's best to include all the options.

Forum Sage

It's all about those options. Having what I have now and knowing what i know I couldn't go back to the days where i wasn't able to choose what i play on.

Thread Information