Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: Face off: Rage

Veteran
    This is just a few minutes of Rage PC capture with attention to the low res textures being used. It isn't just that there are some really low res textures being used, but also the almost complete lack of bump and specular mapping, no tessellation, and baked shading on some of the textures used. The stuff in the distance looks good but not so good close up or in the interiors.

(click on full screen to see 1080p video)
    Last edited by Bligmerk; 10-10-2011 at 22:22.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    This is just a few minutes of Rage PC capture with attention to the low res textures being used. It isn't just that there are some really low res textures being used, but also the almost complete lack of bump and specular mapping, no tessellation, and baked shading on some of the textures used. The stuff in the distance looks good but not so good close up or in the interiors.

(click on full screen to see 1080p video)

Exactly what I'm seeing man. 10 feet away- OMG that looks sweet. 5 feet away- Ugh... that looks flat and gross. it's hit or miss. Definitely not the graphics powerhouse that was promised. It's still fun to play, but it's definitely nothing revolutionary. Some good bland fun.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This is just a few minutes of Rage PC capture with attention to the low res textures being used. It isn't just that there are some really low res textures being used, but also the almost complete lack of bump and specular mapping, no tessellation, and baked shading on some of the textures used. The stuff in the distance looks good but not so good close up or in the interiors. (click on full screen to see 1080p video)
    Seems to be a problem solely on the PC version according to this. http://i.joystiq.com/2011/10/04/psa-...ixes-incoming/

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Seems to be a problem solely on the PC version according to this. http://i.joystiq.com/2011/10/04/psa-...ixes-incoming/
    And like Joystiq said the 360 version has very little pop in and the textures look sharper. I did notice that the PS3 version had plenty of blotchy textures with almost constant pop in. It does appear oddly enough that the PC version is suffering the worst but hopefully the patch will fix it.

Veteran
    And like Joystiq said the 360 version has very little pop in and the textures look sharper. I did notice that the PS3 version had plenty of blotchy textures with almost constant pop in. It does appear oddly enough that the PC version is suffering the worst but hopefully the patch will fix it.
    Maybe after some patches it'll turn into something somewhat like they promised. So far this has to be one of the buggiest releases I've seen. All versions seem to be horse $#@!. In terms of content and in terms of looks. It's crazy short, lacks any extra content, and the multiplayer is a joke. The only thing saving this game from me completely ragging on it is the way it plays. 60 FPS and great weapons. Other than that, I'm not impressed. Very vanilla. I expected more from a 5 year dev cycle and id.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    All versions seem to be horse $#@!.
    Not true. 360 version looks and plays great. And Joystiq, IGN and even certain members like Lethal NFS for example seem to agree. I've played both versions.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-10-2011 at 23:24.

Veteran
    Not true. 360 version looks and plays great. And Joystiq, IGN and even certain members like Lethal NFS seem to agree. I've played both versions.
    I'm not doubting the way it looks for 360. Relax. I'm saying it could have been better all around. It's unexcusable for it to perform and look the way it does with a 5 year dev cycle. Id definitely let me down. No excuse for it being as short as it is and lacking the MP elements that it does. It seems to come off as a half assed Fallout 3 clone without the RPG elements, and about 1/4 the content. I guess I've been spoiled by other companies for too long to accept this as a great game. It's mediocre.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    It's crazy short,
    Lol Seriously? The SP is about 12 hours give or take. I completed KZ3 for example alot faster than this game.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-10-2011 at 23:30.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I'm not doubting the way it looks for 360. Relax.
    Lol Maybe you should take your own advice. I'm just having a civilized discussion with you. You were the one that said "ALL versions were horse$#@!."
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-10-2011 at 23:33.

Veteran
    Lol Maybe you should take your own advice. I'm just having a civilized discussion with you.
    Am I coming off as confrontational? no I'm not. Stop trying to cause trouble and leave me alone. Oh yeah, and stop double posting.

"ALL versions were horse$#@!."
    Nothing confrontational about that at all. I was simply stating how I felt about it. Wasn't calling anyone that.
    Last edited by unicron7; 10-10-2011 at 23:35.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Am I coming off as confrontational? no I'm not. Stop trying to cause trouble and leave me alone. Oh yeah, and stop double posting.
    Oh c'mon dont go away mad. lol

Veteran
    Oh c'mon dont go away mad. lol
    Don't worry, I have no intention of ever doing so. I wouldn't give a guy like you the satisfaction.

PSN ID
    Jrodd87
    i didn't like this game too much...

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Nothing confrontational about that at all. I was simply stating how I felt about it. Wasn't calling anyone that.[/COLOR]
    When did I say that was confontational? You told me to relax and I told you to take your own advice as I was trying to have a civilized discussion with you. Please dont put words in my mouth.

Don't worry, I have no intention of ever doing so. I wouldn't give a guy like you the satisfaction.
    lol
    Last edited by VintageElise; 10-10-2011 at 23:45.

Veteran
    Did you even bother looking at the video link you quoted? I didn't say a single thing about texture pop-in. If you looked at the video, I am not having any texture pop-in problems, never did because I have an Nvidia card. I was talking about the use of very low resolution textures for things like walls and rocks, as well as really low res on some objects like radios and bins of nuts and bolts. This is even another topic not related to the megatexture. There are a lot of people getting these three separate graphics-related areas all mixed up.

The megatexture is the one big map of the open world. The PC default is 4K, as it is in the PS3 and 360. The PC version just got a patch to use the 16K texture but only if the GPU has 3GB of VRAM.

What I was referring to was not about megatexture, although by virtue of its nature, is always going to have some low resolution appearance very close up, but about the use of many low res textures for RGB mapping in the interiors. This is not anything to do with any platform, it is designed in but it also shows this was in consideration of the lowest configuration of the platforms.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Did you even bother looking at the video link you quoted? I didn't say a single thing about texture pop-in. If you looked at the video, I am not having any texture pop-in problems, never did because I have an Nvidia card. I was talking about the use of very low resolution textures for things like walls and rocks, as well as really low res on some objects like radios and bins of nuts and bolts. This is even another topic not related to the megatexture. There are a lot of people getting these three separate graphics-related areas all mixed up. The megatexture is the one big map of the open world. The PC default is 4K, as it is in the PS3 and 360. The PC version just got a patch to use the 16K texture but only if the GPU has 3GB of VRAM.What I was referring to was not about megatexture, although by virtue of its nature, is always going to have some low resolution appearance very close up, but about the use of many low res textures for RGB mapping in the interiors. This is not anything to do with any platform, it is designed in but it also shows this was in consideration of the lowest configuration of the platforms.
    The 360 version had pretty high rez textures when I played it. Apparently IGN thought so too since they gave the graphics a 10. Obiously the textures will break down somewhat if you want to put your nose to the wall or a rock to scrutinize them.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-10-2011 at 23:49.

Forum Sage
    Maybe after some patches it'll turn into something somewhat like they promised. So far this has to be one of the buggiest releases I've seen. All versions seem to be horse $#@!. In terms of content and in terms of looks. It's crazy short, lacks any extra content, and the multiplayer is a joke. The only thing saving this game from me completely ragging on it is the way it plays. 60 FPS and great weapons. Other than that, I'm not impressed. Very vanilla. I expected more from a 5 year dev cycle and id.
    Better to wait for a while before getting it then?

---
    - BBK Is Tapatalking

Veteran
    The 360 version had pretty high rez textures when I played it. Apparently IGN thought so too since they gave the graphics a 10.
    I notice you keep throwing out these websites as if they actually mean something. What they think is irrelevant. They get out of bed every morning just like you and I. Have you not noticed we don't care what these people have to say? I've played it. Blig has played it. So some of us were a little underwhelmed by it. Is that so hard to grasp or accept?

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Better to wait for a while before getting it then?

---
    - BBK Is Tapatalking
    If I had it to do over again I would have waited until it was 40 or under. I don't feel it is worth 60 by a long shot.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I notice you keep throwing out these websites as if they actually mean something. What they think is irrelevant. They get out of bed every morning just like you and I. Have you not noticed we don't care what these people have to say? I've played it. Blig has played it. So some of us were a little underwhelmed by it. Is that so hard to grasp or accept?
    If you want to live in denial thats fine by me. Also unlike you I've played both versions and have seen it for myself. Btw earlier you told me to leave you alone yet you keep quoting me. lol

Veteran
    If you want to live in denial thats fine by me. Also unlike you I've played both versions and have seen it for myself. Btw earlier you told me to leave you alone yet you keep quoting me. lol
    Why do you assume denial? Just because it's a different point of view from yours? I'm a consumer that bought a product that I didn't really seem up to par in my opinion as to what id has released in the past. Am I wrong? No. Are you wrong? No. Differences of opinion. That's what you fail to grasp. There is no winner here, so stop trying to make sound as if it's a contest.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Why do you assume denial? Just because it's a different point of view from yours? I'm a consumer that bought a product that I didn't really seem up to par in my opinion as to what id has released in the past. Am I wrong? No. Are you wrong? No. Differences of opinion. That's what you fail to grasp.
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Secondly I've played both versions unlike you. I can see why you weren't happy with the PS3 version but you try to dispute the verdict for the 360 version even though you haven't even played it. So instead you dismiss anything IGN has to say because its not what you wanted to hear. How can you have an opinion on the graphics of a version that you haven't played?

Still NOT Better Than Cuguy
    Items Bruce WillisBrad PittChristian BaleInfinity WardGoogle ChromeModern Warfare 3AppleFacebook LogoUser name style
    Closed as request of Rad.

Add me on Steam: VintageElise

Thread Information