Thread: Closing threads

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Closing threads

Is this a new feature we can request to all threads we create? Might as well just make us all moderators.

I'm a real boy!
    Why do you equate being able to close your own threads to being a moderator?

You're just able to manage what you create. you get to look after yourself, that's it.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Is this a new feature we can request to all threads we create? Might as well just make us all moderators.
    Short answer, no.

Long answer is, as with all decisions of this nature, the staff will use judgement whether or not the request is valid. If the person is wishing a thread to be closed to avoid seeing his topic derailed, or something similar, then we will look at the request.

So, no, you can't just ask and get it done, it still comes down to whether or not staff feel it should be closed.

Ultimately staff hold the say on whether or not something stays open.
    LMAO

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Better response.
    Just I saw the top 2 threads in multi comparison both closed at owners request which I though odd.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Better response.
    Just I saw the top 2 threads in multi comparison both closed at owners request which I though odd.
    Really, we turn down a lot of requests to close threads if they are still actively and constructively being discussed.

If a thread you create is getting troll bombed... you can report it or send us a PM to see if it should be closed.

I am one in favor of closing derailed, dead threads in lieu of infracting people just to keep the thread open
    LMAO

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I support it if it stops a bully in their tracks. I think the moment someone starts instigating trouble or belittling the opinions of others, the thread should end, because the argument is going nowhere and will lead to an infraction or two eventually.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Really, we turn down a lot of requests to close threads if they are still actively and constructively being discussed.

If a thread you create is getting troll bombed... you can report it or send us a PM to see if it should be closed.

I am one in favor of closing derailed, dead threads in lieu of infracting people just to keep the thread open
    I have to disagree with this line of thinking. Wouldn't it be better to just penalize the person(s) causing the problem, and keep discussions open? I mean, afterall, this is a DISCUSSION forum.. *gasp Closing the thread is usually what trolls, people who derail, want to happen. This in turn hurts the community by showing members that these problematic members can do what they want, get threads closed down, and move to the next one. Doesn't really give members much reason to make threads, or discus topics if people are just going to be allowed to derail threads until they are shut down. Completely backwards thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    I support it if it stops a bully in their tracks. I think the moment someone starts instigating trouble or belittling the opinions of others, the thread should end, because the argument is going nowhere and will lead to an infraction or two eventually.
    The moment someone starts instigating trouble, penalize their ass and let the other members continue the discussion. Why should everyone else that wants to discuss the topic have to move on because of someone breaking rules? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The moment someone starts instigating trouble, penalize their ass and let the other members continue the discussion. Why should everyone else that wants to discuss the topic have to move on because of someone breaking rules? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

That's true. Why should others be forced to stop a discussion because of someone causing trouble?

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I have to disagree with this line of thinking. Wouldn't it be better to just penalize the person(s) causing the problem, and keep discussions open? I mean, afterall, this is a DISCUSSION forum.. *gasp Closing the thread is usually what trolls, people who derail, want to happen. This in turn hurts the community by showing members that these problematic members can do what they want, get threads closed down, and move to the next one. Doesn't really give members much reason to make threads, or discus topics if people are just going to be allowed to derail threads until they are shut down. Completely backwards thinking.

Usually by the time people are ready to be penalized, the thread is dead anyway.
    LMAO

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    So close the thread and don't penalize them? Doesn't make much sense. Faster action would also help. It doesn't take much effort to delete the posts, deal with the members, and let the discussion continue.

edit:

On another note, closing threads on requests is a little bs in my opinion. I mean, just because the OP doesn't like the way it turned out, the rest of the forum can't discuss that topic? Now, I need to create another Rage thread in order to continue the discussion? Or is that going to get shut down too, and since two other thread creators are done discussing it, no one else in the forums can discuss that topic?

Just doesn't make much sense. If they didn't like the discussion, they were/are free to leave it at any time and never to return to the thread. Heck, its not right that no one else gets to continue the discussion because they aren't interested in it anymore. smh
    Last edited by F34R; 10-11-2011 at 20:36.

Thread Information