Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    No I meant the actual light intensity isn't there. Look at red dead redemption, it uses RAGE which is an advanced engine compared to gta IV's and and we see more 'dynamic' lighting from scorching sun to rainy gray. Gta mods look VERY good but I don't think the engine is that versatile (since its old) compared to what devs are doing now.Also I'd like to ask, what specs does your PC need to have for the photoreal mods to be playable (30+fps)
    Depends on the resolution you want to play at and some other settings. At 720p, even with high quality FXAA, I don't think you'd need a very expensive system at all. In fact, I know you wouldn't as I was able to play the game just fine with enb mods on my old 8800GTX. On the other hand, if you want extremely high settings with high quality AA and high resolution, then you'll need a higher end system. I get around 30fps with my single 580 and OCed quad core at 3840x2160.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Forum Guru
    most important thing about light intensity/HDR and lighting in general is how it fits the desired art direction, how their pipeline handles the tone mapping and what happens to image when they try to make realistic image with very high dynamic range.

In many cases the realistic option might not be best for the art as huge dynamic ranges do tend to cause ridiculous amount of aliasing.
    This is one of the reasons why we do not have such harsh light/shadow edges as we would expect in many scenarios, another is that the gameplay would suffer for the fact that it takes tens of minutes to eyes to completely adapt to such difference.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Nice. When will we see the first game use it?

Dedicated Member
    Looks really good. Horror games will be insane next gen...people might die. But I couldn't give a damn about a games graphics if it doesn't play well.

Banned from my iTouch using Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    GTA IV has aged pretty damn well if you ask me.

GTA V doesn't even look this good.

But what kind of graphics card would you need to run this stuff?

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    GTA V doesn't even look this good.

But what kind of graphics card would you need to run this stuff?
    Pretty powerful one (gtx 580)

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Its mostly increased texture resolution so more VRAM the better not sure if actual more power is needed so to speak.

Check out Cinematic mod for Half Life 2.

Super Elite
    Those pics of Square-Enix's new engine don't even show anything... They are just plain walls. Practically anyone can imitate that just as well with a Geforce 5800GT. Anyone who has seen NVIDIA's demo knows what I'm talking about. I need some actual screenshots of detailed environments, not this.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Master Guru
    Well that looks insane. I'm definitely looking forward to SE's games come next generation. I loved Final Fantasy XIII and i'm sure i'll enjoy XIII-2 and Versus XIII.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Very few objects / details in the photos end even fewer in the "realtime" shots.
    Just look at the pile of boxes/rubbish in the photo and the 4 boxes that are shown in the realtime shot...

I'm not excited - not yet at least.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Very few objects / details in the photos end even fewer in the "realtime" shots.
    Just look at the pile of boxes/rubbish in the photo and the 4 boxes that are shown in the realtime shot...

I'm not excited - not yet at least.
    They are testing their lighting engine in terms of quality, not making full assets for a game.
    Having simple scene with lot's of indirect light is a nice scene for that purpose, also the carage most likely is under their office so they didn't have to go far for the reference.

If you want more information about the engine I would suggest checking the links I posted earlier in this thread.

Super Elite
    Testing lighting in an empty, square room is ridiculous and achieves nothing. They are just trying to find a way to raise the superficial hype for their engine to impress investors, but if they show too much, investors will realize it isn't that great.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    holy jizz!

Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    FF7 AC had quite bad simulation on clothes and hair when compared to the FF: SW.

Luminous seems to be heading in good direction
    New particle, animation, lighting, reflection and surface systems.
    It's great that they seem to be using vector displacements, as it does have clear superiority against normal single component displacement mapping.
    Is this article SE's work on this engine? If yes, i found this picture interesting:
    http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/...045/sqex36.jpg

I suppose the engine will be used in next gen games seeing as it has cloth and fluid simulation, tessellation and other stuff. In that pic you can see a mention of a certain video card. Does that mean the next gen consoles will have a video card similar to that in performance? That would be kind of sad. Don't take me wrong, it's a beast compared to what current consoles have, but compared to what is already available for pcs and what is just about to come out january (new generation amd cards on a new 28nm process and soon after nvidia to follow) this looks sad.

Found a guy on youtube who upped all the videos in that article (ill put most impressive ones first):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kzNSvSnCFY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XPV8m8DoiA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szCe8dBJ4R4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLQb...el_video_title
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4n3WdN1ot4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJAYNNfYCqs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR5M9PhnHXY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt8RY7DuG-g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIsj5TfUC-g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXWW_eETWbc

Looks pretty darn impressive if you ask me, i still hope the new consoles will have a next gen amd/nvidia card that is considerably more powerful then a gtx460.
    Last edited by baho; 11-25-2011 at 10:08.

15. Likes Itachi wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post
    I suppose the engine will be used in next gen games seeing as it has cloth and fluid simulation, tessellation and other stuff. In that pic you can see a mention of a certain video card. Does that mean the next gen consoles will have a video card similar to that in performance?
    It is not meant as a performance target, but as a minimum target in terms of programmability.
    DX11 or shader model 5 with compute shaders is the startup point for next generation.

Yes, what they have shown thus far is quite impressive, would love to know how their reflection systems work, it is clearly not a simple screen space reflection, perhaps a cubemap with distance information?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    YES! always wanted cloth simulation. I was impressed form the start.

Forum Guru
    Found the tech page of Square-Enix containing some new papers and videos.
    http://www.square-enix.com/jp/info/library/

The animation papers are clearly same related to the Luminous and the baking seems to be as well.

I wonder what they are going to do with the 'Real-Time Bidirectional Path Tracing via Rasterization'.
    It's not fast enough to be used as only source of lighting, perhaps combine with baking to get huge areas with changeable lighting?

Anyways, impressive tech.

Apprentice
    we all better hope the next gen focuses more on gameplay and increasing Ai, Physics and such because if its just a graphics fest again, the consoles will still be crazy expensive and game development time will go from the 3 years it is now to about 5 each.

also, fear of losing money will flood the market with Assassins Creed 18, Halo 22 and Uncharted 12 by the time those consoles are done.

IMHO, slightly upgrade the power but have devs focus more on realism outside of graphics as that is where games still lack. Doesnt matter if a game looks photorealistic when the AI blows and it plays like crap.

Its why many of us can still play NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64, Xbox and PS2 games and have a blast. Graphics could only do so much so many games spent less time on that and more on making a fun game.

IMHO, this gen is flooded with good looking yet horrible games that all took 3+ years to develop.

20. Likes HenryPSN wishes they had posted this first.
    Superior Member
    Items PS3 SlimBlizzardMovePlayStationUser name style
    Wow are you guys kidding me?

The current engines cannot come close to even rendering 1 second of that video.

Notsureifserious.jpg

But I sure as hell cannot wait for next-gen!

http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=215813&dateline=13047  62730

Forum Sage
    Well, this engine IS usable on PS360 (and they've actually implemented the lighting tech of Luminous Engine into Final Fantasy Versus XIII, of course it might not look as good on PS3 as it would on more powerful hardware, but it's still used in it), even if not all of its features work.

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    YES! always wanted cloth simulation. I was impressed form the start.
    Their current engine has cloth physics as well. Just look at FFXIII.

The "next gen" engine of SE is not impressive.. I mean, they can't even post any actually screenshots of it.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 12-31-2011 at 15:20.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post

The "next gen" engine of SE is not impressive.. I mean, they can't even post any actually screenshots of it.
    My best bet is that it's actually in development and they still don't want to show off things too early (unlike their games, which are announced 7 years before they are released. Yes, I'm looking at you, Versus).
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    As mentioned in here, I really hope the developers of the next generation put an emphasis not on graphics, but on gameplay and AI. There are some newer games this generation, like Skyrim for example, that have AI that is clearly flawed. The game is still tremendously enjoyable, but some improved AI would do it a lot of good. Not all games this generation have suffered from flawed AI, and I do acknowledge that substantial progress has been made in the AI department thus far throughout this generation. But there's still room to improve, yet.

I like excellent graphics as much as the next guy, but in my opinion, graphics aren't all that important. We've got to a point in gaming where graphics are generally beautiful, and very realistic. Some are better than others, and either way, I'm sure we'll see improved visuals when the next generation comes around. But please, developers, focus on the AI. With better AI, the gameplay will naturally become more challenging, dynamic, and enjoyable. It's a win-win, imo.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post

I know, but that is not nearly as good as the one shown in the videos here. I've always felt that there was something in the current gen holding the proper cloth simulation back. Maybe it was just the raw power of the machines.

Super Elite
    What are the link to the videos? I haven't gotten to see them yet

Thread Information