beavermatic

Hori TAC 3 gaming keyboard and mouse for PS3 review and multiplay test!

Thought I would do a extensive test of the new Hori Tactical Assault Commander 3 keyboard and mouse for the Playstation 3.

It works out of the box for all current games, and apparently will have special optimization for MW3.

I tested it on BF3 at a buddies house on PS3, also seems to work well. (no vid of that though)

Does suprisingly well! well be doing a comparison review next week against another product, the XIM 3

Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) Multiplay review and test:

Part 1 of hands-on review and overlook:

Part 2 with single play testing:

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Awesome review, thanks a lot. I have had a keen eye on this since it was announced. Will be surely picking one up in the new year.

beavermatic
    I'd wait till I compare them to the XIM3... sure, the XIM 3 is $50 more and is gonna cost and extra $50 for the hardware to get it to run on the PS3... but its a far more advanced device.

The Hori product is great, durable and bundled, very compatible and has room for optimization (as their stating with MW3), but in current games, its mouse is a little touchy. too high of settings, and it jumps around, too low and it lags a bit... you have to really tweak it for the right balance.

The XIM3 apparently uses a specific tech that eliminates any of that, and supposedly gives a near 100% feel of pc mouselook.

I'd say, at current, since the Hori just emulates the analog stick, its about 70% comparable to PC mouselook. The keyboard and buttons are sweet though.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The mouse movement looks horrid and looks like its skipping pixels.
    Please invest in a better microphone.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-30-2011 at 00:03.

Forum Overseer
    I was gonna say the same thing...you can tell that it's trying to emulate the controller.

My guess is that it can't deal with the different acceleration and the way a controller works differently...a mouse you can easily move as far as you want but a controller can only moved at a certain speed...thus why the glitchy look.

Nothing can beat actual kb/mouse support.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I was gonna say the same thing...you can tell that it's trying to emulate the controller.

My guess is that it can't deal with the different acceleration and the way a controller works differently...a mouse you can easily move as far as you want but a controller can only moved at a certain speed...thus why the glitchy look.

Nothing can beat actual kb/mouse support.
    Which is what more games will be getting. Is cool to see Valve doing M&K support for CS:GO PS3.

Forum Overseer
    But at the same time, I hate that lol because I know I won't bother using it and they already said they won't make rooms that are just for controllers and just for kb/mouse combo. Oh well, I'm happy with BF3.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    But at the same time, I hate that lol because I know I won't bother using it and they already said they won't make rooms that are just for controllers and just for kb/mouse combo. Oh well, I'm happy with BF3.
    If want to use keyboard and mouse for the new Counter Strike game just use your PC, no doubt the game will scale well to older hardware, Valve games never really need state of the art latest and greatest to get 60FPS or more, I remember playing HL2 and CS:S on a Pentium 4 with a Nvidia 5700LE (light edition) back in 2005 I had to use a tweaked FPS config to turn the graphics way down but it was totally playable.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-31-2011 at 17:10.

Forum Sage
    Looking jerky. - I didn't watch the whole video so you may have answered it further into it. Can you map the controls you want? I don't see the point if you cant.

Thread Information