Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Cool!!!

Veteran
    I never knew, Sufi. It's been so close these days, I never bothered to look to be certain. Judging from your reply, it looks like the news I saw was always about YoY WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I never knew, Sufi. It's been so close these days, I never bothered to look to be certain. Judging from your reply, it looks like the news I saw was always about YoY WW.
    Yup. It's always been outselling 360 for a while now but not in total sales yet.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Also 99% of the time the only American cars worth buying come from Ford. There are a few exceptions for Chevy and Chrysler group vehicles, but by an large most of what they make is still junk.
    I actually typed out almost an entire reply with quotes, then deleted it all as I got to this sentence. I see no reason to continue this discussion with such a far fetched comment as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Japan has a history of "amazing" quality, better than anyone else from what I've seen. You can't beat that. They have decades of track-record.
    And that is your problem...you are talking track record and history. I was talking the past 5 years and going forward. Historically, from over 5 years ago and old, I agree with you.

arenas
    No doubt..PS3 is the best video game,just got the bf3

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    And that is your problem...you are talking track record and history. I was talking the past 5 years and going forward. Historically, from over 5 years ago and old, I agree with you.
    JD Power counts for 5 years?

How do we know what's going to happen next? Which is why I'm talking about track-record.

It just happens so that the quality went down as the disaster news came from Japan...a lot of companies are struggling right now. That may not be the entire reason but a big part of it I'm sure.

Again, you forgot to quote the part where I mentioned that one American company...getting an accolade for once in 24 years doesn't mean a thing, it's an outlier.

That's why track-record matters. If all companies started to show this then I would agree...if you look at all the other electronics, Japan still rules.

Cameras, TVs, and I can name a bunch more but don't have time. I'm sure everyone already knows the list.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by arenas View Post
    No doubt..PS3 is the best video game,just got the bf3
    PS3 is a game? Where is this on disc or download only?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Forum Overseer
    Still not as bad as when some people refer to a singular woman as "women".

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    That annoys the hell out of me, the most annoying though is when people mix up you're and your. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Soldier 95B
    Japan still rules. Cameras, TVs, and I can name a bunch more but don't have time. I'm sure everyone already knows the list.
    I can name an endless number of Japanese products that have failed me over and over. Not just Sony ones.

Super Elite
    Ford is a quality company, and it should not be lobbed in with the rest of the American carmakers.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Overseer
    I can name an endless number of Japanese products that have failed me over and over. Not just Sony ones.
    I'm sorry to be a pain in the butt here but that's anecdotal.

It's a fact that America borrows a lot of business concepts on how to keep improving things from Japan.

It is a fact that Japanese electronics are the most popular around the world. Not to mention, they are the largest exporter of these electronics...for obvious reasons.

You can't tell me that a few things broke on you and for that reason we should negate the big elephant in the room.

I have nothing important to add but I need 5 posts before I can make a topic to ask me question so: rightfully so, I have an xbox and was always a 360 fan until the ps3, it's way better, free online and better system.

Dedicated Member

It is a fact that Japanese electronics are the most popular around the world. Not to mention, they are the largest exporter of these electronics...for obvious reasons.
    How many of those Japanese products are using American processors and RAM?

You'll have trouble finding one that doesn't use American processors. Everything from LED HDTVs to cell phones to tablet PCs to laptops to desktops all use American processors. For instance, most flat panel HDTVs produced today use either Trident Microsystems or Zoran Corp chips, both American. Intel, AMD, and IBM are all American. Nvidia is also American. JEDEC who controls DDR RAM is American, as is RAMBUS who makes XDR.

Japan does a good job of assembling electronics, but most of the parts they use come from America.

Super Elite
    Items Microsoft LogoApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    PS3 sales are finally up there. Tied in total sales with Xbox even tho Xbox had a year head start, low price tag, AND multiple repurchases due to RROD. Great news! Hail to the King!
    To be honest the 360 had a lot of advantages going into this generation i.e. more marketing, timed-exclusives, better architecture to get up and running quickly, time-exclusive DLC, better online-service and more FPS orientated games. Pricing was also vastly lower.

That the PS3 can still sell well despite those odds shows something excellent. The industry is now diverse and consumers can see what the PS3 (and indeed the other consoles have to offer). That without doubt has been this generations trademark. Usually the case was that one console failed miserably (sales-wise) in the previous generations but in this generation all seem to have had strong sales. That is healthy for the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Sony are now setting their sights on the Wii!!!!!!!!!!111111
    Actually that is not beyond possibility. A few AAA titles in Winter 2012 with a re-designed super-slim re-marketed PS3 with a $199 price-tag... = big-sales.

Quote Originally Posted by ddPLaNeT View Post
    Wasn't the PS3, since it released, the best selling HD console ? no surprises here... People always made it like the 360 was the best selling when in fact they looked at usa = world, wich is far from the truth.
    That has been the problem this generation. NPD reports being reported constantly (often gleefully by Microsoft themselves to massive applause by their fans) painting a picture through the media of total victory/annihilation over the PlayStation brand when nothing could be further from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    But nobody really cares about the Wii tho, lol. Xbox vs Playstation is the real battle!
    Hmmm. Obviously this is not true and I can see you are joking about this. Clearly Nintendo and Wii did and do matter and must be considered in the final analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Looks like the long-tail approach was the right one for this generation.
    Time still remains and a lot could change between now and the end of the generation. The final analysis must always be reserved at the end of the generation - not in between.

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yep. His comment just goes to show how far the Playstation brand has really fallen compared to previous generations. Hail to the king? LMAO.
    You cannot expect one brand of product to stay at the top forever. It hardly ever happens - only in absolute rare conditions with specific unique reasons. There are good and bay days. You take the rough with the smooth. What you don't do is gloat when someone is in a little difficulty. Certain people did when the PS3 was launched...

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I can see the PS3 selling systems longer after the 360.
    Possibly. Europe and Japan supports the older products strongly sometimes - i.e. the proof being still-strong PS2 and PSP sales for the age of hardware in consideration. PS3 should be no different.

Plus Sony is investing heavily in emerging markets where the PS3 will eventually be offered for sale and/or offered for sale at vastly reduced prices.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I can see the PS3 selling systems longer after the 360.
    For sure, just like the PS2 still sells today. Sony have said the PS3 will have AT LEAST a 10 year life cycle. The PS3 is already such a dynamic machine, it will stay with us just like its older brother did into the next gen.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    is there really any need to sound like a member of Sony's PR team? "such a dynamic machine"?

really?

its a console that does much the same as its main rival, but with a better catelogue of games.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Soldier 95B
    Ghost has passion

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    I Beli3ve.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    is there really any need to sound like a member of Sony's PR team? "such a dynamic machine"?

really?

its a console that does much the same as its main rival, but with a better catelogue of games.
    Never knew the 360 played 3D blu-rays and had web browsing.

It is a dynamic machine, whatever "Sony PR" or fanboy name you wish to pin on me. When the PS4 comes out PS3 will sell on just like PS2 did and will offer people a cheaper machine to watch movies, play games, surf the net and stream a whole host of movies and music from the net and from their PCs via the PS3 media center app.

21. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    PS3 does indeed have a browser, but holy $#@! does it suck donkey balls. I wish the rumors of Chrome coming to the PS3 would have come true.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post

It is a dynamic machine, whatever "Sony PR" or fanboy name you wish to pin on me. When the PS4 comes out PS3 will sell on just like PS2 did and will offer people a cheaper machine to watch movies, play games, surf the net and stream a whole host of movies and music from the net and from their PCs via the PS3 media center app.
    I dont think MS is going to drop the 360, especially when its making money hand over fist. On the other hand, Sony have every reason to stop making a machine that is costing them money.

I dont know why you guys see the PS3 as selling long term, maybe if they can get the costs down to the point where they can turn a profit.

But if the PS4 was announced tomorrow, you can bet the PS3 would be phased out faster then you can say "lets make some money for a change".

Thats may change in the future, but the PS3's life cyle is really going to depend on 3 things:

What the oppositon brings out in terms of starting price/performance on the next gen.
    If they are making money on the PS3 or not. (Currently not).
    If they gear their next console to make money.

Right now, Sony hold virtually no cards in the deck, they loose money on thier console, they are price reactive to get sales and they are at pretty much the will of their competitiors.

Consider this scenario:

WiiU is released at $299 with BR and better performaing games next year.
    720 is released the following year with a leap in graphics/inlcudes BR.

It really leaves the PS3 out in the cold. Sony needs to turn a profit and make the Vita sucessfull to get back on track.
    If they cant subsidise the PS4 with either the PS3 or Vita, they are up $#@! creek.
    Regardless of thier sales.

Quite frankly both Nintendo and MS are probably looking at Sony and trying to judge how they will react, not proact.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-09-2011 at 00:34.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    that hardly makes it 'dynamic' now does it? they are merely two features that the ps3 sports that the competition doesn't.

It is a dynamic machine, whatever "Sony PR" or fanboy name you wish to pin on me.
    i never called you a fanboy, but if there's any label floating around you pinned it on yourself by using 'PR speak'.

most consoles on the market today are 'dynamic' because they have new updates and constantly move forward in terms of what they offer, but its very strange to see an end user praising such a 'woolly' phrase as dynamism. that's the realm of employees - dressing up a product with bull$#@! and meaningless words.

i just found your enthusiasim a little over the top. the ps3 is just the 360 with better games, and a slightly $#@!ter store. it plays blurays, which is nice, but with players @35 i think that ship has sailed. the 360 is a very competent media player and all round console that is just lacking the volume of 1st party content.

as mynd suggests, price has just as much to do with longevity.
    Last edited by J3ff3; 11-09-2011 at 00:11.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Forum Overseer
    PS3 does indeed have a browser, but holy $#@! does it suck donkey balls. I wish the rumors of Chrome coming to the PS3 would have come true.
    I agree with that completely.

But let me go ahead and say that my parents bought a PS3 two or so years ago because they liked browsing youtube on TV. As much as I loved the PS3, I made them take it back.

They eventually got one again for Netflix...I didn't stop them then...their new one is a slim and they got it when it went down to $299.

Point is, I think it's donkey balls $#@!ass, I'm sure everyone else here does too but that doesn't stop people from looking at it as a feature.

I told them that they should get a laptop instead...but they don't want the hassle to hook it up to their TV every time they wanna watch something and they don't wanna dedicate it just for their TV...funnily enough they only wanted their PS3 for one feature, go figure.

Superior Member
    Same here, haven't used the browser in ages, its pretty poor.

Thread Information