HDD change and data backup

I want to change my HDD(i got the 60 gb) and i was wondering about a few things:

a-can i use a 7200 RPM instead of a 5400 RPM? will it cause overheating or any other problems?

b-can i get a higher cache like 32 instead of the standard 8?

c-what is the max storage supported? I'm thinking 320 or 500 gb

d- data backup is the biggest issue I've got i know that bla bla and bla can be backed and i also know that certain copyrighted bla and bla cant be backed. what nobody is clear about is the installed game data or the updated/patched game data. those are really hard to do over again and they are time consuming.
    i have a normal dl speed and i don't want to go through the process of patching again specially since they cant be done in the background. also i would like to know what happens to downloaded games/demos and user-data/firmware?

Should i deactivate my ps3 before changing the hdd and then reactivate on the new one?

i would appreciate definitive answers backed by proper knowledge instead of maybes and guesses cause Ive read a lot of those on the internet and the weren't helpful. thanks

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by kolamtik View Post
    I want to change my HDD(i got the 60 gb) and i was wondering about a few things:

a-can i use a 7200 RPM instead of a 5400 RPM? will it cause overheating or any other problems?
    Some 7200rpm drives run just as cool if not cooler.

b-can i get a higher cache like 32 instead of the standard 8?
    I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure mine is so I'd say yes.

c-what is the max storage supported? I'm thinking 320 or 500 gb
    I don't think there is a max, just the biggest drive you can find. I have a 500GB but I've seen 600GB+ working with PS3 fine.

d- data backup is the biggest issue I've got i know that bla bla and bla can be backed and i also know that certain copyrighted bla and bla cant be backed. what nobody is clear about is the installed game data or the updated/patched game data. those are really hard to do over again and they are time consuming.
    i have a normal dl speed and i don't want to go through the process of patching again specially since they cant be done in the background. also i would like to know what happens to downloaded games/demos and user-data/firmware?
    If you use the transfer to new PS3 thing EVERYTHING is backed up, but using the backup to external drive to move it back over I don't know, someone else will have to answer.

Should i deactivate my ps3 before changing the hdd and then reactivate on the new one?
    No, a new HDD doesn't count as a new PS3, I think the activation is on the system serial and nothing to do with the HDD.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Hard drive prices are going up and up bad time to buy them.

thanks guys i would like some more input before making a decision specially on the backup subject

i think you can backup all your games and then reactivate them again on the new hdd with when your signed in. its just a guess tho someone else might know more.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Its pointless is wasting the spare cash on a 7,200rpm drive when over a 5,400rpm drive you only manage to see 1-2 secs gain because the onboard SATA chip is still a SATA-150 from around 2003 they still use it to save costs some people willbeg to differ but the amount of sites who have done tests eye myself did one on my old chunky PS3 40GB to a 500GB HDD and I barely saw any gain what so ever.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Dedicated Member

If your backing up to an external HD and plan to then transfer it back over to the HD. I know there are many things that won't transfer over because of being locked. A good example were my Rock Band songs. None of them went over because of the lock. And they were what I wanted to back up most because of the sheer amount of time it would take to re download all of them. Also some game saves were locked as well. Now, maybe things have changed a little, I don't know, but I would recommend using the data transfer utility as then everything goes with no real need to use and external HD. Also, if you have PS+ then you can use the cloud storage for a lot of things now too. Hope it helps!

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Some 7200rpm drives run just as cool if not cooler.

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure mine is so I'd say yes.

I don't think there is a max, just the biggest drive you can find. I have a 500GB but I've seen 600GB+ working with PS3 fine.

If you use the transfer to new PS3 thing EVERYTHING is backed up, but using the backup to external drive to move it back over I don't know, someone else will have to answer.

No, a new HDD doesn't count as a new PS3, I think the activation is on the system serial and nothing to do with the HDD.
    And also, when you use the Transfer utility, first, you will have to plug in the new unit and activate the video and games and then connect the new unit to the old unit through the ethernet cable. BTW, it also wants you to plug both PS3 units into your HDMI inputs on your TV so you can monitor the progress. It will give you the promps when to do what. Just follow the instructions to the letter and it will work fine.

thanks

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    Its pointless is wasting the spare cash on a 7,200rpm drive when over a 5,400rpm drive you only manage to see 1-2 secs gain because the onboard SATA chip is still a SATA-150 from around 2003 they still use it to save costs some people willbeg to differ but the amount of sites who have done tests eye myself did one on my old chunky PS3 40GB to a 500GB HDD and I barely saw any gain what so ever.
    Installs from discs don't go any faster but installs from downloaded patches and games do, I used a WD raptor which is 10,000RPM for a few months a a while back and it was alot faster at both t cut a minute or 2 off installs of the larger downloadable games and Raptors are SATA1 only.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Installs from discs don't go any faster but installs from downloaded patches and games do, I used a WD raptor which is 10,000RPM for a few months a a while back and it was alot faster at both t cut a minute or 2 off installs of the larger downloadable games and Raptors are SATA1 only.
    Is it worth spending that amount on a Raptor just for 2 extra seconds??? to me no but anyone can do what they want the PS3 will defo or should have a simular storage device and SATA-3.0 as cost in that department wont harm the dev of the PS4 and the system is great as you the owner can do the upgrade. Its one thing Sony got right there I can say hopefully HDD prices wont be as high as there are now since they have shot up by 30-40

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

well as some of you have mentioned hdd prices are way up so gotta wait but thanks ppl

Superior Member
    It's been a while, but when i went from my 60gb HDD to a 250 Hdd the back up put EVERYTHING back on to the new HDD because you had to format it to that console. I didn't lose anything. All my game saves, updates and everything transferred over just fine.But that was a while ago.

Thread Information