Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJackson85 View Post
    How can game sharers be classed as thieves? Sony openly allowed the activation on 5 consoles from day one! They said it was OK, plus some one has to buy the product in the firstplace, they pay money for it - they do not aquire the game by any illegal means.

Your reply is null and void.

The one good thing about this though, the remote de-activation of PS3's. This will come in handy.

Also, I have only shared with one friend, so in a way this does not affect me at all.
    Because as much as Sony allowed your PSN to be on 5 separate consoles they didn't want people going around sharing their $#@!. 1 person pays and 5 people get to use it without paying. Your saying that is why they allowed us to have 5 activations? They did in case a console broke and for people with more than 1 console. Not for people to share their DLC.

So yeah, you can call them thieves.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Because as much as Sony allowed your PSN to be on 5 separate consoles they didn't want people going around sharing their $#@!. 1 person pays and 5 people get to use it without paying. Your saying that is why they allowed us to have 5 activations? They did in case a console broke and for people with more than 1 console. Not for people to share their DLC.

Exactly what I was about to say. +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Elite Guru
    How can game sharers be classed as thieves? Sony openly allowed the activation on 5 consoles from day one! They said it was OK, plus some one has to buy the product in the firstplace, they pay money for it - they do not aquire the game by any illegal means.

Your reply is null and void.

The one good thing about this though, the remote de-activation of PS3's. This will come in handy.

Also, I have only shared with one friend, so in a way this does not affect me at all.
    Lol! Ask a question then quickly put in a 'null and void' comment. Nice.

Three words. Terms of Service (ToS). Have a read of them some time.

You buying a game once to share with 4 other users who haven't paid for the game renders those 4 as gaining access to a license they haven't paid for and aren't entitled to if outwith the ToS. It's as good as theft. Piracy may be a better word for it. I don't care what it's called, it's dishonest and trying to claim it's anything but is laughable.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So now it works like Steam does?

PHAT boy gone slim

Technically 1 person pays and 4 get to use it without paying

Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Lol! Ask a question then quickly put in a 'null and void' comment. Nice.

Three words. Terms of Service (ToS). Have a read of them some time.

You buying a game once to share with 4 other users who haven't paid for the game renders those 4 as gaining access to a license they haven't paid for and aren't entitled to if outwith the ToS. It's as good as theft. Piracy may be a better word for it. I don't care what it's called, it's dishonest and trying to claim it's anything but is laughable.
    Rhetorical question. Plus the part where I said 'Your reply is null and void.' was not in-relation to the few lines above. I apologise if it was misleading.

Sony and developers have had the technology since day one to limit access to content to specific PSN names. In reality, game sharing is allowable due to a bug in the system.

Your stance of people acquiring a license without paying, hence a thief, how does this stack up if the 'gamesharing' group split the cost of said DLC? Thus meaning they acquired the DLC at a discount rate?

We could sit here until the cows come home and argue back and forth, for and against gamesharing - I just think that calling all gamesharers thieves is abit harsh. Gamesharing is allowable because the creators of said content have put in the wrong security measures. PSN name specific content from day one would have made game sharing impossible, they could have un-limited activations making a broke PS3 irrelevant.
    http://www.torn.com/1562191 - Torn City, free online txt based RPG. Sign up through this link, get to level 10 and earn 5 million in-game $'s

Elite Guru
    Let's assume a game was £20. If there are 5 people acting outside of the ToS they should have paid a total of £100 for all to get licensed access to that game. It doesn't justify the action because they paid a portion of the cost of 1 unit. If sharing is within the ToS it's legal, if not; it isn't.

You left your door unlocked last night. I came in and emptied your house of all your worldly possessions and stole your car for good measure. Your fault for leaving the door unlocked, or mine for committing the offense?

Continuous Play was also shafted for honest users as a result of abuse. People are trusted to follow the ToS. If they don't it either gets restricted, or taken away altogether.
    Last edited by *goo; 11-09-2011 at 18:26.

PHAT boy gone slim
    Let's assume a game was £20. If there are 5 people acting outside of the ToS they should have paid a total of £100 for all to get licensed access to that game. It doesn't justify the action because they paid a portion of the cost of 1 unit. If sharing is within the ToS it's legal, if not; it isn't.
    If sharing is completely illegal, then why not restrict activation to just 1 console? The web based de-activation sites that they are going to introduce would then allow the de-activation if that 1 PS3 broke. They are still allowing the sahring, just droping the number down from 5 to 2. Also, just had a quick glance at the ToS and couldn't find anything in relation to sharing, I may be looking at the wrong one though.

You left your door unlocked last night. I came in and emptied your house of all your worldly possessions and stole your car for good measure. Your fault for leaving the door unlocked, or mine for committing the offense?
    That's easy - your at fault for tresspassing.

Continuous Play was also shafted for honest users as a result of abuse. People are trusted to follow the ToS. If they don't it either gets restricted, or taken away altogether.
    Not really sure what this feature was - so no response.
    http://www.torn.com/1562191 - Torn City, free online txt based RPG. Sign up through this link, get to level 10 and earn 5 million in-game $'s

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Just a question as I've never activated content on another PS3 before (despite there being 3 in the house)

So..if I download a map pack for KZ3 I can activate it on 2 more PS3s as well as mine, so 3 in total? Or 2 including mine?

PHAT boy gone slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Just a question as I've never activated content on another PS3 before (despite there being 3 in the house)

So..if I download a map pack for KZ3 I can activate it on 2 more PS3s as well as mine, so 3 in total? Or 2 including mine?
    2 including yours.

This post was brought to you either by Tapatalk or some random Internet gremlin.

10. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Forum Sage

[QUOTE=RobJackson85;5707461]If sharing is completely illegal, then why not restrict activation to just 1 console? The web based de-activation sites that they are going to introduce would then allow the de-activation if that 1 PS3 broke. They are still allowing the sahring, just droping the number down from 5 to 2. Also, just had a quick glance at the ToS and couldn't find anything in relation to sharing, I may be looking at the wrong one though.
    /QUOTE]

Because that's being awkward and it's for people who own more then one console. Let's use F34R as an example, he owns several PS3's and because of that he would be a prime candidate for for the amount of activations we had before. Sony were doing it to be helpful not so you could spend less on DLC and share it with your friends.

In an exaggerated way your saying it's fine for me to buy a game in the shop and share it with everyone on the Internet. And we both know what that's called.

BBK Is Tapatalking

PHAT boy gone slim
    Because that's being awkward and it's for people who own more then one console. Let's use F34R as an example, he owns several PS3's and because of that he would be a prime candidate for for the amount of activations we had before. Sony were doing it to be helpful not so you could spend less on DLC and share it with your friends.

In an exaggerated way your saying it's fine for me to buy a game in the shop and share it with everyone on the Internet. And we both know what that's called.
    In a way no, I am not saying that, because obviously that is piracy.

However, when you purchase something from the PS store you buy it in the knowledge that you can 90% of the time activate it on upto 5 consoles. You buy a license for that game which allows you to activate it on different systems. Where does it say what console you can activate it on? Like I said earlier, in away it is the fault of Sony or the devs which have enabled this in the past. This would never have happened if the purchase was locked to a single PSN id.

When you buy a game from a shop, you buy it once, single use, a hard copy to which (by law) you should not reproduce or distribute to whoever. When you buy some digital content from the store you 90% of the time, can activate it on 5 consoles. So in away, the price includes a license for use on upto 5 machines.

Sony have now realised how much money they have lost in the past by selling items this way, so now are executing their right to change the ToS and drop down the limit from 5.
    Last edited by RobJackson85; 11-09-2011 at 20:56.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    In a way no, I am not saying that, because obviously that is piracy.

However, when you purchase something from the PS store you buy it in the knowledge that you can 90% of the time activate it on upto 5 consoles. You buy a license for that game which allows you to activate it on different systems. Where does it say what console you can activate it on? Like I said earlier, in away it is the fault of Sony or the devs which have enabled this in the past. This would never have happened if the purchase was locked to a single PSN id.

When you buy a game from a shop, you buy it once, single use, a hard copy to which (by law) you should not reproduce or distribute to whoever. When you buy some digital content from the store you 90% of the time, can activate it on 5 consoles. So in away, the price includes a license for use on upto 5 machines.

Sony have now realised how much money they have lost in the past by selling items this way, so now are executing their right to change the ToS and drop down the limit from 5.
    Dude, it's piracy. It was introduced for people with families who have multiple consoles, not for sharing with friends just because you could. That was the exploit of the service that no doubt lead to them doing this.

You have to have that account it was purchased from on your system if you are to use the DLC when shared. That was not the idea Sony had. They never planned that people would purposefully rob them like that and act like it was normal. No sensible person would even share their account with someone not in their family anyways.
    Last edited by EHY893; 11-09-2011 at 21:35.

PHAT boy gone slim
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Dude, it's piracy. It was introduced for people with families who have multiple consoles, not for sharing with friends just because you could. That was the exploit of the service that no doubt lead to them doing this.

You have to have that account it was purchased from on your system if you are to use the DLC when shared. That was not the idea Sony had. They never planned that people would purposefully rob them like that and act like it was normal. No sensible person would even share their account with someone not in their family anyways.
    What is the difference in sharing with friends and sharing with families? As I said earlier, we could argue the case all night. If you buy a license which allows you to use it on 5 consoles, then 5 consoles you can use it on. Whether it be family or friends, they are both the same.

Some people have friends, to whom they are closer than there own families. I have a friend who is like a brother, I trust him with anything of mine, infact I trust him more than some of my relatives.
    Last edited by RobJackson85; 11-09-2011 at 21:46.

Forum Sage

You do buy a license. You don't buy the ability to give out your license though.

BBK Is Tapatalking

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    You do buy a license. You don't buy the ability to give out your license though.

BBK Is Tapatalking
    Exactly.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    gumi42
    Stealing or not if i didn't game share with a close friend we wouldn't have bought as much content on the PSN, and as such I will be buying less. My choice, I still think SONY is really killing their own market by giving us options and then taking them away.
    Hard work never killed nobody but I ain't taking any chances

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The 'ol "taste the sweet stuff" tactic. Give it to 'em for a while, then take that $#@! away lol.

Elite Member
    I think sony is just doing this so they can as more full games to the playstation store.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    They'll probably make the 5 PS3 activation thing a PS+ feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The 'ol "taste the sweet stuff" tactic. Give it to 'em for a while, then take that $#@! away lol.
    Nothing gold can stay. Exploits need to be limited $1200 and you can get your hands on the engine that's used to make demon souls and put that game on ps store. For every sell you make 4 people get your game for free not cool. I'm glad to see it go more 3rd party developers will pick up an interest in playstation now. @ Aaron... I doubt that would happen.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Oh I don't disagree with them limiting it, but they should have done so from the start... NOT five years later. I've only game shared with my PS3 systems that are in my house.

PHAT boy gone slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Oh I don't disagree with them limiting it, but they should have done so from the start... NOT five years later. I've only game shared with my PS3 systems that are in my house.
    This is what I've been trying to get across, a loop hole was left in the system and in many cases exploited.

I just thought it was abit harsh to label game sharers as thieves, as they are not openly re-producing a game. They are just activating their purchase on 5 systems which they see fit. Quite simply, exploiting the loop-hole left by the creators.

This will have the effect of sales moving from virtual downloads to physical media. Not sure if this what Sony really wants considering that the future lies in virtual downloads...

Forum Sage
    Five activations wasn't a loop hole. You were allowed to have 5 systems activated under your name. Sony's policy (based on a conversation with their rep) was that you are given 5 activations which you can use on any system (does not matter whose it is.)

The downside was that if your PS3 was activated on a system that died you basically lost that activation leaving you with 4. If your system happened to die another 4 times, then you would be left with just one activation which Sony would re-activate every time you asked them.

Game sharing was never illegal. Yes, Sony did not officially support it through their TOS but they wouldn't ban you for doing it, you would just LOSE that activation if said PS3 dies or your trusted friend does not de-activate your account on your asking.

I am okay with two activations as long as you can remotely deactivate (which you can now.)

EDIT

The reason I think it was like that is because they most likely did not have a system ready for remote deactivation so giving you five activations was probably considered fair. Now that they have it ready, we've got a new system for it.

That's my take on it.
    Last edited by sainraja; 11-26-2011 at 23:34.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    you know, why don't they have a gift option for PSN, The Nintendo wii actually has a gift option, but Sony doesn't have one o.O Also, if it's on the same machine I should be able to use as many accounts on that same PS3 machine that I want, if they dork that, then I may just move strictly to Xbox when the next system comes out. If it leaks over to the Xbox360 then I am screwed. LOL

I don't gameshare though, so it's really no biggie.

Thread Information