Superior Member

Making a fire in the wet

I have looked at a few videos on the ol' net on this topic but none seem to show it all that well.

Im just wondering if you guys have first hand experience of this.

Ok the situation. It rained heavily yesterday, it rained most of last night and this morning, a few friends and I want to have a fire in the local woods tomorrow. (weve done it before when it's dry, and it was awesome ^_^ , though we tried it again a second time when it had only rained slightly that day and we couldnt get anything to light)

Before we just used a lighter and gathered anything we could find that set light fast, like the fluffy white things near thistles, small sticks, etc. This time we have brought two small bags of firewood kindling, short blocks of wood about 15cm, about 30 in a pack. So already we have a dry foundation. We also brought some of them fire lighters so that we can put them under the kindling to catch a lot easier.

My question is how will we keep the fire going? We only have the dry kindling so will logs from the wet forest eventually light if we put them on top of the kindling when its on fire? Any tips would be appreciated! P.s I know I live in the uk and it's technically not allowed to have fires in forest but were not idiots, the last thing we want to do is set light to the forest, we take pre-cautions against this too. (hate this nanny state, can't do anything that seems natural)
    Last edited by fusion2; 11-04-2011 at 19:25.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Wet wood usually brings lots of smoke with it.

I guess you saw th is already since its the second result form google.

Superior Member
    I did indeed, but thanks anyway! They made a nice cut there, I believe the fire was about to go out at one point. Haha.

Elite Guru
    You need Bear Grylls.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Just take plenty of dry kindling and other large pieces of wood get that going then pile on the damp stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    You need Bear Grylls.
    The plastic SAS man.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    me and my buddy just burned sawdust from sawing out firewood, it was pretty damp. just get a ton of it and throw in some paper and it should start up, get all your wood around the outside to dry, and if that fails, use a ton of waste oil

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Veteran
    Wood that has been rained on will still burn easily if you throw it on a fire. You have to remember, if it was dry to begin with (and not rotten) only the outside of the wood will be wet, not all the way through. So, use the dry stuff to get it going, keep the rest of the dry stuff in reserve just in case, and start throwing the damp stuff on top. The already burning fire will remove the moisture and it will burn.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Elite Member

Use napalm.

You can set that on fire in a puddle of water if you wanted to.

Superior Member
    Awesome, thanks to everyone that replied! Let the flames begin!

Thread Information