Page 1 of 10 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran

PS3 Has 'Advantage In Performance' Over Xbox 360 Say Developers

If Square Enix has pulled off NRT GI in their Luminous engine, then they probably know what they are talking about.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/p...ay-developers/

PS3 Has 'Advantage In Performance' Over Xbox 360 Say Developers

PS3 and Xbox 360 are the only high definition consoles on the market until Nintendo launches Wii U sometime next year, but have developers done all they can with these machines? Not quite, and certainly PS3 has more to offer at this stage than Xbox 360, according to developers IndustryGamers spoke with.

Julien Merceron, Worldwide Technical Director for Square Enix, commented, "Some consumers could have gotten the feeling in 2006/2007 that graphically Xbox 360 games were more advanced, but today it is quite different in fact!"

He continued, "Personally, Id say that on PS3 I believe there are some major improvements that can still be done, taking advantage of parallelisation and using more of the CPU for graphics tasks. At the end of current home Console life cycle, it is very possible consumers might get the feeling PS3 is slightly ahead of Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, but it will only happen if developers dedicate time to really push things on PS3!"

Team Ninja's leader, Yosuke Hayashi, mostly agrees. He sees Sony's platform as having a slight advantage in the last few years of this current console cycle. "PS3 came out a year later than the X360. Because of its later arrival, I would say that the PS3 has a slight advantage in performance," he said.

Both Hayashi and Merceron were participating in a special roundtable feature on console horsepower.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

2. Likes TreKKiker likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    in other news, the sun is hot.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Super Elite
    The disadvantage tho is that in order to have these improved visuals, it has to limit its use on physics and particle effects. Crysis 2 is a good example of great physics preventing the boost in visuals for the PS3 version.

While the PS3 does have a good leg up on the Xbox 360 in visual processing power, I like the Xbox's hardware and technology better.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Elite Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Welcome to 2007

BBK Is Tapatalking

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Hurry up and release Versus XIII.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

7. Likes Metal King Slime, Nitey likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Yea I believe that but then you have this:
    At the end of current home Console life cycle, it is very possible consumers might get the feeling PS3 is slightly ahead of Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, but it will only happen if developers dedicate time to really push things on PS3!
    So even with his enthusiasm...you're looking at the "end" of the console's life cycle and then it's still "possible" that you may "feel" the PS3 is "slightly" ahead of the 360 but "only" if developers "dedicate" time to "really" push things on PS3!

YAY! I LOVE OPTIMISM!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Yea I believe that but then you have this:
    So even with his enthusiasm...you're looking at the "end" of the console's life cycle and then it's still "possible" that you may "feel" the PS3 is "slightly" ahead of the 360 but "only" if developers "dedicate" time to "really" push things on PS3!

YAY! I LOVE OPTIMISM!
    Well it's true. A masterpiece isn't just created from the best paints and highest quality canvas, it comes also from the passion, devotion and skill of the artist. Naughty Dog are such artists for example.

"The PS3 is kind of like a sports car that's very high-performance and specific in its usage, whereas the 360 is more like a car that everybody's driving. It doesn't have the same range as a sports car, but it has more versatility," - producer Atsushi Inaba
    Not many people really tap into the PS3s power, but when they do, bar raisers are born. There is no game better looking than Uncharted 2 or 3, and probably wont be this gen.

Forum Overseer
    The problem is their design. I don't have an issue that they can get this power out. My gripe is that it's only possible through certain devs and only if they really work their asses off. Sure, in the end you still get that great product but then you paid a lot for this machine in the beginning.

Which is why if they choose a $#@!ty design again (overpowered CPU, lame GPU, split RAM), I'm not going to jump on the wagon until I see some real results and some real social services being implemented.

Had they instead focused on a good GPU with unified RAM, it would've performed well. Cell didn't prove anything, it's a great processor but we never needed a powerful CPU. We needed a unified RAM structure and a powerful GPU.

Maybe next generation things might change but this was obviously overkill. Otherwise, they wouldn't use the CPU to do GPU tasks...I mean, makes no sense right? Why not just work on getting a better GPU? They guessed wrong. Ken was wrong.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    The power is there, we have seen it time and time again from first party devs. Uncharted 3 for example is the best looking game on console period. Gran Turismo on the other hand is the best looking racer on a console period. And so forth.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Elite Member
    I thought this has been the general consensus for a while. I know that some have always wanted to prove otherwise, but I think the majority agree that the PS3 has an advantage when it comes to better visuals.

This is a highly controversial problems. We were hard to determine

Master Guru
    It's really amazing what Sony's developers have been able to accomplish with the PS3. They're squeezing out every last drop of power. Clamor over the Sony hype train all you want. The PS3 has delivered this generation with cutting edge gameplay and visuals.

I was just playing Uncharted 3 and taking in the breath taking visuals and lighting then i switched over to Final Fantasy XI on my 360 and my eyes hurt. Now FFXI is a last generation game mind you but still the game looks decent for how old it is.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Great comparison, last gen game (no matter how good it looks), vs a third generation NEXT gen title. NICE.

No doubt that you can get some really great gaming experiences on the PS3. While U3 is amazing in the visual dept., the game play is lacking. It's give and take. Like Batman AC for example. Great visuals, and great game play throughout... that's a great gaming experience.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    The problem is their design. I don't have an issue that they can get this power out. My gripe is that it's only possible through certain devs and only if they really work their asses off. Sure, in the end you still get that great product but then you paid a lot for this machine in the beginning.

Which is why if they choose a $#@!ty design again (overpowered CPU, lame GPU, split RAM), I'm not going to jump on the wagon until I see some real results and some real social services being implemented.

Had they instead focused on a good GPU with unified RAM, it would've performed well. Cell didn't prove anything, it's a great processor but we never needed a powerful CPU. We needed a unified RAM structure and a powerful GPU.

Maybe next generation things might change but this was obviously overkill. Otherwise, they wouldn't use the CPU to do GPU tasks...I mean, makes no sense right? Why not just work on getting a better GPU? They guessed wrong. Ken was wrong.
    If the RAM AND GPU were beefed up the Cell would shine A LOT. because of the bottleneck of RAM and the skimpy GPU, the cell has to carry a lot of weight, more so because it's so damn dated, so the cell itself doesn't really get the spotlight. It almost doesn't make sense when put into those words but it does make sense

Also, the reason the GPU is lacking and the RAM isn't much is because when the PS3 was made, they were pushing blu-ray as the format of choice for HD, it succeeded. But because of that, the RAM and GPU got synched which causes the GPU to get bottlenecked by the cell and causes the majority of the weight to be carried over to the cell processor. If blu-ray would have been released a few years earlier and would have won (lets just say) the PS3 would have probably outshine everything in current console market in terms of performance and graphics by a big margin. It's actually a good thing that Sony did this now rather then during the PS4 which could have really crippled their sales if done later. speaking for the future.

RAM back then was expensive during the launch of the PS3, RAM right now is dirt freakin cheap, so cheap in fact that I wouldn't be surprised if the new consoles get 4GB of RAM and 4GB of RAM is cheaper now then 1GB of RAM around 2006. very cheap. With the release of blu-ray if they would have upped the GPU and RAM, the PS3 would have been close to $1,000 at launch and right now would probably cost about $500. o.O
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 11-05-2011 at 11:56.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Great comparison, last gen game (no matter how good it looks), vs a third generation NEXT gen title. NICE.
    It doesn't really matter. Final Fantasy XI is a game that had breath taking visuals for it's time. That might have been 9 years ago but i thought it held up to today's games until i compared it to Uncharted 3. This goes for most games now. Uncharted 3 is simply on another level. The graphics, resolution, and lighting are just mind blowing.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    It doesn't really matter. Final Fantasy XI is a game that had breath taking visuals for it's time. That might have been 9 years ago but i thought it held up to today's games until i compared it to Uncharted 3. This goes for most games now. Uncharted 3 is simply on another level. The graphics, resolution, and lighting are just mind blowing.
    Lol. Ok. I'm going to drop it before we steer to far off path here lol. Thanks for that though.

Forum Elder
    i have to ask....
    did anyone around here ever think the PS3 did not have a power advantage over 360?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    i have to ask....
    did anyone around here ever think the PS3 did not have a power advantage over 360?
    It's been said time and again.... both are better in some areas than the other. So no, I don't think one can accurately make a blanket statement to say that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360.

21. Likes Metal King Slime likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    The amount of RAM both consoles have will keep them pretty much level. It's mostly up to the devs and smart coding for any performance advantage.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Uncharted 3 looks amazing no doubt about it but I'm not a fan of TPS. Hope they make a platformer for PS3 (Jak IV).

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Super Elite
    I would like a Jak and Daxter for PS3 as well

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    I would like a Jak and Daxter for PS3 as well

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

A man can dream...

What would people think of a Jak game made by a dev other than ND? Like what's happening with Sly4

Not sure I'd fancy that; but then again the more Jak the better

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Although we are still getting gems like Uncharted 3, with most new games like BF3 and GTAV console gamers will not be able to experience the definitive version of the game, so I hope Sony and MS hurry it up.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It's been said time and again.... both are better in some areas than the other. So no, I don't think one can accurately make a blanket statement to say that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360.
    I haven't seen anything that looked better than UC3, on the 360.

Besides, your complaint is with the gameplay, not performance.

For the most part, 360 has the performance over PS3 but overall the PS3 is more powerful...even on the sheets.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Although we are still getting gems like Uncharted 3, with most new games like BF3 and GTAV console gamers will not be able to experience the definitive version of the game, so I hope Sony and MS hurry it up.
    Hmmm, I am happy enough with playing the definitive versions of The Last Guardian, Twisted Metal and Starhawk for the time being.

Thread Information