Latest PSU headlines:

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    I am sorry. I do not see it that way, a few moments where you're pushed under the pool etc isn't enough for me to call most of it a QTE event.

A QTE event, to me is a sequence of button presses that are at most times random (most games that use the system, use it that way -- it's not part of a combat system nor does it have any meaning or purpose behind it such as Triangle for dodge, Square for punch and circle to break free of the enemies grab move which you learn at the beginning to use later on in the game.)

Shenmue popularized the QTE event and it would randomly change to throw you off. Resident Evil 4 is another game that used it and it was always random. The buttons had no logical order or connection to each other.

Anyhow....I edited my previous post to say the folllowing:

"I'll give it a rest. I honestly think that it's a bit of stretch to say that the beginning is a series of QTE events. It appears that way because of how naughtydog uses their animation system + the location you are in, which is basically a closed area."

EDIT:

What do you mean (referring to your comment on Splinter Cell)?

In Splinter Cell (I haven't played most of it, only certain areas.) You have control of the character and you can move them around towards certain places to get a certain action, similar to UC3. You can push enemies towards a table, you can dodge etc etc.
    Last edited by sainraja; 11-11-2011 at 03:15.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I am sorry. I do not see it that way, a few moments where you're pushed under the pool etc isn't enough for me to call most of it a QTE event.

A QTE event, to me is a sequence of button presses that are at most times random (most games that use the system, use it that way -- it's not part of a combat system nor does it have any meaning or purpose behind it such as Triangle for dodge, Square for punch and circle to break free of the enemies grab move which you learn at the beginning to use later on in the game.)

Shenmue popularized the QTE event and it would randomly change to throw you off. Resident Evil 4 is another game that used it and it was always random. The buttons had no logical order or connection to each other.

Anyhow....I edited my previous post to say the folllowing:

"I'll give it a rest. I honestly think that it's a bit of stretch to say that the beginning is a series of QTE events. It appears that way because of how naughtydog uses their animation system + the location you are in, which is basically a closed area."

EDIT:

What do you mean (referring to your comment on Splinter Cell)?

In Splinter Cell (I haven't played most of it, only certain areas.) You have control of the character and you can move them around towards certain places to get a certain action, similar to UC3. You can push enemies towards a table, you can dodge etc etc.
    Heres my gripe, the first chapter.

Cutscene
    Push X (learn to fight)
    Push Y (learn to fight)
    Cutscene (helping Sully out of chair)
    Push Buttons
    Push Buttons
    Free fight 1 guy for 15 seconds
    Cutscene (smash guys head into pool table)
    Cutscene (guy comes in, Sully jumps on his back you pick up a chair)
    Push Button
    Cutscene (guy throws you down to the next floor)

Its not QTE, but it so small amount of actual "control" before it gets wrestled away from you for the sake of the story.

Maybe the first chapter is a bad eaxmple, I dont know but heels teeth the followed that up with the most obvious (path wise)and boring "follow him through the streets" chapter. I couldnt even deviate if wanted to.
    You know, I never even drew my gun.
    Maybe thats what I missed, the chance to shoot someone.

Re: splinter cell, watch the intergiation scenes, when you interrigate someone, all you really do is choose what particular cutscene you going to trigger.
    You can drag him to a wall, or a mirror, or a table etc, but once you hit the "smash him" button its all cutscene.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-11-2011 at 03:40.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    To me to, in Uncharted3 those event are not QTE..... IMO!!!!
    Sony BRAVIA 40" XBR4
    harman/kardon AVR1600
    1Tb PS3 slim
    500Gb PS4
    Toshiba S50D A
    AMD A10-5745M APU 2.10Ghz
    AMD Radeon HD 8500M
    8Gb RAM
    1Tb Hdd
    Windows 8

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Heres my gripe, the first chapter.

Cutscene
    Push X (learn to fight)
    Push Y (learn to fight)
    Cutscene (helping Sully out of chair)
    Push Buttons
    Push Buttons
    Free fight 1 guy for 15 seconds
    Cutscene (smash guys head into pool table)
    Cutscene (guy comes in, Sully jumps on his back you pick up a chair)
    Push Button
    Cutscene (guy throws you down to the next floor)

Its not QTE, but it so small amount of actual "control" before it gets wrestled away from you for the sake of the story.

Maybe the first chapter is a bad eaxmple, I dont know but heels teeth the followed that up with the most obvious (path wise)and boring "follow him through the streets" chapter. I couldnt even deviate if wanted to.
    You know, I never even drew my gun.
    Maybe thats what I missed, the chance to shoot someone.

Re: splinter cell, watch the intergiation scenes, when you interrigate someone, all you really do is choose what particular cutscene you going to trigger.
    You can drag him to a wall, or a mirror, or a table etc, but once you hit the "smash him" button its all cutscene.
    But isn't that the entire point? You still have a fight/gun system but they wanna add some dramatic element to it.

I'd rather have it like UC3 than Batman but I don't prefer Heavy Rain's style.

In the end, I would rather actually have full freedom like in Skyrim but I can certainly understand that the intensity wouldn't be as good if you were just randomly beating people up as opposed to going through series of cool things happening while you somewhat had control over the situation (like beating them up and stuff and then you go through an action sequence).

That is what would make the game more enjoyable to me. It's really the only way we can have a movie-like game because otherwise the right stuff can't happen at the right time and the right way.

Direction and cues are extremely important in movies and if you wanna make a game out of it, in order to achieve that dramatic effect, you NEED direction. A game like Batman is extremely different than a game like Uncharted.

Ultimate Veteran
    Not really sure what the argument is about. MS and it's horde of developer support are more than free to make a game that looks as good as Uncharted 3. One system is talking and one is walking.. With a year less on shelves at that. And supposedly making games on the PS3 is harder and more expensive than sending rockets to Mars, too.

Just..

Saying..

6. Likes Kauldron likes this post
    Super Elite
    Castlevania looks better than Uncharted, imo. Both platforms
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny_jr View Post
    To me to, in Uncharted3 those event are not QTE..... IMO!!!!
    Well thats also the point, no one said they were, we said they are pseudo quick time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    But isn't that the entire point? You still have a fight/gun system but they wanna add some dramatic element to it.

I'd rather have it like UC3 than Batman but I don't prefer Heavy Rain's style.

In the end, I would rather actually have full freedom like in Skyrim but I can certainly understand that the intensity wouldn't be as good if you were just randomly beating people up as opposed to going through series of cool things happening while you somewhat had control over the situation (like beating them up and stuff and then you go through an action sequence).
    But thats the point, a game that is tightly focused/scripted, is always always going to look better than game that is not.
    Uncharte dis going to suit some, its not going to suit others. Im not tyring to say "this game sucks".
    What I have been saying is, a game thta is tightly put together like this is alway sgoing to look fantastic.
    That is what would make the game more enjoyable to me. It's really the only way we can have a movie-like game because otherwise the right stuff can't happen at the right time and the right way.

Direction and cues are extremely important in movies and if you wanna make a game out of it, in order to achieve that dramatic effect, you NEED direction. A game like Batman is extremely different than a game like Uncharted.
    Absolutly, it also doesnt look as good as Uncharted.
    Viva la difference etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Not really sure what the argument is about. MS and it's horde of developer support are more than free to make a game that looks as good as Uncharted 3.
    Hordes? You mean those few guys in the corner of the room?

One system is talking and one is walking.. With a year less on shelves at that. And supposedly making games on the PS3 is harder and more expensive than sending rockets to Mars, too.

Just..

Saying..
    Last edited by mynd; 11-11-2011 at 05:06.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Extreme Poster
    Well thats also the point, no one said they were, we said they are pseudo quick time.

But thats the point, a game that is tightly focused/scripted, is always always going to look better than game that is not.
    Uncharte dis going to suit some, its not going to suit others. Im not tyring to say "this game sucks".
    What I have been saying is, a game thta is tightly put together like this is alway sgoing to look fantastic.
    Absolutly, it also doesnt look as good as Uncharted.
    Viva la difference etc.
    So this is about graphics? I thought it was about gameplay lol.

Alright, even then, no one can get up and make a game that looks this good...it takes a lot of skill and they are leading the console industry right now. I totally agree that their design choice does make it easier but it is still a feat. You compare it to other games and it doesn't just look fractionally better but vastly better.

So I think the design advantage is not the reason why it looks this good.

Forum Sage
    mynd -- you're saying it's tightly scripted based off of the first few chapters? The game does open up later on. You're not always confined to a small space or area.

Yes, it won't be as open as an open-world game (not sure what made you expect that in the first place.) The Uncharted series is as linear and open as any other linear game is, to give you an idea just think of the first Batman or first Prince of Persia, Gears of War etc.

Also, I don't think we're gonna agree on the QTE discussion.

Batman AC looks pretty good for an open-world game though...
    Last edited by sainraja; 11-11-2011 at 05:18.

Super Elite
    Why couldn't Uncharted make a more open game?.. Bcuz then the graphics would have to be toned down and Sony would not be please with that.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    So this is about graphics? I thought it was about gameplay lol.
    LOL, no, it was about the PS3's power, and how developers choose to use.

I think it looks good because of the mixture of an outstanding developer, and the design choice.

Yes you'll find me sititng on the fence over there.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    To me Castlevania does'nt hold a candle next to GOW3, so let alone UC3!!!!! IMO
    Sony BRAVIA 40" XBR4
    harman/kardon AVR1600
    1Tb PS3 slim
    500Gb PS4
    Toshiba S50D A
    AMD A10-5745M APU 2.10Ghz
    AMD Radeon HD 8500M
    8Gb RAM
    1Tb Hdd
    Windows 8

Soldier 95B
    I said they were and they are, IMO. They were there throughout the ENTIRE game, not just the beginning. I played on Easy (not Very Easy).

Forum Sage

I think it looks good because of the mixture of an outstanding developer, and the design choice.

The first two chapters aren't really a good indicator of how linear/scripted the game is. It opens up similar to Uncharted 2 later on. Also, it's just as linear as the games I mentioned in my previous post. In the beginning a bit more so.

@Soldier -- Play Shenmue, play Resident Evil 4 and then play UC3 and tell me the difference between how UC3 handles it compared to the other two.

You can't call combat a QTE event. Otherwise, every type of combat with a pre-set sequence of buttons that you press is one.
    Last edited by sainraja; 11-11-2011 at 15:49.

Soldier 95B
    @Soldier -- Play Shenmue, play Resident Evil 4 and then play UC3 and tell me the difference between how UC3 handles it compared to the other two.
    I have played God of War 3, Heavy Rain and RE4. Never Shenmue though.

You can't call combat a QTE event.
    I can, and will

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    It's not EVERY combat sequence, but there are some on there.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It's not EVERY combat sequence, but there are some on there.
    Yup..sprinkled through. I enjoyed them personally.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I have played God of War 3, Heavy Rain and RE4. Never Shenmue though.

I can, and will
    So would you call Mortal Kombat a QTE based fighting game? Yes, (I know) Uncharted 3's combat is a lot simpler. In order to make my point, I'll give you that the big guy can be considered a QTE event but later on in the game you have to rely on the combo they teach you in the beginning to fight him. How is that a QTE?

In the first game, it was called the 'Brutal Combo' (square, triangle, square) and the only other combo you had was square, square, square, square, square (5 times?)
    Last edited by sainraja; 11-11-2011 at 16:11.

Super Elite
    The Xbox has the superior hardware this generation.

Soldier 95B
    So would you call Mortal Kombat a QTE based fighting game? Yes, (I know) Uncharted 3's combat is a lot simpler. In order to make my point, I'll give you that the big guy can be considered a QTE event but later on in the game you have to rely on the combo they teach you in the beginning to fight him. How is that a QTE?

In the first game, it was called the 'Brutal Combo' (square, triangle, square) and the only other combo you had was square, square, square, square, square (5 times?)
    Not sure. Great game none the less.

Forum Sage
    The PS3 has the superior name. =P

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    The Xbox has the superior hardware this generation.

Super Elite
    Xbox has the more powerful GPU. Hence the better looking multiplats. And the Xbox CPU has 3 cores in stead of 1.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal

Extreme Poster

could've sworn we were talking about QTEs or lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Xbox has the more powerful GPU. Hence the better looking multiplats. And the Xbox CPU has 3 cores in stead of 1.
    and that doesn't matter because the PS3 as an overall machine can output more.

and do you honestly believe the Xbox CPU is better than Cell? You're counting cores...great lol.

Ok, moving along.

P.S. 360 has better-looking multiplats due to its unified (hence efficient) RAM structure. Since most games don't utilize the CPU much, it outperforms the PS3 due to having more available video RAM when cpu didn't end up using much RAM, which has been the case this generation. Only if Cell is utilized correctly, you can see results such as BF3...very scarce and imo a moot point for the most part but still, it's there.

Thread Information