Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    Items Atari

Goldeneye: reloaded

I just rented the new Goldeneye, and I have to say that I loved it. For those of you who don't remember, Goldeneye was a Bond film from the nineties, and the accompanying game was one of the best N64 games made. Activision has done a remake of the game, but has chosen to update the plot, and use Daniel Craig as bond, instead of Pierce Brosnan. The game has a long campaign, split screen and online modes. I haven't played split screen, but I did play through the campaign on easy, and I tried an online match. The campaign is pretty fun. The basic shooting mechanics are borrowed from COD, so it plays kinda like call of duty, instead of goldeneye of old. However, there is a much greater emphasis on stealth, and most levels have multiple pathways. There are mission objectives to accomplish, its not just "reach the end of the level." This time, instead of 20 or so missions which last about 5-10 minutes, there are 10 missions which last about 20 minutes each. Each mission provides pretty diverse objectives, and the objectives change as you increase difficulty. They have regenerating health for the easier difficulties, but there's also a "Classic" mode with no regenerative health, but armor pickups, like the original. The campaign was pretty fun, though I don't think the level design quite lives up to the original (Its tough to top perfection). That said, I had a lot of fun with the campaign, I plan on playing through several more times.

The online mode is very similar to Call of Duty, with perks, upgrades and the like. However, the online modes have a lot of customizibility, and it seems like there are less "shenanigans" than in COD. Online mode seems pretty fun, but I really wish I had a chance to play split screen. The game still manages to capture some of the "cat-and-mouse" style play from the original, which I was really encouraged to see. Trust me, you can't play Goldeneye online as you would COD. The game did let me down a bit in the graphics department. Its no Killzone 3, but its by no means a bad looking game. You can tell that this game was upgraded from the Wii version, not originally designed for PS3. That said, the game usually looks sharp. The only thing I struggled with was seeing where baddies are. I have the same problem in COD, though. The sound department was the only place I really felt let down. The gun sounds in this game aren't really very good. I liked the gun noise better in the N64 version, and lets be honest, the N64 wasn't known for its sound processing capability. Despite some of the presentation niggles, this is a great game, and its totally worth playing. Its even got Move support, if you like that. I wouldn't say get it over Uncharted, but if you want a 4 player split screen shooter for PS3, which also has a great campaign, buy this game without hesitation.

(A quick note: Modern Warfare 3 launches next week, which will likely decimate the sales of goldeneye. If you wait a little while, you should be able to get this game on the cheap)
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

2. Likes Bigdoggy likes this post
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Hopefully it gets to $20 by christmas.. Places I go to gave it a 7.5 - 8.5, and I was honestly expecting it to get 6. Lmfao.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Dedicated Member
    Thanks for the review.

I was keeping an eye on this game as the N64 version is a classic.

I'll probably get it when it goes cheap. With COD out this week and Battlefield 3 out hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Credit to THUGGEDOUT for the Sig

Apprentice
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I also rented this game out today. IMO it's just alright, nothing great about it. The graphics arent the best in the game. With the aiming assist turned on you cant $#@!ing miss the enemies at all. It's worth a rent, not sure if it's worth a purchase though. Havent tried online yet so dont know what thats like.
    Its definitely nothing like Golden Eye from the Nintendo 64. That was an epic game back then.

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    I thought that the game was somewhat difficult even on the easy setting. Maybe I'm just becoming rubbish at games as I now have more responsibilities, and I play a lot less than I did a couple of years ago. The problem is, people are coming in thinking its going to be: "Goldeneye HD," just an HD version of the N64 classic, like they did with Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie. Instead think of it like "Peter Jacksons King Kong." Its a reinterpreted vision of the original game, and then it makes more sense.
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Well I won't be needing to buy this because...

I have

THIS!

Veteran
    Items Dark Souls CoverMuseSteam
    Is there any throwback to the 64 game? I have it on my gamefly q but I was hoping there would at least be some similarities to the levels of the older game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Birbiglia
    Why would you go talk about computers when you could stay here and go skiing and your skis will be french toast sticks!

Superior Member
    Thanks for the review OP.They really need to just release the N64 version on playstation network with online capability. That would be amazing.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Thanks for the review.

I, like many others, loved the original on the N64 and have been interested in this rendition.
    If it goes to a decent price around Christmas then I will definitely pick up a copy.

I'm not a multiplayer guy and focus mainly on the single player element of games, so the fact that you say the single player campaign is good is good enough for me.

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    There isn't too much in common with the single player mode from the original and the new version, but I think they give a few nods to the original. I do know there is a Golden Gun mode in multi, for example. All of the levels play differently. And they finally made the runway and tank levels play good! Sadly, there's no Silo mission, its been replaced with a nightclub mission. The cradle level isn't quite as fun, either, which kinda sucks. I think they also took out the bonus missions of Aztek and Egyptian. Who knows, maybe we'll get them as DLC. The way the campaign works is different from the original. Each mission is really long now, and they only have 11, I believe. The gameplay is not like Goldeneye of old, or even Timesplitters. Its like a cross between Nightfire from the PS2 era, and Call of Duty. It feels different. Its actually pretty good, but it doesn't feel like the old game. Like I said, if you come in looking for Goldeneye 64 HD, you'll be disappointed, but its a good game in its own right.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Well it's not a remake it's just "reloaded" meaning they basically did a revamp of the orginal golden eye to a newer one. pretty much like what would it look like right now vs back then a complete reload/revamp/overhaul.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    they can't for legal purposes.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I was talking with my friend and we both agreed that Rareware should do an HD re-master of Goldeneye and put it on Xbox live market place and PSN (lol yeah right, like that's ever gonna happen cause Nintendo owns it) and include online. It would sell like hotcakes, but I still would implore people to play Goldeneye on an N64 in its prime.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I just played the demo and I was impressed. This is not a low-quality game and it plays very smoothly. It's basically James Bond: Call of Duty Edition, but I don't have a problem with that.

As a big James Bond fan, I definitely want to play this game at some point, but it will depend on the price. And I'd like to know if the multiplayer is well-populated.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I played the demo last night and I thought it was really good. You can definitely tell they threw some Call of Duty action in there, but I'm not complaining. Take the auto-aim feature off and crank the difficulty up and you're playing a fantastic game. I've always been a sucker for Bond games though. So sue me.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    ill stick with the original until it is cheap. i even whipped out my N64 to play it more lol

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

PSN ID
    VoteForSOCOM1HD
    I bought this game on black friday from Amazon for $30 but then decided to back out after there were mix reviews. Might have to give it another shot.
    VOTE FOR SOCOM 1 HD. PLEASE! Click the link below, sign into your PSN Account, and click the green arrow. If you're really gonna go out of your way and log in just to click the red arrow...Don't bother.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com...26/socom-1-hd/

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Yeah it was ok, I don't like the levels though. They are inspired from the original, but it should have been done faithfully, inch by inch, with the HD-update over it. And Alec Trevalyn does not look convincing at all. Sean Bean will always be the true Alec to me. Glad I didn't buy it. I'll stick to the original and BEST version ever. Goldeneye 64.

Soldier 95B
    Dang it, I was hoping this would be available as a digital download

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    the demo was ok. I was expecting worse. I'll probably pick this up when it's cheaper.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Dedicated Member
    Gamestation.co.uk - One day deal, 21 today only.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I felt they butchered this game. This is not the same game I played on the N64. The levels are not the same. Another jacked up remake.

Forum Elder
    I'm a sucker for Bond movies and games so this will be bought once i finish the games i have, too many of them...

I loved the demo, the campaign looks like a fun ride. And the gameplay is like COD, wich is good news to me.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I felt they butchered this game. This is not the same game I played on the N64. The levels are not the same. Another jacked up remake.
    OK, it's different, but is it good?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    OK, it's different, but is it good?

Honestly I did not like it. I could not put aside the fact that it was nothing like the classic. The enemies are complete morons and now you have a partner helping with your missions. If anyone picks this up thinking it is Goldeneye with a face lift, you will be very upset. I wish it was like Halo Anniversary where the game has not been changed at all.

Thread Information