Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Which Game Has Contributed The Most To The Industry?

As the title says. Which game has contributed the most to the gaming industry, this can be any contribution.

Mine is probably Mario 64. It was one of the early 3D games and really showed the world what 3D gaming was all about. It opened up new possibilities and new ways to play. I could go on all year about this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'd agree with Mario 64. Goldeneye too....

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Pong.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

4. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Zelda it started the RPG genre and of course Ocarina of time introduced some mechanics(like lock on) that has become standard for many different game.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I guess WarCraft and StarCraft series by Blizzard revolutionized the strategy genre.

Apprentice
    I'd agree with Mario also. But I'd add to the first place with Zelda as a sort of part 2 first place. More exploration than any other game I'd experienced.

And I'd also suggest, Super Smash Bros. It emphasised the growth of the industry, an industry big enough to have celebrity characters that a single game could be based upon merely their popularity. Except maybe Ice Climbers, I still don't know who they are.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammy41 View Post
    I'd agree with Mario also. But I'd add to the first place with Zelda as a sort of part 2 first place. More exploration than any other game I'd experienced.

And I'd also suggest, Super Smash Bros. It emphasised the growth of the industry, an industry big enough to have celebrity characters that a single game could be based upon merely their popularity. Except maybe Ice Climbers, I still don't know who they are.
    They we're $#@!ing $#@!, thats who they were. Amount of times i got killed trying to do the game with them. Useless i tell you. Useless.

Earthbound
    CoD games have (sadly in my opinion) had a big influence on the industry. I'd say they did DLC in a big way first and lots of clones have followed them.

Also blooming EA and their online passes. I pay 40 to play the damn game, now let me play it where I want if that's at home or at a friends!
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    CoD games have (sadly in my opinion) had a big influence on the industry. I'd say they did DLC in a big way first and lots of clones have followed them.

Also blooming EA and their online passes. I pay 40 to play the damn game, now let me play it where I want if that's at home or at a friends!
    I'm exchanging BF3 on Monday and never buying an EA game again. I've said this before when they screwed me over with Medal of Honour games (more than one), BF2142 and some other games. But this time I'm serious. Except Mass Effect 3. I'll let that slide. That's too good.

Forum Sage

In what way? CoD wasn't the first game to be releasing with Map packs.

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    GTA III has done a lot as well.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Iron sight I guess.

Quake - first true 3D FPS game with mouse look.
    Last edited by keefy; 11-06-2011 at 20:12.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    GTAIII - This game was a freaking revolution.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy41 View Post
    I'm exchanging BF3 on Monday and never buying an EA game again. I've said this before when they screwed me over with Medal of Honour games (more than one), BF2142 and some other games. But this time I'm serious. Except Mass Effect 3. I'll let that slide. That's too good.
    The biggest cause for concern regarding this is the fact that it'll most likely spread. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I recall a discussion regarding the fact that other companies might follow in EA's footsteps and start creating online passes. In fact I think Sony was among the companies who said they would start making all of their games come with an online pass.

Not only does this make online gaming more difficult, but it is also a punch to the throat for places like GameStop and Blockbuster (and their counterparts in other countries), who get a large portion of their profits from reselling games / renting games. In a gaming world where online is becoming an increasingly important aspect of gaming, it is going to get harder and harder for places like GameStop and Blockbuster to keep up, unless they can devise some way to provide online gaming to users without code. A game rental store could, for example, issue temporary codes; a code that would only permit the user to play for the period of their rental. When the game is due, the code would expire and online would be locked again.

Places like GameStop could then be issued additional codes that they could put into the cases of used games so that they could continue to resell games, and still be able to provide the buyer with the online experience they inevitably will want.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Earthbound
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    In what way? CoD wasn't the first game to be releasing with Map packs.
    Correct. But it's the first game I remember where they released 3/4 map packs costing 8 (ish) each.

One thing I'm sure we can agree on, it's a piss take when the content is on the disk, and your 'DLC' just unlocks it.

You couldn't get away with that with any other product. Imagine buying a 5 seat car but your told you can't use them for 3 months, they are there but damn you can't have them! Not until you pay for something you technically already own.

18. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post

Quake - first true 3D FPS game with mouse look.
    If you ignore Marathon in 1994.

Yes, it was Bungie, not id Software, that introduced true 3D with mouselook.

To me the most influential game would have to be Doom. It was the one that changed everything for gaming. It made 3D games mainstream, it pushed the limits of acceptable game content, or ushered in the era of game mods, and it was one of the first licensed game engines.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 11-08-2011 at 02:51.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    If you ignore Marathon in 1994.

Yes, it was Bungie, not id Software, that introduced true 3D with mouselook.

To me the most influential game would have to be Doom. It was the one that changed everything for gaming. It made 3D games mainstream, it pushed the limits of acceptable game content, or ushered in the era of game mods, and it was one of the first licensed game engines.
    Marathon isn't true 3D, its like Doom and Duke 3D which uses sprites for weapons and enemies.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Gran Turismo. Took the racing genre from arcade games into something real car enthusiasts could appreciate.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    COD MW...I kid. I would have to say Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in my eyes. Definitely brought a lot to the table as far as innovations go. I could still play it over from beginning to end today.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Maybe Super Mario Bros 3 for nes because it was a nearly flawless game and the Super Mario Bros franchise helped Nintendo revamp the gaming industry.
    Video Game Reviewers - over 100 reviewers ranked

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Mario 64 and zelda oot. Mario 64 brought us being able to turn camera in a 3d game and zelda brought us lock on.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Super Mario Bros. Dragon Quest, Sonic The HedgeHog, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Final Fantasy VII, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto III.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    super mario series,final fantasy series,resident evil series,the cod series..yea and the metal gear series imo

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage
    Correct. But it's the first game I remember where they released 3/4 map packs costing 8 (ish) each.

One thing I'm sure we can agree on, it's a piss take when the content is on the disk, and your 'DLC' just unlocks it.

You couldn't get away with that with any other product. Imagine buying a 5 seat car but your told you can't use them for 3 months, they are there but damn you can't have them! Not until you pay for something you technically already own.

I don't think that is a very good argument against the practice (which I am also not a fan of.) Digital media does not function quite the same as physical media so you can't apply the same rules to it..

Thread Information