Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    I don't know if these can be called tips, but I'll share how I'm going through the multiplayer.

-WHAT CLASS TO PLAY: I decided to focus in one class at a time. I started with support class. Why do I do this? First, because if you want to get a complete experience from a BF game you NEED to play all classes, then because if you play support a match and the next match you go sniper, the whole gameplay changes in a minute. So, I stick to a class until I get the 50 hours medal, then I move to the next class, and so on.

-SUPPORT TIPS: since I'm playing support, I'll give a few tips. Remember, you always need to give ammo to your teammates. So, stick together with your squad members and ALWAYS throw an ammo box next to them when taking a position (f.i. defending a flag or a Mmcom). Try to get all the upgrades you have for your LMG. At first it will feel like an untamed horse, but as soon as you get some practice and get the right upgrades, you'll find it's a powerfull short to long range weapon. I always use RDS, foregrip (this is a must) and suppressor. This class gets the mortar and claymores. While the mortar was very powerful in past BF games, here it works kinda different, and while it lets you get a view of great part of the map, it's pretty inaccurate. So, I always use claymores instead. They give you cover and free kills.

-GRINDING TO 45: I think the best way to do this is playing CTF mode. If you keep taking and defending flags, you'll end the round with a good ammount of points. Take into account that capturing an enemy flag can give you in less than a minute 450 points. Kills add value to your score, but you'll get more points if you are a team player. Support your squad at all times, give them ammo, heal them, spot enemies, etc. Remember, that everything you do helps you getting ribbons and medals, which are a great multiplier of your score.

-MAPS: I don't know if this qualifies as a tip, I think it's more an opinion. I find the maps ok, but nothing else. My favorite maps are Seine Crossing and Grand Bazaar, because both maps allow a continuous confrontation, and are very well designed. I think the Karkand pack will add a lot because the 4 maps included are way superior than any other map in BF3, specially Strike at Karkand, best MP map ever IMO.

-DON'T BE A VEHICLE $#@!: I always hated those guys in BF2, when on PC you were playing on a 64 people map with 4 tanks, and 16 of your teammates were trying to get one of the 2 vehicles all the time. Share the vehicles, don't be a vehicle $#@!. Tanks and APCs are for everyone, but if you don't have enough skill don't you ever take a chopper, and much less a plane. Helicopters are pretty easy to fly after some practice ok, but planes require a lot of skill and you are wasting a powerfull weapong if you don't know how to use it. Practice in a private game, don't ruin the experience for the rest of the team. Another thing I hate is people taking the only APC in Grand Bazaar or Tehran Highway without waiting for other people. I know they are small maps, but you need to play as team, don't be a vehicle $#@!.
    PLAYING: DRIVER SAN FRANCISCO, TEAM ICO HD COLLECTION, BF3 BETA.
    GETTING: UNCHARTED 3, BATTLEFIELD 3, TWISTED METAL, LAST GUARDIAN (RELASE DATE?)

2. Likes Omar likes this post

PSN ID
    RipleyExile
    Be careful where you stand/crouch/go prone. I was playing conquest on Operation Metro last night and I was prone on the platform near the park entrance taking pot shots at oncoming attackers when I got a knife in the throat for my trouble. The only problem (apart from being killed) was that when the attacker turned me over to insert said knife in my windpipe I could see that he was reaching through a solid concrete wall to to do it. Disbelief and slight amusement were my overriding emotions during that particular event.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Don't forget to look for squads in the menu. I was in a game earlier, there was one full squad, another with two people in and something like six not in a squad. Little things like that lose you the game

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by RipleyExile View Post
    Be careful where you stand/crouch/go prone. I was playing conquest on Operation Metro last night and I was prone on the platform near the park entrance taking pot shots at oncoming attackers when I got a knife in the throat for my trouble. The only problem (apart from being killed) was that when the attacker turned me over to insert said knife in my windpipe I could see that he was reaching through a solid concrete wall to to do it. Disbelief and slight amusement were my overriding emotions during that particular event.
    oh yes i love that! when ppl lay down and slide all the way back that only half there body is visible, there legs are actually hanging out! so now that i started using thermal lol, all i do is look for legs hanging and shoot at them. i got a couple of knife kills by pulling them up from the opposite side of the wall

tip for conquest, dont go for the first flag! always go for the middle one (if there are only 3 flags on the map) let your team take the first. why? you get to control the game if you take the middle flag and also the ones smart enough to attack the middle flag will get kill points and flag defense points (if you know what you're doing)

Wow I would love to play with some of you, I seriously hate playing without a real squad that I know because I usually end up with a group of people who are just running around being the lone wolf hero guy.
    One thing I really love is thermal. Makes it SO easy to spot enemies especially if it's dark or you just want to scan an area to see if there are enemies.
    One thing I like doing is marking enemies (I think this is only assault class? Could be wrong) If you can't get them because they are far away hit select when aiming at them and it will mark them and it makes it so much easier for your team to see them.
    Give ammo if you're support class and can give it out. I hate running out of ammo and just standing by somebody to see if they will give me ammo only to find out that they don't care.
    My flying tips have already been stated
    PSN - FlaredWings

Double post? It said internet explorer crashed. I hate being on my parents computer, IE is the most worthless thing ever.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    spotting is for all class

Dedicated Member
    Any tips on flying the heli's, as I suck balls at it!
    PSN = prison_inmate

Dedicated Member
    At what rank does the golden eagle emblem appear?
    PSN = prison_inmate

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    45 then you start getting +1....under the eagle each time you rank up 230,000 is the max

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    My rookie tip (I posted this in the BF3 OT). As support on vehicle maps, the jeep is great for getting around to flags quickly. Tapping X will put you into the gunners seat to help hold off the enemy while you capture. The real power behind the jeep though is the ability to load it up with C4. Unlike most other vehicles, the jeep is fast, and if you see a tank coming up, give the jeep some boost then jump out. You will have your C4 trigger in hand and ready to go. Let the cars momentum take it to the tank and then BOOM!

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mudshark View Post
    Any tips on flying the heli's, as I suck balls at it!
    Change default controls to something else and try every one of them. For me, southpaw works.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaredwings View Post
    ...One thing I like doing is marking enemies (I think this is only assault class? Could be wrong) If you can't get them because they are far away hit select when aiming at them and it will mark them and it makes it so much easier for your team to see them...
    I love when people mark the opposition, especially on the larger maps. When I can I love jumping in a jet and owning the skies, which I must say I've become pretty good at. The problem is it is hard to see ground targets, which makes my rocket pod a bit useless. I have only played a few good matches where someone was marking vehicles and positions. I was able to take out 4 vehicles in two passes.

@ Ghost that c4 idea is brilliant, gonna try that tonight.
    Last edited by Gregorious; 11-18-2011 at 18:07.

SOTW...Get in there and Vote people

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudshark View Post
    At what rank does the golden eagle emblem appear?
    unfortunately there are no tips for flying
    it really does just take practice. IGN have an alright tutorial on youtube but it basically just says to start off practicing take off, hovering and landing. then turning while hovering. then turnoing while flying and finally shooting while flying.

they stress, as do i, you will die a lot during practice

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSight View Post
    unfortunately there are no tips for flying
    it really does just take practice. IGN have an alright tutorial on youtube but it basically just says to start off practicing take off, hovering and landing. then turning while hovering. then turnoing while flying and finally shooting while flying.

they stress, as do i, you will die a lot during practice
    Best way is to coop with someone in the second mission where you fly the chopper (scout heli is much easier to control).

Veteran
    Items Dark Souls CoverMuseSteam
    I used the default controls for aircraft and now the legacy controls are difficult

Oh well, I would much rather tag along in a vehicle and use the easy to control gun to get points. Then maybe when I unlock some good stuff for them, I'll have a better chance in the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Birbiglia
    Why would you go talk about computers when you could stay here and go skiing and your skis will be french toast sticks!

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Think I use Legacy & Southpaw. The defaults were so so wrong. I jumped in the jet and was like YES SO COOL and crashed within 5 seconds

Forum Overseer
    1. Just realized yesterday that I don't need to crouch to revive someone. Wow...I'm so dumb lol.

Now reviving is easy-mode. I enjoy it a lot. I go around everywhere and zap zap zap...especially in maps like Operation Metro.

2. If you're using MAV and someone is locking onto you, just get out of MAV and your vehicle will be safe again. This way you can keep trolling and checking out the area without getting killed...unless someone just shoots it.

3. For those that don't use the EDT bot or whatever it's called (engineers), the way to use it's ability to plant a bomb is by pressing square. Apparently you can use it exactly as a repair tool, which means you can kill people with it too. A good way to control the annoying thing is to first trying to go straight to gain speed and then move around so it's not going in circles. If you need to turn around, just stop and turn, no need to speed up to turn.

4. Another reminder that you don't run when behind enemy lines or around enemies because they will see you on their map.

5. If you're using mortar and feel that you're in danger...get out quickly even if it means that your mortar will be destroyed. Apparently you can restock yourself with another one by throwing down ammo. It restocks as fast as bullets (much faster than grenades).

6. Ammo and health boxes can empty out (in other words, they will disappear) so you will need to throw another one once in a while, especially if they're being used a lot. They can get shot and blown just like equipment.

Superior Member
    if you're a medic then revive your team mates!!!
    i'm so sick of bleeding out next to 2 or 3 medics. you get 100 points per revive and you're team will gain a ticket. sure sometimes you may die trying to help but its worth it.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSight View Post
    if you're a medic then revive your team mates!!!
    i'm so sick of bleeding out next to 2 or 3 medics. you get 100 points per revive and you're team will gain a ticket. sure sometimes you may die trying to help but its worth it.
    Normal mode, I see no reason why someone shouldn't revive even in front of a tank...well maybe not a tank but it depends.

It's too easy to revive someone in normal mode...so yea I don't get why people pick support and medic when they won't do either. They also need a better system of asking someone for a medic or ammo...it should give you a better indicator (like it used to in BC2) if someone needs them.

The only time I will look at my risks is when I'm playing hardcore mode. Too easy to die in that mode, but otherwise it's a lot of fun getting someone out of the jaws of death.

OH YEA, forgot to mention, I believe they must have changed this because I don't remember it being there.

So apparently, not only you don't lose a ticket, you also don't get a death on your stats. Which is why your death count doesn't update until you've completely died. Notice it next time. I thought it was just server lag but apparently this was intended and I like it.

Super Elite
    Here some of my tips:

FOR NEWCOMERS:

+ Try to stick with one class until you get used to it and to Battlefield's mechanics. I recommend Assault (Medic) and Support (Ammo) at first.

+ If you are playing with buddies and in huge maps with plenty vehicules. Switch to engineer and enter a Vehicule as a co-pilot, even if its a jeep or a tank, you need to learn how to use each vehicule propperlu and you'll do this by learning from good drivers. Why swaping to Engineer? well because you can repair your driver's vehicule and get rewarded with points, also doing this you will start working for a team and not for and by your own. Remember you can switch from a vehicule's position by pressing X.

+ As many mentioned before. SPOT enemies, do this by pointing an enemy a pressing the SELECT button. By doing this you alarm your team and show them where the enemy is. If some ally nearby kills the spotted enemy you'll get rewarded with points aswell.

+ Remember that each class has their own specific gadgets. Use them by pressing left or right in the D-PAD.

+ You can turn off-on burst mode with Down in the D-PAD. And turn on-off tactical lights with Up in the D-PAD.

+ As an assault, if you revive you'll get 100 points, same as killing, by trying to het used to this, you'll be also learning how to teamplay and will easyly get used to Battlefield.

+ Do NOT STEAL other teammates vehicules. If you see that a drive gets out of his vehicule to repair it, there is no reason for you to steal it. He has more chances of maintaining healthy a tank than you, you will just get killed and a tank destroyed, not supporting the team and gaing enemies rather than friends. Same as with co-pilots; if you see a co-pilot get out to repair, he probably is in the same squad as the driver and are communicating with each other, you will not add nothing good by letting that co-pilot left out the tank and you in instead.

+ Unless you want to play LONEWOLF and don't want to play in squads... Avoid Recon class as a Sniper. If you want to play alone, beign a sniper could be ok I guess.

EXPERIENCED PLAYERS

From my experience:

+ When playing RUSH (Attacking) and the enemy has great defense lines, try to switch to mortar (I read here that many of you think this gadget is useless) it is super effective since you'll notice that defenders are mostly camping or staying at a specific spot, same as for defensive tanks. If you aim correctly you'll kill an enemy with one shot. Tanks may requiere 2 or 3 hits to kill, 1-2 to dissable it.; this will turn the pages favoring your team. When there are good tank drivers, a mortal will make them loss their concentraiton which is good. JUST be aware that if you kill an enemy with mortal, he/she will respawn as a mortar aswell to claim his revenge at you, just try to move your position after your second kill to prevent this from happening.

+ When playing RUSH (Defending); if you plan to use C4s on M-COMs and these are begind a house wall or near a building, blow the near by walls with C4 first then plant C4s on the M-COM, if you are planning on hiding near the M-COM until an enemy arrives to his death, by blowing the walls you'll get an advance when this will happen, since your chances of knowing if an enemy comes from a building will increise, this is also usefull if you are defening with a tank, blow away useless walls.

+ When using a tank, my recomendation is to user thermal attachments with light MG to kills footed enemies.

+ Do not use mortars while playing conquest, you won't your team at all.

+ When playing CONQUEST and with a SQUAD try to stay at one flag. Capute and defende just one flag (this message goes for the entire squad) and if you see that an another squad is defending that flag already then do the ovbious and go capture/defende another flag. Is pointless if a whole team stays defending just a flag. Try to capture and defende middle flags, they are more active and more critival than your team beas near ones.

+ RECON class has great great team gadgets. Obviously, when playing in a squad, having a SNIPER GUN will not support your squad, instead I recommend to switch it a close/medium range gunlike the PP2000.

23. Likes Omar likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    playing as a medic now, i try my best to revive but my K/D is taking a beating because of it

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    playing as a medic now, i try my best to revive but my K/D is taking a beating because of it
    I know you love conquest and I hate playing as an assault on conquest.

My tip would be to play Rush on operation metro as an attacker or defender works too. Way easy to rack up on those revives in there. Medic is invaluable in Rush.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    lol still playing conquest to get my vehicles destroyed medal. trying to get all the medals and ribbons (one of the reasons i keep playing the game like i do)....and when am done with those, ill need to 5 star all the classes etc....fun game, havent even touched uncharted 3 thats much lol, after a couple of single player campaign glitches, i went back to BF3.

for hc mode, i only play tdm ans sq tdm for that mode

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    lol still playing conquest to get my vehicles destroyed medal. trying to get all the medals and ribbons (one of the reasons i keep playing the game like i do)....and when am done with those, ill need to 5 star all the classes etc....fun game, havent even touched uncharted 3 thats much lol, after a couple of single player campaign glitches, i went back to BF3.

for hc mode, i only play tdm ans sq tdm for that mode
    Ah. Yea it's a little tougher to do that on Rush unless it's Caspian Border or Kargh Island.

This is one of the only games that I've played this long...other games were MW, MW2 and Black Ops. Having a blast a lot more with BF3 overall though. I guess the only real issue I have with this game is the fact that it's still respawn...I get tired of it sometimes but it's still more strategic than COD games.

I just wish it had a non-respawn mode...would make it the ultimate game I'd ever wanted lol. I love all the guns and I feel like checking them all out at one point or another.

For example, I've recently been interested in M16 (the one with the burst) and maybe attaching a bipod and doing some long-range shots with a high scope. Would be interesting to do without being a recon class...so I can keep myself healed.

Just so many ways you can play this game. It's like the Gran Turismo of shooters for me lol.

Thread Information