Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Shows what happen when good marketing goes hand in hand with a stellar game. Rinse and repeat Sony.

Elite Member
    sony dont worry ill be buying my copy for xmas, i preorderd MW3 bk in march only then to notice days later UC3 was coming out 6days b4 MW3 :/ next time plz try not to realese a game near a MW game lol

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    @Ghost Rhayne, I have to agree. I'm glad that Sony took advantage of Uncharted 3's potential and marketed seriously. I just hope that Sony sees the potential in the Infamous series as well because so far, they've done a sloppy job.

DJDJ
    Good stuff, the series finally getting the sales it deserves.

Forum Sage

You can't down play that, it's an impressive figure

BBK Is Tapatalking

Ultimate Veteran
    over 3 million is pretty good. i will get the game sooner or later
    Last edited by coolguy; 11-11-2011 at 00:11.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Shows what happen when good marketing goes hand in hand with a stellar game. Rinse and repeat Sony.
    Where's Jo-San, the international business owner, when you need him.

Cancel two games, spend that money on UC3 marketing and get fractionally better sales...OMG WHY DIDN'T SONY THINK OF THAT!?

Oh noes, Uncharted is so going to get pwned by games that aren't in direct competition with it!

8. Likes Two4DaMoney , Nitey likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    I wanted to read the quotes and links, but I was too busy looking at 2 Fo' Da Money's avatar. That's an All-World ass!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Naughty dog, They definitely deserve that.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Where's Jo-San, the international business owner, when you need him.

Cancel two games, spend that money on UC3 marketing and get fractionally better sales...OMG WHY DIDN'T SONY THINK OF THAT!?

Oh noes, Uncharted is so going to get pwned by games that aren't in direct competition with it!
    If Uncharted 3 sold 3.8mn units to consumers on launch day that would be a fantastic achievement, making it one of the largest selling games of all time on any platform.

However it looks like someone miss-communicated the information and it's now been confirmed over at Neogaf that it's actually the shipped figure, not consumers buying 3.8mn units on the first day, which would rank sales amongst the Call of Duty titles.

Which would make sense because we know Uncharted 3 sold a total of 240k units over the course of a week (not a single day) in two of Sony's three largest markets (Japan and the UK). I suspect worldwide sales figures for the first month at retail will be in the region of 1.0-1.5mn units which is what I think Uncharted 2 managed.

DJDJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo-san View Post
    If Uncharted 3 sold 3.8mn units to consumers on launch day that would be a fantastic achievement, making it one of the largest selling games of all time on any platform.

However it looks like someone miss-communicated the information and it's now been confirmed over at Neogaf that it's actually the shipped figure, not consumers buying 3.8mn units on the first day, which would rank sales amongst the Call of Duty titles.

Which would make sense because we know Uncharted 3 sold a total of 240k units over the course of a week (not a single day) in two of Sony's three largest markets (Japan and the UK). I suspect worldwide sales figures for the first month at retail will be in the region of 1.0-1.5mn units which is what I think Uncharted 2 managed.
    Dam if your right then PS3 owners are letting ND down yet again! Why cant this game shift copies like Gears or Halo?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Ahh.... I thought the figure was high. Makes sense now. Maybe someone can change the thread title.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Shipped seems more realistic, that's for sure
    But does that mean Sony sold 3.8m copies to retailers world wide? Just wondering why they would use the term sold instead of shipped

I guess as far as Sony are concerned, once they've sold to retailers - thats money in their bank

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I guess that's a good way to spin it. (not you, but Sony)

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    You'd expect this after the first two games. Even if they had decided to dump Drake's Deception and make Uncharted Kart Racing instead, it would've kicked ass!
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Dedicated Member

DJDJ - Lack of pervasive marketing in a congested market environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Shipped seems more realistic, that's for sure
    But does that mean Sony sold 3.8m copies to retailers world wide? Just wondering why they would use the term sold instead of shipped

I guess as far as Sony are concerned, once they've sold to retailers - thats money in their bank
    Technically Sony doesn't sell to the likes of you or me, they predominantly sell to wholesalers/retailers who then sell the software and hardware onto us the consumer. EA for instance sold 10mn units of Battlefield 3 to retailers, of which 5mn were sold in the first week to consumers. I think the reason they worded it as such is that they've been boxed in by the $100mn marketing budgets for both Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3, the result is a bit of 'creative' PR to try and get the title to stand out amongst the average consumer.

So it could be argued from their present perspective that they've sold the units and now that the retailers are in possession of the units, it is up to them to shift their stock even if it meant that not a single copy was sold to a consumer.

Of course it isn't always as cut and dry as that; retailers typically have contracts to protect themselves from an oversupply or undersupply of a title. For instance if a retailer has to discount a game because it didn't shift units at full retail price, the retailer can potentially claim a clawback (or discount/exclusive for future titles) from the publisher to soften the blow. In some instances the publisher may have to take back stock; hence the idea for bundled 'old' games with new consoles. In the past, an oversupply of a title led to publishers and retailers dumping the games in landfill sites!

That retailer is also highly unlikely to make a request for an additional shipment if the price-point is below a certain point because the margins will be poor; and retailers only have a finite amount of space to sell games. Hence this is why it is imperative for heavy front-loaded sales.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    DJDJ - Lack of pervasive marketing in a congested market environment.

Technically Sony doesn't sell to the likes of you or me, they predominantly sell to wholesalers/retailers who then sell the software and hardware onto us the consumer. EA for instance sold 10mn units of Battlefield 3 to retailers, of which 5mn were sold in the first week to consumers. I think the reason they worded it as such is that they've been boxed in by the $100mn marketing budgets for both Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3, the result is a bit of 'creative' PR to try and get the title to stand out amongst the average consumer.

So it could be argued from their present perspective that they've sold the units and now that the retailers are in possession of the units, it is up to them to shift their stock even if it meant that not a single copy was sold to a consumer.

Of course it isn't always as cut and dry as that; retailers typically have contracts to protect themselves from an oversupply or undersupply of a title. For instance if a retailer has to discount a game because it didn't shift units at full retail price, the retailer can potentially claim a clawback (or discount/exclusive for future titles) from the publisher to soften the blow. In some instances the publisher may have to take back stock; hence the idea for bundled 'old' games with new consoles. In the past, an oversupply of a title led to publishers and retailers dumping the games in landfill sites!

That retailer is also highly unlikely to make a request for an additional shipment if the price-point is below a certain point because the margins will be poor; and retailers only have a finite amount of space to sell games. Hence this is why it is imperative for heavy front-loaded sales.
    Right, gotcha. You're probably right about why they worded it the way they did

So, with them shipping/selling 3.8m copies of UC3 worldwide to retailers/wholesalers, they've managed to sell 1.2m (vgchartz) to consumers in the first week. I think that's OKAY, not overly impressive by any means for a title of such magnitude

Though, I do think the retailers/wholesalers will manage to sell the majority of that stock which Sony has shipped globally, with Black Firday and Christmas looming

I'm assuming the retailers/wholesalers are the ones incharge of how much they stock they want to purchase from Sony for a game right? I don't think they would order in as much as 3.8m units if they didn't feel they could sell them within say the first month or two

Sony looks a bit stupid saying sold here, although technicaly they HAVE sold to retailers. You don't see EA saying BF sold 10m copies first day =P

That's just how they roll I guess. Anyway, good show!

Soldier 95B

Good catch Jo-san. It's a game worthy of 3.8 million sold to consumers though. 1-1.5 is still good.

Extreme Poster

and that's still a feat considering the previous installment didn't even ship that much on launch.

It means the retailers are expecting it to sell really well.

Point is: UC3 didn't get crushed by BF3 or MW3 as you were forecasting.

Soldier 95B
    Well, EVERYTHING has been crushed by MW3.

Extreme Poster
    well yea and that...i guess everyone should've come out earlier hehe.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    and that's still a feat considering the previous installment didn't even ship that much on launch.

It means the retailers are expecting it to sell really well.

Point is: UC3 didn't get crushed by BF3 or MW3 as you were forecasting.
    As of data released today for the UK market (third largest for Sony) we know that Uncharted 3 had first week sales of 116,000, which is an increase of 37% (84,000) on Uncharted 2. Uncharted 3 subsequently saw second week sales of 32,500 (a decline of 72%), while Uncharted 2 saw second week sales of 54,520 (a decline of 53%). Over the first two weeks on sale, Uncharted 2 sold around 138,500 units while Uncharted 3 sold 148,500.

That represents a marginal difference of 10,000 (7%) units despite the growth in PS3 user base; however it should also be highlighted that because Uncharted 3 launched on a Wednesday (11/11/02), it had an additional two days of sales over the two week sale period; Uncharted 2 launched on a Friday (09/10/16). On a per-day sales basis, Uncharted 3 is selling below Uncharted 2.

Hence, if Sony has shipped substantially more than Uncharted 2 then I suspect there is a strong probability that the game will be heavily discounted in coming weeks as retailers shift unsold stock.

For comparison MW3 sold a mind boggling 800,000 units on the PS3 in its first week at retail in the UK.

Extreme Poster
    As of data released today for the UK market (third largest for Sony) we know that Uncharted 3 had first week sales of 116,000, which is an increase of 37% (84,000) on Uncharted 2. Uncharted 3 subsequently saw second week sales of 32,500 (a decline of 72%), while Uncharted 2 saw second week sales of 54,520 (a decline of 53%). Over the first two weeks on sale, Uncharted 2 sold around 138,500 units while Uncharted 3 sold 148,500.

That represents a marginal difference of 10,000 (7%) units despite the growth in PS3 user base; however it should also be highlighted that because Uncharted 3 launched on a Wednesday (11/11/02), it had an additional two days of sales over the two week sale period; Uncharted 2 launched on a Friday (09/10/16). On a per-day sales basis, Uncharted 3 is selling below Uncharted 2.

Hence, if Sony has shipped substantially more than Uncharted 2 then I suspect there is a strong probability that the game will be heavily discounted in coming weeks as retailers shift unsold stock.

For comparison MW3 sold a mind boggling 800,000 units on the PS3 in its first week at retail in the UK.
    You do realize that sequels don't always sell better than their predecessors, right?

Your data represents nothing. Market conditions change, people's tastes change. The series is coming to an end and they're running out of storyline. You can't expect future installments to do better than previous. There are games that do better but those are outliers and don't represent what generally is expected otherwise everything other than the MW series is a failure.

Uncharted 3 did not get crushed and that was what the point was. They can get extra sales if they did things right but those would be marginally better and certainly not worth over chopping two other titles and rushing a product before it's done.

Overall scheme of things, it's not worth the suggestions you gave.

Soldier 95B

Good post. Some interesting details there. Something I didn't bother to research. Bummer on the reduced sales, but bonus for me for playing such a great game!

DJDJ

It's odd why Sony gamers are not buying Uncharted games in their droves, i reckon if this was a 360 game it would of sold double those numbers in the UK.

Thread Information