Ultimate Veteran

Greater Choice for Wireless Access Point Owners from Google...

Quote Originally Posted by Google
    Greater choice for wireless access point owners

Were introducing a method that lets you opt out of having your wireless access point included in the Google Location Server. To opt out, visit your access points settings and change the wireless network name (or SSID) so that it ends with _nomap. For example, if your SSID is Network, youd need to change it to Network_nomap.
    Google Blog

I rather do this:

Quote Originally Posted by Darby Lines
    I think I'm going to change my WiFi router's SSID to "$#@! you Google you arrogant $#@!s" http://bit.ly/toBbOz
    @Angry_Drunk

Seriously, do they take crack at Google? Do humans work there?

Power Member
    I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that this.. Marks your physical location?

What does Google Location Server do?

Edit: Honestly I'm torn here. The idea is solid and fantastic imo.. It has alot of good that it can do for their various apps like Googlemaps (which almost everyone uses).

Obviously I'm a bit unnerved that by default my access point will be used in this manner, and that there has been a history of abuse with this technology before (albeit not intentionally on their part).

Although I still find your adamant hatred of Google and limitless love of Apple deeply disturbing.

To be frank, this isn't all that dissimilar from the overtly malicious actions performed by Zuckerberg and Facebook. They make no bones about the fact that they datamine everything there is to know about you and sell it off to other companies.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 11-15-2011 at 19:54.

Ultimate Veteran
    Yeah, they automatically collect information about your routers location to improve their own services without you ever knowing. http://maps.google.com/support/bin/a...answer=1725632

I have no issue with it in theory but it obviously should be opt-in and not opt-out. But, hey, maybe this can be spun to be "open" or something.

Thread Information