Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items User name styleE3PS3 Slim

PS3 turns 5, tell us your thoughts

Five years ago the PS3 was released in the U.S. We're putting together an article about our personal memories with the release and our favorite games so far. Join us and reply to this thread telling us about your history with the PS3, and list your top 5 favorite games.

Let's hear about your experiences with the PS3.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I got my PS3 in 2008 and Metal Gear Solid was my first game. I came to Austria with my PS3 with 6 games, 3 years later I have 67 retail games, 26 of which are PS3 exclusive titles. Sony have perfectly catered to my gaming needs, and additions like Move, Sharpshooter and 3D made the PS3 my 1 stop shop for gaming, just like the PS2 before it, and the PS before that. Picking my top 5 games is tough, but I think in the light of my appreciation for 3D, I would have to say...

Uncharted 3
    Batman: Arkham City
    Assassins Creed: Revelations

These games look FANTASTIC in 3D, I can't even play them in 2D anymore.

Are among my top 5 at the moment. Skyrim is on the way and I am pretty sure that this title will make it to my top 5 too. It's hard, there are so many awesome games that I want to add, Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 get honorable mentions, as does the amazing inFamous 2. Deus Ex was also awesome. Hmmm...Ok, for my last 2, I will go with...

Metal Gear Solid 4
    inFamous 2

inFamous MAY get replaced with Skyrim when it arrives.

ERC1980
    Got my ps3 at launch. still alive and ticking (like so many Sony products). so many brilliant games on this worthy successor to the ps2. no other gaming console can satisfy my gaming needs like the ps3. My first true experience playing online, getting to know other people from around the world (Ghost Rhayne for example)
    My top 5 games in no particular order

infamous 2
    Uncharted 2
    Uncharted 3
    MGS4
    Dead Space 2

and a majority of these AAA gaming experiences are found ONLY on ps3!

BrandonPS3
    PS3 slim has taken a beating but is no longer ticking.....

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Can't believe I've had mine 4 and a half years now. Time bloody flies

The games that define my PS3 experience would be COD4, Dead Space, MGS4, Demon's Souls & Uncharted 2

Superior Member
    The first and only time I ever camped out for anything was for a midnight screening was the launch of the Metal Gear Solid 4 80GB PS3 Bundle. I still remember the crisp, night air amidst the nerds (myself included) lined up outside the Best Buy and I tell you, it was damn well worth it. The first 3 PS3 games I played were Metal Gear Solid 4, Super Stardust HD, and Uncharted: DF. Talk about triple A quality gaming. Talk about a timesuck.

I've had a lot of memorable experiences playing Metal Gear Online. Yes, despite it's convoluted login system where you have to create a Konami account, despite the copious amount of lag, despite the glitches and bugs, MGO had so much to offer in terms of sheer level of entertainment and strategy. Plus it had hilarious taunts to scream and cardboard boxes to hide in. It also featured the ability to communicate text messages via keyboard in-game which I highly valued. Why can't other games offer text chat?

Top 5 PS3 Games are:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
    2. Uncharted 2
    3. Grand Theft Auto 4
    4. Super Stardust HD
    5. Mirror's Edge

I would potentially throw in Heavy Rain as a top 5 contender, but that game was pretty much ruined for me when an inadvertent read of a Joystiq comment revealed the killer for me halfway through the game. So I'm terribly biased.
    Uncharted 2 | COD MW2 | GTA IV | MGS4 | FFXIII | LBP | Killzone 2 | inFamous | wipEout HD Fury
    Fat Princess | echochrome | SSHD | SSFII | PixelJEden | Heavy Rain | TheLastGuy| Siren: BC | Lumines SN | more..

Ancient
    I can't really celebrate, til March 2012 as the PS3 didn't release in europe til then.
    don't seem that long thou

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    5 Years and so many original games. I don't think I could imagine a world without scratch resistant Blu-Rays, LittleBigPlanet or Motion controllers.

1, LittleBigPlanet 2
    2, MotorStorm: Apocalypse
    3, Uncharted 3
    4, Killzone 3
    5, WipEout HD: Fury

Apart from WipEout, every other game in my top 5 has released this year! Year of the PS3.
    Last edited by mickice; 11-18-2011 at 20:06.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

9. Likes Agriel likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I've had mine since April before the release of MGS4 (released in June of that year). Only really bought it because of MGS4 and haven't had too many good experiences with my PS3. I could count on a single hand how many times I enjoyed the PS3 to its fullest.

Fallout 3
    MGS4
    Uncharted 2

That's about it.

Sony could have done a lot better this generation. PS2 was amazing, had lots of good quality games and I spent hours on that machine. I actually went through three PS2's because the first 2 broke, but I didn't mind paying more because it was such an amazing system.

PS3. I could probably have lived without. If MGS4 had come to Xbox 360 I would never have owned a PS3.

I got mine in 2009 and still remember getting it and thinking what a waste of money I had just spent.

I got Resistance with the PS3 and was rather floored with how much fun I had with the game and system.

Loved it ever since.

Apprentice
    Got mine right when the Slim came out after just playing ps2 every once in a while for a few years. Good graphics, some good games got me back into playing console games I've been disappointed with the last few generations of sports games after playing lots of them as a kid. top 5 in no order: uncharted2, Little Big Planet, infamous, GT, borderlands
    Last edited by tbx59; 11-18-2011 at 22:10.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    mine died on its 5th birthday
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Forum Sage

Got mine at UK launch (March 23rd 2007 iirc) and paid an arm and a leg for it. I originally got it due to my PC dying and i didn't have the money to build a new one so I got a PS3 and i thoroughly enjoyed it. The generation has been winding down for me for a while now but overall i've been happy with it. If i had to choose the games I had most fun on my PS3 it'd have to be.

Rainbow 6 Vegas - That game online was fantastic. There aren't nearly enough tactical shooters this generation so this remains as one of the best ones.

MGS4 - Do i really need to say more? This game was epic from start to end.

Motorstorm - This game was one of my favourite launch titles. No game was like it when it came out and no game is like it now.

GT5:P - I don't care how small some people say this 'game' was, i loved it. I played the $#@! out of this game especially in the drift mode. That with my friends wheel was a blast whenever he brought it over. Really should buy myself one.

Pixel Junk: Monsters. This game was one of the greatest games i've ever played. Easy to get used to but hard to master. I'd love to play it all through again!

Still have my day one 60gig, still running like a dream.

I remember pre-ordering it from Amazon
    I remember the postman handing it to me and me signing for it
    I remember ripping it open and setting up my PSN account
    I remember playing Motorstorm... online for the first time
    I remember my first purchase from the Playstation store
    I remember seeing Heavenly Sward for the first time
    I remember the first firmware update............................................ ....yeah
    I remember waiting for Unreal Tournament III to be released............yeah
    I remember when we got trophy support
    I remember playing Uncharted 2 for the first time... WOW!
    I remember getting 666 trophies
    I remember playing Heavy Rain for the first time
    I remember when PSN got hacked
    I remember logging in after we got PSN back
    I remember playing Killzone 3 for the first time
    I remember seeing/playing Crysis 2 for the first time
    I remember seeing/playing Limbo for the first time...WOW
    And i remember when PS3 turned 5

Top 5 PS3 Games are:

1. Uncharted 2
    2. Mass Effect 2
    3. God of War 3
    4. Crysis 2
    5. Killzone 3

I would have said Bioshock as well
    Last edited by DarkFury-EX; 11-18-2011 at 22:47.

16. Likes Agriel likes this post
    ERC1980
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFury-EX View Post
    I remember getting 666 trophies
    LMAO

I'm not quite there yet!

Ultimate Veteran
    I started out with a 60GB PlayStation 3 before upgrading to a 120GB PlayStation 3 Slim. I mainly bought it to play MotorStorm and loved it ever since. Although the home console fell short on a lot of the promises Sony made i.e. 1080p gaming at a constant 60 frames per second and whatever Krazy Ken had to say at the time, it did end up spawning some great new IPs.

My top 5 favorite games for the PlayStation 3 (not all exclusives) include Portal 2, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and LittleBigPlanet 2.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-18-2011 at 23:23.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    I've had mine since April before the release of MGS4 (released in June of that year). Only really bought it because of MGS4 and haven't had too many good experiences with my PS3. I could count on a single hand how many times I enjoyed the PS3 to its fullest.

Fallout 3
    MGS4
    Uncharted 2

That's about it.

Sony could have done a lot better this generation. PS2 was amazing, had lots of good quality games and I spent hours on that machine. I actually went through three PS2's because the first 2 broke, but I didn't mind paying more because it was such an amazing system.

PS3. I could probably have lived without. If MGS4 had come to Xbox 360 I would never have owned a PS3.
    Don't take this the wrong way but I think you play consoles more than games. Otherwise, why would it matter to you which console you are playing the game you enjoy on?

It has to be preference...

I prefer the PS3 but even I've been able to enjoy the 360 when I've found games on it that fit my taste. (They need to be exclusive otherwise I would always go with the PS3 and I am not faulting Microsoft or the console itself.)

I usually choose the PS3 for multiplatform games because of my preference but I don't see how I wouldn't enjoy those games if I got them for the 360 instead.

...you just prefer the 360 over the PS3, sort of like me....you're faulting Sony but they really haven't done anything that different this generation over the last one (in terms of providing games -- I think they've done a better job with the PS3). Your preference just changed...
    Last edited by sainraja; 11-18-2011 at 23:25.

Ultimate Veteran
    I cant belive its 5 years all ready i rember going to game stop and picking up my pre-orderd 20 gig unit
    with cod 3 and fall of man its been a great 5 years i still have that launch unit and my slim.
    i also rember the ps3 launch was all over the news with shortages and stuff it was crazy

adierolfe
    My launch 60gb is still working as it should. All I've done is put a bigger HDD in.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    It has, and will continue to be, a fun ride.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Five years already?. I remember getting it back in early 2007 for $499.99 along with Resistance: Fall of Man. I still have both!.

Master Guru
    I bought my PS3 in the Summer of 2008 just in time for Metal Gear Solid 4 which still stands as my favorite game this generation. It was just time to get the PS3. I had a 360 and it's a great console and all but i had to have that PS3. Ever since then Sony has been delivering the best games. Blockbuster title after blockbuster title. It's crazy to think that the PS3 has already been out for 5 years. What a ride.

25. Likes Agriel likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    got mine 3-4 days after launch with Resistance, worked great till it died last month. Still was well worth the 700 euros I spent on it.

my top 5 games on ps3

5. InFamous
    4. Uncharted series
    3. MGS 4
    2. LBP series
    1. Demon/Dark Souls
    Last edited by Agriel; 11-19-2011 at 07:35.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    I was too busy shivering to talk to anyone else in the line at my local Gamestop. I was number 10 of 15 guaranteed a pre-order and I already had my order memorized: 60GB with Resistance: Fall of Man. On November 15, I received my first PS3 game. I smelled the newly printed manual and read it over until my eyes were sore. Everyone knows that section in the beginning of the manual with the system information that becomes useless after the first time you play a game. For me, this was the most tantalizing section of the manual. I would look at the diagram of the PlayStation 3 and up to the space I had reserved for it and back again trying to visualize owning my first launch unit. I remember being so excited to play I put the Blu ray into my dvd player and computer and wishing it would miraculously work.

Through five years I have dethroned corrupted leaders, saved my son's life, sold platinum, traversed galaxies, brought back color to a dark world, driven my dream car, united broken nations, survived the apocalypse, come in first by a photo finish, discovered lost cities, fought the system, even become a god.

Favorite Titles (in no order and subject to change)

1. Resistance series
    2. Gran Turismo 5
    3. LittleBigPlanet series
    4. Killzone 3
    5. Uncharted series

I still remember when this website wasn't PSU. I remember downloading a video of BTS warhawk footage from the old site and one where a Sony rep removed a prototype ps3 form a glass case in slo-mo with enya playing in the background :P
    Last edited by mini E; 11-19-2011 at 09:37.

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

28. Likes Nitey , Agriel likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Still have my 2 years old PS3 slim and its working fine.It doesnt crash that often and works pretty well.
    Today BF3 crashed for the first time but thats not a big deal.

Thread Information