Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Square-Enix Considering Making FFXV An Action-RPG

Square Enix is looking to refresh Final Fantasy following the mixed reaction given Final Fantasy XIIIand the outright failure of the MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, and they may be looking toward action RPGs.

Speaking with
    Edge, producer Yoshinori Kitase said the global market is moving away from turn-based systems and toward action-RPGs.

"That's a trend," Kitase said. "And you ignore things like that at your peril."
    Kitase also hinted that Final Fantasy XIII's more action-oriented elements are something to build upon.

"FFXIII and FFXIII-2's battle systems have those elements of speed and action that are the key words for us, though that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to stick to the same route in our next game," he said. "That's something only time can tell."

It wouldn't be a huge leap for the franchise to make. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is ostensibly an action RPG, and action-based sister series Kingdom Hearts has cultivated a substantial following of its own.

With
    Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII still to come, Final Fantasy XV might not be coming anytime soon. But whenever it does appear, it wouldn't be shocking to see a heavy emphasis on action.
    http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/...an-action-rpg/

Would you accept this change of direction?
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    FFvs13 will probably be my last FF game. The series is dead to me.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Hopefully not, they don't realise they are losing their fanbase because they have lost touch of what made their earlier games so special and this choice would be a huge mistake and a step further away from what they should be doing.

There is a reason why FFVII was their most popular Final Fantasy and I don't understand why they don't realise that.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Elite Sage
    They probably are watching if Versus is going to be successful. If so, then absolutely they will make FFXV Action RPG like Versus.
    I wonder if KH team will become the leading one then...?
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Ultimate Veteran
    I guess it's fine as long as the overall experience remains open-ended with many interesting places to explore. But at this point, I'm more interested in the writing than the actual gameplay mechanics. I don't want an over-abundance of melodrama in my Final Fantasy games like with Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Breaking News: Square decides that having almost half a decade full of really stupid ideas is simply not enough. They're going to up the ante by being even more completely brain dead than ever before!

Stay tuned as we watch them drive their company down into flames in real time!

Updated: According to some rumors circulating(by reliable industry insiders), FFXV will allegedly have the moniker "Flames of Hindenburg". Apparently an internal memo noted that this title was based around an airship that will feature in the game.

We only have one thing on our minds:

Last edited by Vulgotha; 11-18-2011 at 01:15.

Super Elite
    Obviously turn-based is dead. Hence why their last turn-base JRPG, Final Fantasy X, flopped. Give me a break! Square is killing turn-based on their own. Final Fantasy XIII is my last of the franchise.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Hopefully not, they don't realise they are losing their fanbase because they have lost touch of what made their earlier games so special and this choice would be a huge mistake and a step further away from what they should be doing.

There is a reason why FFVII was their most popular Final Fantasy and I don't understand why they don't realise that.
    These two paragraphs contradict each other. The difference between 6 and 7 was the biggest change Square has done with final fantasy. 7 was very different from the previous games.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    FFvs13 will probably be my last FF game. The series is dead to me.
    My thoughts exactly. Its made by the Kingdom Hearts team so I can forgive any action RPG-ness, but for a main numbered title I want my tradtional turn-based. I love those, its hard to see them dying :/

FFXIII was good, but I'd prefer if it was more turn-based.
    Last edited by Fenix; 11-18-2011 at 02:31.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Dedicated Member

Man please, FFXV would be way more exciting then a game we already know what happens. Please don't bring that tired FFVII kool-aid into this.

And for all you people saying your done with FF, then you can leave at your own peril. I think the purist of fans will always continue to play the game and still believe that the series can do great things, even if there not at their best right now. It's easy to ride with something when things are going great (FFVII-X) but when things turn bad/controversial (FFXI-XIV) you should have a little faith that things can turn around. Either you like the series or you don't.

Theres ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with wanting more action into future FF games, turn based will increasingly look worse as graphics get more sophistcated. Lost Odyssey has this problem. I think future FFs can be action oriented and offer some elements of turned based as well. Grandia III does this well (tho it's the ONLY thing that game does well.)

11. Likes The Black Wolf, Icc likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    I don't have a problem with that really. For me, Final Fantasy is all about the story, getting lost in a new world and it's culture. Final Fantasy is all about "living" in a fantasy, to me, at least. That being said, yes, I do like my turn based RPG's. I love my turn-based FF's even more. There's something about them that's very nostalgic. While it's not quite the same, my favorite Final Fantasy is FF Tactics, and while not the same kind of turn based system, it is still turn based. Point is, a lot of things can be done with turn based games. Still though, I love the kingdom Hearts games, so I know I have no problem with well made action RPG's. So long as the story stays mesmerizing, that's what counts really.

As I said though, I do like turn based games. Final Fantasy has traditionally been turn based, and I like it that way. While I think game developers over emphasize how much turn-based games are dying out, I don't believe it's going too far that they are falling out of the mainstream gamer's interests. As much as I want to see Square remain faithful to us devoted lifelong fans, our numbers are dwindling. Us fans of the old and nostalgic are becoming outnumbered by the new mainstream that wants as much button pressing as possible, even if it comes at the expense of extensive planning and strategy. Furthermore, many of the younger followers of the series (such as myself, 20 years old) are perfectly fine with action rpg's. Sure, it's harder to strategize with them, but that's just another challenge. In that aspect, mainstream gamers who just want to kill things get what they want, while more veteran gamers simply have to adapt and think about their strategies faster.

So, here's hoping that FFXV is turn based. If it's not though, I cannot blame Square in the slightest. Eitherway, I will stick with this series until the day it draws its last breath.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Veteran
    It is a shame that I haven't played a Final Fantasy game this generation.

I used to live off the old games.

SMH

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    Man please, FFXV would be way more exciting then a game we already know what happens. Please don't bring that tired FFVII kool-aid into this.

And for all you people saying your done with FF, then you can leave at your own peril. I think the purist of fans will always continue to play the game and still believe that the series can do great things, even if there not at their best right now. It's easy to ride with something when things are going great (FFVII-X) but when things turn bad/controversial (FFXI-XIV) you should have a little faith that things can turn around. Either you like the series or you don't.

Theres ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with wanting more action into future FF games, turn based will increasingly look worse as graphics get more sophistcated. Lost Odyssey has this problem. I think future FFs can be action oriented and offer some elements of turned based as well. Grandia III does this well (tho it's the ONLY thing that game does well.)
    This man speaks the truth. I for one cannot wait to see a 60-80+ hour long, decent Action RPG a la Kingdom Hearts but with all the FF lore, magic and style. Bring it on!

Oh, and +rep
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Master Poster

THANK YOU! I never understood this talk of trying to penetrate the western market when Square did a pretty good job of doing that during the PS1-PS2 days...they need to go back to making games that had that magical trait
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryAim View Post
    THANK YOU! I never understood this talk of trying to penetrate the western market when Square did a pretty good job of doing that during the PS1-PS2 days...they need to go back to making games that had that magical trait
    Yep. It worked in the past they just strayed so far away from that they completely lost their touch.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i'd like it over an active stupid turned based rpg. bring it old school. like the brilliance that was FFX

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    i'd like it over an active stupid turned based rpg. bring it old school. like the brilliance that was FFX
    Went back and played FFX and I'm so impressed with how well the battle system had aged. FFX (FFXIII to an extent) and the Persona games should be the direction turned based RPGs go from here. They should be fast, simple yet deep with the option to have SMART AI control your party members with the option to take full control over a battle.
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Oh how the mighty have fallen :/

Superior Member

I'm hoping that they put a lot more into the story telling and characterization. FFXSXIII seems to be doing this. Final Fantasy was always more about story and the world the game takes place in than the gameplay itself. While I hope they keep mixing things up from game to game, having one be a turn based, then the next action, and HOPEFULLY ANOTHER TACTICS (MFER"S, I would pay $70 today for a spiritual successor to FF Tactics, not that advanced garbage they churned out).

For all I know at this point vsXIII might be so good that I would more of those style, and certainly no more FFXIII style (God of War with turn based battles).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    With time, comes change. Square is changing. You either run from the changes or you either embrace the changes. I think Square is still a quality company. I saw nothing wrong with Final Fantasy XIII and do not understand why FF fans hate it or say it's not worthy of the FF name. I am excited for Final Fantasy XIII-2, very excited.

I do not mind at all if FF15 ends up being more action orientated. I do hope they keep turn based elements, but I don't mind if they don't. I agree with Versus, and have faith in Square.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Superior Member

Considering that Tales of has been kicking ass and taking names, I don't think SquEnix is too far off on their assessment. As long as the games maintain the feel of a Final Fantasy tittle, it would be okay.

While I personally think that main entry Final Fantasy tittles should remain turn-based in some form or fashion (variations on the ATB system we know and love) I wouldn't mind them producing a series of Versus tittles with an Action RPG system in place.

As long as we have a party of interesting characters, leves/character advancement systems, tons of items and weapons to find, plenty of places to explore and ridiculously melodramatic dialogue, it should still be okay.
    Shinei!

Dedicated Member
    I think alot of people on here are overreacting. FF doesn't need to just be purely turned based. They can do some sort of action hybrid. Go play Grandia III, that came has that system and it kicks ALOT of ass.

Other wise FF is going to turn out looking like Lost Odyssey, trying to be photo-realistic yet looking silly with people standing still and taking turns. The main thing that needs to return is exploration and I agree on the better story telling. THAT is key.

SE get RID of the Hope/Vanille types.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I think this is fine. In fact, I feel Versus should be the future direction of the series, based on everything I've seen and read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I saw nothing wrong with Final Fantasy XIII and do not understand why FF fans hate it or say it's not worthy of the FF name.
    Cheesy writing, poor pacing, and no variety.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Hell yes! Action rpgs are my personal favorites.

Thread Information