Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Devas

Can I make an old fat PS3 work without the BluRay drive?

Okay, bought a PS3 off of craigslist for $40.

They told me I could use it for PSN games only, which is all I want it for and I understand I won't be able to play any game discs in it.

It's an old 20 GB PS3, I had them power it on and show me it works before buying it. I saw the XMB come up so figured it was worth the $40 to put in the bedroom and let the kids play PSN games on it as I have purchased about 50 of the PSN games since the PS3 launch five years ago.

So anyhow, I get it home, and set up my wireless internet to it and hook it up to my bedroom TV via an HDMI cable. All is good so far. But then it tells me It needs to update to firmware 3.73 or whatever, so I proceed to let it.

It gets to about 80% complete on the system update install and gives me an ERROR: 8002f14e and restart to attempt the update install again. 4 tries, no luck.

I plug in this error into google and find out that this error is probably because this PS3 doesn't have a wire or Bluray drive even inside of it.

My question is.. Is there a way to bypass this and make this PS3 work for PSN downloaded games only? Did I just waste $40? Surely there is something I can do to make it work to play downloaded games from the store only??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Superior Member
    Have you tried installing the update from a removable storage media i.e. external hdd?

Is it getting 80% through the download or the install? If its the latter I dont think my suggestion will make any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devas
    Yeah, it's on the install part of the system update that it fails with the same error every time. That thought crossed my mind as well, but since it's the install potion of the system update failing, I assume that won't make any difference.

Apprentice
    Sadly, I dont think so. Well, you could but you would need the get a PS3 BR drive just for the updates and that defeats the purpose.
    I say this because most of the updates that merely say "improves quality of games" for the reason actually update the BR drive firmware. Your update is working until it gets to this point and then realizes that it doesnt have a drive to update the firmware for.

The only thing I can suggest is you looking to find a place that would have such a thing and merely asking them if you could plug one in just for the update. Even if they charge you a few bucks, some places will. Really depends on how big of a town you live in and if you have electronics repair places and such.

Lastly, do me a favor and see what PS3 FW you have and then PM me with it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I thought the 20gb model did not have wifi? Anyways, what firmware does it have on it right now? And if the console is letting you play PSN games then that means the logic board on the BD drive is still working and your problem is a dead laser.

Devas
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I thought the 20gb model did not have wifi? Anyways, what firmware does it have on it right now? And if the console is letting you play PSN games then that means the logic board on the BD drive is still working and your problem is a dead laser.
    I don't know about the 20 gb not having wifi. All I know is when I hooked it up, I checked the system info and it said 18 GB free or something. Nothing (no games) were on it. So I was able to use the network settings to auto detect my wireless router and connect it with success. As soon as I did that, it told me that I needed to update to firmware 3.73.. so I went to system update and proceeded update via internet. I believe it said it WAS at 2.01. (not 100% sure on that).

But now, the PS3 is stuck anyhow. When it turn it on, it immediately tries to reinstall the update it downloaded and gets to about 76% before the error code I mentioned in my OP. I can't hit circle to back out of it attempting the update. I'm assuming I'd need to take the hard drive out and format it to reset it.

But here is what I am wondering... If I can get the system update on it just to download games from the PS store I'll need a bigger hard drive anyhow. I have a good 160 GB laptop hard drive available I can use. I'm wondering if there is anyway I can set up the 160 GB hard drive with firmware 3.73 already installed from my PC somehow. I dunno.

Anyhow right now my PS3 is stuck trying to install the firmware and getting an error then demanding a reboot, rinse and repeat over and over so I have no way of knowing what the firmware was at before I tried to update to 3.73

Again, there is NO BLU-RAY player even inside the PS3. It's not even physically there.

Thanks for the help/suggestions so far.

Forum Overseer
    You know, it might be due to the lack of BR drive.

If you're stuck at that spot, the best way would be to just format your HDD and remove everything off it. It might reset the process and install the update again.

Though, I can't be sure because maybe it stores the updates in its flash memory which is built-in and that would be a huge problem.

Either way, if nothing works, maybe you can try to put in a used BD. I'm sure you can find them cheap off Ebay.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    The BD drive is physically missing? Then none of the games should have worked on the console. The update will not finish because you must have the BD drive in the console to complete the update. The update has to right to the logic board to finish. Now you have another problem. You can not just put any BD drive in the console. You have to marry them together.

Superior Member

I had the same problem and wanted to cry .......but i saw you could jailbreak it ...but you wont have online play?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by arif View Post
    I had the same problem and wanted to cry .......but i saw you could jailbreak it ...but you wont have online play?
    He can jailbreak it once he gets a bd drive put in. I think there is a cfw that bypasses the missing bd drive but it is not as stable.

Devas
    Okay, NEW DEVELOPMENT -

My son just produced two missing parts out of his coat pocket that I didn't even know he had or that came with this PS3.

He gave me a circuit card about 3" by 5" in diameter as well as a ribbon cord. Obviously this is a circuit card from the blu-ray player I would guess. I see where the ribbon cord connects to on both the PS3 and the card. The card as a snap open and closed ribbon holder so I "put contact to contact" from one end of the ribbon to this circuit card and snapped it closed. The other end of the ribbon cord is the problem as I see where it connects to the PS3 main circuit board, but there is no snap closed connector here and it is VERY loose with nothing to keep it in place. I used a piece of tape here and then connected a little white connector from the side of the blu-ray circuit card to the PS3. I was hopeful that perhaps this would let the system update install. Unfortunately I tried twice with the exact same error in exactly the same spot. The second try I held the ribbon down with good pressure where it fits loose during the whole install process, but no luck.

I dunno. It sure looks like a circuit card from the blu-ray player, but with everything connected as it looks like it should be, still no dice.

I did notice there is a smaller ribbon connector right next the ribbon connector I have connected on the blu-ray circuit card that is sitting empty.

{shrugs}

Any more ideas? Sorry for the vague explanation. I don't know the technical names of everything, just using what common sense I have here.

Thanks for any help all.

Devas
    Double Post, Sorry.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I suggest you buy and install a Blu ray drive.

Forum Overseer
    omg that might be it dude. could you post a pic? we can confirm if it is in fact the thing you need to install the BD.

Devas
    Here's a photo labeled with what I was talking about in my previous post above...

Thanks and good idea Sufi

SDC10888.jpg

Devas
    Here's a photo labeled with what I was talking about in my previous post above...

Thanks and good idea Sufi

SDC10888.jpg

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I do believe thats the board from the bluray drive - If I recall right when I had to take mine apart to get a disc out.

Though wait till one of the smarter folks responds

Though with the connector piece on the motherboard being broken, is it even possible to make that tight enough by hand? O>o
    Last edited by Fenix; 11-21-2011 at 02:37.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Devas
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I suggest you buy and install a Blu ray drive.
    That sounds good... However while I haven't spent much time researching PS3 BluRay prices, I did do a quick search and got a price of about $90 USD for a new PS3 BluRay player compatible with this PS3 model. That would put my total investment to about $130 USD for a 5 year old PS3 with no controller or anything else. Comparatively, I could go buy a 160GB brand new slim model which would include a controller and games for only $199 USD. So that wouldn't be a good "value" in my books.

However, if I can get this thing working just good enough for PSN games and no blu-ray player for my $40 investment, that WOULD be a good value for me as I already have about 40 or 50 PSN games I have paid for that I can simply download on this 2nd PS3 for free.

If I can't get this thing working as intended then I might just ebay it as a parts system and label it "as is" to try and recover part or even all of my $40 investment.

Forum Overseer
    Hmm, I can't say for sure...I thought mine was a lot smaller (the board I mean). But let's wait for more confirmations.

Apprentice
    Again, as I said, you need the BR drive to update because the update literally updates the FW OF the BR drive. Without it, it obviously cant finish whether you have the ribbon or not. Its the drive you need.

Again, even if its a broken one with a bad laser, it just needs to access the FW on the drive's motherboard. It wont care if it can play or read disks, it just wants to update the drives firmware as well as the PS3 system firmware.

SO:

1. Buy a cheap one off the net or craigslist that is missing the laser or whatever. As long as it isnt 100% fried, working or not it will finish your update when connected.

2. As I said above, if you have an electronics repair shop anywhere near you, merely take it there and ask if you can hook one up just to update it.

if not, you lost 40 bucks. Might as well try to sell it to get it back, spend another 20-40 for the broken drive orfind someone to let you use one for free or a small fee just for the update because without doing any of those you have a PS3 paperweight.

PS....that looks too big to be a BR drive MoBo. However, if that is what it is and you tried it and still failed, the Mobo is fried.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    This is the same board apparently the firmware chip is on this board.
    I still suggest you buy a new drive they are around 40-50 in the UK.
    You will need to marry up the new drie to the existing PCB board which I expect is what the original owner was going to do but never got around to doing it.

Devas
    Okay so that's obvious it is the board, but it still wont update.. I've tried 3 times holding the loose connection tight throughout the process.

I watched a youtube video where this blu-ray board needs to have two other ribbon cords connected to it beyond what I have here. I don't know if it's the lack of those connections causing the update error, or if this is a bad board, or maybe it's not the original blu-ray board and it needs to be "married" somehow to this PS3.

I really don't like the idea of spending more money on a good or bad blu-ray drive because it still may not work.. I don't know.

...Still open to suggestions of things to try, obviously in the cheapest and easiest resolutions taking priority.

Thanks to all of you who have offered input and suggestions!

Superior Member

you'd be best taking this to assemblergames.com ... there are plenty of peeps on there with serious technical knowledge!

I'm a hater, a traito.
    Is there any reason you can't put the BDD from your current playstation into this one for the update then put it back?

Devas
    Quote Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
    Is there any reason you can't put the BDD from your current playstation into this one for the update then put it back?
    That's certainly a good idea irish...

But I have a slim model PS3. Would it even work? I watched a youtube video on changing out a PS3 blu-ray player and how you need to put the original blu-ray circuit board in the new bluray player. I could do that but the blu-ray players may be completely different since this old PS3 I got is a backwards compatible fat PS3 and my other PS3 is non backwards compatible new slim model.

Also my good slim PS3 is under warranty for another 2 years with an extended warranty. I'm sure breaking the seals would void that extended warranty that I've paid $45 for.

Thread Information