Latest PSU headlines:

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Gentlemen I need help: PS3 DS3--> 360

I'll be up front about this. Despite popular sentiment and the critical acclaim surrounding the 360 controller I think that it is garbage. This has everything to do with having gone through 4 controllers so far, and little to do with anything else.

Still, I've obviously been using them for years. It's just that now as my latest one is wearing itself out.. I find myself wondering why I put up with the inferior design quality. I have bought offbrand controllers (Madcatz, Razer Onza Tournie) only for them to come with a litany of problems of their own.

My Onza's right analog stick wore out after only 5 months of use.

The madcatz is by far my favorite thus far (irony?) but the 'A' button is just about to fall off and whenever I plug in a headset a horrible screeching\static sound bombards my friends.

Dualshock 3 has always been my favorite pad. It is quality from A to Z. Sturdy, higher quality of build, and I prefer its layout vs. 360 ergonomics.

So are there legitimate now-standing ways of using a Dualshock 3 on the 360? Will these products work:

http://www.amazon.com/PS2-PS3-xBox360-Controller-converter/sim/B0013UQ4KG/2

If you guys know of any good way of doing this that won't involve hard modding (tearing open controllers) or breaking my bank, please let me know.

Friendship is Carrots
    Vulgy, I'm curious: How do you go through 360 controllers so quickly? I've been using the same controller since Christmas of '06 and it's still rock solid.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

PSU Technical Advisor
    They just die. No longer connect to the Xbox unit (any of the 3 xbox's I've had.. I still have that busted controller up in my closet and i've tested it on each successive unit), the joysticks will wear out. But mostly they'll just inexplicably die.

Just like the 360 wireless headset that cost oodles (that died on me in under a year). Just would no longer turn on anymore after only moderate use.

Just like the 360 wireless pads (receivers) you plug into your PC (that died on me just over a year).

Just like how the 360's like to continually die on you (I've gone through 3).

For me, this is par for the course. To say that I'm less than enthused with whatever braintrusts pass for engineers over at Microsoft is a grave understatement.

I'm not knocking XBL, I'm not knocking the games or exclusives on 360. But I'm just stating the obvious that the hardware sucks and it has a long and sordid history of doing so. It isn't even tied to the Xbox brand itself necessarily- the original Xbox and its "S" style controllers were the bomb. Loved them. They felt sturdy and nice in your hands.. Never had an issue with those or the unit itself.

It's just with the advent of this present generation.

Say whatever you will about Sony, their software security measures, their exclusives or w\e. Their stuff works, its well engineered and reliable.

I didn't have a SINGLE issue with my PS3 for all the years I owned it. Not one. Nor with any of the controllers (3) that I had for it.

I liked them so much that I now miss them terribly. Ergo I want to use the DS3 on the 360. I'm done with this.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 11-20-2011 at 06:20.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    If anecdotal makes something obvious, then the engineers over at Microsoft did an excellent job as I've been rocking the same controllers since mid 2007.

As far as your link is concerned, it doesn't state anything about a DS3... only a PS2 controller.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If anecdotal makes something obvious, then the engineers over at Microsoft did an excellent job as I've been rocking the same controllers since mid 2007.

As far as your link is concerned, it doesn't state anything about a DS3... only a PS2 controller.
    I'd hardly call the 360 failure rate 'anecdotal'. In fact even implying that would be the case is flat out deceitful. Nobody can whitewash that history, and it's been discussed to death already.

Whether or not other individuals have had similar experiences mirroring my own with the accessories is, frankly, unimportant to me- and irrelevant to the thread. I know what's happened to me and I'm tired of shelling out cash for it.

I merely included all of the above to 'cover' my bases. To explain that I'm not hating on the Xbox because its the Xbox, because Microsoft made it. That I'm a "Sony lover"- just that I have valid reasons for making this unusual thread.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Can't say if it works or not but this site claims with the use of the XCM Cross Fire you can use a Dual Shock 3.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6884421_do-d...xbox-360_.html

I'd be keen on this myself as my brothers only have limited 360 controllers. My DS3 would come in handy.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I'd hardly call the 360 failure rate 'anecdotal'. In fact even implying that would be the case is flat out deceitful. Nobody can whitewash that history, and it's been discussed to death already.

Whether or not other individuals have had similar experiences mirroring my own with the accessories is, frankly, unimportant to me- and irrelevant to the thread. I know what's happened to me and I'm tired of shelling out cash for it.

I merely included all of the above to 'cover' my bases. To explain that I'm not hating on the Xbox because its the Xbox, because Microsoft made it. That I'm a "Sony lover"- just that I have valid reasons for making this unusual thread.
    I'm specifically talking about he controllers... just because you've had bad experiences with them doesn't make the product bad... you posted it, so it's relevant enough to be commented on by others.

Anyways... Are you extremely rough with the 360 controllers, or are they just simply dying for no apparent reason? Maybe you live in the Bermuda Triangle for 360 controllers lol. It's happened before; I know a friend that his iPod Touch won't work at his house.... seriously, but works once you walk outside. Go figure.

Forum Sage

Only fault i've had with the 360 pad is when i broke the B button the day MW2 came out because i threw the controller into the ground. Other than that it's still working and has been for the last 4 years

Was going to recommend the Razer Onza but you've tried that it seems.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Can't say if it works or not but this site claims with the use of the XCM Cross Fire you can use a Dual Shock 3.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6884421_do-d...xbox-360_.html

I'd be keen on this myself as my brothers only have limited 360 controllers. My DS3 would come in handy.
    Wouldnt see why it wouldnt work, even though it says "use Xbox 360 controller on the PS3" on there site.

Only bad part is its $39.99, at least on amazon.com for rumble version, and it'll turn the controller into a wired one.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    DualShock is my favourite controller (because I've been using it since they first released but also because they are designed to work with pretty much any game), but I have to say they are easily broken, if you drop it chances are you'll get a lose screw inside that rattles which has happened to about 3 of my controllers since PS1 (although my PS1 DS is perfectly fine even now).
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'm specifically talking about he controllers... just because you've had bad experiences with them doesn't make the product bad... you posted it, so it's relevant enough to be commented on by others.

Anyways... Are you extremely rough with the 360 controllers, or are they just simply dying for no apparent reason? Maybe you live in the Bermuda Triangle for 360 controllers lol. It's happened before; I know a friend that his iPod Touch won't work at his house.... seriously, but works once you walk outside. Go figure.
    I think the products are bad lol. My frame of reference being the prior Xbox 'S' controllers and the Sony Dualshock3's. All things are relative but I feel that, compared to those, it is of inferior quality.

I also didn't mean to imply in my post that others have all had my experiences with the accessories- I was mainly referring to Microsoft's track record with their console units and then applying my experiences with accessories into the mix- thus concluding, overall, the quality is poor.

Again, this is just my opinion.. And its my defense for making this thread. I've shelled out hundreds of dollars and I won't do it anymore. So this is me 'raging' and seeking unorthodox alternatives to my problem rofl.

And no, I'm not rough on my controllers lol. Out of all my friends I'm like the one guy (apart from Dealphamale) who doesn't nerd rage and throw them across the room. I use them like a normal sane person and they just 'die' on me.

Razer, Microsoft- all true.

Strangely not the case for Madcatz. Apart from the 'a' button getting wobbly the controller functions perfectly and has managed to please me for some 2 years now. Only issue is when I try to use a headset the horrible screeching sounds that cause premature deafness in my friends.

It's unfair imo. I treat my stuff right and I'm the guy who has his crap just die on him. As if the gaming gods spurn me.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 11-20-2011 at 17:46.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Very odd, I've not had any controllers stop working. Mine are used a LOT, dropped at least once a day; usually more lol. If you've had that much bad luck with them, I don't blame you for trying to find a substitute.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Hundreds of dollars man. Ugh.

Soldier 95B
    I have had the same two white controllers since 2005, and only replaced the rechargeable battery once. Solid as a rock. Same goes for my original Xbox 360 Wireless Headset. Got it release day, and has been rockin' ever since no issues. Actual Xbox 360 console on the other hand, went through way too many of those, lol. Granted, I rarely use those controllers now unless we have company. I have since bought an Elite and have black controllers, as well as a Gears 3 and the Silver Xbox 360 transforming D-Pad controllers.

My DS3 feels much more poorly constructed than my 360 controller though. But I haven't had any issues with my DS3 either. However, because I personally think the DS3 sucks donkey, I bought the Pro-Elite controller for my PS3 and love it! Not quite the quality feel as the DS3/360 controllers, but it is solid and costs half the price.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 11-21-2011 at 18:27.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Alright, but how does that help me in my endeavor lol?

Soldier 95B
    Ah crap, sorry. I missed the entire point...getting the DS3 on the 360 I have never heard of that. Reading your link is the first time I have seen something like that.

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Xbox360-Controller-Adapter-Xbox-360/dp/B0042SB2I0/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

S
    ome of the reviews by users there are pretty good. Some notable complaints though. Though it's not wireless

PSU Technical Advisor
    I realize that I'm probably the minority on this issue.. But I'm just sick to death it! So yea, any news is welcome.

This could be a nexus thread for others who seek similar goals. There is a new MLG controller coming out that is 360 form which can have 4 modules inserted in any order the user wishes.. Each module contains a chunk of the DS3 or 360 controller. So you can have a ton of different combinations.

I'm looking into it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/23/m...pable-thumbst/

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I realize that I'm probably the minority on this issue.. But I'm just sick to death it! So yea, any news is welcome.

This could be a nexus thread for others who seek similar goals. There is a new MLG controller coming out that is 360 form which can have 4 modules inserted in any order the user wishes.. Each module contains a chunk of the DS3 or 360 controller. So you can have a ton of different combinations.

I'm looking into it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/23/m...pable-thumbst/
    Wow. That's pretty sweet looking - I'd be interested in that..probably until I see the price-tag

Thread Information