Page 1 of 9 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru

PS3's Move Closing The Sales Gap with Kinect

Microsoft has done a fantastic job marketing and selling Kinect, which stormed out the gate a year ago while Sony's PlayStation Move has been slow and steady. They've been on very different sales curves, but the hype has been so great for Kinect that you might not realize Move is only about a million units behind Kinect in sales and would appear to be closing the gap.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/p...p-with-kinect/

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Pretty impressive. I don't think it'll be long before Move surpasses Kinect. To me Kinect was all hype with very little substance game wise to pull it off. Apart from Dance Central there isn't much else to use it for.

Move on the other had has been implemented into a few game series right now with some good results and full move games also preforming pretty well too.

Kinect to me feels like something optional. Fun but optional.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    lol just like everything sony! slow but steady

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Pretty impressive. I don't think it'll be long before Move surpasses Kinect. To me Kinect was all hype with very little substance game wise to pull it off. Apart from Dance Central there isn't much else to use it for.

Move on the other had has been implemented into a few game series right now with some good results and full move games also preforming pretty well too.

Kinect to me feels like something optional. Fun but optional.
    Move kicks ass. Despite whether a gamer likes or dislikes it, it is an accurate, functioning motion control that has been successfully implemented into MANY core franchises; Heavy Rain, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, SOCOM 4, inFamous 2, LBP 2 etc. The fact that Ken Levine accepted Move says something too imo. It's inclusion in Bioshock Infinite along with 3D is going to be a very interesting experience. Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford likes it too,
    "Iím a big fan of anything Insomniac, but Resistance 3 motivated me to get the PlayStation Move set up with the sharp shooter controller, and itís a great way to play this great game," Pitchford said. "Itís always difficult to be able to rationalize custom development effort for sub-sets of customers on a platform, but the experience I had with Resistance 3 and the sharp shooter makes me want to see something special done with that interface in our games". - Source
    And what's Randy working on? Aliens: Colonial Marines, Borderlands 2, Brother in Arms: Furious 4...Some people here have tried the Move (and some with the Sharpshooter) and couldn't get their head around it. The truth is it Move and SS sucks ass IF you don't take time to get used to and tweak the dead zone, sensitivity and other settings. If you can, then you get a really fun, unique and immersive experience which imho offers a much more accurate and easy way of of playing FPS games in particular. Pulling a trigger to fire is also just awesome for me, i love it. Anyway, those who CAN get their head around the controls have already enjoyed the a fore mentioned KZ3, R3 & SOCOM 4, but will also be able to use them on Dust 514, Counter Strike: GO and of course Bioshock Infinite. People piss all over Move and say that it's $#@! and isn't being well supported but it's bull$#@!. Kinect may have shot ahead in sales but devs don't know what to do with it. 3rd party are all scratching their heads wondering how to create buttonless inputs into games that have used button inputs for decades and it's usage is unfortunately restricted because of this.
    Last edited by Ghost; 11-23-2011 at 23:47.

ERC1980
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Move kicks ass. Despite whether a gamer likes or dislikes it, it is an accurate, functioning motion control that has been successfully implemented into MANY core franchises; Heavy Rain, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, SOCOM 4, inFamous 2, LBP 2 etc. The fact that Ken Levine accepted Move says something too imo. It's inclusion in Bioshock Infinite along with 3D is going to be a very interesting experience. Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford likes it too,

And what's Randy working on? Aliens: Colonial Marines, Borderlands 2, Brother in Arms: Furious 4...Some people here have tried the Move (and some with the Sharpshooter) and couldn't get their head around it. The truth is it Move and SS sucks ass IF you don't take time to get used to and tweak the dead zone, sensitivity and other settings. If you can, then you get a really fun, unique and immersive experience which imho offers a much more accurate and easy way of of playing FPS games in particular. Pulling a trigger to fire is also just awesome for me, i love it. Anyway, those who CAN get their head around the controls have already enjoyed the a fore mentioned KZ3, R3 & SOCOM 4, but will also be able to use them on Dust 514, Counter Strike: GO and of course Bioshock Infinite. People piss all over Move and say that it's $#@! and isn't being well supported but it's bull$#@!. Kinect may have shot ahead in sales but devs don't know what to do with it. 3rd party are all scratching their heads wondering how to create buttonless inputs into games that have used button inputs for decades and it's usage is unfortunately restricted because of this.
    Amen to all this post.

someone here who can separate fact from fiction.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I think a lot of the difference is going to be you only need one kinect unit for multiple people to play, and you have to use multiple Move controllers for multiple people. That could be a huge advantage in sales numbers for Sony.

I had to buy one kinect for my kids to play games together with it, but I had to buy two Move controllers for them to do the same on the PS3.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I think a lot of the difference is going to be you only need one kinect unit for multiple people to play, and you have to use multiple Move controllers for multiple people. That could be a huge advantage in sales numbers for Sony.
    That's true. Plus we haven't heard any concrete numbers from both about sales in a while. Closing the gap could mean a little or a lot.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post

I had to buy one kinect for my kids to play games together with it, but I had to buy two Move controllers for them to do the same on the PS3.
    This is the truth. In my job I sell a LOT more Kinect units than I do Move. Why? Because people don't want to have to buy 2 controllers, 2 nunchucks, 2 guns etc. The initial investment - although more costly - is just easier for the general consumer to get their head around.

Also with Move sales numbers, I'm curious as to HOW they calculate it all, since its all pretty much sold in bits and pieces

Superior Member

Any move bundles for black friday?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    At this point its a success and now I want my Sorcery, Sony.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Ultimate Veteran
    I'd rather buy the whole Move kit than be limited to just a camera.

I would say alot of these sales are coming from move bundles that are packed in with PS3's, It's also the only motion controller that works with a 3D display.
    Last edited by mickice; 11-24-2011 at 14:16.

Elite Member
    This whole thing reminds me of the tale of The Tortoise and the Hare.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie View Post
    This whole thing reminds me of the tale of The Tortoise and the Hare.
    This entire generation has been like that, consumers have been told to second guess SONY and because of that their true potential hasn't been immediately realized.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    At the end of the day it is the best motion device because it is the most accurate. I don't get people's hype for Kinect, its as if they can't remember the Eyetoy.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    At the end of the day it is the best motion device because it is the most accurate. I don't get people's hype for Kinect, its as if they can't remember the Eyetoy.

MS have put up SO MUCH advertising at the Stephansplatz underground station here in Vienna for 360 and kinect. As if that wasn't enough, they had 360s set up and people were playing dancing games lol. On the monitors they were playing 360 and kinect adverts, right on the center of the city, crazy. Anyway, 360 had massive advertising and hype, sold 10 million in 2 months and then sold 2 million over the next 10.

ERC1980
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    a glorified eyetoy TBH

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Guys I've never heard of this "EyeToy" you speak of...

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Ultimate Veteran
    MS have put up SO MUCH advertising at the Stephansplatz underground station here in Vienna for 360 and kinect. As if that wasn't enough, they had 360s set up and people were playing dancing games lol. On the monitors they were playing 360 and kinect adverts, right on the center of the city, crazy. Anyway, 360 had massive advertising and hype, sold 10 million in 2 months and then sold 2 million over the next 10.
    They have a set up right now in the shopping complex I work in. I gave Kinect Fitness a go, It was alright but everything was hit and miss, especially the leg kicking. The other game I tried was Kinect Disneyland, this one worked a little better but consisted of really shallow gameplay.

One thing I will give Microsoft points for is marketing.

- Disney
    - Sesame Street
    - Star Wars

All on Kinect, I can only imagine how much that cost them to license.
    Last edited by mickice; 11-24-2011 at 19:53.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    ROFL.

Seriously WTF?

Kinect quickly reached 8 million sold in 60 days and then hit the 10 million mark, but that was back in March. Meanwhile, Sony's Move has been selling at a slightly steadier clip and has recently reached the 9 million mark
    Epic Mutha $#@!ing fail there.

Who compares March numbers with November numbers?

We have no idea how they are selling.

For all we know Kinect has sold 14 million.

Seriously who wrote this article a $#@!ing child?

And ONQ, I thought you would know better that to take a little snippit of bul$#@! like that and post it as the whole article.

We have no idea how well or what is going on.

Who says that?
    So MS hasnt sold any Kinect since March 9th 2011 huh?
    Last edited by mynd; 11-24-2011 at 21:47.

20. Likes F34R likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

Who says that?
    Typo, I meant 8 million in first 2 months, then 2 million in the following 10.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Typo, I meant 8 million in first 2 months, then 2 million in the following 10.
    And youd still be wrong.

Microsoft announced 10 million sold on March 9th.
    They sold another 2 million in 2 months.
    Not 10.
    Which is why the article is a load of $#@!.

23. Likes F34R likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    And youd still be wrong.

Microsoft announced 10 million sold on March 9th.
    They sold another 2 million in 2 months.
    Not 10.
    Which is why the article is a load of $#@!.
    Sorry, it's you who are wrong. Unless copious amounts of websites have their figures wrong. Kinect exploded for 2 months then fizzled right down.
    Last edited by Ghost; 11-24-2011 at 22:26.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Sorry, it's you who are wrong. Unless copious amounts of websites have their figures wrong. Kinect exploded for 2 months then fizzled right down.
    <sighs> I knew I should have provided a link.

You are correct they announced 8 million in January.
    They also announced 10 million in March.

Your link -Jan 5th - 8 million sold in 2 months

My link March 9th - 10 million sold.

Thats another 2 million in 2 months.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/m...-kinect-games/

So you guys are all saying they sold nothing in the last 8 months.

Again article=epic fail.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-24-2011 at 23:10.

26. Likes F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I wonder how they are getting the Move numbers...

1 move controller sold = move sold
    1 nav controller sold = move sold?

and so forth...

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    i'm saying this as an obvious sony fanboy, the kinect is way better than the move. In my opinion, the kinect sold on its merit, the move sold as a cheaper alternative.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Thread Information