Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I wonder how they are getting the Move numbers...

1 move controller sold = move sold
    1 nav controller sold = move sold?

and so forth...
    Its all utterly pointless guess work.

Sony hasnt even announced 9 million either for that matter.
    The article is referencing 8.8 million Sony announced in Jun.

But you are right, Sony like playing th enumbers games, just like their "PSN" accounts.

Given 10 million Kinetcs in March, and 8.8 million moves in Jun, its likely the real gap for motion enabled consoles is about 2:1.
    With MS having at least 10 milllion, and Sony around 5 milllion.

Of course software does the talking and there are 88 kinect games.

72 of which are Kinect only.

28 Move only games.

Now I will point out that out of that 78, probably 77 of them are dance games

I kid. But not by much.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    i'm saying this as an obvious sony fanboy, the kinect is way better than the move. In my opinion, the kinect sold on its merit, the move sold as a cheaper alternative.
    What merit? Everything leading up to Kinect was faked and even once released only has a few select titles.

Move has been the run away success popping up in old and new games. Move has seen twice the developer support. Now thats merit.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    What merit? Everything leading up to Kinect was faked and even once released only has a few select titles.

Move has been the run away success popping up in old and new games. Move has seen twice the developer support. Now thats merit.
    ROFL. That's a good one.

Elite Member

Kinect is going beyond gaming. There are tons of internet news stories about the various non-gaming Kinect mods. This is interesting as well.

http://gizmodo.com/5862576/microsoft-wants-to-turn-crazy+ass-kinect-hacks-into-businesses

Microsoft Wants To Turn Crazy-Ass Kinect Hacks Into Businesses

Since its launch, the Kinect has been hacked in hundreds of amazing and crazy ways. Now, Microsoft is planning to embrace that by helping Kinect-based start-ups realize their potential.

Called "Kinect Accelerator", the initiative will see Microsoft fund and nurture 10 aspiring groups of engineers and entrepreneurs, and give them the chance to turn their ideas into reality. For Microsoft, this seems like a fairly pain-free way of discovering the most creative Kinect talent out there.

No doubt there's going to be huge competition for the 10 finalist slots. While the application procedure doesn't sound too taxing, questions like "Please describe your business in 140 characters or less" and "Explain how the company will make money" will certainly set the bedroom coders from the serious entrepreneurs. For the 10 that make, it Microsoft will provide a three-month incubation program in the spring of 2012. Microsoft say this will mean:

"Every company participating in the Kinect Accelerator will receive an investment of $20,000, an Xbox development kit, the Windows Kinect SDK, office space... and mentorship from entrepreneurs, investors and Microsoft executives intensely focused on making their business a success. At the end of the program, each company will have an opportunity to present at an Investor Demo Day to angel investors, venture capitalists, Microsoft executives, media and industry influentials."

That's a pretty big deal for anyone who manages to make it into the final 10. Personally, I'm just excited to see what ideas these guys have, and what the results turn out like.

Forum Elder
    Pretty impressive. I don't think it'll be long before Move surpasses Kinect.
    Around this time last year, Sony announced it had shipped just over 4 million units of its motion gaming peripheral, the PlayStation Move. And then in early April, about five months later, the company once again announced a new shipping number of around 8 million, doubling the original shipped number. Unfortunately for Sony, it seems the last seven months haven't maintained that momentum, with 1 million being added to the total shipped number (approximately 9 million in total), according to Industry Gamers.

As per usual, Sony isn't giving out hard numbers for units actually sold. It stands to reason, however, that if retailers have only ordered another 1 million units leading up to the holiday season, the peripheral likely isn't selling like, say, Walter White's crystal meth (hotcakes are so out of fashion).

Microsoft has been spinning a similar story with its own motion peripheral, the Kinect, holding to sales statements made last march (10 million sold -- not shipped) rather than offering new data. We're holding out hope that the two hardware companies are more vocal after the coming holiday sales bonanza, but we're not holding our breath either.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/24/re...n-in-the-past/

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I guess we will find out once they release the holiday figures. I think kinect is paying off the way MS expected it too. I'm sure that number is well over 10 million by now. Even if it isn't, its still pretty successful. I remember way before it was released many of you said people wouldn't buy it. Well, it turned out to be the fastest consumer electronic device ever. When it comes to providing a integrated experience on consoles, it has no equal.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Ahh who gives a $#@!, I am simply looking forward to Dust 514 and Bioshock with Move. I hope Randy puts it in Aliens: AC and Borderlands 2.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I guess we will find out once they release the holiday figures. I think kinect is paying off the way MS expected it too. I'm sure that number is well over 10 million by now. Even if it isn't, its still pretty successful. I remember way before it was released many of you said people wouldn't buy it. Well, it turned out to be the fastest consumer electronic device ever. When it comes to providing a integrated experience on consoles, it has no equal.
    All hail Microsoft and the wonders of Kinect. What would we do without them. Amirite?

But still. It sucks bawls. Waiting to change my mind when Sorcery is out and when I get to play Skyward Sword over the holidays (which I'm super excited about). I'm also looking forward to putting them the $#@! down and go back to real gaming

I must say though it is exciting the implementation to use peripherals such as the sharpshooter - gives another way to play the game. That I can appreciate

To me kinect comes across as a multimedia kind of device. I like the idea of navigating through menus and stuff with it. Whereas the move comes across as a gaming device, where you can play games with precision and quick reaction

Software support is another thing, there are obviously a lot of kinect based games but in all honesty they're hardly exciting. I like dancing

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    10 million as of March... I bet it's around 15+ now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Ahh who gives a $#@!, I am simply looking forward to Dust 514 and Bioshock with Move. I hope Randy puts it in Aliens: AC and Borderlands 2.
    I'll be PM'ing you or starting a thread, etc, once my nav + sharpshooter arrive next week...

Power Member
    Items User name style

The figures already tell us that Sony have had 4 third party titles released.
    MS has had about 40.

30 of them are dance games, and the other 10 are fitness games

Now in saying all that, my kids love Kinect, it works really well for them and they play it a lot, they are getting one game this year from Father Xmas this year and it's Disney Kinect.
    It works well for the market its aimed at.

My issue with Move is, its very supplmentary, any "unique" titles that use move as exclusive like Sport Championship can be emulate on the Wii or Kinect.

End result is, the Move isnt really needed.
    Sure sharpshooter is cool, but so were light guns, but they were still niche.

MS has squarlet aimed Kinect at the 12 and under age bracket for games, and the core get dance and fitness games.
    And that works for them.

As hardcore player, I find little that I play on it "daily" or yearn to play on it, but then again, it wasnt bought for me, it was bought for my kids.

And we spend more money on our kids than we do on ourselves.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-25-2011 at 21:53.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    All hail Microsoft and the wonders of Kinect. What would we do without them. Amirite?
    That's something we will never know because they will be here for a very long time. Sweet isn't it?

I'm also looking forward to putting them the $#@! down and go back to traditional gaming
    Fixed that one for ya.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post

But still. It sucks bawls. Waiting to change my mind when Sorcery is out and when I get to play Skyward Sword over the holidays (which I'm super excited about). I'm also looking forward to putting them the $#@! down and go back to real gaming

I must say though it is exciting the implementation to use peripherals such as the sharpshooter - gives another way to play the game. That I can appreciate

To me kinect comes across as a multimedia kind of device. I like the idea of navigating through menus and stuff with it. Whereas the move comes across as a gaming device, where you can play games with precision and quick reaction

Software support is another thing, there are obviously a lot of kinect based games but in all honesty they're hardly exciting. I like dancing
    I think the whole motion control thing sucks! Kinect, Move, Wii, whatever. Give me a controller and let me sit on my couch and play with a gamepad. I get all of the exercise I need working out in the gym, in the yard, etc. None of the motion stuff is any good, and yes, I have played all of them. They're designed to get the little ones, old folks and non-gamers into gaming.

13. Likes Omar likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dyack View Post
    I think the whole motion control thing sucks! Kinect, Move, Wii, whatever. Give me a controller and let me sit on my couch and play with a gamepad. I get all of the exercise I need working out in the gym, in the yard, etc. None of the motion stuff is any good, and yes, I have played all of them. They're designed to get the little ones, old folks and non-gamers into gaming.
    That's exactly what you have.... smh
    The rest of your post couldn't be any less inaccurate.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Now I will point out that out of that 78, probably 77 of them are dance games

I kid. But not by much.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

Now in saying all that, my kids love Kinect, it works really well for them and they play it a lot, they are getting one game this year from Father Xmas this year and it's Disney Kinect.
    It works well for the market its aimed at.
    Same here...My son and his friends enjoy it. I don't get the chance to use it often,but when i do, it works well.

My issue with Move is, its very supplmentary, any "unique" titles that use move as exclusive like Sport Championship can be emulate on the Wii or Kinect.
    That's true. And where is all this exciting move software that they said we would be experiencing. The software is very lacking. I'm starting to think that sony may abandon it.

MS has squarlet aimed Kinect at the 12 and under age bracket for games, and the core get dance and fitness games.
    And that works for them.
    I think that was a very smart move. They already have the hardcore players in the bag. Going after kids and their parents made the most sense.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    God forbid anyone posts good news about Sony on a PlaySta- I mean Xbox fansite.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Well it is great that kinect is being put to good use, even if this good use is outside the realms of gaming.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    God forbid anyone posts good news about Sony on a PlaySta- I mean Xbox fansite.
    Awwww....

It actually might not be that good of news... since the article is BS for one in regards to the Kinect numbers. Secondly, a quote:
    Around this time last year, Sony announced it had shipped just over 4 million units of its motion gaming peripheral, the PlayStation Move. And then in early April, about five months later, the company once again announced a new shipping number of around 8 million, doubling the original shipped number. Unfortunately for Sony, it seems the last seven months haven't maintained that momentum, with 1 million being added to the total shipped number (approximately 9 million in total), according to Industry Gamers.

As per usual, Sony isn't giving out hard numbers for units actually sold. It stands to reason, however, that if retailers have only ordered another 1 million units leading up to the holiday season, the peripheral likely isn't selling like, say, Walter White's crystal meth (hotcakes are so out of fashion).

Microsoft has been spinning a similar story with its own motion peripheral, the Kinect, holding to sales statements made last March (10 million sold -- not shipped) rather than offering new data. We're holding out hope that the two hardware companies are more vocal after the coming holiday sales bonanza, but we're not holding our breath either.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/24/re...n-in-the-past/
    Last edited by F34R; 11-25-2011 at 23:38.

Forum Sage
    That's exactly what you have.... smh
    The rest of your post couldn't be any less inaccurate.
    I believe he understands that. What I got from his post (he's welcome to correct me) is that he is afraid of the direction gaming could go because of the Wii, Move and Kinect.

So, he'd rather just have the companies give him a controller and let him sit on his couch and play (in other words, he does not want them to offer a different method of control when he's fine with what has been offered for the past couple of years.)

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I believe he understands that. What I got from his post (he's welcome to correct me) is that he is afraid of the direction gaming could go because of the Wii, Move and Kinect.

So, he'd rather just have the companies give him a controller and let him sit on his couch and play (in other words, he does not want them to offer a different method of control when he's fine with what has been offered for the past couple of years.)
    There's not indication that either company, including all the third party companies, are going to stop with the traditional gaming offerings.
    Last edited by F34R; 11-26-2011 at 00:25. Reason: removed rogue quote

Forum Sage
    I know. I wasn't suggesting that they were. I thought he was saying that he's afraid that they might stop offering traditional gaming or focus less on it.

Forum Sage
    What I want to know is how kinect will integrate into windows 8. That could make a big difference.

Also the dashboard update improves kinect usability immensely, which might make it more appealing to those who initially dismissed it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I've not liked the kinect usage with the new dash.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Awwww....
    Yeah I didn't mean it lol, but someone always has to say it and this time nobody said it yet, thought I'd keep up the tradition.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Master Guru
    I think Kinect numbers will be around 15 Million when they show them after the Holidays.

Thread Information