Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 9
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Except when your dog picks it up in his mouth and waggles it.
    Still behaves the same as if someone was holding it does it not?
    It's not picking up you hands at all, its picking the glowing ball and the orientation of the gyros etc inside it.
    Same as when you toss it from one hand to the other, it makes a hell of lot of assumptions , how does it know you havent just passed it to someone else.

If your answer is the camera, then thats not the move, thats the camera, and any image captue device could do that with the right software attached.
    The move itself, out side of an increased resolution in the gyro and camera res, isnt going to get a whole hell of a lot more accurate than it is now. Not that it needs to.

Combine it with some advanced image trackign software, and sure it can get more accurate representation of the human body, but thats got little to do with the move itself.That has more in common with what Kinect is doing.

Speaking of sales...

So you add 3/4 million at least to MS's total.

The Camera is part of the PlayStation Move setup & all that talk about dogs & cats is silly,

& nice sells for Kinect I think it will always be a big seller around the holidays just like the Nintendo systems it has that "it factor"

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    The Camera is part of the PlayStation Move setup & all that talk about dogs & cats is silly,

& nice sells for Kinect I think it will always be a big seller around the holidays just like the Nintendo systems it has that "it factor"
    I have no doubt that the camrea side of Move will get better, but its not what gives the move its accuracy in terms of what orientation you are holding it. Position yes, but not orientaiton, and thats really where it counts for games like Tumble etc.

As for the sales, Nintendo sold 500,000 Wiis over the same week , so yeah I think we could safley say Kinect is where the Wii crowd are heading.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    – the biggest week of sales in Xbox history. (Source: Internal data) More than 750,000 Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors were sold in the U.S. – standalone and bundled. (Source: Internal data)

Those are some impressive sales numbers for kinect. The peripheral is still hot as catfish grease.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    not exactly, there is still a camera being used with Move & Move is getting the best tracking of your hands which is pretty important for full body tracking so they can update the camera to try to get better tracking of the rest of your body.

so it's not like the PlayStation Move tech is at a point where it's just about as good as it's going to get.
    Well, it's not tracking your hand, it's tracking the glowy ball...

Will the camera be able to track the ball, and a body?

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Well, it's not tracking your hand, it's tracking the glowy ball...

Will the camera be able to track the ball, and a body?
    well the devs know that you're not holding the controller with your neck , so as far as the game is concern it's getting the position of your hands.

& yes I'm pretty sure the camera can track the Move & your body it tracks your head & the Move in The Fight: lights out & with the Move Fitness game it seems to be tracking your body movement when you step from side to side. so I'm pretty sure when they upgrade to a HD PS-Eye it will be even better at this & it will make the Move tracking even more precise.

Super Elite
    They need a bigger camera lenses, both Kinect and Move. It will improve low lighting conditions a well as reduce motion blur when capturing.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Oh FFS. One is a skelatal representaton, the other is a tool your hold in you hand.

The tool is going to be good at what it can do, it not going to be so good represnting what the rest of your body is doing.

Stengths and weakness's.

Of course as has been pointed out, if they can increase the resolution/number of tracking bones in future verisons of Kinect then it will happily be able to surpass the usefulnes of the postion tracking tool.

One is about accurate as its going to get, one has a long way to go.
    People forget this from time to time. Both devices have their goods and bads...some people have a hard time accepting that.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    well the devs know that you're not holding the controller with your neck , so as far as the game is concern it's getting the position of your hands.

& yes I'm pretty sure the camera can track the Move & your body it tracks your head & the Move in The Fight: lights out & with the Move Fitness game it seems to be tracking your body movement when you step from side to side. so I'm pretty sure when they upgrade to a HD PS-Eye it will be even better at this & it will make the Move tracking even more precise.
    In the Fight and in the fitness it tracks with accelerometer and the ball.... so, I think you're right, it SEEMS like it's tracking the body, but in reality it isn't. Move side to side, and keep the Move in the same spot, and you'll see.

As far as the actual topic, with Kinect selling 750,000+ over this weekend.... doubt Move is going to catch up.
    Last edited by F34R; 11-29-2011 at 22:18.

Forum Elder
    in reality it isn't. Move side to side, and keep the Move in the same spot, and you'll see.
    thanks for the explanation.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    I don't get people's hype for Kinect, its as if they can't remember the Eyetoy.
    IMO, they are not even comparable. That is like stating that the Move controller is the same thing as the Wiimote. Night and day difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    What merit? Everything leading up to Kinect was faked and even once released only has a few select titles.

Move has been the run away success popping up in old and new games. Move has seen twice the developer support. Now thats merit.
    I wasn't aware of any of that. Move has more developer support, more sales and more games? Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Ahhh ok, looked like you meant Move compatible games. But Why should a game be Move only? Options are better. Ken Levine was won over to the PS Move because Sony pitched him the idea of giving a different control option for his game. He talked about how the Move gave him the chance to let the people who are interested in his games but can't get their head around the controller experience his games. People harp on about how all the core PS3 exclusives that have been given Move functionality are not relevant Move content which is BS because the games I listed above all work perfectly with Move AND the DS3. A game that successfully implements both motion control and normal control is awesome. I think motion control ONLY games are inferior in that regard.
    I agree, options are better. I like the fact that I can use Kinect with Forza 4 along with my controller. The head tracking is awesome with Kinect as is the voice menu navigation and the interaction with the Autovista. I love how it implements them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Nice video, I had never seen that. I see that Kinect does do 3D as well, which is pretty cool. And that was just a homebrew little app whipped together in a matter of a few hours. Imagine if time and development (and money) was put behind that, what kind of gaming they could do.

Move is good, but I have found the DS3 to be more precise and less laggy, so I just prefer to use the DS3 in the games that support both. If they ever do any Move only exclusive games, I am sure they will be fun too. Sorcery is one, right?

I use Kinect with my dashboard quite a bit now with the new preview dash, and it's implemented very well. It's precise with hand movements. I also use it for watching movies and playing Forza 4. On the rare occasion I will play Kinect only games with friends and family, but that is rare. You would have to look at my Gamertag to see when the last time is I played a Kinect only game. MONTHS.

Master Guru
    In the Fight and in the fitness it tracks with accelerometer and the ball.... so, I think you're right, it SEEMS like it's tracking the body, but in reality it isn't. Move side to side, and keep the Move in the same spot, and you'll see.

As far as the actual topic, with Kinect selling 750,000+ over this weekend.... doubt Move is going to catch up.
    in The Fight it does track your head movements along with the Move to get an idea of your body movements,

if you watch the Move Fitness video you can see that it is tracking your upper body movements.

Last edited by ONQ; 11-30-2011 at 00:22.

Super Elite
    Yeah, Kinect is not comparable to EyeToy
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Sage
    in The Fight it does track your head movements along with the Move to get an idea of your body movements,

if you watch the Move Fitness video you can see that it is tracking your upper body movements.

Where is the tracking because I don't see it?

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    So what your saying is in the future you'll have an advanced Kinect Camera with 2 Move controllers? xD. But then we wont be able to have 3D unless they figure out large screen glassless displays.
    Last edited by mickice; 11-30-2011 at 00:41.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Where is the tracking because I don't see it?
    go to 23 minutes & watch the dodge ball workout notice that the controller is moving independent from the movement of the blue object that you have to move by really moving your body.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER

It's a good thing I didn't say Move couldn't do head tracking. I said BODY tracking with the ball at the same time. Which is most certainly DOESN'T do in The Fight. I was very specific in my response.

As far as the Move Fitness, no, it's not tracking your body. It uses the approximation of what your body size would be when it "calibrates" and puts a fictitious "body" in place to give you a reference of how far you have to move to dodge the balls. You can just move both move controllers to the side, and stay in place, and it will do the same thing as if you actually moved.

Forum Sage
    go to 23 minutes & watch the dodge ball workout notice that the controller is moving independent from the movement of the blue object that you have to move by really moving your body.
    Sorry but that is not tracking. I think FEAR's post explains it pretty well. Its like its just reacting to movement. Its not tracking your body. For example you can switch out players and the result would still be identical. Look at this video on how kinect ID's a player in control and track their movements , even with another person present. Notice how it stays focused even when he walks behind and in front of the other person.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Yeah, Kinect is not comparable to EyeToy
    They both track movement so they are really, its just that Kinect is much more advanced but thats kinda obvious considering it released 8 years later, at the time, EyeToy was unlike anything before on consoles.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Master Guru
    It's a good thing I didn't say Move couldn't do head tracking. I said BODY tracking with the ball at the same time. Which is most certainly DOESN'T do in The Fight. I was very specific in my response.<br>
    <br>
    As far as the Move Fitness, no, it's not tracking your body. It uses the approximation of what your body size would be when it "calibrates" and puts a fictitious "body" in place to give you a reference of how far you have to move to dodge the balls. You can just move both move controllers to the side, and stay in place, and it will do the same thing as if you actually moved.
    I used it tracking your Head & the Move controllers as a example that it could track your body & the Move controller at the same time.
    when you asked "Will the camera be able to track the ball, and a body?" & keep in mind that we was talking about the Tech going forward , in case you didn't know Kinect also puts a fictitious body in place using the tracking points differences being that kinect does it automatically & has more tracking points keeping it in place.
    Last edited by ONQ; 11-30-2011 at 01:18.

Thread Information