Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Finally You Are Free
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

I donated 10$ to charity. Am I part of the real problem?

This has been on my mind for the past two weeks. I was heading for lunch at my college when I passed by a small group of people accepting donations for charity. The money given would be used to buy wood, water, and basic supplies/necessities for people in poor areas of the world. A noble cause, sure, and after discussing with one guy there I placed 10$ into the bucket. I didn't do it out of pressure, only that I know the money would go to aid someone less fortunate than myself.

However, even before I made the payment and during the two weeks since then my mind has centered on a sole prospect: I may be part of the real problem. Giving poor people food and water isn't really fixing the issue here, you're simply sustaining people. A better use of the money would be to help develop their countries/areas or attempt to actually pull them out of their self unsustainability. Maybe it sounds cruel, because in the short-term people who may have been fed or given water will die, but in the long run they'll ultimately prosper and will have the capabilities to care for themselves.

It's like the old expression goes. Give a man to fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime. All I really accomplished by donating that money was encouraging people to stick to the short-term solution.

As for me making this post? Chalk it up to some thoughtful boredom. Tell me what you guys think if you have any thoughts or responses.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    This has been on my mind for the past two weeks. I was heading for lunch at my college when I passed by a small group of people accepting donations for charity. The money given would be used to buy wood, water, and basic supplies/necessities for people in poor areas of the world. A noble cause, sure, and after discussing with one guy there I placed 10$ into the bucket. I didn't do it out of pressure, only that I know the money would go to aid someone less fortunate than myself.

However, even before I made the payment and during the two weeks since then my mind has centered on a sole prospect: I may be part of the real problem. Giving poor people food and water isn't really fixing the issue here, you're simply sustaining people. A better use of the money would be to help develop their countries/areas or attempt to actually pull them out of their self unsustainability. Maybe it sounds cruel, because in the short-term people who may have been fed or given water will die, but in the long run they'll ultimately prosper and will have the capabilities to care for themselves.

It's like the old expression goes. Give a man to fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime. All I really accomplished by donating that money was encouraging people to stick to the short-term solution.

As for me making this post? Chalk it up to some thoughtful boredom. Tell me what you guys think if you have any thoughts or responses.

That's the thing. Individuals who would rather enable these people to fend for themselves as opposed to keep them dependent are cast as "callous" "cruel" and "uncaring. Because, in the short term, it denies them the funds which they have become so readily reliant upon. It terminates the present welfare state and violates the status quo.

Like restructuring welfare so that they must show up for actual jobs- like paving roads, cleaning up trash, carpentry, etc. Making them work for the money and possibly teaching them a trade or some sort of skill for them to use... But politicians just hate to hear this idea. I wonder why?

Rapture, you and I both know that this isn't really about helping the poor. It's about keeping them dependent and ensuring that a voting base stays exactly in the precarious position that they're in. So that they can further bolster this class-warfare mentality that "I have not because of how much you have". It's all about votes. Power.

There's a difference between accepting that poverty will always exist... And that current poverty levels are simply unavoidable and the only solution to the problem are these extremely lax government aid programs.

It's like forcing a child to stop eating so much candy and have some greens. The child will pout and cry because the vegetables taste terrible and aren't sweet. But the long term is he will live a far better life and have fewer health problems. Not that he cares- immediate gratification and doesn't exist and he has to actually put forth an effort to be healthy. He focuses his anger at the parent (the provider\enforcer giving him the food)... In contrast to the child's affection and pleasure by enabling his horrible lifestyle.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 11-23-2011 at 23:37.

3. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Super Elite
    Bring a man a fish and he shall eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and we shall eat every day.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Power Member
    Make a man a fire and he shall be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Veteran
    Items FuturamaLinuxBlizzardUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Bring a man a fish and he shall eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and we shall eat every day.
    If you don't give him the fish he'll die before he can learn how to fish.
    2010 Lethal's FF League Champion

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by bash View Post
    If you don't give him the fish he'll die before he can learn how to fish.
    Fishing takes like a day to learn.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Fishing takes like a day to learn.
    He was being metaphorical, much like you were until now
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

9. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Super Elite
    I was still speaking metaphorically, lol

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I see what you are saying, but its hard to completely change a countries view on things and teach an entire country to build sustainable lives for themselves.

In terms of what you put money towards, there is nothing wrong with that imo. But my family do things a bit differently, my mum each Christmas puts $40-$80 towards something to help people create lives for themsevles. By buying a family a goat, for milk + it can carry goods etc, or a group of animals so people can start a farm, a bunch of crops to start growing vegetables, or even a fish farm. speaking of teaching how to fish, buying any of these things, sure the unfortunate receive them, but they also get taught how to use them efficiently.

Sure its not going to cure poverty by any stretch.. but we feel that it does more than just give out random funds
    Last edited by DarkVincent07; 11-24-2011 at 01:12.

ERC1980
    NO OP, there's nothing wrong with what you did.

You were being human.

i've donating cash as well to charity (donated $10 for the japanese tsunami relief efforts) and give money to homeless when i can (most of em ask for small change anyways).

one thing i never do is ask homeless what they will do with their money. It's none of my business.

better to help them live a day longer than let them die on the street like animals.

Super Elite
    I donated to the Japanese relief efforts as well!

ERC1980
    I donated to the Japanese relief efforts as well!
    were're both winners as well as everyone else who showed compassion for the japanese in their time of need

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    and you should also question how much of that $10 actually goes to helping that person, or very little of that $10 goes to that person and the rest is used to spend on another charity event campaign somewhere else...I agree with what you said that helping them develop for long-term, instead of temporary, short-term problems..

El Presidente
    I understand what you're saying. If it were possible for me I'd for over to where ever people are living in poverty and actually build them a house, help them get a job or something. There's always the cliche that the homeless will take the money, buy booze and drink themselves into oblivion. I don't think donating money is bad but the better alternative would be to take more aggressive action and actually do something. Know what I mean?

I always (unless I really have no extra money) donate when asked in a store or somewhere else. A couple times I didn't even pay attention to what the clerk said the donation went to. I heard 'donate' and automatically said yes. I walked out of the store having no idea what I just donated to. Lol

I also donated to the Japanese relief effort.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post

I don't think that's cruel at all. Maybe some of it would go to helping them eat while they are being trained, but if they can't ever help themselves, then they will always be dependent on aid that might not always be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    That's the thing. Individuals who would rather enable these people to fend for themselves as opposed to keep them dependent are cast as "callous" "cruel" and "uncaring. Because, in the short term, it denies them the funds which they have become so readily reliant upon. It terminates the present welfare state and violates the status quo.

Like restructuring welfare so that they must show up for actual jobs- like paving roads, cleaning up trash, carpentry, etc. Making them work for the money and possibly teaching them a trade or some sort of skill for them to use... But politicians just hate to hear this idea. I wonder why?

Rapture, you and I both know that this isn't really about helping the poor. It's about keeping them dependent and ensuring that a voting base stays exactly in the precarious position that they're in. So that they can further bolster this class-warfare mentality that "I have not because of how much you have". It's all about votes. Power.

There's a difference between accepting that poverty will always exist... And that current poverty levels are simply unavoidable and the only solution to the problem are these extremely lax government aid programs.

It's like forcing a child to stop eating so much candy and have some greens. The child will pout and cry because the vegetables taste terrible and aren't sweet. But the long term is he will live a far better life and have fewer health problems. Not that he cares- immediate gratification and doesn't exist and he has to actually put forth an effort to be healthy. He focuses his anger at the parent (the provider\enforcer giving him the food)... In contrast to the child's affection and pleasure by enabling his horrible lifestyle.
    Isn't that more of a Biblical thing to do as well? I mean the poor people in the Old Testament had to actually work for gleanings so they would have food. It wasn't just given to them. I think handouts ruin people. Too many people abusing the system because they don't have to do anything.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Ultimate Veteran
    I think you did the right thing to give to charity, if it was something you wanted to do why think about it further to begin with? You wanted to do it, you did it. Nothing more to it imo.

As for underdeveloped countries getting out of their situation, that is more tricky then we think. It is not that underdeveloped countries are not trying, rather the opposite is true, but forces out of their control don't want them to succeed. So I say give charity if you want to and fight the powers at be at the same time, only way things can improve.

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by cssofmo2 View Post
    Nice post,. . thanks..
    That was a nice post too man. Thanks brah :')

Learn to do signatures here

20. Likes podsaurus likes this post
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I never gave a cent for charity and i never will.
    Those poor folks wouldn't give a $#@! about us if the situation was reversed.

Merry Christmas! Everyone is trying to wring a few bucks out of us!
    For Africa, for Asia, for India, for South-America, for Orang Utans, for Whales, for the new desk of the Unicef boss, the list goes on and on.
    How could i justify that i donated for one thing but not the other?

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    That was a nice post too man. Thanks brah :')
    Thanks for the sweet post bro! :'D

Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    I never gave a cent for charity and i never will.
    Those poor folks wouldn't give a $#@! about us if the situation was reversed.

Merry Christmas! Everyone is trying to wring a few bucks out of us!
    For Africa, for Asia, for India, for South-America, for Orang Utans, for Whales, for the new desk of the Unicef boss, the list goes on and on.
    How could i justify that i donated for one thing but not the other?
    Well if the situation were reversed I would expect you to never complain about your situation and needing money. Treat others as you'd like to be treated is what I think. I give money when I can to charities and if I were in their situation I would really appreciate any money they can spare.

I'd rather help people than say no and stomp them out. If I could have gone over to Japan and help pick up and clean all that debris and crap laying around I would have.

Of all the things that humans beings do we come up with more ways to destroy and harm each other than anything else. I go in the opposite direction. That probably makes me a sucker but I refuse to sink to that level, telling people that they're basically worthless.

I'm not trying to go after you Beast or anything I'm just saying.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

23. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    so how do you know that money actually goes to charity?

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

25. Likes *goo likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Some people in this world are happy living on handouts. Aslong as those handouts keep coming they see no reason to change or improve.
    Stop giving the hand outs and life becomes a sink or swim situation, which I see as a better solution.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    That's why I don't give any charity anymore, its not being used properly.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Guru
    We donate quite a bit, but mostly to charities/non-profits that support medical efforts/research (St. Jude, Cancer Foundation), and also do runs/rides [in support of the same], lend our services pro bono, etc.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I donate to Red Cross whenever I get a chance.

I know some of you guys don't believe in God and Christ, but I do. I believe in this situation you ask yourself, What would Jesus do? I feel that Jesus would still donate and give the people chances, as many chances as possible. It's like a drunk man who can't stop drinking. You try to help him stop and go into rehab. He may fail many times, but you keep trying, you keep giving him a chance.

I know this may sound dumb to you guys, but that's what I believe in. As for charities and organizations not using the money right, that's where you have to do research. You find the charities are do right with the money and support them.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I will just put in my 2 cents on this before I go back to the group of people. right now I am upstairs and I have 25 people in the house. lol

Anyway. If a government suppresses their own country, they are going to have to rely on those handouts. That's why it's good to donate because it's not so much the people but their own government that is screwing them over.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Thread Information