Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

Sony: it would be "undesirable" for PS4 to launch significantly later than the comp

But, "there's still a lot of unfinished business on PS3."

Having given Microsoft a year's head start in the current generation, PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan said it would be "undesirable" for PS4 to repeat that for the next-generation.
    Speaking to Eurogamer TV this afternoon at a press event for PlayStation Vita in London, Ryan, who stepped up to the SCEE top job in the summer, said: "I think we would consider it undesirable to be significantly later than the competition [with the next PlayStation]."
    With Wii U out next year and Microsoft expected to reveal the next Xbox in 2012 amid suggestions that a number of studios are already making games for a 2013 launch, industry chatter regarding a PlayStation 3 successor has been considerably more muted.
    This, coupled with Sony's overall financial position, has led to speculation that the company is behind its rivals with its next-generation planning.
    Ryan defended Sony's strategy, insisting: "There's still a lot of unfinished business on PS3."
    He added: "If you look at PlayStation 2, now in excess of 150m units installed globally, a huge majority of that was done at price points of £120 or lower. [With PS3] we've only just hit £199 in the UK, so clearly there's a considerable untapped part of the market there."
    Last week Edge reported that a first-party Sony studio had ceased PS3 development and moved onto PS4 development. The unnamed developer is also apparently involved in building the graphics technology for Sony's next system.
    It then said Guerrilla Games was making a new Killzone game - for PlayStation 4?
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...he-competition

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    The thing about this is I dread Sony rushing the PS4 or their next console out. I want them to take their time and make the best console possible.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah, they need to take their time. The PS3's launch was also rushed and look how barebones it was when it first came out.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    It would be wise for them not to let MS get a big jump on them again. Next time they may not have the edge in tech(BR and such) like last time. That will be more level next time.

5. Likes F34R wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    The PS3 played almost all PS2 games, all PS1 games, was linux compatible had 4 USB ports + cardreaders etc. i really can't see how it was "barebones"!?

The PSN was pretty bad but the hardware itself was rock solid.
    Last edited by Beast of Bourbon; 11-24-2011 at 14:46.

7. Likes Lebowski , Nitey , sainraja wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage

All things considered and in all honesty, Sony has an uphill battle and it's not as simple as, "releasing within striking distance of the competition". There are a lot and I mean a lot of factors involved and this generation. Sony has done a horrific job overall as has everyone else. The total disrespect shown to the consumer base at large is one that will not be forgotten, unless, you're a diehard Sony fan who thinks Sony can do no wrong as a company. They completely ignored precedent set by the courts in favor of jail-broken devices and the people behind it against Apple and resorted to feature hostage taking and other draconian measures to get what they wanted. They completely ignored a base of people who were loyal to them in favor of profits profits profits and a closed closed closed system which was never advertised as closed. Sony and other corporations also instituting online passes and other pass-code schemes where one must either purchase a new game or buy a pass-code and always enter said pass-code to get to content already in the game as standard, is an insult to otherwise intelligent or supposedly intelligent gamers and consumers as a whole.

This generation, by far, has been the most disrespectful generation ever in the history of gaming and I - and I'm sure I'm not alone -am seriously thinking about what I will do for the next generation. One thing is for certain. If Sony thinks it, as a company, can attract everyone from the PS2 generation into this generation or all of us for the PS4 generation... they have got another thing coming. There are consumers who hold their rights as consumers sacred and there are those also hold grudges when they are mistreated and disrespected as has been the case this generation. The power of the purse is much more than what a lot of people think and mind-share is definitely a concept Sony miscalculated on coming into this generation.

9. Likes F34R wishes they had posted this first.
    Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    The PS3 played almost all PS2 games, all PS1 games, was linux compatible had 4 USB ports + cardreaders etc. i really can't see how it was "barebones"!?

The PSN was pretty bad but the hardware itself was rock solid.
    How about the general consensus that it took years before it actually had a solid lineup?

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    All things considered and in all honesty, Sony has an uphill battle and it's not as simple as, "releasing within striking distance of the competition". There are a lot and I mean a lot of factors involved and this generation. Sony has done a horrific job overall as has everyone else. The total disrespect shown to the consumer base at large is one that will not be forgotten, unless, you're a diehard Sony fan who thinks Sony can do no wrong as a company. They completely ignored precedent set by the courts in favor of jail-broken devices and the people behind it against Apple and resorted to feature hostage taking and other draconian measures to get what they wanted. They completely ignored a base of people who were loyal to them in favor of profits profits profits and a closed closed closed system which was never advertised as closed. Sony and other corporations also instituting online passes and other pass-code schemes where one must either purchase a new game or buy a pass-code and always enter said pass-code to get to content already in the game as standard, is an insult to otherwise intelligent or supposedly intelligent gamers and consumers as a whole.

This generation, by far, has been the most disrespectful generation ever in the history of gaming and I - and I'm sure I'm not alone -am seriously thinking about what I will do for the next generation. One thing is for certain. If Sony thinks it, as a company, can attract everyone from the PS2 generation into this generation or all of us for the PS4 generation... they have got another thing coming. There are consumers who hold their rights as consumers sacred and there are those also hold grudges when they are mistreated and disrespected as has been the case this generation. The power of the purse is much more than what a lot of people think and mind-share is definitely a concept Sony miscalculated on coming into this generation.
    Sony have done everything within their power to provide the best gaming experience possible. They gave us free online play, have developed games to suit all genres and continually pump out new games, made motion controls that are core friendly, drove 3D, helping out indie devs etc etc. I don't get all jaded about changes in the game industry. It's an evolving business, so it can't really be avoided. Sony protecting its financials in the jail break saga and online passes are just part and parcel of this. If you feel so wrong done by by Sony, fine, but realize the there are many many people out there who couldn't care less about these gripes and just want to play games. If someone cannot withstand the heat, they should promptly remove themselves from the kitchen.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

12. Likes Kauldron, Lebowski , -Shafty- , Two4DaMoney , Nitey , Linconan wishes they had posted this first.
    Dislikes -Shafty- is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Dedicated Member

There is a lot of truth to what Morganator has said. I am a big SONY fan and have been for a long time, but I would seriously hope that after all the launch missteps they had with the PS3, SONY will have learned a few things. For one, the price. The next gen systems had better NOT be $500-600 bucks. The other thing is they had also damn well better be and STAY Backwards compatible with PS3 software. Aside from that, I don't have many other gripes. But seriously, they should also maybe consider just making one or 2 SKUs, and both should have a huge HDD right out of the box (No more of this 20 SKUs and each HD 50 Gigs more than the last) and have them both packaged with an HDMI, and a head set. And they should also be readying a far larger cloud storage feature available to everyone from the start. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head. I also hope the PS store stays the way it is and just grows larger instead of starting over again (Although I'll bet it stays compatible to both). One of the dissapointments I had with PS3 was the fact that we all had to wait until everything was developed, so in other words, there was NO store if you were an early adopter like myself. But, I feel that was all due to the size of the technological leaps that were happening. Now that broadband is the norm for most, the next gen will probably just be a big bump up in processor speeds and that type of stuff. Oh and one other thing, DON"T TELL the public you're shipping 500,000 units on launch day and then really be launching half or a quarter of that amount. I for one would rather wait and have the product available to to more people and not have to hear about the stupid news stories about people stabbing each other over a game console for the first month, which makes us all look like a bunch ignorant buffoons. I understand some of these things are unavoidable in the excitement of a new consoles launch but, really.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    How about the general consensus that it took years before it actually had a solid lineup?
    Agree, and that price tag. Yeah us more hardcore gamers, and some big spenders dropped it but that is the main reasons Xbox pulled ahead with sales here in US because it is not hardcore gamers that are majority, but mom and pop on a budget looking for something for their kid.

Sony just tried to cram in to much at first, the way the PS3 is now is fine tho yes wish it would play Ps2 games.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

ERC1980
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    The thing about this is I dread Sony rushing the PS4 or their next console out. I want them to take their time and make the best console possible.
    This post nails it.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC1980 View Post
    This post nails it.
    Why thank you.

I look at games that are rushed and they are glitchy and everything. We definitely don't need a rushed console, rushed games are enough.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Sony have done everything within their power to provide the best gaming experience possible. They gave us free online play, have developed games to suit all genres and continually pump out new games, made motion controls that are core friendly, drove 3D, helping out indie devs etc etc. I don't get all jaded about changes in the game industry. It's an evolving business, so it can't really be avoided. Sony protecting its financials in the jail break saga and online passes are just part and parcel of this. If you feel so wrong done by by Sony, fine, but realize the there are many many people out there who couldn't care less about these gripes and just want to play games. If someone cannot withstand the heat, they should promptly remove themselves from the kitchen.
    They also reneged on a lot of the responsibilities they had as a corporation I don't care how much they supposedly gave us. It's not going to change the fact that they held features hostage for the so called reason of protecting their financials. You don't, as a corporation do that and not expect to lose some of your consumer base. Those always and promptly giving Sony the pass are ruining it for the rest of us. You should have fought tooth and nail to keep every feature no matter how much, little or not at all, you used them.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Yeah, they need to take their time. The PS3's launch was also rushed and look how barebones it was when it first came out.
    The PS3 launch was NOT rushed. In fact, at the time, all the pundits were bemoaning how late it was. The PS3 when it launched introduced 3 brand new technologies at the time; Cell, Blu-ray and HDMI, none of them fully established. In fact, the PS3 launch had to be delayed to the late fall in Japan and US because HDMI 1.3 had not been finalized. If anything, the PS3 launch was forced by the 360 coming out a year ahead. Sony back then were informally stating a 2007 PS3 launch when they were pushed into a 2006 launch.

The key thing here is these technologies are now very mature and well established. The tables are turned now. There are all the indicators that Sony is working with IBM on a modified Power7 for the PS4, BD-ROM is very inexpensive and up to 100GB, and HDMI 1.4 looks to be the primary audio/video standard for another 4 to 5 years. Sony is far more prepared for a next gen launch this time around and actually has a more direct path to next gen than MS. This rumor that MS is going to come out with the next Xbox next year has caught on like wildfire to now be some kind of widespread accepted fact, when it's only a rumor right now, and a very thin one at that.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    They also reneged on a lot of the responsibilities they had as a corporation I don't care how much they supposedly gave us. It's not going to change the fact that they held features hostage for the so called reason of protecting their financials. You don't, as a corporation do that and not expect to lose some of your consumer base. Those always and promptly giving Sony the pass are ruining it for the rest of us. You should have fought tooth and nail to keep every feature no matter how much, little or not at all, you used them.
    I'm sure Sony isn't losing any sleep over the jaded minority who are still pissed off about the removal of OoS. I bought my console to play games, so I wouldnt even consider wasting any energy on fighting tooth and nail for something I dont give a rats ass for. Sony have appeased me this gen and are doing better than ever, so...meh!
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    I can totally see how this translates to a: PS4 is in development, more to come real soon.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

21. Likes Two4DaMoney , F34R wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    sony should not worry about the wii u buy the time the PS4 comes out the wii u will be out dated.
    also sony needs to launch the same year or with in the same months or even weeks as the next xbox.
    and they need to have a console thats easy to dev for.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    I can totally see how this translates to a: PS4 is in development, more to come real soon.
    Yep. I don't think they are going to let Msoft launch ahead of them by much, if any at all.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    The PS3 launch was NOT rushed. In fact, at the time, all the pundits were bemoaning how late it was. The PS3 when it launched introduced 3 brand new technologies at the time; Cell, Blu-ray and HDMI, none of them fully established. In fact, the PS3 launch had to be delayed to the late fall in Japan and US because HDMI 1.3 had not been finalized. If anything, the PS3 launch was forced by the 360 coming out a year ahead. Sony back then were informally stating a 2007 PS3 launch when they were pushed into a 2006 launch.

The key thing here is these technologies are now very mature and well established. The tables are turned now. There are all the indicators that Sony is working with IBM on a modified Power7 for the PS4, BD-ROM is very inexpensive and up to 100GB, and HDMI 1.4 looks to be the primary audio/video standard for another 4 to 5 years. Sony is far more prepared for a next gen launch this time around and actually has a more direct path to next gen than MS. This rumor that MS is going to come out with the next Xbox next year has caught on like wildfire to now be some kind of widespread accepted fact, when it's only a rumor right now, and a very thin one at that.
    The hardware wasn't rushed (that is why the Spring delay.) The XMB, however, was rushed. It wasn't ready when they released the PS3 in November 16th.

In-game XMB was demonstrated before the PS3 released but it wasn't part of it at the time of release.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Yep. I don't think they are going to let Msoft launch ahead of them by much, if any at all.
    That's a mistake they can't afford to make again.

26. Likes F34R wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    I expect it will happen again.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    I expect it will happen again.
    My guess is that there will be about a 6 month gap between the two. I still think MS will release first though.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    My guess is that there will be about a 6 month gap between the two. I still think MS will release first though.
    MS Nov. 2013
    Sony: Sept.-Nov. 2014

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    MS Nov. 2013
    Sony: Sept.-Nov. 2014
    Sounds plausible.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It would be wise for them not to let MS get a big jump on them again. Next time they may not have the edge in tech(BR and such) like last time. That will be more level next time.
    Blu Ray hurt the PS3 more than it helped.

Especially since MS countered the problem with HDD installs.

EDIT: It will definitely be an interesting turn out because the playing field will be more leveled next time around. No space issues and generally the services will be adequate for the mainstream at least. I'm sure MS will try to up the services but what Live has at the moment is good enough, just need to make it more efficient and streamlined.
    Last edited by Sufi; 11-25-2011 at 02:15.

Thread Information