3D movie file format that is automatically recognized as 3D by the PS3?

Hi folks,

just bought a 3D TV. I was wondering, you know with 3D bluerays and 3D games, the PS3 tells the TV that the following thing is 3D and the TV automatically switches to 3D mode.

I have a few 3D shorts in mp4 files (side-by-side). When I play them, they show up side-by-side and I have to tell my TV manually that this is 3D.

I would like to convert those shorts a different format, so that when I start them up, the PS3 would automatically recognize that this format is a 3D format, tell it to the TV which would then automatically switch to 3D mode.

Question 1: is this possible?
    Question 2: what file format do I need to convert my stuff to
    Question 3: any hints which software could do this on OS X?

Thanks!
    Ugor

Quote Originally Posted by Ugorr View Post
    Hi folks,

just bought a 3D TV. I was wondering, you know with 3D bluerays and 3D games, the PS3 tells the TV that the following thing is 3D and the TV automatically switches to 3D mode.
    [snip]
    Question 1: is this possible?
    Question 2: what file format do I need to convert my stuff to
    Question 3: any hints which software could do this on OS X?

Thanks!
    Ugor
    1) Yes, Sony actually did this with some mp4 video clips on the store.
    2) See 1, with the added point that I wanted to look into this more for inclusion in Gotsent, but never got around to doing it. It should just be a header value, since the content seemed to be SBS.
    3) I assume that Vegas Pro can do this, as they seem to author all video with that.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Make sure to play the games in my sig on your new TV.

Quote Originally Posted by sentry23 View Post
    1) Yes, Sony actually did this with some mp4 video clips on the store.
    You mean the online store? Thanks, I will check this one out!

Quote Originally Posted by sentry23 View Post
    2) wanted to look into this more for inclusion in Gotsent, but never got around to doing it. It should just be a header value, since the content seemed to be SBS.
    If you would have time to look into it, it would help me tremendously. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Make sure to play the games in my sig on your new TV.
    Already on it!

Veteran
    The file format is MNV, a Sony proprietary DRM format, although the movie in the container is an AVC MP4. Sony uses the MNV file extension for 2D rental movies as well, the DRM containing the autostart and video format information.

The free examples in the PSN store indicate they are interleaved on my LG Cinema 3D monitor. The Sports Illustrated one is one that has a lot of 3D wow factor, not just the subjects, but the way it was shot. The Bon Jovi 3D wasn't anywhere near as good but it had some good 3D popout moments. Even these free 3D have the DRM so it can't be copied, only backed up and encrypted. The 3D MNV format is definitely a revenue stream for Sony and it doesn't look like anybody has been able to do anything with it.

Found out the Youtube 3D saves out as a PS3 compatible AVC MP4. The PS3 plays it as side-by-side and the 3D display just needs to be switched to that. Quality is pretty good with Youtube 1080p.
    Last edited by Bligmerk; 12-01-2011 at 22:34.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Good news: I found a video that automatically tells the PS3 it's in 3D. Here it is:
    https://rapidshare.com/files/2022363...ailer_720p.MP4

Steps to reproduce: On your USB flash drive, create a root directory called "VIDEO". Copy this file into it. Plug it into PS3. Start your PS3, navigate to Video, flash drive, start the video, PS3 will prompt you that it detected a 3D movie

When played on a PC, this video shows up as 60fps, quickly alternating between the 2 views.

I also found other threads talking exactly about this:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19798265
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1281356&page=5
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=158457&page=18

The takeaway seems to be that it is possible to encode a video this way, and it will look better than all side-by-side solutions. But there is currently no public encoding solution, because it's quite complicated. What a bummer

Here is a guide that will help you create such files (3D frame sequential):
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170863

Thread Information