Thread: Good PSP RPGs?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat

Good PSP RPGs?

Ok so I need a break from the PS3 and I was thinking of picking up a few games for our handheld here. I'm particularly interested in RPGs. Probably FF or something along those lines. Any suggestions?
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    If you loved Final Fantasy, you will love Silver Lunar Star Harmony. Excellent game, I loved it! It's definitely one of the best RPGs I have ever played and it may have even influenced ff a bit.

If I were you, I would check it out.

Edit:
    Another PSP RPG I could never get enough of was Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Thanks a lot mate! I just hope I can find them at my local store.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Veteran
    You'll find Lunar, but not Valkyrie. Valkyrie is kind of rare, I had to order it online.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    I can just hope. I don't have a lot of online ordering options anyway.

OK the site where I usually order stuff online doesn't have either of the two. Damn I'll have to check elsewhere.

EDIT : It's on eBay for about $50. (:
    Last edited by gangsta_795; 11-29-2011 at 19:16.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Persona, Persona 2, Persona 3, Jeanne D'Arc, Crisis Core, Dissidia, Dissidia 2, Tales of...there's plenty to chose from!
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Star Ocean: First Departure is pretty awesome, as is Lord of Arcana. Very different games, but also a blast

Forum Sage
    Original PSP games/Extensive remakes:

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter
    Starts off kinda slow, but in the end it's hard to put it down. As far as gameplay & presentation goes, it's kind of a blast from the past. Very reminiscent of PS1 JRPGs. It's the first game in a trilogy and currently the fate of the sequels is uncertain (these games have an insane amount of text to translate and since PSP is dead outside Japan, XSeed has to consider other ways of bringing them out in cooperation with the games' Japanese developer Falcom), but even taking that into consideration, I thought this game was worth playing. The game kinda has its own storyline that gets concluded in this game, but it seems to tie into some bigger things happening in the world and regarding one character it leaves things in quite the cliffhanger.

Also, NOTE: do not mix the three previous Legend of Heroes on PSP games to this one (those are mediocre). Just stick to Trails in the Sky.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    If you've ever played Final Fantasy Tactics, this is basically a similar kind of game except without the Final Fantasy name behind it. Has a very mature, branching storyline and a genius "new game+" type system that allows you to experience those different storylines relatively easily.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
    Easily the best game in the franchise and, IMHO, one of the best action RPGs of all time. The advancements made in the battlesystem make this a really fun game to play.

Half-minute Hero
    A really fun game with an interesting idea (the name kind of gives it away). I think there should be a demo of this, so I'd suggest you check it out to see if you like it, not the most traditional game around...

ClaDun: This is an RPG & ClaDun X2
    Retro graphics, action RPG, customization and randomized dungeons. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed these two games.

Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
    Kind of a cutesy action RPG-ish game, but a fun one.

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
    As traditional as JRPGs can be, but in a good way. The PSP version kind of suffers from loading times, but if you don't mind those, then it's a stellar game to play through.

Jeanne D'Arc
    I dunno, I perhaps consider this to be Level 5's best game (outside the Layton games). The rest of their games suffer from so much padding, which Jeanne D'Arc doesn't have (or at least it doesn't feel as boring as in the other games). Story-wise it's nothing special, though.

3rd Birthday
    Has a bat$#@! insane story (not that good), but as a fast-paced action/shooter RPG, this is a perfect change of pace in between slower-paced RPGs like Legend of Heroes & Tactics Ogre. Isn't without its flaws, but it's a decently fun game.

Phantasy Star Portable 2
    If you're a fan of coop hack 'n slash loot-$#@! games, I can't think of a better game for PSP than Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
    This isn't anything too special, as far as gameplay goes (it's a decent though grindy action RPG), but it's fun to return to the world of FFVII.

Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy
    So... technically this is a fighting game, but it's kind of a mix between a fighting game and RPG (you've got equipment, levels and all that). If you get into it, developing all the characters in the game WILL devour many, many hours of your life.

PoPoLoCrois
    Another somewhat traditional JRPG with a kind of... simple story that seems more aimed at children than adults, but can be enjoyable for grown ups too if you're not too frown-faced one.

Crimson Gem Saga
    One of my favorite PSP JRPGs. Was kind of ignored by a lot of PSP owning JRPG fans. Doesn't really try anything new, but has an enjoyable battlesystem and decent (although somewhat predictable) story.

Valkyria Chronicles II
    It isn't quite as good as the first one on PS3 and can be kind of grindy if you have an OCD to complete everything, but it's not a bad game by any means. Just a bit different from the first.

Patapon 1, 2 & 3
    Again, these aren't your traditional RPGs. More of a mix between real-time stategy games, RPGs and music/rhythm games. Sounds like an impossible combination, but it works really well. The first two can be grindy, which is why I prefer the third game.

Ys Seven
    Ys: Oath in Felghana
    Ys I & II Chronicles

These are fun, challenging action RPGs. They can kick your ass if you pick up too hard a difficulty level, but if you learn from your mistakes then they shouldn't be impossible to get through. I & II Chronicles are kinda dated, but once you've played OiF and Seven, you'll probably want some more Ys-goodness and the first two games can be fun despite the simpler nature of them. :P

Straigh-ish ports from the original games:

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
    Probably Tri-Ace's best game.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
    It feels like Matsuno can do no wrong. As far as SRPGs go, it's one of the best.

Persona 1
    This (& the next) suggestion comes with a warning that you should be able to endure some dated gameplay stuff to enjoy it. But if you can get past that aspect, it's your usual twisted Persona goodness.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin
    This isn't quite as bad in the dated gameplay design as the first game, but it can still be somewhat boring in comparison to advances made in the genre since then. This is an improvement over 1 in every other way, though, so even if you end up playing 1 first (it's not mandatory to understand the story) and don't like it, there's a chance this is more to your liking.

Persona 3 Portable
    If you haven't played the original on PS2, this is a good place to start as it adds yet more content into the game.

Riviera: The Promised Land
    This is quite abnormal in the way how you move around in the game, but it has a nice story. Not the BESTESTEST of JRPGs around, but if you want to try out something different, you could do a lot worse. Due to the structure of the game, I don't think it's a game for everyone, but it's worth checking out, especially if you can find it cheap.

Knights in the Nightmare
    A mix of bullet-hell shooter & SRPG. Yeah, you read that right. An interesting idea that is executed really well.

Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone
    Another from-Nintendo-handheld-to-PSP port from the makers of Riviera & Knights in the Nightmare. It's a good game, though I like Knights in the Nightmare more.

Also, we don't want to forget the fact that you can play PS1 JRPGs on the go, so if you're feeling nostalgic, these are some of the best JRPGs available from the PSN Store (though, some of them require access to US Store, at the moment):

Vagrant Story
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Grandia
    Alundra
    Arc the Lad I-III (I is kinda simple, but you should 100% it to get some awesome extra storylines in II, which is the best game in the trilogy)
    Legend of Mana
    Parasite Eve
    Xenogears
    Front Mission 3
    Threads of Fate
    Wild Arms 1 & 2
    Chrono Cross

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

9. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    OK, he's definitely set for life now

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post

EDIT : It's on eBay for about $50. (:
    Which one?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Quote Originally Posted by Azu View Post
    Original PSP games/Extensive remakes:

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter
    Starts off kinda slow, but in the end it's hard to put it down. As far as gameplay & presentation goes, it's kind of a blast from the past. Very reminiscent of PS1 JRPGs. It's the first game in a trilogy and currently the fate of the sequels is uncertain (these games have an insane amount of text to translate and since PSP is dead outside Japan, XSeed has to consider other ways of bringing them out in cooperation with the games' Japanese developer Falcom), but even taking that into consideration, I thought this game was worth playing. The game kinda has its own storyline that gets concluded in this game, but it seems to tie into some bigger things happening in the world and regarding one character it leaves things in quite the cliffhanger.

Also, NOTE: do not mix the three previous Legend of Heroes on PSP games to this one (those are mediocre). Just stick to Trails in the Sky.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    If you've ever played Final Fantasy Tactics, this is basically a similar kind of game except without the Final Fantasy name behind it. Has a very mature, branching storyline and a genius "new game+" type system that allows you to experience those different storylines relatively easily.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
    Easily the best game in the franchise and, IMHO, one of the best action RPGs of all time. The advancements made in the battlesystem make this a really fun game to play.

Half-minute Hero
    A really fun game with an interesting idea (the name kind of gives it away). I think there should be a demo of this, so I'd suggest you check it out to see if you like it, not the most traditional game around...

ClaDun: This is an RPG & ClaDun X2
    Retro graphics, action RPG, customization and randomized dungeons. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed these two games.

Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
    Kind of a cutesy action RPG-ish game, but a fun one.

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
    As traditional as JRPGs can be, but in a good way. The PSP version kind of suffers from loading times, but if you don't mind those, then it's a stellar game to play through.

Jeanne D'Arc
    I dunno, I perhaps consider this to be Level 5's best game (outside the Layton games). The rest of their games suffer from so much padding, which Jeanne D'Arc doesn't have (or at least it doesn't feel as boring as in the other games). Story-wise it's nothing special, though.

3rd Birthday
    Has a bat$#@! insane story (not that good), but as a fast-paced action/shooter RPG, this is a perfect change of pace in between slower-paced RPGs like Legend of Heroes & Tactics Ogre. Isn't without its flaws, but it's a decently fun game.

Phantasy Star Portable 2
    If you're a fan of coop hack 'n slash loot-$#@! games, I can't think of a better game for PSP than Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
    This isn't anything too special, as far as gameplay goes (it's a decent though grindy action RPG), but it's fun to return to the world of FFVII.

Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy
    So... technically this is a fighting game, but it's kind of a mix between a fighting game and RPG (you've got equipment, levels and all that). If you get into it, developing all the characters in the game WILL devour many, many hours of your life.

PoPoLoCrois
    Another somewhat traditional JRPG with a kind of... simple story that seems more aimed at children than adults, but can be enjoyable for grown ups too if you're not too frown-faced one.

Crimson Gem Saga
    One of my favorite PSP JRPGs. Was kind of ignored by a lot of PSP owning JRPG fans. Doesn't really try anything new, but has an enjoyable battlesystem and decent (although somewhat predictable) story.

Valkyria Chronicles II
    It isn't quite as good as the first one on PS3 and can be kind of grindy if you have an OCD to complete everything, but it's not a bad game by any means. Just a bit different from the first.

Patapon 1, 2 & 3
    Again, these aren't your traditional RPGs. More of a mix between real-time stategy games, RPGs and music/rhythm games. Sounds like an impossible combination, but it works really well. The first two can be grindy, which is why I prefer the third game.

Ys Seven
    Ys: Oath in Felghana
    Ys I & II Chronicles

These are fun, challenging action RPGs. They can kick your ass if you pick up too hard a difficulty level, but if you learn from your mistakes then they shouldn't be impossible to get through. I & II Chronicles are kinda dated, but once you've played OiF and Seven, you'll probably want some more Ys-goodness and the first two games can be fun despite the simpler nature of them. :P

Straigh-ish ports from the original games:

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
    Probably Tri-Ace's best game.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
    It feels like Matsuno can do no wrong. As far as SRPGs go, it's one of the best.

Persona 1
    This (& the next) suggestion comes with a warning that you should be able to endure some dated gameplay stuff to enjoy it. But if you can get past that aspect, it's your usual twisted Persona goodness.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin
    This isn't quite as bad in the dated gameplay design as the first game, but it can still be somewhat boring in comparison to advances made in the genre since then. This is an improvement over 1 in every other way, though, so even if you end up playing 1 first (it's not mandatory to understand the story) and don't like it, there's a chance this is more to your liking.

Persona 3 Portable
    If you haven't played the original on PS2, this is a good place to start as it adds yet more content into the game.

Riviera: The Promised Land
    This is quite abnormal in the way how you move around in the game, but it has a nice story. Not the BESTESTEST of JRPGs around, but if you want to try out something different, you could do a lot worse. Due to the structure of the game, I don't think it's a game for everyone, but it's worth checking out, especially if you can find it cheap.

Knights in the Nightmare
    A mix of bullet-hell shooter & SRPG. Yeah, you read that right. An interesting idea that is executed really well.

Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone
    Another from-Nintendo-handheld-to-PSP port from the makers of Riviera & Knights in the Nightmare. It's a good game, though I like Knights in the Nightmare more.

Also, we don't want to forget the fact that you can play PS1 JRPGs on the go, so if you're feeling nostalgic, these are some of the best JRPGs available from the PSN Store (though, some of them require access to US Store, at the moment):

Vagrant Story
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Grandia
    Alundra
    Arc the Lad I-III (I is kinda simple, but you should 100% it to get some awesome extra storylines in II, which is the best game in the trilogy)
    Legend of Mana
    Parasite Eve
    Xenogears
    Front Mission 3
    Threads of Fate
    Wild Arms 1 & 2
    Chrono Cross
    Wow thanks a lot. +rep!

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Which one?
    Lunar for $50 and Valkyrie for about $35.

Veteran
    Enjoy your RPGs.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Will do

There are so many I think the PSP had a great range of RPGS.

My personal favourites are:

Crisis Core
    Valkyrie Profiles : Lenneth
    Phantasy Star
    Star Ocean 1 & 2
    Breath of Fire III

There is also FFVIII on the PSN which is deff worth checking out also. Unfortunatly some of the RPGS are quite hard to find now, I just hope The Tales series appears on the PSN one day.

Thread Information