Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Elite Member

I view advertising for the PS3 much the same as I view advertising for toilet paper..... totally unnecessary.

Is there anyone who plays video games that does not know that Sony has the PS3? Is there really anyone left who doesn't know the PS3 exists?

If a person knows the PS3 exists and knows it's in stores, what good is an advertisement going to do? Does anyone actually think people sit around going "You know, I really want to buy an Xbox 360. Oh wait, a PS3 commercial just came on, I'll go buy a PS3 instead."

People buy many products for many reasons, but I have yet to meet any gamer who bought a console because they saw a TV commercial.

Super Elite
    Items Microsoft LogoApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I view advertising for the PS3 much the same as I view advertising for toilet paper..... totally unnecessary.

Is there anyone who plays video games that does not know that Sony has the PS3? Is there really anyone left who doesn't know the PS3 exists?

If a person knows the PS3 exists and knows it's in stores, what good is an advertisement going to do? Does anyone actually think people sit around going "You know, I really want to buy an Xbox 360. Oh wait, a PS3 commercial just came on, I'll go buy a PS3 instead."

People buy many products for many reasons, but I have yet to meet any gamer who bought a console because they saw a TV commercial.
    Yikes!

On another note people need to remember it's not just the amount of advertising that matters but the quality of that advertising and Microsoft has Sony well beaten in that regard. The fact they do more of it is just the icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Wasib; 12-09-2011 at 00:27.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wasib View Post
    Yikes!

Allow me to make an analogy to explain my point.

97% of the people who stepped on a Saab dealership drove off with a brand new Saab. 94% of the people who stepped on a Volvo dealership left with a Volvo.

The point is, people who buy these products know what they want. $300 consoles are not impulse buys, the people buying them know exactly which system they want well in advance. They've often decided weeks or even months in advance which console they want to buy, and commercials do not influence their decision. Far bigger factors are things like which games they want to play and which system their friends have.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sony are advertising like never before in the UK now, more than PS1 or PS2. Too little too late though at this point, lets hope they kick start Vita with this level of advertising,

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

PSN ID
    Kizzie_18
    I agree with this thread. The xbox 360 tends to get alot more exposure during adverts when it comes to multi-console games such as COD. Whenever a Call of Duty advert comes on, it always shows for a xbox 360 console at the end.

Thread Information