Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

How To Fix Final Fantasy

I know there have been plenty of these articles over the last couple years, but I think this author brings up some good ideas....

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/02/ho...final-fantasy/

Let's be real: Final Fantasy is broken.

Sure, Square Enix's influential JRPG series might still be popular, its most recent single-player entry shipping 6.2 million units worldwide. And it might still be spawning more sequels, spin-offs and remakes than a Hollywood producer.

But it can do so much better. I mean, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 moved 6.5 million copies in twenty-four hours.

How do we get that much milk out of the Final Fantasy cash cow? What's the magical formula for appealing to American tastes? How can we fix a series that some say has been treading water for over a decade now?

Here are a few ideas.

More DLC

It's getting clearer and clearer that games are not meant to be sold as complete packages. Games are meant to be ripped apart and sold in moderately-sized downloadable chunks.

Square Enix had the right idea for Final Fantasy XIII, selling the game without any towns, interesting dungeons, or fun. But then they forgot the DLC. Here was an entire legion of fans waiting for a downloadable package that would turn Final Fantasy XIII into a playable experience, but the package never came. Where was it?

Fortunately, the company seems to be getting on track with Final Fantasy XIII-2. Square Enix has already confirmed pre-order exclusive weapons, which it can then sell several months after release for extra money. Later, it can offer DLC packages for "Tolerable Characters" and "Less Embarrassing Dialogue."

This is 2011. Every gamer on the planet has an Internet connection. And many of those gamers have access to their parents' credit cards. Selling them DLC for Final Fantasy is as easy as taking candy from a baby (and then convincing the baby to buy the candy back from you at a reasonable price).

Series Crossovers

Square Enix recently announced that it will sell an Assassin's Creed costume for Final Fantasy XIII-2. This is great, because if there's anything Final Fantasy needs, it's more costumes.

But why stop there? Final Fantasy is the perfect playground for all sorts of integrated marketing ideas. Harry Potter-themed spells. Cameo appearances by Street Fighter characters. KFC-branded chocobo meat.

Remember, the way to make serious money is to think outside of the box. Even if that means releasing Dilbert Presents Final Fantasy XV.

Micro-Transactions

Fans loved Triple Triad, the card game included in Final Fantasy VIII that was so addictive it could have been packaged as its own game. So why not package it as its own game?

We're in a recession here. Developers can't afford to work on nonsense like "mini-games" or "sidequests" without getting a little extra moolah. Square Enix should make a buck or two every time somebody wants to play blitzball or go chocobo racing or use the snowboard machine in the Golden Saucer. That's just good business.

Today's gamers don't want to go on grand, 60-hour adventures packed with things to see and do. They want to pay $50/year to get called racial slurs on Xbox Live. To fix Final Fantasy, we have to take advantage of that.

"But hey," you might be saying. "JRPGs like Dragon Quest IX and Tales of Vesperia have done just fine without any of these fixes. Many developers are still releasing great role-playing games with innovative mechanics and enthralling stories. Some of 2011's best games -- like Radiant Historia and The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky -- have been charming, traditional experiences without any invasive DLC or micro-transactions."

Well, sure. But do their developers get to swim in pools of your money? Thought not.

^^^The above article is sarcastic.
    Last edited by Ixion; 12-04-2011 at 20:26.

Dedicated Member
    Weird article. What they wrote is a joke for the most part....

Why the hell does FF need character crossovers? That's stupid.

An "entire legion of fans" wasn't waiting on DLC for FFXIII, they at least wanted a complete 360 degree experience from the start, (which they didn't get) and they would have found DLC as a nice bonus every so often.

Super Elite
    How to fix Final Fantasy?, stop trying to westernize and go back to their roots of what they do best.

4. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Superior Member
    Erm, sorry to break the fun, but he's being sarcastic.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Sarcasm is a waste of time.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Elite Member
    Article made me lol. I happened to love Final Fantasy XIII though. Still need to finish it. Maybe I'll buy it now that it's cheap.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    What would really fix it? Less annoying characters. A more serious storyline. Turn based strategy. World map traversal. TOWNS. I didn't really have a problem with XIII, but it could have been better.
    [COLOR=#fafafa !important]

[/COLOR]

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

9. Likes AaronSOLDIER , SuperSayian5Goku likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Drezee1
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    What would really fix it? Less annoying characters. A more serious storyline. Turn based strategy. World map traversal. TOWNS. I didn't really have a problem with XIII, but it could have been better.
    [COLOR=#fafafa !important]

[/COLOR]

I agree with turn-based. Action-based hack-n-slash aren't meant for pure FF RPG's IMHO.
    Why wait later when you can do now!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    My biggest problem with 13 was not the linearity, but the characters. IMO, it had the worst cast of characters out of the entire series. I'd even take FF1s mute characters over them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Ultimate Veteran
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII will fix Final Fantasy.

13. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    People who play games like FF are WAY different gamers than the ones playing CoD.

It might work for CoD fans to have a bunch of patch and add-on content, but the exact opposite would be true for an RPG (Non-MMO, of course). One of people's biggest gripes about FFXIII was that it had inconsistent pacing and lacked severely in on-linear content. It was an incomplete game and the mere fact that they are trying to wrap up the story with a lame sequel is proof that SE has really lost their touch in making RPGs of the calibur of previous generations.

People were fine up until FF7 with there being a completely new universe with each iteration of the franchise. FF, plain and simple, is not a unique experience any more. It doesn't even attempt to differentiate from itself with anything less than nonsensical plots that are so thin as to simply replace normal English words with made up crap and stick you through a glorified rat maze between cutscenes.

What does SE need to clean up the FF series?
    1. Open worlds... Yes, this is a giant middle finger to the post FFX bandwagon jumpers, but the lack of exploration in these games has completely split the fanbase. I find this both sad and ironic for the videogame franchise that literally invented the sidequest in videogames.
    2. Let's make battles that are less about orchestrating a winning strategy and actually be more tactical. The overall feel from the battle systems in recent entries is that as your characters become more powerful, you can pretty much use the same hand full of formulas to win every battle. Only by going to specific places where the enemies are more diverse can you break that monotony and even then the cycle seems repetitive as the challenge is relegated to these areas. Macro based battle systems are very disengaging unless they can find some way of spicing it up enough. We all used to poke fun of the "just press X" battles of back in the day, but making some huge overly diluted system is simplifying it back to "just press X".
    3. Writing.. These characters have been unbelievably one dimensional. I swear if wannabe surfer dude whom I cannot remember his name for the life of me right now said "I'm the hero" ONE MORE TIME in XIII, I was going to chunk my controller through my 50" HDTV. Naming a hopeless emo buttpuppet "Hope" was icing on the cake. These games have had the emotional impact of a Britney Spears CD played backwards. Vomit-inducing.

15. Likes Aldebaran, Omar, AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Master Guru
    Final Fantasy doesn't need to be fixed. Instead gamers should drop the nostalgia and just enjoy the games that we have today. Final Fantasy XIII was amazing and anyone who doesn't think so isn't a true FF fan.

Have any of you played Final Fantasy XI? The MMO? It's still breath taking to this day. Square Enix are brilliant.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    People who play games like FF are WAY different gamers than the ones playing CoD.

It might work for CoD fans to have a bunch of patch and add-on content, but the exact opposite would be true for an RPG (Non-MMO, of course). One of people's biggest gripes about FFXIII was that it had inconsistent pacing and lacked severely in on-linear content. It was an incomplete game and the mere fact that they are trying to wrap up the story with a lame sequel is proof that SE has really lost their touch in making RPGs of the calibur of previous generations.

People were fine up until FF7 with there being a completely new universe with each iteration of the franchise. FF, plain and simple, is not a unique experience any more. It doesn't even attempt to differentiate from itself with anything less than nonsensical plots that are so thin as to simply replace normal English words with made up crap and stick you through a glorified rat maze between cutscenes.

What does SE need to clean up the FF series?
    1. Open worlds... Yes, this is a giant middle finger to the post FFX bandwagon jumpers, but the lack of exploration in these games has completely split the fanbase. I find this both sad and ironic for the videogame franchise that literally invented the sidequest in videogames.
    2. Let's make battles that are less about orchestrating a winning strategy and actually be more tactical. The overall feel from the battle systems in recent entries is that as your characters become more powerful, you can pretty much use the same hand full of formulas to win every battle. Only by going to specific places where the enemies are more diverse can you break that monotony and even then the cycle seems repetitive as the challenge is relegated to these areas. Macro based battle systems are very disengaging unless they can find some way of spicing it up enough. We all used to poke fun of the "just press X" battles of back in the day, but making some huge overly diluted system is simplifying it back to "just press X".
    3. Writing.. These characters have been unbelievably one dimensional. I swear if wannabe surfer dude whom I cannot remember his name for the life of me right now said "I'm the hero" ONE MORE TIME in XIII, I was going to chunk my controller through my 50" HDTV. Naming a hopeless emo buttpuppet "Hope" was icing on the cake. These games have had the emotional impact of a Britney Spears CD played backwards. Vomit-inducing.
    + $#@!ing rep.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Final Fantasy doesn't need to be fixed. Instead gamers should drop the nostalgia and just enjoy the games that we have today. Final Fantasy XIII was amazing and anyone who doesn't think so isn't a true FF fan.

Have any of you played Final Fantasy XI? The MMO? It's still breath taking to this day. Square Enix are brilliant.
    I take immense offense to this mentality. I'm not singling you out, but this attitude within the FF fanbase is cancer to the franchise. True FF fans? I've bought every single one since... well, ONE. *I* am the reason why Square didn't bellyflop into nonexistence. I was there when the Super NES FFs were out and were a huge departure from the other games in the era of Mario and Sonic. It completely screwed with some gamers that FF wasn't a continuous universe, even more (like me) absolutely loved the new stories and worlds concept and gladly lines up with their parents or their own money to be a part of that.

So, what you're saying is, there is no room for improvement? That if Final Fantasy became an FPS game, it would be okay, because as a true FF fan you have to accept a flaming paper bag with dog $#@! in it as long as it has the words "Final" "Fantasy" and a number tacked to the end? That if the rest of my rant was worded as a flabberjoo about a maningus called a rabfljurby, that it would be an intellegent rant? What if my rant went on for over thirty hours? Would I, or should I, expect to be a popular forum member afterward?

I think not. The real FF fans are few and far between. We've been chased off with the litany of retardery that has become this franchise. FFXI, I would like to point out, was a SQUARESOFT game. Even it's fanbase got dragged through the mud and summarily publicly raped for supporting FFXIV. See how far blind loyalty gets you?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Won't be long before FF becomes a western franchise and is subtitled in Japan with English only VA.

Elite Sage
    Give the series a phoenix down.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

21. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post

I don't think there's anything wrong with longtime Final Fantasy fans who want to enjoy a deep, well-written JRPG experience. So would you kindly drop the "true Final Fantasy fan" bull$#@!? It's very offensive.

23. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Just to clarify, the article is sarcastic. He's basically criticizing the direction S-E is taking with FFXIII-2.

Anywho, Final Fantasy Versus XIII is basically my opinion on how to fix the series, since I would tell them to do the following:

-Make it darker
    -Action-RPG (seamless battles)
    -Make the battles more cinematic and akin to Advent Children
    -Bring back the open world
    -Better writing

Versus seems to possess all of these qualities, except we don't know about the writing yet. But I feel this formula would garner the most sales in this day and age, as it would still be a very Japanese experience, yet it would appeal more to the west as well (dark story, open world, seamless battles, etc).
    Last edited by Ixion; 12-04-2011 at 19:58.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelios View Post
    Give the series a phoenix down.
    I think its too late for that - its passed KO status.

26. Likes SuperSayian5Goku likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    A lot of us are holding out for Versus. SE really pissed a lot of people off with XIII-2 when Versus has been so far on the backburner that other projects get green-lighted and put on shelves while we wait.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    A lot of us are holding out for Versus. SE really pissed a lot of people off with XIII-2 when Versus has been so far on the backburner that other projects get green-lighted and put on shelves while we wait.

But seriously, I'd rather they take their time and actually deliver a masterpiece, than release a decent game that I'll only play once.

I'm still playing my favorite Final Fantasy games to this day (including FFX over a dozen times). So Versus will be worth the wait if it's something I want to keep playing over and over for the next decade. Let's just hope it doesn't disappoint! Although I'm afraid I'm getting my hopes up too much, like with FFXIII.

Ultimate Veteran
    We would have probably been playing Final Fantasy Versus XIII by now if Square Enix hadn't announced so many different titles in the last couple years. Most of these we know next to nothing about and others that had some potential but were ultimately cancelled (e.g. Fortress).
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 12-04-2011 at 21:08.

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy X
    Versus XIII is definitely not the answer either. It's less FF than XIII was. FF is not Kingdom Hearts, and an action-RPG is not what it should become. It needs to go back to the ATB system with a huge world, towns, airships/vehicles, and most importantly RANDOM ENCOUNTERS. Those were the crux of FF. That oh $#@! moment when you forgot to rest or save or hit up a save point and ran into something and had to make it through. Take X and improve on it. Bring back the Attacker, the Tank, Black Mage, White Mage, ranged attacker, etc. and let us control everyone. Plus keep the ability to switch the party in and out in battle. Just make it what it was, and then improve the story, graphics, world, and sheer scope of the game.

Extreme Poster
    1. Open worlds... Yes, this is a giant middle finger to the post FFX bandwagon jumpers
    *jumps up in joy*
    3. Writing.. These characters have been unbelievably one dimensional. I swear if wannabe surfer dude whom I cannot remember his name for the life of me right now said "I'm the hero" ONE MORE TIME in XIII, I was going to chunk my controller through my 50" HDTV.
    Oh God I remember that...I felt like murdering someone.

Naming a hopeless emo buttpuppet "Hope" was icing on the cake. These games have had the emotional impact of a Britney Spears CD played backwards. Vomit-inducing.
    lol buttpuppet. A fit description indeed.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis79 View Post
    Versus XIII is definitely not the answer either. It's less FF than XIII was. FF is not Kingdom Hearts, and an action-RPG is not what it should become. It needs to go back to the ATB system with a huge world, towns, airships/vehicles, and most importantly RANDOM ENCOUNTERS. Those were the crux of FF. That oh $#@! moment when you forgot to rest or save or hit up a save point and ran into something and had to make it through. Take X and improve on it. Bring back the Attacker, the Tank, Black Mage, White Mage, ranged attacker, etc. and let us control everyone. Plus keep the ability to switch the party in and out in battle. Just make it what it was, and then improve the story, graphics, world, and sheer scope of the game.
    The game looks very promising even with it's Kingdom Hearts based battle system. The only negative I had with the KH series is that Magic was practically useless(Except the healing spells). They should take some ideas from Lost Odyssey since they made every ability useful in a number of situations.

Thread Information