Using a UK PS3 in South Korea

Hello everyone,

I have brought my UK PS3 to South Korea to use in my spare time.

However, I notice that on Korean TVs, there is no red port for the red connector on the AV cable (the cable that links the PS3 to the TV). There are yellow and white ports for the yellow and white connectors, and they fit in no problem. My PS3 starts up OK, but I can only barely see the ghost of the startup 'dashboard' through loads of static and interference.

Can someone let me know what I should try doing? Do I need to buy some sort of adapter or cable here in Korea? Or is there a way for me to see the picture without needing the red connector?

Thanks alot for your help, please let me know if this is too confusing, and I'll try to explain it better!

JollySam

Dedicated Member
    I think I may have a clue as to what the problem 'may' be.

Firstly, the red connector on your AV cable has nothing to do with picture. The yellow connector is the one for the picture and the white and red are for audio left/right.

Now the crux of the problem. Korea uses the NTSC colour system and korean tv's are NTSC. You have a uk ps3 which is PAL. When people say that ps3 is region free, they miss the point. The PS3 games are region free but the ps3 itself is not. This is why when you load up the menu (dashboard) of your uk ps3 on korean tv , you are seeing static noise and interference since you are trying to feed a pal signal to a ntsc tv.

As far as korean voltage standards go, they are 220v , just like uk and europe, so you were fine on that count. If you had a u.s. ps3 (110v) and plugged it directly in 220v socket without an appropriate voltage converter, you would have blown up your ps3.

This is my best understanding of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    I think I may have a clue as to what the problem 'may' be.

Firstly, the red connector on your AV cable has nothing to do with picture. The yellow connector is the one for the picture and the white and red are for audio left/right.

Now the crux of the problem. Korea uses the NTSC colour system and korean tv's are NTSC. You have a uk ps3 which is PAL. When people say that ps3 is region free, they miss the point. The PS3 games are region free but the ps3 itself is not. This is why when you load up the menu (dashboard) of your uk ps3 on korean tv , you are seeing static noise and interference since you are trying to feed a pal signal to a ntsc tv.

As far as korean voltage standards go, they are 220v , just like uk and europe, so you were fine on that count. If you had a u.s. ps3 (110v) and plugged it directly in 220v socket without an appropriate voltage converter, you would have blown up your ps3.

This is my best understanding of the problem.
    OK, thanks alot. I think I understand. So I need to find a PAL TV in Korea, is that right? Or is there some kind of adapter I can use to link my PAL PS3 to a NTSC TV?

Thanks again.

Dedicated Member
    There is no 'adapter' that can convert a pal colour system to ntsc. Also, it may be hard to find a multi colour tv in korea but you could ask around.

Superior Member
    This may be a silly question, but if you can afford it can't you just buy an HD TV and use HDMI? I'm pretty sure that will work fine.

Your best bet is to shop around in the country. Somewhere there will always be (by some miracle) someone who will be able to provide you with a PAL TV. I used to have an NTSC console in South Africa when everything else in the country was PAL. Then I managed to track one down using the Junk Mail/Classifieds (I do not know if there is a similar mechanism in South Korea that you can use) with not much effort.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    There is no 'adapter' that can convert a pal colour system to ntsc. Also, it may be hard to find a multi colour tv in korea but you could ask around.
    Not true. When I was in Australia, I plugged my NTSC video camera to a PAL TV via an adapter. So they do exist. You won't be able to pick them up in Lotte Mart or E-mart (or even Highmart, most likely) so you'll need to special order it, OR just bite the bullet and buy an HDTV. HDTVs have standards based on resolution, and are universal other than the SD resolution. If you play a game that forces SD resolution, you STILL won't be able to play PAL games because the TV won't be able to handle PAL native resolution which is higher than NTSC but lower than the lowest HD resolution.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFUQ8wIwAg
    Last edited by bobtheduck; 12-23-2011 at 05:46.

Thread Information