PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Question for those that know: How good are the gamestop refurbished PlayStation 2s?

So earlier this year I noticed, for some reason, my PS2 phat has kicked the bucket (Spent a year or two in my TV stand in my room, took it out to play some PS2s games but it wont power up.) There is no light. Nothing. Got no clue whats up with it, and I noticed gamestop is selling phats for $29.99 and slims for $49.99.

I would like to, one day, replay my old games - such as Final Fantasy X and XII - but I'm curious just how good the gamestop refurb PS2s are. Do they last long?

(Noone around sells new PS2s anymore, sadly. Times like now I miss my phat PS3, but I didnt want the future hassles cause of my YLOD so I went slim.)

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Hard to judge, you can inspect it before you purchase right? Also they usually come with some sort of warranty.
    Like your PS3 I would not go for a phat model, just isn't worth it in the long run. I have a launch model slim that is still running like a dream but I do take amazing care of it.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

PSN ID
    VoteForSOCOM1HD
    From my experience...they tend to be in generally good shape. I usually buy used from Amazon or ebay and they work just as well.
    VOTE FOR SOCOM 1 HD. PLEASE! Click the link below, sign into your PSN Account, and click the green arrow. If you're really gonna go out of your way and log in just to click the red arrow...Don't bother.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com...26/socom-1-hd/

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Hard to judge, you can inspect it before you purchase right? Also they usually come with some sort of warranty.
    Like your PS3 I would not go for a phat model, just isn't worth it in the long run. I have a launch model slim that is still running like a dream but I do take amazing care of it.
    No idea if I can, I dont normally buy used consoles. Im generally against them. I surely wouldnt buy a phat console, far too old. Guess I'll run into gamestop and ask, maybe for all I know is I can test them in the shop or something.

Quote Originally Posted by VoteForSOCOM1HD View Post
    From my experience...they tend to be in generally good shape. I usually buy used from Amazon or ebay and they work just as well.
    amazon.ca is new: CDN$ 161.99, used: $ 107.77 + $4.99 - $ 129.95 + $4.99
    ebay.ca is $146.92 for new, $75 for refurb, $35 for used. But no warrant right? Eh.
    gamestop.ca is like $49.99 for slim, and I'm sure you get some sort of guarantee from them dont you?
    I'd rather not spend a lot, but I also dont want to be screwed over in a few months time - lol

Seems I waited a bit too long to check my PS2. PS2 slims are supposedly $59.99 new from gamestop, but they are not available anymore. Suckage.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    Ah, that sucks mate. I bought a new PS2 from gamestop about a year and a half ago, and it still runs pretty well. I bought one of the slim models, which should be pretty bulletproof. The phatties do have a wooly laser diode which runs out of juice after a while. Only get a phattie if you must have firewire for all 3 games which use it. Call around and see if someone still has a few lying around, say at a Wal Mart or Target. The refurbished ones can be hit or miss, I've seen what Gamestop calls "Refurbished," and its not like loving attention has been paid to the machines. Alternatively, check with Sony, they may be able to repair your PS2 for a fee. A third option would be to see if the only thing wrong is something simple like the power supply. Now, obviously, if the chips are burnt, you've had it, but it may just be a blown capacitor, which is easy to fix. I would recommend trying other avenues before buying used as you may quickly be in the same situation your in now. Also, I am not a fan of inheriting someone else's nasty console.
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

Apprentice
    ok listen up and listen good i can help you all dont buy fat decks.

Thread Information