Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items User name styleE3PS3 Slim

Should PSU change its Skyrim review score?

Weíve received some rather heated emails lately about our review of Skyrim. The basic argument is that we should drop the score because of the current issues some are experiencing. Iím curious what you guys think of this. I can tell you that from an editorial standpoint, we arenít going to change the score or our (I say our, but I wrote the review) comments based on our experience in the game. Are there problems? Of course. But do those problems mean we should drop the score? Well Iím curious what you all think.

A very basic reason we wonít change the score? Itís simple: we review the game for what it is, not what we want it to be, not what it could be, and not what it is six weeks, six months, or six years down the road. I mean, look at it the other way, should we raise the score of a game because six months a patch finally changed the core control problems we pointed out in a review? No, that would just be dumb.

That being said, I think those that have the PS3 version of Skyrim have reason to be mad, if only in that some are not able to enjoy one of the best games this generation. But, I donít believe itís this big malicious ordeal, and that people need to hate the game because of general bugs and some more serious issues for some. Iíve seen bugs and Iíve had my game crash a bit Ė nearly 100 hours in. I was talking today with one of our other reviewers, Steven, about this very topic, and we both laughed a bit because neither of us have reviewed a single game that didnít have bugsÖ heck, even Uncharted 3 had bugs. So, anyway, thatís long-winded, but Iím curious what you guys think. Oh, and as a final thought, I think people get worked up about scores far too muchÖ whether itís a half a point to high or too low, or some believe a certain game deserve a 5 or a 7 or a perfect scoreÖ man, eventually that stuff just rolls off us because we know weíll never make everyone happyÖ heck, our job isnít to make people happy in our reviews, itís to inform. (sorry, little rant there)

2. Likes Tim Nunes likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A review needs to be based on what the reviewer experienced, not what some people with technical issues are experiencing. However, there are some very justified complaints for some very legitimate issues. It should be noted, harshly, in the review, but it shouldn't affect the score.

That said, my opinion isn't worth much. I think the number system in reviews is silly to begin with. I believe a review should contain the reviewer's play experience, and notable pros and cons of the game. That's it. Let the reader absorb that information and make their own choice.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Sage
    I don't think you should. Once a sore is set it should be set permanently.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    A review needs to be based on what the reviewer experienced, not what some people with technical issues are experiencing. However, there are some very justified complaints for some very legitimate issues. It should be noted, harshly, in the review, but it shouldn't affect the score.

That said, my opinion isn't worth much. I think the number system in reviews is silly to begin with. I believe a review should contain the reviewer's play experience, and notable pros and cons of the game. That's it. Let the reader absorb that information and make their own choice.
    We have gone back and forth with the idea of dropping the scoring system, but I think the argument is that a lot of people don't actually read the reviews, they only read the snip its, which means we have to sum it up it two sentences and three pros/cons and a score. Honestly, we could easily reconsider this idea if we get enough feedback for dropping the scoring system. I think it would drop our metacritic presence, but we could look into that some more.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    CrazyShady
    Items User name style
    I dont think the score should be changed. It's an outlier in the gaming industry, where a game's faults show up almost 60+ hrs into the game, and only for some gamers. Game reviewers should be able to play a game in its entirety (or at least, most of it) before writing a review, but with a game like Skyrim that is pretty much impossible. With that being said, a reviewer could never possibly guess that after playing 40+ hrs of Skyrim and writing the review of it, that the game would begin to break like we all have seen. I'm a huge fan of having a reviewer play the game in it's entirety, even if it means that the game's review is released later than planned. Still, the score from a review is purely subjective, from that reviewers experience of the game, so there is no reason for the score to be changed.

PSN: CrazyShady GAMERTAG: CrazyShady44
    PS4 | PS Vita| Xbox 360 | PS3

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyShady View Post
    I dont think the score should be changed. It's an outlier in the gaming industry, where a game's faults show up almost 60+ hrs into the game, and only for some gamers. Game reviewers should be able to play a game in its entirety (or at least, most of it) before writing a review, but with a game like Skyrim that is pretty much impossible. With that being said, a reviewer could never possibly guess that after playing 40+ hrs of Skyrim and writing the review of it, that the game would begin to break like we all have seen. I'm a huge fan of having a reviewer play the game in it's entirety, even if it means that the game's review is released later than planned. Still, the score from a review is purely subjective, from that reviewers experience of the game, so there is no reason for the score to be changed.
    We do that for games that we can, like an action/adventure game. Sports games, for example, are endless, and racing games fall into this category, too. I spent 50 hours and finished the main quest before writing the review.

This is interesting feedback so far.

8. Likes Tim Nunes likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by adamdolge View Post
    I think it would drop our metacritic presence, but we could look into that some more.
    I'm pretty sure they make up their own score based on the content and tone of your review, but you should probably check with them first before making that decision. It would definitely hurt us if we're taken off Metacritic.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    CrazyShady
    Items User name style
    We do that for games that we can, like an action/adventure game. Sports games, for example, are endless, and racing games fall into this category, too. I spent 50 hours and finished the main quest before writing the review.

This is interesting feedback so far.
    Exactly. Theres no way that you could have experienced all the problems gamers are talking about with Skyrim after FIFTY hours of gameplay. If you didn't experience it theres no way of you to assume that there will be problems, therefore the score you gave it was based on what you experienced and that shouldn't change.

PSN: CrazyShady GAMERTAG: CrazyShady44
    PS4 | PS Vita| Xbox 360 | PS3

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    They absolutely will assign a score if one isn't given. It's on their site. No, you shouldn't adjust YOUR score based on users opinions. That's what makes it YOUR score. I think the review would lose all credibility if you succumbed to the users complaints about your experience with a game.

KarbineFTW
    Items PlayStation
    It shouldn't change at all, I personally have experienced only one minor problem. Its not a broken game at all. It is a brilliant game,
    I've racked up 50+ hours and I'm still loving it.
    Steam - [UK]Tom1525
    Nobody Ever Reps Back

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    They absolutely will assign a score if one isn't given. It's on their site. No, you shouldn't adjust YOUR score based on users opinions. That's what makes it YOUR score. I think the review would lose all credibility if you succumbed to the users complaints about your experience with a game.
    Amen. Part of the reason I started this thread is because I felt crazy responding to emails and trying to explain this, and I didn't write a news post about it, I figured the community would mostly share my opinion of not changing scores.

Super Elite
    From what I've been reading the broken aspects of the game are a matter of when, not if but if you didn't get them after what I'd say is a decent enough length of time then... well why change your experience?
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I've noticed a similar article elsewhere regarding Skyrim's score. It seems that a lot of people aren't happy about the problems they're experiencing.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    don't change anything. it is not your fault some people are being overly $#@!y about a few issues that arent gamebreaking

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    don't change anything. it is not your fault some people are being overly $#@!y about a few issues that arent gamebreaking
    Couldn't agree more! Zero FPS is still more then enough to enjoy a game right... right?
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    i can't believe you even posted a thread questioning your own review score...the experience you had is what drove your score...it's YOURS.

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    glad i got this for the PC, only experienced the arrow glitch in the face and stuff and that was fixed by just getting hit by arrows in First person mode.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Is all the game breaking $#@! in the consoles then ?

Probably a premature statement but

Pc gaming master race
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    i can't believe you even posted a thread questioning your own review score...the experience you had is what drove your score...it's YOURS.

I only did because of the random emails we've been getting about it, and some rather $#@!ish demands. It's almost like there's a campaign to try and get people to believe Bethesda was being malicious towards the PS3. Plus, I just wanted to know what you guys thought on the subject in general.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I only did because of the random emails we've been getting about it, and some rather $#@!ish demands. It's almost like there's a campaign to try and get people to believe Bethesda was being malicious towards the PS3. Plus, I just wanted to know what you guys thought on the subject in general.
    fair enough. :beer:

Dedicated Member

They should change it to a 10, as 9.5 is way too low.

Best game of this generation if you ask me, and yes, I'm playing the PS3 version, with 9MB save file so far.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-08-2011 at 02:22.

24. Likes adamdolge likes this post
    The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Pointless, it would have to be changed again once the major bugs are fixed.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Great game....but the bugs are just uhhh... they make it look worse than what it should be. I love the game....but I just don't see a GOTY here. Muddy textures....glitches galore....stupid A.I....guess you really really REALLY have to love it to look past all the eye sores and random freezes.

I say, don't reward developers for unfinished games released.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

27. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post

Correct. However I think the reviewer, especially in a game like Skryim (or any Bethesda title) should have played the game long enough to experience some of the bugs. If for no other reason because the game is huge and to review it requires more than the typical amount invested in most games.. And also because, well, Bethesda has a history with this sort of thing.

I know that on the PC I've encountered quite a few, many of which became known to me within my first 4-5 hours of playing. I have my doubts that the PS3 version has fared better- given the outcry it seems worse.

Did you PSU reviewers not experience any significant issues with your PS3 version? At all? IF that is the case then your review is justified. IF you did get a ton of bugs but omitted it than I feel it would behoove you to justify your score and why you've ignored them.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    This game deserves a high score. It will look foolish to lower the score of the game that is going to win the Spike GOTY award.

Thread Information