Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I am confused. The Xbox 360 sold 960,000 units and the PS3 sold 900,000 units. Where are people getting the numbers that the Xbox 360 sold twice as much as PS3?
    The X sold 1.7m courtesy of Greenburgs Tweets.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    The X sold 1.7m courtesy of Greenburgs Tweets.
    is that world wide or just NA?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Thing is 900K is the estimate, they could be well over 1 mil.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriel View Post
    is that world wide or just NA?
    Post #25, it's NA only.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Sony has been closing the gap so either way they're doing great. Their momentum right now is much stronger than their competition combined. I don't think they need anything else...other than try to bring down the price tag.
    They are doing great but they still haven't managed to slow down the competition yet. I really don't know what else they can do at this point.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Just keep bringing awesome games

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Thanks for clearing it up, F3AR.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

8. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Overseer

Oh, got ya. Dam Hdd

I won't point out the obvious flaw in his theory, which involves kinect tie in.

Anyone trying to suggest that the PS3 has the higher average price is dreaming.
    ok. maybe it's getting closer now but I'm not talking about now, am i?

Did you forget how expensive PS3 was up until recently in your country?

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    They are doing great but they still haven't managed to slow down the competition yet. I really don't know what else they can do at this point.
    Why would they need to slow down the competition? lol.

What is MS doing to "slow down" the competition?

Seems to me everyone except Wii is doing better.

They're pumping out amazing games, they're doing better than before and have been closing the gap...what else do you want? Take out MS factories so they can't make more consoles? lol.
    Last edited by Omar; 12-10-2011 at 23:21.

10. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The 360 sold that in 24hrs. The PS3 sold that ALL MONTH.
    So, based on that, black friday really helped push the X360 past the PS3. Since without the black friday sales the X360 would be at 740,000.

We can also say that black friday didn't really help the PS3 or depending on PS3's black friday numbers, the PS3's number totals would have been lower?

....but since Sony aren't releasing those.....maybe they didn't do as well on black friday...and just had a good November?

Not really surprising then, you had the 4GB X360 with Kinect bundle for $199.99 and you also had the 250GB bundle with two games for $199.99. When the PS3 only had one bundle for $199.99 with two games.

Was Microsoft also selling the core version this black friday without Kinect? and how much was that? $99?

I do remember reading an article before black friday numbers released for the X360 that put the PS3 at 750,000 so it is also possible that the two consoles were tied up until black friday...
    Last edited by sainraja; 12-10-2011 at 23:34.

Elite Sage
    Why would they need to slow down the competition? lol.

What is MS doing to "slow down" the competition?

Seems to me everyone except Wii is doing better.

They're pumping out amazing games, they're doing better than before and have been closing the gap...what else do you want? Take out MS factories so they can't make more consoles? lol.
    So basically they can do nothing to stop the competition's momentum?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    ok. maybe it's getting closer now but I'm not talking about now, am i?

Did you forget how expensive PS3 was up until recently in your country?

What do you mean was, its still expensive here.
    And anyway arent we discussing the US of A?

Forum Overseer

So basically they can do nothing to stop the competition's momentum?
    What momentum? Sony has more momentum than anyone else right now. I'm speaking about games. As far as sales worldwide, Sony still has the momentum because Nintendo is going downwards and not coming out with any new hot games, a similar situation with MS...while they're doing well in sales, there's still no indication if they're widening the gap worldwide and they definitely don't have as large of a momentum with their development scene.

It's MS that needs to stop Sony's momentum, not the other way around.

What exclusives are you looking forward to on the 360 next year?
    What do you mean was, its still expensive here.
    And anyway arent we discussing the US of A?
    Well my initial reply was to a generic statement which said "competition drives sales", so I mentioned that they're doing great as far as sales, they're closing the gap and their next step is to focus on price.

I know this is about USA but the success of a console would make more sense worldwide, not just in one region. So the discussion fits the post that I replied to.

And actually PS3 has been more expensive in the US too until the new price drop.

Elite Sage
    What momentum? Sony has more momentum than anyone else right now. I'm speaking about games. As far as sales worldwide, Sony still has the momentum because Nintendo is going downwards and not coming out with any new hot games, a similar situation with MS...while they're doing well in sales, there's still no indication if they're widening the gap worldwide and they definitely don't have as large of a momentum with their development scene.

It's MS that needs to stop Sony's momentum, not the other way around.

I was speaking about the U.S. market only. The competition has had the edge at retail for the whole year. This has to be a concern because of the significance of the U.S. market. There is a wider gap between Xbox and PS3 than there is between wii and xbox. For them to be basically nonexistent last gen to pulling these types of numbers has to be of a concern to Sony.

What exclusives are you looking forward to on the 360 next year?
    Don't wanna start listing but there are about 5 on my list right now. I'm sure as the year approaches that list will grow a bit.

Forum Overseer

I was speaking about the U.S. market only. The competition has had the edge at retail for the whole year. This has to be a concern because of the significance of the U.S. market. There is a wider gap between Xbox and PS3 than there is between wii and xbox. For them to be basically nonexistent last gen to pulling these types of numbers has to be of a concern to Sony.
    So you were talking about US only and this year only? lol. What a great way to look at things as a whole.

I'm pretty sure the overall gap between 360 and Wii is still larger in total US sales.

I mean, if you're going to make comments about a console's success, you can't just look at one region or country.

There's probably nothing Sony can do in US until MS just runs out of steam, which is likely. Just as nothing MS can do about Sony coming out with dozens of quality (non-mini-game) exclusives each year and keeping their core happy.

Don't wanna start listing but there are about 5 on my list right now. I'm sure as the year approaches that list will grow a bit.
    Trust me, you won't see a list from my side, I just wanted you to realize MS' momentum.

I'd still love to know what titles you're getting.

Elite Sage
    So you were talking about US only and this year only? lol. What a great way to look at things as a whole.
    Well, the thread is mainly about US sales.

I'm pretty sure the overall gap between 360 and Wii is still larger in total US sales.
    There is only a 7 million gap between wii and xbox. The gap is about 11 million between PS3 and xbox.

I mean, if you're going to make comments about a console's success, you can't just look at one region or country.
    True, the same goes for the amount of exclusives.

There's probably nothing Sony can do in US until MS just runs out of steam, which is likely. Just as nothing MS can do about Sony coming out with dozens of quality (non-mini-game) exclusives each year and keeping their core happy.
    Yep, and vice-versa. The numbers speak for themselves.

Forum Overseer

Well, the thread is mainly about US sales.
    Yes, I know but your original comment was not only relevant to US sales. Your original comment was that "competition drives sales". You were implying that Sony is in trouble, I'm simply saying they're not. Just as Sony is low in some territories, so is MS...the overall difference is negligible...I don't see the concern.

There is only a 7 million gap between wii and xbox. The gap is about 11 million between PS3 and xbox.
    My mistake, I'm not big on sales, I just checked this out myself on vgchartz, even if not accurate completely, they generally give you a rough guess. I didn't realize Wii only sold around 48mil.
    True, the same goes for the amount of exclusives.
    What are you saying here?

Yep, and vice-versa. The numbers speak for themselves.
    A good portion of the numbers come from the birth of Kinect.

Elite Sage
    Yes, I know but your original comment was not only relevant to US sales. Your original comment was that "competition drives sales". You were implying that Sony is in trouble, I'm simply saying they're not. Just as Sony is low in some territories, so is MS...the overall difference is negligible...I don't see the concern.
    Don't know how you came up with that. I actually said Sony is doing great.

What are you saying here?
    You were implying that there were a lack of games next year. So if you are gonna comment about success the same can be said about the amount of1st party exclusives.

A good portion of the numbers come from the birth of Kinect.
    Of course.... that's was their whole plan. A good portion were also consoles.

Forum Overseer

Don't know how you came up with that. I actually said Sony is doing great.
    Yes, however, that also came with a "but" which included that they somehow need to "slow down" the competition and that this should be a concern to Sony.

I think the economy is a bigger concern to both of these companies than each other at the moment.

You were implying that there were a lack of games next year. So if you are gonna comment about success the same can be said about the amount of1st party exclusives.
    I got that part...but what exactly are you talking about? What part of the picture am I missing here?

Are they not lacking exclusives coming out next year compared to Sony?

Of course.... that's was their whole plan. A good portion were also consoles.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. A good portion of these hardware sales are from the introduction of Kinect. Before that, they were starting trends of troubled sales (even in the US) due to relative lack of new exclusives.

Elite Sage
    Yes, however, that also came with a "but" which included that they somehow need to "slow down" the competition and that this should be a concern to Sony.
    They haven't managed to slow down the competition. That still doesn't imply that they are in trouble.

I think the economy is a bigger concern to both of these companies than each other at the moment.
    Sure

I got that part...but what exactly are you talking about? What part of the picture am I missing here?

Are they not lacking exclusives coming out next year compared to Sony?
    Not at all to me.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. A good portion of these hardware sales are from the introduction of Kinect. Before that, they were starting trends of troubled sales (even in the US) due to relative lack of new exclusives.
    Id love to see proof of that one...lol

Forum Overseer

They haven't managed to slow down the competition. That still doesn't imply that they are in trouble.
    Being a concern, not being able to do anything about a situation implies trouble.

If you wanna play the word game then I can take that out, you're still left with negative comments...Sony should be concerned, not being able to do anything about their situation in US.

Not at all to me.
    Ok...I see you've tried to word it cleverly. "To you" I supposed their momentum is just as good as Sony's. Ok, tell us which games you're talking about? Why ignore that question? Will your selection look silly? Of course not, MS has momentum.

Id love to see proof of that one...lol
    Did you forget the state of 360 right before the launch of Kinect? You just want me to waste my time.

Elite Sage
    Being a concern, not being able to do anything about a situation implies trouble.

If you wanna play the word game then I can take that out, you're still left with negative comments...Sony should be concerned, not being able to do anything about their situation in US.
    I don't think I said anything negative. I think its just the way you took it.

Ok...I see you've tried to word it cleverly. "To you" I supposed their momentum is just as good as Sony's. Ok, tell us which games you're talking about? Why ignore that question? Will your selection look silly? Of course not, MS has momentum.
    There are plenty exclusives next year for both consoles. I really don't care how many. I want games i wanna play. I don't wanna start listing theme because the thread isn't about that.

Did you forget the state of 360 right before the launch of Kinect? You just want me to waste my time.
    Apparently, so enlighten me. Remember, you're not that big on sales.

Forum Overseer

I don't think I said anything negative. I think its just the way you took it.

Ok fine.

There are plenty exclusives next year for both consoles. I really don't care how many. I want games i wanna play. I don't wanna start listing theme because the thread isn't about that.
    I like that spin.

Apparently, so enlighten me. Remember, you're not that big on sales.
    You're right, I'm not. But I remember the sales during that period. If I had access to sales during the past year, I'd give you proof. Maybe it's in the 360's sales thread. If you have it, post it here, or I'll look it up and show you that way.

Elite Sage

You're right, I'm not. But I remember the sales during that period. If I had access to sales during the past year, I'd give you proof. Maybe it's in the 360's sales thread. If you have it, post it here, or I'll look it up and show you that way.
    I won't post xbox numbers because this is a PS3 topic, But I will tell you that you are wrong. It was selling well before kinect came along.

REDMOND, Wash. — May 28, 2009 — Microsoft Corp. announced today that sales of Xbox 360 consoles have passed the 30 million mark globally, with its Xbox LIVE community swelling to more than 20 million active members. After the biggest year in its history in 2008, Xbox 360 achieved the highest percentage growth in hardware sales of any console so far in 2009, up 28 percent over the previous year.1

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...xGrowthPR.mspx
    so now tell me what's your version of the state of the 360 before kinect. Just because Kinect gave it a boost doesn't mean it wasn't selling.

Forum Overseer

I won't post xbox numbers because this is a PS3 topic, But I will tell you that you are wrong. It was selling well before kinect came along.

so now tell me what's your version of the state of the 360 before kinect. Just because Kinect gave it a boost doesn't mean it wasn't selling.
    Yea except you're talking about 2008.

What about that 2 year gap in between?

Well fear not, I have all the answers!

here's a rough little chart.

Figured it'd be inthe ballpark since it's old data. Taken from VGchartz.

360 had 4.41 mil in US. PS3 had 0.77

360 had 5.06. PS3 = 2.84

360 = 5.64 PS3 = 4.11

360 = 5.56 PS3 = 4.96

2010 (when Kinect came out)

360 = 8.31 PS3 = 5.54

Surprisingly, 360's exclusives dropped the most in 2010 as well as 2011 and barely any sign of any in 2012.

At the same time, when Kinect comes out, it sells 8 million and it's bringing in casuals (a new market).

360's hardware sales increased despite having low count of games coming out for it (which obviously showed signs of saturation because it virtually stopped growing y-o-y)....HMMM, do I have to be a genius to relate Kinect's success to 360's unusual increase in sales?

Oh no no, that's right, it must be that plethora of exclusives coming out next year that you were talking about.

http://www.vgchartz.com/hw_annual_summary.php

27. Likes TwentyThree likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Yea except you're talking about 2008.

What about that 2 year gap in between?

Well fear not, I have all the answers!

here's a rough little chart.

Figured it'd be inthe ballpark since it's old data. Taken from VGchartz.

360 had 4.41 mil in US. PS3 had 0.77

360 had 5.06. PS3 = 2.84

360 = 5.64 PS3 = 4.11

360 = 5.56 PS3 = 4.96

2010 (when Kinect came out)

360 = 8.31 PS3 = 5.54

Surprisingly, 360's exclusives dropped the most in 2010 as well as 2011 and barely any sign of any in 2012.

At the same time, when Kinect comes out, it sells 8 million and it's bringing in casuals (a new market).

360's hardware sales increased despite having low count of games coming out for it (which obviously showed signs of saturation because it virtually stopped growing y-o-y)....HMMM, do I have to be a genius to relate Kinect's success to 360's unusual increase in sales?

Oh no no, that's right, it must be that plethora of exclusives coming out next year that you were talking about.

http://www.vgchartz.com/hw_annual_summary.php

lol... those numbers are off. Even with those flawed ones you posted it still shows that the console was selling well before Kinect. Like I said before Kinect just gave it more of a boost. Even before kinect it was still doing great in the US market.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 12-11-2011 at 07:36.

Thread Information