Master Poster

My console bit the dust. Can anything help?

So the situation is this:
    Blinking red lights.

I have:
    -an inoperable console
    -tried the hairdryer fix, and it worked for 2 secs, in which time I got the Skyrim disc out
    -A backup file on my computer

Is the backup any use? It'd make sense just to swap the HDDs or put the backup into the new PS3, but it doesn't work, I guess? I guess you'd have to put the backup to the same console on which the backup was originally made on.

Am I simply out of luck or is there a way?
    "The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."

Forum Overseer

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If you backed up all the data the official way (through your PS3) then it will be of use. You can recover all of your save data on your new PS3

Is there something in the PS3 water?!?!

adierolfe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmythehill View Post
    Is there something in the PS3 water?!?!
    I'm still running the launch 60gb. Can't be many left now.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Yeah theres been like 4 reports in the past couple of days.

Anyway you made a backup and got your disc out, might as well sell it as broken and get a Slim. You're pretty lucky you made a backup, I lost hundreds of hours from Fallout 3 when mine died. Luckily I pretty much already finished the game 100% (trophy wise).

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Quote Originally Posted by adierolfe View Post
    I'm still running the launch 60gb. Can't be many left now.
    So was I until friday night

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    The $#@! thing is that half the save files for games are locked to the console so you can't back them all up.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Poster
    Well, should've been more accurate. The backup is from 2010 and I have ONE single Skyrim save file from like 10 hours into the game, I had initially promised myself to back it up every couple of days to a memory stick.... turns out I didn't. I had already tapped some 50 hours into maxing my Smithing and Illusion etc... So I did lose much progress, too But, at least some old save games I have on the backup(for ex. my 270 hrs of Oblivion!).

But now I know what to do. I'll fix that $#@! on a local console repairer who will renew the thermal pastes of the RSX and CELL and reinforce the solders of the motherboard.
    Yeah, and it was a Launch 60gb(though changed it into a 500 gig drive! )

There ain't many left.

P.S. I'm sure as hell buying Playstation Plus after this, 50 isn't a big price for all those additional content + save game files always being safe. Pretty soon probably buying the Classic White version of the console from Gamestop. And then do the system transfer between the two consoles.

But the really hard question is this; should I sell the 60 gb and buy a new one? The YLOD can strike anytime again, but then again if it has properly been fixed, would it last for years to come? The 60 gigger after all IS the best PS3 there has been(I use the 4 USB ports and memory card readers quite often TBH). I could probably try to go on with it as long as I can, just if I remember to do a complete backup every month and make sure I always upload save files to the PS Plus Cloud.

Hmm. All this puzzles me

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    The $#@! thing is that half the save files for games are locked to the console so you can't back them all up.
    What are you saying?
    Are you saying that if the hairdryer "trick" works for me tomorrow and I attempt to back up my PS3 on an external harddrive (my 320GB iPod Classic) that not all my game saves will back up?

Master Poster
    What are you saying?
    Are you saying that if the hairdryer "trick" works for me tomorrow and I attempt to back up my PS3 on an external harddrive (my 320GB iPod Classic) that not all my game saves will back up?
    The FULL system backup will backup everything. But some save games you can't just copy to a USB drive(though most you can).

I'd recommend, if you get it running, to do the system transfer to your new PS3 if you're getting one.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    If you do the full transfer it will back up all the locked saves but considering that takes hours for some reason, you might want to just do them one by one first then try the transfer, otherwise it'll just cut out half way through.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Poster
    What are you saying?
    The FULL system backup will backup everything. But some save games you can't just copy to a USB drive(though most you can).

I'd recommend, if you get it running, first to backup the most vital files(for ex. the first I'll do thing when I get mine repaired, is to rescue the last Skyrim save) and when the most crucial files are saved, system transfer the whole console to your new PS3 (that is if you're getting one).

Quote Originally Posted by [velocity] View Post

I'd recommend, if you get it running, first to backup the most vital files(for ex. the first I'll do thing when I get mine repaired, is to rescue the last Skyrim save) and when the most crucial files are saved, system transfer the whole console to your new PS3 (that is if you're getting one).
    I would just like to inform everyone that the hairdryer trick did in fact work for me!

Placed the PS3 upside down in it's box with the rear vents next to the open box lid.
    Then, 15-20mins with the hair dryer on full heat (held approx' 2" away from the vents and strafed from side to side so all the rear vents were getting the heat.
    Once this time was up, I swapped the hairdryer for a fan, and left that on for approx' an hour, so to cool the PS3 completely.
    Once this was done, reconnected the PS3 to the power supply lead and hdmi cable and pressed the eject button (as my Uncharted game was stuck in the PS3).

Hey presto, she's working...

I have now done a back up to an external drive, which took 1hr 13mins, with no problems of YLOD. I have no switched the PS3 off with the intention of doing a console2console full transfer when I purchase a new PS3 post Christmas.

Master Poster
    I'm getting my console repaired at a local service. They're gonna properly reball the system. It would probably work a long time since they will professionally reball it, not just heat gun or any cheap tricks. But still I'm changing for a new Slim with 3 year warranty plan(price with warranty plan is only 289€) and doing a full system transfer.

I want to play Skyrim already!!!

Thread Information