Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    You know, this forum doesn't have enough thread makers. We need to encourage people to make threads and others to reply to the threads.

Also, this site needs something more . . . interactive. The giveaways, contests and things like PSU Write army are good, but it needs something else. The old forum I was at had a BIG RPG game and whenever members posted, they got money. It needs something big and fun.

I have a question: is it wise to add new things to a site as it becomes more active, or do you add things to make it more active? I have an idea, and I guess you could say it's shooting in the dark.

Why not have a gamer profile like some other sites? It could list all the games, systems, and etc a person has.
    I am, and always have been, wary of adding new things to a site in order to increase activity. In my opinion, adding things such as games takes the focus away from the discussion and towards the game. I realize that such games would be fueled by the discussion, but more and more often such things seem like a shift away from a discussion to something else. We're on this forum because we want to discuss games. We don't come here to play games. I don't, at least.

I'm not saying the idea is a bad one. In terms of increasing activity, it's a damn good one. But I'm wary of the forum moving in that direction, a concern I tend to be alone on.

As for your second idea, I like it. We don't want to become too much like Playfire, though, unless we're sure that we can outdo them in terms of what we do. We would need to make sure that the transition is smooth, though. We don't want another catastrophic vB4 upgrade-like situation.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I agree with you about adding a game to the forum. I wasn't really suggesting doing that, but using the game as an example.

I am glad you like the gamer profile idea.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Elite Member
    I just don't think there is enough content to keep new users busy. This forum is kind of boring I'm only entertained when I argue with fear. I think it would be cool to start a psu clan something like gtplanet has. Car forums like my8thgen vwvortex ect they have a communtiy vibe I think that if we start from there you will see more people who join stay. Then naturally content will flow into this site because it will give gamers a home no matter what games they play. I don't think we get as much coverage for specific games like other sites do, we only section off the most popular games.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

4. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I see newcomers come and go on this site and forums. They register, post a bit, and then don't blossom into active members. Why is this?
    because more than half of those members account are from engage.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by hood View Post
    I just don't think there is enough content to keep new users busy. This forum is kind of boring I'm only entertained when I argue with fear. I think it would be cool to start a psu clan something like gtplanet has. Car forums like my8thgen vwvortex ect they have a communtiy vibe I think that if we start from there you will see more people who join stay. Then naturally content will flow into this site because it will give gamers a home no matter what games they play. I don't think we get as much coverage for specific games like other sites do, we only section off the most popular games.

I definitely agree with this post. That's the reason why I made a thread about making a newbie section where they could post intro threads and read important stickies.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

i work 5 days a week kids/wife sometimes you have so much going on you forget .the one thing i don't like is when you start your own question every time you respond it counts so when you look at responces you may go back and forth with one person and it will say you have 20 replies you will think you have 20 different responces from people but its only you and one other person. is there a way that you can be alerted by email or text when some one respond to your questions it keeps you involved, interested more traffic and faster responce to questions

AnimeMario
    I've been visiting this site and forum for a couple years now, and even though I made an account like a year ago I haven't got round to posting much. I can't speak for every newcomer like me but I think it's due to lack of familiarity to the whole thing. This is the first forum I've signed up to with the intention of posting and having discussions, but I just don't know where to start.
    Do I introduce myself?
    Do I make a thread about something?
    Or do I just jump straight into a discussion?
    I don't think the existing members are a problem, no one is rude or anything but to newcomers like me it still feels a bit intimidating.

9. Likes Steve , Agriel likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimeMario View Post
    I've been visiting this site and forum for a couple years now, and even though I made an account like a year ago I haven't got round to posting much. I can't speak for every newcomer like me but I think it's due to lack of familiarity to the whole thing. This is the first forum I've signed up to with the intention of posting and having discussions, but I just don't know where to start.
    Do I introduce myself?
    Do I make a thread about something?
    Or do I just jump straight into a discussion?
    I don't think the existing members are a problem, no one is rude or anything but to newcomers like me it still feels a bit intimidating.
    Everyone was new at some point. Just jump right in with both feet. Do all the above... Intro yourself in the intro thread. Create a thread about an idea or discussion that interests you; or if that's already made, join in the discussion.

AnimeMario
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Everyone was new at some point. Just jump right in with both feet. Do all the above... Intro yourself in the intro thread. Create a thread about an idea or discussion that interests you; or if that's already made, join in the discussion.
    Ok thanks, i'll do that.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Usually its just PS3 fans being punished.
    Maybe the PS3 fans need to stop posting with the impression that they can get away with anything simply because they're posting on a PlayStation-centric website. I don't know if you guys have noticed but other sections of the forums like the Nintendo and PC section are pretty much dead and it's a damn shame. You are only driving the rest of the community away when you try and convince others that this website belongs to a specific group of people.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Maybe the PS3 fans need to stop posting with the impression that they can get away with anything simply because they're posting on a PlayStation-centric website. I don't know if you guys have noticed but other sections of the forums like the Nintendo and PC section are pretty much dead and it's a damn shame. You are only driving the rest of the community away when you try and convince others that this website belongs to a specific group of people.
    +rep /applause

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Yeah it hurts the multi plat people, especially when they want to talk about a game on that system and get trolled.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

15. Likes F34R likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerty2 View Post
    i work 5 days a week kids/wife sometimes you have so much going on you forget .the one thing i don't like is when you start your own question every time you respond it counts so when you look at responces you may go back and forth with one person and it will say you have 20 replies you will think you have 20 different responces from people but its only you and one other person. is there a way that you can be alerted by email or text when some one respond to your questions it keeps you involved, interested more traffic and faster responce to questions
    I hope you post more often. I like your avatar.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

17. Likes F34R , Ixion , Agriel likes this post
    Super Elite
    Items User name style
    You sir, are absolutely correct. Even if this forum is mainly for PS3 owners, everybody should be welcome to join. That's why the other sections are here to begin with.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    I think the main problem is that the new members don't fell welcome here and the older members, no offences, don't do much much to help that. Even I faced the same problem in the beginning and just browsed through the threads instead of posting in them because I always thought that some older member, who has more knowledge/experience than me in gaming, would tell me to shut the $#@! up.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    I think the main problem is that the new members don't fell welcome here and the older members, no offences, don't do much much to help that. Even I faced the same problem in the beginning and just browsed through the threads instead of posting in them because I always thought that some older member, who has more knowledge/experience than me in gaming, would tell me to shut the $#@! up.
    Shut the $#@! up, you don't know why the community is leaving.

World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelios View Post
    Shut the $#@! up, you don't know why the community is leaving.

You justified what I said though.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Is it safe to assume that 'most' people that do register on this forum are PS3 gamers? If so, then I'd have to say that the 'atmosphere' in quite a lot of the threads (especially as of late) arent very attractive for any newcomer (ps3 gamer?) to freely discuss in. Puts me off, atleast

People also derail threads a lot with the usual $#@!, atleast in the ps3 discussion section

23. Likes Two4DaMoney , Kauldron likes this post
    adierolfe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Is it safe to assume that 'most' people that do register on this forum are PS3 gamers? If so, then I'd have to say that the 'atmosphere' in quite a lot of the threads (especially as of late) arent very attractive for any newcomer (ps3 gamer?) to freely discuss in. Puts me off, atleast

People also derail threads a lot with the usual $#@!, atleast in the ps3 discussion section
    This.

Personally, I joined for PS chat. However at the minute there's more chat about xbox/PC. Plus not many to choose from using tapatalk.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Quote Originally Posted by adierolfe View Post
    This.

Personally, I joined for PS chat. However at the minute there's more chat about xbox/PC. Plus not many to choose from using tapatalk.
    This forum is not exclusively for PS gamers. There are a lot of people who own more than one console and would love to have a respectable discussion about the other consoles that they are in possession of. That does not mean that they do not belong here or that they should go look for some exclusive forums for their consoles.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    You justified what I said though.
    Oh come on, you know it was bound to happen haha.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelios View Post
    Oh come on, you know it was bound to happen haha.
    Has always been happening. Ever since I told Google chrome to 'remember my password for PSU.com'.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    My take on this is pretty simple and has been said before.

Our threads are hostile to the point where people don't want to jump in because we have too many members who are more worried about attacking each other and towing the company line than they are about engaging in active discussion.

We are adding new features and forum stuff in order to make the site more attractive to potential new members. Sad thing is, established members usually reject these things, so visitors see this as disorder and probably don't want to stick it out. They don't realize we are growing as a site, and such going through some growing pains, but to them it just seems like things are broken and in a state of argument.

I will keep an eye on this thread, as there is some good discussion here!
    LMAO

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    My take on this is pretty simple and has been said before.

Our threads are hostile to the point where people don't want to jump in because we have too many members who are more worried about attacking each other and towing the company line than they are about engaging in active discussion.

We are adding new features and forum stuff in order to make the site more attractive to potential new members. Sad thing is, established members usually reject these things, so visitors see this as disorder and probably don't want to stick it out. They don't realize we are growing as a site, and such going through some growing pains, but to them it just seems like things are broken and in a state of argument.

I will keep an eye on this thread, as there is some good discussion here!
    Many congratulations, you just solved this thread!

EDIT : What's with this 'are you sure you wan't to leave this page' ?
    Must be the double post cause

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    I attack old members just as much as new members, no discrimination from me.

Also... $#@! the Xbox!!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Thread Information