Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Blaming the entirety of the PS3 fan base? No, I don't believe there's a consensus on that at all. To blame an entire group of people is, for obvious reasons, ridiculous. It's also silly to keep breaking up the community between 360 and PS3 fans, when a great deal of the community, myself included, owns and loves both consoles. To refer to the community as though it is divided into two does absolutely no good, and only creates an even larger gap.

The 360 section needs PS3 users just as PSU needs 360 users. Without one another, there really is very little debate to be had. Having a variety of opinions on the forum is what makes things interesting around here. It makes for some of the greatest debates this forum has ever seen, and provides an experience for our users that not many places can give. We are blessed with an array of highly knowledgable users concerning a variety of subjects about the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

The problem is not that we discuss both consoles here, or that one group is being oppressed and the other an advantage. I understand that sometimes, the way reports are handled may make it seem as though certain groups are being given an advantage, but I'm sure the staff will back me up in saying that if there is any "trend", it is merely a coincidence. The staff does not have an agenda to weed out certain groups of people by any means.

The problem here is that often times, certain users aren't mature enough to handle a debate. They start getting personal, and things get out of control and the staff is left with no reason but to intervene. We can't go pointing fingers at one another, as that's not going to solve the problem but instead make it worse.

At the end of the day, fixing the issue concerning newer users is something that can be fixed easily: think before you post! When you don't agree with someone, it is very simple to say "I don't agree with you, and here's why". Yet, some people decide to simply say "ahahahahaha you're an idiot, here's why". There's a big difference between those two responses. One encourages debate and rebuttal, the other drives the user off the forums. Simply changing the way we deal with these sorts of things will resolve these issues once and for all, and I'm sure more newly registered users would stick around.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    lmao, rules?, members? community?
    come on!
    a kid types in PS3 into google, joins psu, makes a post or two & says good things about his fav PS3 game, meets a few residents who only have facts (not opinions) doesn't like the psu anymore & don't comeback or gets a infraction for arguing his opinion & thinks $#@! u psu and goes somewhere else,

I've recommended this site loads & none of them have joined because the way things are....
    I personally think people should stick cuz it gets better, they're some great members, and the others....well they become ya personal jesters

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

3. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    lmao, rules?, members? community?
    come on!
    a kid types in PS3 into google, joins psu, makes a post or two & says good things about his fav PS3 game, meets a few residents who only have facts (not opinions) doesn't like the psu anymore & don't comeback or gets a infraction for arguing his opinion & thinks $#@! u psu and goes somewhere else,

I've recommended this site loads & none of them have joined because the way things are....
    I personally think people should stick cuz it gets better, they're some great members, and the others....well they become ya personal jesters
    What, in your opinion, should be changed to improve this?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by T0PGUN View Post
    I think Kauldron was using a sarcastic tone
    lol I hate when things are glaringly obvious only after being pointed out...

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    PSU has a fever....and the only prescription.....is MORE PODCAST DERAILED!

7. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    What, in your opinion, should be changed to improve this?
    Instead of banning or giving infractions to new members
    Give Warnings and infractions for members who provoke new members who don't know the rules as well
    Also a required introduction/welcome section might help

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

9. Likes AaronSOLDIER , Ghost likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Or perhaps I was wrong.

Master Guru
    why isn't there a Twitter / Facebook / google+ button so we can tweet threads & stories that we see on these forums? get with the times also good topics should be rewarded with a Hot Topic label to encourage people to post better threads.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    why isn't there a Twitter / Facebook / google+ button so we can tweet threads & stories that we see on these forums? get with the times also good topics should be rewarded with a Hot Topic label to encourage people to post better threads.
    That's the last thing we need.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    That's actually not a bad idea. The more we have links to the forum circulating the web, the more people we'll bring in. I don't see why we wouldn't do something like this.

Via iPad

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    There is a hot topic icon already... the folder by the thread is red when it's a HOT TOPIC.

PSN ID
    Jorge
    You guys don't have a personality. And yes I'm speaking in general.

Being Constantly monitored by the staff because they don't seem to have a real life is just absolutely ridiculous ..
    Or maybe I'm wrong. Who knows.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    That's the last thing we need.
    really? more traffic is the last thing we need?

think about it, if the button is there & I just press the button a few of my friends from other networks might see the link & like it & some of their friends might like it & so on

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    There is a hot topic icon already... the folder by the thread is red when it's a HOT TOPIC.
    well it most not be good enough because I never noticed it lol
    Last edited by ONQ; 12-19-2011 at 01:52.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by MortimerMouse View Post
    You guys don't have a personality. And yes I'm speaking in general.

Being Constantly monitored by the staff because they don't seem to have a real life is just absolutely ridiculous ..
    Or maybe I'm wrong. Who knows.
    We moderate leniently and the users call us "pussies" and blame the inactivity on trolls. We moderate strictly and the users say they're afraid to post.

Besides, there are some very active forums with strict moderation (i.e. NeoGAF) and some very active forums with lenient moderation (bodybuilding.com). You can't say that one way always works.

PSN ID
    Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    We moderate leniently and the users call us "pussies" and blame the inactivity on trolls. We moderate strictly and the users say they're afraid to post.
    Well ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post

Besides, there are some very active forums with strict moderation (i.e. NeoGAF) and some very active forums with lenient moderation (bodybuilding.com). You can't say that one way always works.
    Lenient ? In what way would you guys assume that. You guys are far from lenient, allowing or easygoing.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by MortimerMouse View Post
    Lenient ? In what way would you guys assume that. You guys are far from lenient, allowing or easygoing.
    I'm not sure what you're addressing here. I just gave examples of sites that are on each end of the moderation spectrum, which shows that sites can be successful with either strategy.

If you're saying that we should try being lenient ourselves: We were definitely more lenient before, as we gave out two warnings before infracting trolls. People complained that were weren't clamping down enough, so now we skip the warnings. We've never gone to the level of bodybuilding.com though, where users are allowed to call each other "phaggots" and what-not.
    Last edited by Ixion; 12-19-2011 at 05:07.

Super Elite
    Too be honest, one of the reasons could be the lower price point of the systems now, new buyers don't need to justify as much as some of the veterans, sure no one admits to having to justify buying a system but in truth they were $#@!ing expensive so those who spent a lot more in the past may be more likely to want to stay and argue things and that in turn made them stay. New members could quite easily be new owners who spent little and have no need to argue anything so when they get argued against they just walk away rolling their eyes.

Another theory is how $#@!ing ANNOYING it is when grand equalisers ALWAYS come in when they are not wanted or needed and it's even worse when mods do it to intentionally derail threads and spam

On a slightly related note, rule enforcement doesn't seem consistent which could confuse new members, mods have preferences, that'll always be true just like any member but members should keep those preferenes to themselves unless it had a reason in a thread and this speaks even more so for mods, honestly it would be scary as hell for new members seeing how some things are moderated. One mod will give a warning over a matter other mods wouldn't touch and vice versa and this can get confusing
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Master Guru
    I know for myself i've been posting here less and less over the years because i just get tired of seeing the same members trying to tear down Sony and the PS3. I came here because i was enthusiastic about getting the PS3 and wanted to converse with fellow PS gamers that have been PS fans and gamers for over a decade. I never visited forums until this generation and when i came here i expected a much better experience but i find there are far more people here that seem to just want to put down anything PS related. Like PS fans are somehow wrong to enjoy their console of choice on a Playstation site. It makes no sense to me. If you clearly don't like the PS brand, then why post here? Only to put others down?

So as far as new members go. I would imagine it's a huge turn off to come to a PS centric site and see posters constantly bashing the PS3 and Sony for the most ridiculous $#@!. It just got old a long time ago and i thank the mods for keeping this place relatively under control or i wouldn't post here at all anymore but at the same time the way things are you feel like you always have to hold your tongue when some asshole comes along and bashes what you enjoy. So the solution to that is to just not get caught up in the bull$#@! and go on enjoying your games.

22. Likes ONQ, Agriel likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I know for myself i've been posting here less and less over the years because i just get tired of seeing the same members trying to tear down Sony and the PS3. I came here because i was enthusiastic about getting the PS3 and wanted to converse with fellow PS gamers that have been PS fans and gamers for over a decade. I never visited forums until this generation and when i came here i expected a much better experience but i find there are far more people here that seem to just want to put down anything PS related. Like PS fans are somehow wrong to enjoy their console of choice on a Playstation site. It makes no sense to me. If you clearly don't like the PS brand, then why post here? Only to put others down?

So as far as new members go. I would imagine it's a huge turn off to come to a PS centric site and see posters constantly bashing the PS3 and Sony for the most ridiculous $#@!. It just got old a long time ago and i thank the mods for keeping this place relatively under control or i wouldn't post here at all anymore but at the same time the way things are you feel like you always have to hold your tongue when some asshole comes along and bashes what you enjoy. So the solution to that is to just not get caught up in the bull$#@! and go on enjoying your games.
    I agree with this. The climate in the PS3 section can be quite uninviting to prospective members I think. Most people want to come and share in their enthusiasm for Sony/PS3, the hassle and annoyance of 360 inclined posters trying tear it down, say why its $#@!, or say how MS are doing something better gets tiresome. I see it all the time here. Glancing at the last activity in the 360 section, its around 10-15 hours of inactivity, some prefer to be defacing Sony instead of sharing in their own enthusiasms. A lot of insecurity on this forum, imho. As much as a "fanboy" as some people label me here, I am glad to be among the ranks of those here who champion Sony for all their badassery and show some of these lurkers that there is a place for enthusiasm even amongst the constant hating and e-peen comparing.

24. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I agree with this. The climate in the PS3 section can be quite uninviting to prospective members I think. Most people want to come and share in their enthusiasm for Sony/PS3, the hassle and annoyance of 360 inclined posters trying tear it down, say why its $#@!, or say how MS are doing something better gets tiresome. I see it all the time here. Glancing at the last activity in the 360 section, its around 10-15 hours of inactivity, some prefer to be defacing Sony instead of sharing in their own enthusiasms. A lot of insecurity on this forum, imho. As much as a "fanboy" as some people label me here, I am glad to be among the ranks of those here who champion Sony for all their badassery and show some of these lurkers that there is a place for enthusiasm even amongst the constant hating and e-peen comparing.

But to be fair, what you call enthusiasm, a large amount call fanboyish behavior and is equally as much of a turn off as people who badmouth the PS3.

The problem isn't 360 fans, although most here would love to find that as a scapegoat, the problem is as I described in my 1st post. Rather than discussing things, people STILL cling to the stupid $#@!ing console war. Praise the PS3, fine... have at it. Praise the Wii, 360, whatever, we are a site for all of it. Just because we are a PS3 named site does not and never will make this site a fanboy site that will alienate anyone who wants a one stop forum for all their gaming news, like me. I joined this site in 2007 because I could get all my gaming news and discussion here. If it were a PS3 circle jerk, I would have left. That is why I did not actively participate in any other forum I joined. Only this one. PSU was unique in that way.

You bring up good points, but really you can just as easily swap console names in your paragraph and still be correct here. It simply is NOT 360 fans only causing hostile threads. The sooner people stop using that crutch and actually start using real debate practice here, we will be better off.
    LMAO

26. Likes Metal King Slime likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    The PS3 fans wouldn't be causing any trouble if there were no 360 fans constantly baiting. 90% of PS3 threads there is a 360 fan posting stupid pointless baiting $#@! and of course there's always one person who takes it, then it escalates. Majority of arguments are started by 360 fans. Look at the 360 section, how many PS3 fans are posting bait in there? Now look at the PS3 section. Nuff said.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    The PS3 fans wouldn't be causing any trouble if there were no 360 fans constantly baiting. 90% of PS3 threads there is a 360 fan posting stupid pointless baiting $#@! and of course there's always one person who takes it, then it escalates. Majority of arguments are started by 360 fans. Look at the 360 section, how many PS3 fans are posting bait in there? Now look at the PS3 section. Nuff said.
    A lot of people wouldn't be because this place is meant for PS fans in the first place (not saying that Xbox fans don't belong here). But those Xbox fans you mentioned will more likely than not, be owning both consoles and thus would have opinions about both.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Elite Sage
    PS3 fans This. 360 fans that.

Jesus Christ, have some of you forgot that we are all gaming fans? It becomes a problem when there is just blind loyalty from both sides. I see PS3 fans bait 360 fans and vice versa. How about you just take a step back and look at it from another view. Everyone is as bad as each other. Or we could all just sing songs and praise Sony for everything they do, even when they don't deserve it.

As Cuguy said having this site open to all gamers has made this place what it is. It's nice being able to hear a for and against argument rather than just hearing the same people say the same positive things whilst not saying the bad things.

Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    A lot of people wouldn't be because this place is meant for PS fans in the first place (not saying that Xbox fans don't belong here). But those Xbox fans you mentioned will more likely than not, be owning both consoles and thus would have opinions about both.
    This is something that people with only one console always seem to forget. People with 2,3,4 or 5 different platforms are always going to have an opinion different subjects and it's quite hard to not compare things when you are able to do so.

Maybe multiconsole owners, myself included, should just go to a different forum where they can express multiple views and just leave this site for the PS3 only information. It'd get alot more boring around here though.

OT: I don't think this is the reason why new members aren't staying around. I personally think it's because this generation has been loosing a bit of steam
    Last edited by BBK..; 12-19-2011 at 15:31.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Because most newcomers are idiots, and I don't have the patience for them. Therefore I don't really make them feel welcome, and I don't plan to.

I view this forum as a clubhouse, not everyoine is allowed in.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    And then we are back with Bligmerks post: Just because you own all three, doesn't mean you can $#@! allover one and it not be classed as trolling. Bottom line is, if you don't like PS3, or prefer an alternative console, then it makes no sense to join a PS centric site, there are other fan sites for other consoles.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Thread Information