Veteran

Sony Patents Transcranial Stimulation Device

It sounds like Sony is making progress on this system. Ultimately, Sony knows we don't need displays for games, the experience can be directed to the sight, sound, and hearing portions of the brain. Even in crude form, just think of a regular hand controller augmented with a skull cap of electrodes and transmitters.

Source

Sony patents a brain manipulation technology (ultrasonic controller beams sounds, sights into brains)
    Sony Patent Takes First Step Towards Real-Life Matrix
    November 22, 2011

Imagine movies and computer games in which you get to smell, taste and perhaps even feel things. That's the tantalising prospect raised by a patent on a device for transmitting sensory data directly into the human brain - granted to none other than the entertainment giant Sony. The technique suggested in the patent is entirely non-invasive. It describes a device that fires pulses of ultrasound at the head to modify firing patterns in targeted parts of the brain, creating "sensory experiences" ranging from moving images to tastes and sounds. This could give blind or deaf people the chance to see or hear, the patent claims. While brain implants are becoming increasingly sophisticated, the only non-invasive ways of manipulating the brain remain crude. A technique known as transcranial magnetic stimulation can activate nerves by using rapidly changing magnetic fields to induce currents in brain tissue.

However, magnetic fields cannot be finely focused on small groups of brain cells, whereas ultrasound could be. If the method described by Sony really does work, it could have all sorts of uses in research and medicine, even if it is not capable of evoking sensory experiences detailed enough for the entertainment purposes envisaged in the patent. Details are sparse, and Sony declined New Scientist's request for an interview with the inventor, who is based in its offices in San Diego, California. However, independent experts are not dismissing the idea out of hand. "I looked at it and found it plausible," says Niels Birbaumer, a pioneering neuroscientist at the University of T¸bingen in Germany who has created devices that let people control devices via brain waves. The application contains references to two scientific papers presenting research that could underpin the device. One, in an echo of Galvani's classic 18th-century experiments on frogs' legs that proved electricity can trigger nerve impulses, showed that certain kinds of ultrasound pulses can affect the excitability of nerves from a frog's leg. The author, Richard Mihran of the University of Colorado, Boulder, had no knowledge of the patent until New Scientist contacted him, but says he would be concerned about the proposed method's long-term safety. Sony first submitted a patent application for the ultrasound method in 2000, which was granted in March 2003. Since then Sony has filed a series of continuations, most recently in December 2004 (US 2004/267118 ).

Elizabeth Boukis, spokeswoman for Sony Electronics, says the work is speculative. "There were not any experiments done," she says. "This particular patent was a prophetic invention. It was based on an inspiration that this may someday be the direction that technology will take us." - From issue 2494 of New Scientist magazine, 07 April 2005, page 10 © Copyright Reed Business Information Ltd.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony, say what you will, they are the true innovators.

3. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Sounds... sexy

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    As an undergraduate student just starting to enter the field of Neuroscience, this really intrigues me. The logic behind the device is, relatively, solid, but as they said, pinpointing specific areas is difficult. We certainly wont be seeing this used to create complex images (like portraying a videogame screen in someone's head) just yet, but the possibilities are out there. Truly innovative though. I will certainly be keeping my eye on this. So much potential in this device.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Master Guru
    oh hell no! what if something kills me in the game & my brain thinks I'm dead? I seen the matrix I'm not playing this game.

7. Likes TeKn1qe, unicron7, Ixion , Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Veteran
    While it will be a long time before total immersion is a reality (total immersion in a non-reality reality?), it could be some much simpler system could make it to next gen games. So, not totally crisp clear images in your mind but putting different fog and light effects over the visual signal you are getting from the display.

Sony is going to be looking at the controller side very closely for the next gen and it could be possible to still have conventional gamepad and wand controllers that could be supplemented by a skull cap of sensors/transducers. Even something as simple as eye direction movement detection would change up gameplay. Head tracking is a given for the next gen. The skull cap will have to be consolized to be light enough, non-intrusive, and cost effective to manufacture. This is Honda's skull cap for mind controlling the Asimo robot and it looks like a long way to be possible for a console but that is the way all technologies appear at first blush. There are consumer neuroheadsets now for $300, so in a couple years, they are going to be even further along and cheaper to manufacture.

Edit: There is recent medical news on this with reference to Sony's original patent 6 years ago. So, the medical community is finding some success as an epilepsy treatment, they are highly doubtful and concerned about any entertainment application. Sony probably realizes this is a controversial subject and a patent application does not require a working physical model, so they are being cagey about any specifics but the medical research shows the apparatus exists.

source
    Transcranial Ultrasound Stimulation Can Treat Epilepsy
    09/06/2011

Ultrasound is an old technology that is continually being refined for novel applications. Functional ultrasound imaging of the brain has a spatio-temporal resolution that can surpass other scanning modalities. Very high intensity beams can kill cancer tumors or perform surgery. Lower frequency and intensity ultrasound is another advance in the field of neurotechnology. Influencing your mind with sound waves sounds like it could be a statement from a generic crackpot. Fortunately, this does not relate to any of those claims. Studies have shown that specific focused ultrasonic waveforms can trigger brain cells to fire in a non-invasive manner via mechanical action. It has previously been difficult to enable ultrasound to cross the skull effectively, but new methods have allowed scientists to overcome these issues. Researchers from Arizona State University have shown that this tech treats treat epileptic seizures in mice. This work is in Nature Protocols and gives another boost to the credibility of the science. The technology may be able to complement or replace existing neurostimulation techniques.

Specialized transducer arrays and software algorithms should be able to fine-tune the functioning of a multitude of brain regions at the same time. Metamaterials can help to localize the activation area. Many neurological disorders are associated with excesses or deficits of cerebral blood flow in specific regions. The treatment can normalize these aberrations. Pharmaceutical regimens often have numerous side effects. Doctors could attenuate negative outcomes using this new technology. Decreasing the activity of neurons would lessen the severity of epileptic fits.

Aside from the clinic, the main scientist William J. Tyler outlines speculative scenarios (see machining physiological intelligence).

It paves the way for forthcoming brain-computer interfaces due to its noninvasive nature. In these forward-looking applications, we envision the use of our technology in defense and national security industries, recreational applications such as video gaming, and future generations of social entertainment networks beyond the wildest imaginations of Apple, Facebook, and Google. We believe that brain stimulation is on the cusp of enabling the machining of physiological intelligence.
    Dr. Tyler seems to entertain some very far-fetched future possibilities. About six years ago, Sony had the idea of synthesizing hallucinatory sensations for video games using ultrasound. The targeting accuracy is in the millimeter range, so it seems unlikely that the resolving power is high enough to accomplish that scenario. Another recent related patent is a patient feedback for control of ultrasound deep-brain neuromodulation. It is not really a surprise that the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is also investigating this for the military. Using it as a tool for recreation has been elucidated by the researcher and sounds similar to Kurzweil’s “experience beamers” idea.

MyBrainCloud.net is a forthcoming technology where users will be able connect with brain-machine interfaces utilizing noninvasive pulsed ultrasound to stimulate brain circuits in such a manner to influence cognitive experiences and performance while gaining access to global information highways from personalized cloud computing clusters. This technology has many broad applications ranging from at-home medicine to recreational applications such as interactive video gaming and virtual experience downloading.
    It is still far too soon to tell if this work will end up in the clinic, let alone your home living room. Do it yourself brain alteration appears to be an unlikely outcome for widespread use given the inherent dangers, but it won’t stop people from trying. Too much stimulation may have unknown long term side effects or even cause seizures if inappropriately applied. It is difficult to say when clinical trials would commence.

In a video, Dr. Tyler discusses ultrasonic neuromodulation. He formed a spinoff company called synsonix to market LILFU. Another article discusses the use of ultrasound to treat brain disorders in clinical emergencies.
    Last edited by Bligmerk; 12-18-2011 at 22:07.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    No way in hell am I letting anybody beam anything inside my head... especially Sony.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I want them to $#@! my mind

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    No way in hell am I letting anybody beam anything inside my head... especially Sony.
    Things have been beamed in, through, and around your head every second that you have existed.

You don't think that you head has some type of shield encompassing it do you?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    What if the game gets hacked?

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    Things have been beamed in, through, and around your head every second that you have existed.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam

In a manner that makes me see, hear, feel in the manner they're talking about? I don't think so.
    I'd be recalcitrant to let a medical company do that to me, let alone Sony.

Veteran
    In a manner that makes me see, hear, feel in the manner they're talking about? I don't think so.
    I'd be recalcitrant to let a medical company do that to me, let alone Sony.
    TV, Video games, Radio, Computers, Cell phones. All send signals to your brain. Those signals don't just get absorbed by your eyes and ears, they pass right through your entire body.

The OP is just a different way to sense it. Albeit a different point of reference. It is all the same stuff.

Ever had a tune in your head and then you turn on the radio to find that exact song you where thinking about was playing?

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    TV, Video games, Radio, Computers, Cell phones. All send signals to your brain. Those signals don't just get absorbed by your eyes and ears, they pass right through your entire body.

The OP is just a different way to sense it. Albeit a different point of reference. It is all the same stuff.

Ever had a tune in your head and then you turn on the radio to find that exact song you where thinking about was playing?
    Riiiigght... Do any of those "transmit sensory data directly into the human brain"? No.
    I've already had my fair share of my mind telling me I'm seeing, hearing, and feeling things that are not really there.

You wanna let Sony beam crap into your head then be my guest. I'll happily watch from the sidelines.

Veteran
    Riiiigght... Do any of those "transmit sensory data directly into the human brain"? No.
    I've already had my fair share of my mind telling me I'm seeing, hearing, and feeling things that are not really there.

You wanna let Sony beam crap into your head then be my guest. I'll happily watch from the sidelines.
    Sure they do. Take sound for instance. Sound needs a medium in order to travel, hence why you cannot hear another object that is not touching you in outer space.

Now think about watching your favorite show. The sound is transmitted through the air. Since you are surrounded by air, the sound is then transmitted through you and yes this data from companies get sent directly into the brain. Now your ears are used to interpret this data in a form you can understand, but the sound waves are still going directly into the brain as well as the rest of your body.

This device in the OP basically can present data in understandable form and send it to your brain bypassing your natural sensory organs. So think of it as an artificial sensory organ. It is really no different from what you have already.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    i bet it'll be called the matrix! if it ever happens

Dedicated Member
    That has happend to me several times, creepy as hell hehe

Anywa I believe this tech could be available for the entertainment business in like 15-20 years.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Sure they do. Take sound for instance. Sound needs a medium in order to travel, hence why you cannot hear another object that is not touching you in outer space.

Now think about watching your favorite show. The sound is transmitted through the air. Since you are surrounded by air, the sound is then transmitted through you and yes this data from companies get sent directly into the brain. Now your ears are used to interpret this data in a form you can understand, but the sound waves are still going directly into the brain as well as the rest of your body.

This device in the OP basically can present data in understandable form and send it to your brain bypassing your natural sensory organs. So think of it as an artificial sensory organ. It is really no different from what you have already.
    Yes I understand how it all works, I'm not an idiot.
    And like I already stated: No thank you.

Veteran
    Now a big problem that I can see is if the person has epilepsy of some sort. Certain light patterns already make them have seizures because their brain does not function correctly, this could kill them.

Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    Playstation 9
    Vengeful is amazing<3

Thread Information