Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Problems with Vita's launch in Japan

http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1215139p1.html

A notice to PlayStation Vita customers

Recently, we have received many inquiries via the PlayStation Vita Information Center as well as through normal channels. Depending on time, it may continue to be difficult to contact us over the phone. We're sorry to have caused such an inconvenience.

As for inquiries regarding the PlayStation Vita, we have tried to make its operation as easy as possible. We've prepared a Q&A below, so before you contact us please consult it.

[Q&A for issues frequently encountered by customers]

The power cuts out
    Freezing in mid-operation
    Cannot connect data service
    Cannot register a PSN account at the initialization screen
    Well, it is launch and it's not going to be flawless. However, what if these problems aren't resolved by the time the Vita hits the states?
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    I figured something like this was going to happen.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    2 months is plenty of time to work out the kinks. This technology is nothing new. There are reasons why they did not do a world wide launch.

4. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    2 months is plenty of time to work out the kinks. This technology is nothing new. There are reasons why they did not do a world wide launch.
    no its not
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake_PSN
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Forum Guru

I meant to post this
    Attached Images
    Last edited by floetry; 12-20-2011 at 07:24.
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I knew that vita will fail hard. Never been a fan of Sonys mobile devices.

Forum Guru
    Launches don't go exactly go smooth. Its too early to say if it will fail. After hearing half of the people who purchased PSV wifi made my heart feel a little better. I almost felt guilty for not lol.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    hopefully these problems aren't TOO widespread. Its too early to tell really

Even so, i hope some of these can at least be addressed for the rest of the world's release. If not, make sure to buy extended warranty!!!

10. Likes F34R likes this post
    Apprentice
    Not to sound like a fanboy or anything but a little critical thinking can help. All this doom and gloom are based on two youtube videos and some unverified reports which IGN acknowledged in their article.
    DRULYB

12. Likes F34R likes this post
    Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Two YouTube videos? Well here are 4 I found in a few minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zch9iEf2vSk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upKSRlaN8is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TerK5Ijs8RU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxtuFQRgTI8

You can search for more using "PlayStation Vita エラー&フリーズ"

Kotaku also have a little article on this.

Whenever new hardware launches, whatever it is, there are problems. The PS Vita is new hardware, and while I haven't experienced any hardware issues, others have. These are some of them.
    According to YouTube videos, there are some machines experiencing lock-ups and freezing. One error appears to occur during the
    System Update, which then freezes.
    Another issue seems to be a non-responsive touch screen. It's still early in the hardware's launch cycle, so it's difficult to discern how widespread the issue is. Pro-gamer Kiryu Tsukimiya tweeted that he soon experienced it.

When the PS Vita freezes, the hardware apparently will not shutdown. A writer at Japanese news site Rocket News experienced that issue during Shin Sangoku Musou Next online play.

When the machine is in its regular operational state, if you press the power button, the Vita should shutdown. If it does not shutdown then, Sony's PS Vita help page said to try the following: keep holding the power button for 20 seconds until the front screen goes dark. Then, press the power button for five seconds to turn it back on. That apparently should work, and according to the Rocket News writer, it powered down his Vita. However, he repeatedly experienced the bug while playing Shin Sangoku Musou Next online.

These aren't the only issues, though. Online, some PS Vita owners are also reporting that they cannot boot up their PS Vitas, even though the handhelds have a full charge. There could be an explanation for this, and Rocket News has a walkthrough, that consists of questions to determine if the PS Vita owner held down the power button long enough or if the handheld is simply in standby mode.

I'd imagine these sort of issues would be handled by the time the Vita launches in the West in Feb. 2012. One of the more worrying issues, however, is the possibility of screen "stains" or "spots" on the OLED display. One Japanese PS Vita owner uploaded photos of his Vita screen, which supposedly shows display screen issues.

Oh, the joys of launching new hardware and being an early adopter. That's what system updates and hardware upgrades are for—fixing.

http://kotaku.com/5869239/ps-vita-fr...sues/gallery/1

The bit I bolded is pretty nasty! How can you fix the issue via software update if the unit freezes when software updating?!

Let's hope it's all clear by February.
    Last edited by dc89; 12-20-2011 at 10:04.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Yikes, some nasty bugs being reported. Hopefully they aren't too widespread and Sony can remedy them before Feb.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Yeah, this thing is a $#@!ing flop.

*brofist*

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Yikes, some nasty bugs being reported. Hopefully they aren't too widespread and Sony can remedy them before Feb.
    Agreed. Sucks for those who suffered from it, but by in large it seems like a decent launch for a new platform. Should be all fixed by the time it's out here

Like Lethal mentioned, 2 months should be enough time to iron things out. Kinda feel bad for the Japanese, it's like their being used as guinea pigs =p

Edit: Also, I was reading the Neogaf Vita thread last night and someone posted a battery test and stated that the system lasted for 4 hours 20something minutes with everything on max and wifi on, that seems pretty good to me

I kinda remember Sony stating the battery would last 3-5 hours with brightness and things set to low

Interested to hear of other peoples experiences with the battery
    Last edited by Nitey; 12-20-2011 at 16:00.

Apprentice
    So we have 6 documented/reported problems out of 321,000 units sold. IOW, there are hundreds of thousands of Vita owners out there who experience no issues whatsoever. How was this a problematic launch?
    DRULYB

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Because it is the internet. We just have to wait and see how wide-spread these problems are

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Items PS3 FatVita
    Oh noes! Vita's finished!!!111oneoneone

lol, All this doom and gloom already.
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Sony issues apology and software update for first batch of Vitas (video)

By Terrence O'Brien posted Dec 19th 2011 3:28PM

The PlayStation Vita has just barely hit the market in Japan, and it's already off to a rocky start with consumers. Only a matter of hours after the first unit was sold, users started complaining of software bugs, unresponsive touchscreens and complete system freezes. It's actually quite normal for new consoles to have a rough first few days with their new owners, but the speed at which it went from a few folks complaining of poor performance to a firestorm of furious customers flooding Twitter was quite surprising. Strangely enough, Sony must have been aware that some of these issues still lurked inside their latest portable gaming hardware, as the company has already issued a public apology and a software update. Hopefully most of the kinks will be worked out by the time the handheld hits stateside -- we're not sure how forgiving American gamers will be when faced with the lag you can see in the video after the break.

[Thanks, Rodney]

Seems to have been updated already. This is why I never buy consoles at launch, they always have problems. PS3, PS2, PSP, 360, 3DS etc.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Super Elite
    Items Microsoft LogoApple
    Sony making negative headlines again this year?

No surprise there then.

Well that's the PlayStation and Sony brand damaged a little more I guess.

Weakening brand = weakening sales and profits = less games and services for us.

Sony cannot afford these headlines considering the position they currently are in (financially and strategically).

I see it has made BBC News also.

Very bad.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    really and the thing launch on the 17th? well glad i didnt spend 250 plus tax on it then

DOOM'n'GLOOM Am Cry

damn you sony!!!

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    At least the Japanese get to test the hardware for us. We won't have to worry about these problems when it hits the west.

Apprentice
    There are lemons in everything, particularly when new: gaming, cars, printed material, etc, etc Will be interested in hearing how widespread they are

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasib View Post
    Sony making negative headlines again this year?

No surprise there then.

Well that's the PlayStation and Sony brand damaged a little more I guess.

Weakening brand = weakening sales and profits = less games and services for us.

Sony cannot afford these headlines considering the position they currently are in (financially and strategically).

I see it has made BBC News also.

Very bad.
    Do you believe everything you hear on the news and in the papers? The whole point of the news media outlet is to exacerbate things and they're doing this already. The worst over-reaction is on programmes like Watchdog, sure they inform the users and it's a good thing that they do, but they just go over the top sometimes and make it sound much worse than it actually is.

Super Elite
    Items Microsoft LogoApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Do you believe everything you hear on the news and in the papers? The whole point of the news media outlet is to exacerbate things and they're doing this already. The worst over-reaction is on programmes like Watchdog, sure they inform the users and it's a good thing that they do, but they just go over the top sometimes and make it sound much worse than it actually is.
    It was enough for Sony to offer an apology. And more importantly something they could have done without - even if it does turn out to be a relatively small issue.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    LMAO

Unlike you, the ps vita doesn't fail. It sold more units than the amount of change you'll make in a life time.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Superior Member
    My nice shiny imported unit works flawlessly, not a single issue...it's awesome to say the least!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    My nice shiny imported unit works flawlessly, not a single issue...it's awesome to say the least!
    I'm fully of jelly right now.

Thread Information