Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Vita Sold 321K First 2 Days In Japan

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201112/20007379.html

Vita has sold 321K unit's in it's first two days on sale in Japan.

For some comparison:

PSP sold 166K
    3DS sold 371K

That's a incredible improvement over the PSP and they got pretty close to the 3DS. Sony need to follow up now with some huge software titles for 2012. Without making this into a Vs thread, it has to do so because it's against a cheaper 3DS which has some big titles coming in 2012.

But them sales have shown the appetite for the Vita is there!
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

2. Likes F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    That's pretty good!! They really have a winning formula here. The system is top notch, just like the PSP was, and the game library already looks like it's going to be better than the PSP.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    With the Wi-Fi model said to be sold out everywhere, I wonder if SONY is under shipping it's lower priced model once again... If so, SONY has yet to learn about purchasing power! Still pretty decent numbers.

I do wonder what the sales would be like if they had:
    1-shipped more Wi-Fi models
    2-Made EVERY game save capable (without buying the extra memory card)
    3-Memory cards were actually SD or duo cards instead of this new "expensive"* format.
    4-Had a Vita Monster Hunter, FF or DQ title available at launch

If the Wi-Fi is indeed under shipped compared to the more expensive 3G, SONY will need to realize sooner rather than later what we, regular joes already know,that the 3g model is not the one in demand!!

I wonder how many card$ have been sold?

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

5. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Sage

Nice figures. Lets hope in can continue the same momentum towards the EU/NA launches

7. Likes F34R likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Good job, Sony!

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

9. Likes F34R likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Good sales to be honest! Sony have said they shipped 500k so to sell that much in 2 days is pretty good. They'll (hopefully) get the idea sooner or later that people would much rather the WiFi only model

Hope the momentum continues and the sales don't fizzle out, they got a few good games coming out soon including Ragnarok and Gravity Daze in particular that should peak the interest of the Japanese audience, but other than that it's probably hot shots golf (<3) that would sell the most software I reckon and help move hardware

Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    I wonder how many card$ have been sold?
    I read a report on IGN that stated that approx. 90% of people purchased cards with their Vitas and that the 16/32gb versions were 'sold out everywhere'. Considering the insane mark up of those cards that must be some nifty profit

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    Seen the UK prices? Figures mean little to me but I'll probs pick one up when they aren't more expensive than a ps3.

Superior Member
    Good im glad for vita... I wish I didnt have to wait all the way til feb.22

But then again It gives me time to recover from christmas and save enough to get a game and maybe a 16gig card. Also hopefully most of the early (rumored) and factual "problems" of the hardware will be fixed by then.
    Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    Holding down Turtle Power since 1991

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Noxia View Post
    Seen the UK prices? Figures mean little to me but I'll probs pick one up when they aren't more expensive than a ps3.
    Give it a few months and i think it'll be costing a lot less and at the very least the memory cards should be cheaper. I need no less than a 32Gb and at the moment i'm not paying for it.

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    That's a good launch.

THose numbers are encouraging

Super Elite
    Items Microsoft LogoApple
    Hmmm I expected a little more than that to be honest (around 450,000 units sold).

It has arguably a stronger software line-up and, again, arguably a better set of online services than the 3DS did at launch.

Prices are same so the comparison is fair.

Maybe Nintendo's brand strength in hand-held gaming is too high.

I also believe Monster Hunter coming out for the 3DS the same week the Vita launched was an interesting move from Nintendo. Very aggressive in my opinion and deliberately designed to hurt the PS Vita as much as possible.

Too bad - I thought better of Nintendo.

Still the strategy has worked for them and given them the initial 'win' in Japan.

Sales of PS Vita could drop considerably as did the 3DS sales post-launch...and I doubt Sony will be as quick to move on the price as Nintendo did and they also do not have a 'joker' like Nintendo have in the form of Mario...

With Monster Hunter no longer being exclusive to Sony things are looking mixed.

But it's early days. The road is long and the PSP at one-point looked like it was finished in Japan but came back incredibly stronger.

I agree with the posters above that the 3G unit and expensive memory cards are perhaps acting as a 'bottleneck' on sales.

But the 3G 'gamble' I want Sony to follow through with...it's an interesting innovation that could have interesting future uses in the hand-held gaming market.
    Last edited by Wasib; 12-20-2011 at 22:15.

17. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    didnt hurt them that much...not like the type of hurt sony/MS will ditch out around the WII U launch.

Numbers should only get better for US/UK launch, where I think there is more interest for some of the titles.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Great launch numbers for the first two days .... and Push is spot on, we'll see a tremendous launch for the US/UK. A million day one perhaps.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasib View Post
    Hmmm I expected a little more than that to be honest (around 450,000 units sold).

It has arguably a stronger software line-up and, again, arguably a better set of online services than the 3DS did at launch.

I also believe Monster Hunter coming out for the 3DS the same week the Vita launched was an interesting move from Nintendo. Very aggressive in my opinion and deliberately designed to hurt the PS Vita as much as possible.

Still the strategy has worked for them and given them the initial 'win' in Japan.

Sales of PS Vita could drop considerably as did the 3DS sales post-launch...and I doubt Sony will be as quick to move on the price as Nintendo did and they also do not have a 'joker' like Nintendo have in the form of Mario...

But it's early days. The road is long and the PSP at one-point looked like it was finished in Japan but came back incredibly stronger.

I agree with the posters above that the 3G unit and expensive memory cards are perhaps acting as a 'bottleneck' on sales.

But the 3G 'gamble' I want Sony to follow through with...it's an interesting innovation that could have interesting future uses in the hand-held gaming market.
    The 3DS however did not have any competition to eat away at it's sales and as you point out later on, Nintendo released some big 3DS titles the same day.

I'm confident that once SONY drops the price on memory cards (or make game saves mandatory on the game cartridges), Vita will have sustainable sales.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasib View Post

The 3g concept is wonderful. Its just the additional subscription that isn't. If ATT or whoever (whould have held) the mobile connectivity for the psv had said, if you already have a data plan with us, you could share it on psv, I think alot more people would be willing to be pay the extra 50 dollars for the 3g console

But another bill? another fee? in this economy? When you are already asking us to buy your console? Nah, no thanks

By the way, I rather pay for psn than to pay att lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake_PSN
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    didnt hurt them that much...not like the type of hurt sony/MS will ditch out around the WII U launch.
    I think you underestimate Nintendo's fan base.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    Good nice for SONY!!!!
    Sony BRAVIA 40" XBR4
    harman/kardon AVR1600
    1Tb PS3 slim
    500Gb PS4
    Toshiba S50D A
    AMD A10-5745M APU 2.10Ghz
    AMD Radeon HD 8500M
    8Gb RAM
    1Tb Hdd
    Windows 8

Forum Guru
    I think you underestimate Nintendo's fan base.
    As far as consoles go, nintendo is dead imo
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Next week will be bigger with Christmas day. A very strong start too, just wait till the library gets bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by floetry View Post
    As far as consoles go, nintendo is dead imo
    Even though the Wii has sold more than ps and Xbox?

Super Elite
    the Wii is dead to me too. I don't care about sales numbers. I just care about having a console worth having.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Sage
    Oh right. Same here but I'm pretty sure numbers would be bought up right away if they favored a certain Sony console

I'm interested in WiiU. HD mario and zelda and third party support? Yes please.
    Don't care if ms or Sony bring out another console with better gfx. My pc will always piss over any gen console graphics and functionality wise.
    Guess its a good time to be a gamer with so many choices. Look forward to a vita in 6 months or so.

Forum Guru
    Yes, because they have been in the red for the last 4 years and haven't turned a profit, So yes, as far as consoles goes, Nintendo is dead., Just imo

Their bread and butter is handhelds. They can always profit from those.

Thread Information