Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Do slim PS3's freeze up a lot?

As some of you may know, I just bought a brand new PS3 slim not too long ago. If you notice my signature, you'll know I am playing L.A. Noire.

The problem? It froze up a LOT today. It eventually froze up to the point where I had to restart the PS3 (and it didn't save, gonna have to do most of the case all over again ).

Is this a sign of something big or little wrong with my PS3? Or could it be the game? The game has zero scratches but the PS3 is practically brand new too.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I got my ps3 a few weeks ago. I haven't had any freezing issues while playing games. The only time mine froze was after using the browser on it -_-. You should try testing out another game and see if it still acts up with you.

Superior Member
    Items PS3 SlimBlizzardMovePlayStationUser name style
    My PS3 freezes a lot on Resistance, occasional freezes in other games, but very rare.

You could have gotten a rare dud, I don't recall freezing issues with L.A Noire. Your problems sound severe, but I would test another game before I take any further steps.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=215813&dateline=13047  62730

Superior Member
    Hmmm doesn't sound too promising. I've had my 1st gen slim for a couple of years now and it pretty much only freezes on Bethesda games as far as I can remember.

However my fan is starting to kick in more regularly even after I cleaned it out.

Is it just LA Noire that freezes or do other games crash?

Veteran
    I played two games, one earlier generation game and one later generation game. I played them both for the same amount of time I played L.A. Noire.

The results? When I popped in the earlier gen game, it was humming but not too loud. It stopped humming after 10 mins and ran quietly.

With the later gen game, it didn't get loud at all. It ran smoothly all the way through.

So, the problem could definitely be my L.A. Noire.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Other_
    Sounds like an issue with L.A. Noire. Now, I don't remember if it does, but does L.A. Noire have a mandatory install?

Follow me on Twitter @DonOther

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Oliveira View Post
    Sounds like an issue with L.A. Noire. Now, I don't remember if it does, but does L.A. Noire have a mandatory install?
    Yes it does.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I remember hearing about freezing and overheating issues when playing L.A Noire. As far as your console goes, I can't say for sure but with my experience, it doesn't freeze at all unless you're playing a Beta.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    They don't from my experience. I'll have had my 250 slim for a year, in January, and it's only crashed once from what I can remember and that was during the uncharted beta back in June/July

It could be LA noire, sorry to hear youre having a bad time with it though D:

Veteran
    So is it my L.A. Noire or is it L.A. Noire in general? I was really enjoying the game, I would hate to sell it and miss out on such a great game.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    If its constantly freezing then it must be your disc, otherwise it would be all over the internet how bad it is on PS3 compared to the other platforms as we always do.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    So is it my L.A. Noire or is it L.A. Noire in general? I was really enjoying the game, I would hate to sell it and miss out on such a great game.
    In general I'm afraid. Here's the article I was talking about.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/19/ps...star-and-sony/

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER
    If its constantly freezing then it must be your disc, otherwise it would be all over the internet how bad it is on PS3 compared to the other platforms as we always do.
    The problem occurs on both platforms, hence why no such comparisons were made(That I know of).

I have not seen many reports on the PS3 slim freezing up. I have been using mine for almost a year now and I have only experienced one instance of the console freezing up on me. That was while I was playing Skyrim about 3 weeks ago. I have not managed to replicate the error since then. Perhaps see if there are any other L.A. Noire players that are experiencing the same issue. If not, then it must be something to do with your Playstation unit.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I've never heard any widespread complainants about the Slim freezing. In fact I'd say theyre extremely reliable. You might have just got a dud.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    skullcrusher1005
    The only time my ps3 has froze on me is when i use the browser on it. There has only been one time when my ps3 froze during a game but i think that because it was to hot. Ive had mine for a year now it rarely freezes on me.

Dedicated Member

They will crash if your using the web browser! Also, L.A. Noire did have issues. Some games do have issues too, whether or not everyone talks about it or not. The system itself is pretty rock solid though. So I suspect it has more to do with software rather than hardware from my experiences, and I have a fat original PS3 and the new slim as well. and am very familiar with the quirks they have.
    Just some thoughts!

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    I've been having issues on and off this week, ever since I started playing Battlefield3. But it isn't a normal freeze, I've found my PS3 running and frozen late a night, the first time it was showing the update page, the second time it showed nothing. Which is very weird, the automatic update is locking the system up. Then it started freezing every time I tried to start Battlefield3 (and I was probably 70% of the way into the campaign so it didn't start immediately), so I erased the install and started again, and it froze downloading the first patch, then froze on trying to start. And these freezes don't clear up after holding the power button for 10 seconds like a normal freeze they require me to pull the plug. Then the PS3 starts up complaining about improper shut down and maybe my drive is corrupt which requires a restart. I've also found some online material about freezes that came after the 4.0 update that added the Vita features.

I've decided to try another new game and see if I have issues with it. But I had played MW3 just before starting Battlefield3 without any issues. I guess now I'm more curious to find out if I need to wipe my drive and start clean or something.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    gizzoidafcb
    I have a problem with Battlefield as well. Sometimes a freeze in the game but mainly when you quit the game it has a fit, takes ages or just gives the 2 beeps and off it goes. Also the loading & saving on the game have gotten very long.

Happening to quite a lot of people, fishy indeed.

Superior Member
    I've had mine freeze a couple of times. I want to believe it more so game related, but i can ignore that my original ps3 only froze once during warhawk while i was trying to send a message to a friend.

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy XIII
    My slim will occasionally freeze now and then for no apparent reason, but when on Dead Island, it freezes a lot.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I've never had a freeze on my slim, the 120GB nor the 320GB.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i got a slim when they first came out (60 gig dies twice) and it only freezes when the game is buggy, like your wonderful bethesda games. other than that the usually random game freeze, but other than that absolutely nothing

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Mine hasn't frozen for ages actually. I'll be playing Fallout NV next month though and expect a lot of restarting.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    It's the only console I have that hasn't ever had any problems.

PSN ID
    matthado
    Got my PS3 in August 2010, and while it does freeze up sometimes (quite rarely) it doesn't usually happen.

Thread Information