Latest PSU headlines:

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Kojima's Project Ogre is a Open World Game

"Metal Gear" series creator Hideo Kojima is renowned for his Hollywood-style video games, but critics say they leave little room for players to roam.

Maybe he's listening, because Kojima plans to go in a new direction with his next big project.

"The kind of game I'm making is some game that has a very wide entrance, a very open entrance," Kojima said through a translator in a phone interview with CNN last week. "Rather than making something very cinematic, [I plan to] make something very free."

Among gamers worldwide, and especially in Japan where Kojima Productions and publisher Konami are based, Kojima is treated like a rock star. Often dressed in a slick leather jacket, he gets swarmed by fans at conventions, and people pick apart his every word and tweet for clues about the next secret-agent action game in the "Metal Gear" series.

One such Twitter frenzy broke out a few days ago when
    Kojima posted pictures
    from a mysterious war game to his 131,000 followers. He wrote that the images demonstrate some of the advancements made in game-development software, made by his team, that allow for
    translucent clothing
    , realistic dust particles and other fancy effects.

The pictures are set in a sandy, mountainous region, perhaps somewhere in the Middle East, with soldiers and tanks. They do not look quite like a "Metal Gear" game, which have led many fans to speculate that this is the first peek at Kojima's next big thing.

Kojima has called his upcoming game Project Ogre. In the interview, he described it as being set in a very open world where players can wander around and explore freely. Players should still be able to find new sights and worthwhile adventures after having played the game for as many as 100 hours, he said.

By contrast, recent "Metal Gear" games have followed very linear paths, going back to the original on the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1987.

For example, "Metal Gear Solid 4" for the PlayStation 3 takes players from Afghanistan to Alaska in a lengthy, action-packed, professionally narrated story, but there is little room to stray from the trail. People do not quite know what to expect from "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance," next year's game, which was developed by an outside studio with less direction from Kojima.

In a recent interview with the
    UK's Official PlayStation Magazine
    , Kojima described Project Ogre's tone as "subdued," and the experience as similar on the surface but essentially different from his past projects. Project Ogre will not be completed for some time, and Kojima will continue to produce other games, he said.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/20/te...gre/index.html

That's a brave direction for Kojima to take! I hope it turns out really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Sweet..an RPG that looks amazing. That's a first. I'm gonna buy it cause I'm a Kojima fanboy and worshipper, since he is god.

PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Sounds interesting, and a departure from Metal Gear Solid can only be a good thing -- let's see Kojima spread his wings a little.

Still, i've lost track at the number of 'new games' he's been working on the last year or so. I wonder if this is that 'taboo' project he mentioned at one point?
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Supreme Veteran

sounds promising, just hope they do not fall into the situation where they just full the open world with crap content just to fill space

Veteran
    Interesting, something to be looking forward to, is this the same game they released their new engine screenshots before?

Soldier 95B
    I will be on this game like flies on shit. I want to see what he can do with an open world.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Sweet..an RPG that looks amazing. That's a first. I'm gonna buy it cause I'm a Kojima fanboy and worshipper, since he is god.
    Same here man, same here..

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I will be on this game like flies on shit. I want to see what he can do with an open world.
    That's a pretty interesting comparison. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post

I wanna be Vegeta LOL.

9. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    All of these...I'm actually quite glad that this seems to be a departure from the Metal Gear franchise....after Revengeance the series needs to go on a definite hiatus. I've been dying for either ZOE3 or a new IP from Kojima for years!
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Thread Information