Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Guru

PS Vita menu is touch-only

It's entirely possible there's a menu option hidden somewhere in the PS Vita's settings to enable navigation with buttons and analog sticks, but I have yet to find it. In the above video, I demonstrate both the touch-only nature of the Vita interface, and the really nice-looking lock screen.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/21/ps...is-touch-only/
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake_PSN
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Meh, if it's only touch right now, they better add the possibility to change the setup in a later FW update.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Well duh, trying to navigate those menus without using touch wouldn't make much sense to be honest

Why would you navigate through the menus using the buttons? People don't complain such thing when using Iphone or any other touch screen smartphone and it is much faster to browse using the touch screen than using buttons.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    C'mon ppl its sony, people will always find something to $#@! about

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    C'mon ppl its sony, people will always find something to $#@! about
    That's hardly exclusive to Sony.. people have different tastes, and the discussion is definitely welcome.

7. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Big deal, the OS is built around the touch controls. No one complains about their phones, ipod or ipad.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

9. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't think there is much to complain about here, especially when it looks to be more efficient than button controls when navigating. I welcome different opinions on it, but I've not seen any compelling argument to show why touch only is bad.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Buttons $#@!in suck ass compared to touch controls. Theyre slow, inefficient and primitive. Anyone who has an issue with this is just grabbin at $#@!-at-Sony straws.

Forum Guru
    How is this $#@!ing? Lol people take off your vita blinders for a min! Its not a big problem, but Don't you find it a little weird? It might take time to get use to, at least for me personally. It'd be weird not being able to press "x" on any app to execute it.Even my touch phone has button control lol.

Its not a deal breaker, but as the video author says, its still Kind of Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Buttons $#@!in suck ass compared to touch controls. Theyre slow, inefficient and primitive. Anyone who has an issue with this is just grabbin at $#@!-at-Sony straws.
    Really? Then why don't you stick to Iphone/Tablet gaming? Yeah, exactly. Because your argument doesn't make sense, and its the exact opposite of what you would say for your argument for the PSV vs Touch screen gaming lol.
    Last edited by floetry; 12-23-2011 at 04:18.
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

13. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by floetry View Post
    How is this $#@!ing? Lol people take off your vita blinders for a min! Its not a big problem, but Don't you find it a little weird? It might take time to get use to, at least for me personally. It'd be weird not being able to press "x" on any app to execute it.Even my touch phone has button control lol.

Really? Then why don't you stick to Iphone/Tablet gaming? Yeah, exactly. Because your argument doesn't make sense, and its the same opposite of what you would say for your argument for the PSV vs Touch screen gaming lol.
    Hear hear...

I don't mind the home screen being touch only but when it comes to tab browsing, I'd like to have the OPTION to use my d-pad.

I'm not $#@!ing, I'm stating my preference. And I will get use to the touch only if need be.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

15. Likes floetry likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Hear hear...

I don't mind the home screen being touch only but when it comes to tab browsing, I'd like to have the OPTION to use my d-pad.

I'm not $#@!ing, I'm stating my preference. And I will get use to the touch only if need be.
    same, i think it will be optional in fw

Forum Sage
    I am kind of at odds here. Sony has provided buttons so why restrict the use for it?

Anyway, you can tell that the UI was designed by their developers and not by a designer....

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I am kind of at odds here. Sony has provided buttons so why restrict the use for it?

Anyway, you can tell that the UI was designed by their developers and not by a designer....
    From what we've seen, it looks to be designed pretty intuitively for touch screen use.

Elite Guru
    Exactly. I can see it being quite cumbersome to use with buttons, it's super quick with touch. I love it! Maybe the use of dpad/buttons would be useful in the store for example, but in that main area with the bubbles it makes little sense to me

You're right, they'll probably add support for it somewhere down the line, just for the sake of it

20. Likes F34R likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Quote Originally Posted by floetry View Post

My sentiments exactly. I'll be with you in getting used to not having access to buttons. After 17 years or so of playing videogames, I've rather gotten used to buttons.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

22. Likes floetry likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I've been using touch screen devices for a while now, there won't really be a learning curve passed knowing where everything is.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    i got used to it when i transitioned from my Motorola smartphone that had a central button to a Samsung that had nothing at all. since then on all my phone have been button less (except for the mytouch 4g)

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Well duh, trying to navigate those menus without using touch wouldn't make much sense to be honest
    I agree. Using touch seems like it would be alot easier and more convienent to me.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    I have no problems with that at all. Completely used to touch devices at this point.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Yeah, it's definitely been thought out as a touch UI. I can't say the LOOK is 100% satisfactory to me, but we'll see once I get it in my hands.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    I'm cool with touch controls for menus, since they are far more intuitive than buttons. Gameplay wise though, I rather have buttons. I'm glad Vita has both.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely been thought out as a touch UI. I can't say the LOOK is 100% satisfactory to me, but we'll see once I get it in my hands.
    Yeah I'm not realy feeling the bubbles, if that's what you mean. I hope somewhere down the line they give us more options/themes...would be badass

Thread Information