Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items Dark Souls CoverMuseSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Nothing self-righteous about it. Some people just don't feel the need to waste their money on somethings. Especially if it has the possibility of sucking. Or sometimes, people just don't feel like spending money. Question. Do you buy or download anime? Have you ever downloaded a single episode? If that happens to be the case, you aren't in the position to judge anyone.
    Those are terrible, terrible reasons to steal something.

It's funny how its perfectly okay for people to steal one thing, but then plenty of people throw away money on other needless crap. If you can't afford your vices, then don't partake in them! Pirating is stealing, and I know its overused and cheesey, but you wouldn't steal a car or food or someone's purse would you? The people that put together products deserve money. Period. There are plenty of ways to test products legally. Artists put songs up on YouTube all the time before the album even releases. Developers put demos out for games.

The excuses for piracy are horse$#@!. The sense of entitlement is disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Birbiglia
    Why would you go talk about computers when you could stay here and go skiing and your skis will be french toast sticks!

2. Likes -Shafty- likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Yeah a bit. I buy the stuff I like though. Most of the stuff I pirate I wouldn't have bought anyway....

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I dont tend to pirate, the only reason I pirate games is if I cant find them (Such as Prey, Dungeon Siege 1, and Dungeon Siege 2. Deleted Prey when I found it, waiting for DS3 Complete to get within my price range for DS1 and 2)

I'd rather wait till a game is within my price range, then pirate it.

Movies and Music are another story. $1 for a song, or $20 for a movie just doesnt seem worth it to me. Though I dont listen to music too much anymore, and I ordered the movie network so thats no longer a problem for me.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Guru
    The only time I've ever pirated is after I've purchased a PC game and found it to have DRM. I've then went out and looked for a non DRM infected copy. Technically, I already own the license to play, though.

Nowadays, I do some research and those games with intrusive DRM just don't get my money and I never play them. There's such a massive choice in entertainment that I don't need to be concerned about not playing something.
    Last edited by *goo; 12-27-2011 at 14:03.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Being a pirate because you deem it to be a waste of money to buy certain things is a poor excuse.
    I actually buy alot of CD's. I own pretty much every Iron Maiden, Uriah Heep and Regurgitator CD.

If you can't afford to buy every CD, don't. Alot of legal ways to listen to free music such as TV programs, radio and YouTube.

Most people pirate because it's easy. I'd love to see some get caught.
    Last edited by mickice; 12-27-2011 at 14:06.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    It's their music, so no. Such self-righteous bigotry is despicable.
    That absolutely didn't make any sense lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Nothing self-righteous about it. Some people just don't feel the need to waste their money on somethings. Especially if it has the possibility of sucking. Or sometimes, people just don't feel like spending money. Question. Do you buy or download anime? Have you ever downloaded a single episode? If that happens to be the case, you aren't in the position to judge anyone.
    People justify their own actions however they see fit. There are two people in this thread that I personally helped j/b their PS3/PSP and get a few games for. One person has a library bigger than mine. Meh...

Quote Originally Posted by .RAID3N. View Post
    Those are terrible, terrible reasons to steal something.

It's funny how its perfectly okay for people to steal one thing, but then plenty of people throw away money on other needless crap. If you can't afford your vices, then don't partake in them! Pirating is stealing, and I know its overused and cheesey, but you wouldn't steal a car or food or someone's purse would you? The people that put together products deserve money. Period. There are plenty of ways to test products legally. Artists put songs up on YouTube all the time before the album even releases. Developers put demos out for games.

The excuses for piracy are horse$#@!. The sense of entitlement is disgusting.
    Physically stealing someone's personal property isn't in any way, shape or form the same as downloading a digital copy of a game, song, movie, etc. The end result on your behalf is the same; you've obtained something you didn't pay for. However, the means, ownership, and properties of the two actions remains different

I'll play your little game though. Yes, if I wanted that car, and based on the criteria I'd use to decide to download a movie, I'd steal that $#@! in a heartbeat. The same goes with a purse, or any other item I wanted.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    If you could click a button and in 10 minutes a real deal sports car was in your driveway and you didn't pay a cent for it and there was a very high chance no one would ever track you down for it, you would do it right?
    But stealing a real car isn't as easy as stealing an album, otherwise more people would do it.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage

I don't pirate anything

/Takes moral high ground.

But seriously, i pirate very, very little. Most of my music is legit CD rips that i've taken from friends and family and because i spend a small fortune on 12'' vinyl every month most of them come with 320kbs/FLAC files of the music i've bought so i can build up both a physical and digital music libary - I love my music and I want the industry to survive so i try to keep vinyl alive by buying as much as i can (around 30-50 a month) but also with services such as DnBArena, Juno, iTunes making MP3's extremely cheap is also another good thing for the music industry

Movies - I tend to prefer to get the cinema experience for movies (bar Jackass 3D - I felt like a mug after paying to watch that) or just wait till they are on DVD/Blueray for cheap and i don't need to pirate TV shows because you can watch most of them online now so it's not really a problem for me. Though i have pirated a few series' but less than i can count on my hands.

Games - Again, like music i love the games industry so i tend not to pirate games. The only game i've pirated this generation is the first Crysis to see if it would run on my computer - it did and since then i've bought it twice (retail and Steam). I don't agree with all the excuses that pirates use to justify their pirating decision either. Not being able to play a demo, Not knowing if you will like the game, Not agreeing with the price, disliking the developers and all the other excuses people use to justify pirating are just that, excuses.

Pirating effects all the entertainment industry and i don't believe in biting the hand that feeds you.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That absolutely didn't make any sense lol.

People justify their own actions however they see fit. There are two people in this thread that I personally helped j/b their PS3/PSP and get a few games for. One person has a library bigger than mine. Meh...

Physically stealing someone's personal property isn't in any way, shape or form the same as downloading a digital copy of a game, song, movie, etc. The end result on your behalf is the same; you've obtained something you didn't pay for. However, the means, ownership, and properties of the two actions remains different

I'll play your little game though. Yes, if I wanted that car, and based on the criteria I'd use to decide to download a movie, I'd steal that $#@! in a heartbeat. The same goes with a purse, or any other item I wanted.
    Piracy and stealing are exactly the same.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Guru
    If anything in the last 20 or so years I've gone from plenty to none.

re: Software ... I absolutely buy everything I use, especially professional products - being a developer/product designer I have some extra sensitivity about reimbursing people in my industry for their hard work. Plus, I can't afford any downtime or issues, so the thought of pirating something as mission critical as an OS? NFW. If you're a professional designer, charging money for design, then something like Photoshop pays for itself in one job. Not to mention there are plenty of free (or very cheap) alternatives to high[er] priced products (Gimp vs. Photoshop, Microsoft Web Developer vs. MS Visual Studio, etc.).
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Forum Guru
    DP ... please remove (or add a delete function ... )
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Super Elite
    I pirated when I was younger. But now I buy everything legitimately. I have a pretty nice Blu-Ray collection. I've been wanting to buy software but it's too expensive for me so I'll have to wait for a bonus check to do anything.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    If anything in the last 20 or so years I've gone from plenty to none.

re: Software ... I absolutely buy everything I use, especially professional products - being a developer/product designer I have some extra sensitivity about reimbursing people in my industry for their hard work. Plus, I can't afford any downtime or issues, so the thought of pirating something as mission critical as an OS? NFW. If you're a professional designer, charging money for design, then something like Photoshop pays for itself in one job. Not to mention there are plenty of free (or very cheap) alternatives to high[er] priced products (Gimp vs. Photoshop, Microsoft Web Developer vs. MS Visual Studio, etc.).
    I agree. There are many free alterntives to the industry leading. If your not willing to pay for the top end one the chances are you don't need the top end solution. There is no excuse what so ever when it comes down to pirating. You either pay up like everyone else or you just admit you don't want to pay for it at all

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Piracy and stealing are exactly the same.
    Stealing a car is completely different than stealing a digital song. You get that don't you?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I pirated when I was younger. But now I buy everything legitimately. I have a pretty nice Blu-Ray collection. I've been wanting to buy software but it's too expensive for me so I'll have to wait for a bonus check to do anything.
    Good, admitting it means we're on the same ground.

Super Elite
    Everybody has pirated, including your three-year-old niece. Doesn't change the fact that it is very wrong.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Everybody has pirated, including your three-year-old niece. Doesn't change the fact that it is very wrong.
    My three-year old niece definitely hasn't. Also, I never said it wasn't wrong.

Super Elite
    Stealing is stealing. Does not matter how you paint it, it is still the same, unless of course it is out of necessity.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    I feel bad for those who say they've never pirated anything. I wish I could look into their iPods and find out how many songs they have downloaded. Hell, even if you use TiVo, you're considered a pirate, aye!
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    I feel bad for those who say they've never pirated anything. I wish I could look into their iPods and find out how many songs they have downloaded. Hell, even if you use TiVo, you're considered a pirate, aye!
    Recording shows isn't pirating. The movie industry lost that case decades ago. What is ironic about it, is Sony was the one being sued. Sony Corporation of America et al. v. Universal City Studios, Inc., et al.
    Last edited by F34R; 12-27-2011 at 15:58.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    At the end of the day the question is "Do you feel bad?". My answer is Yes AND No.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    My answer is a resounding "HELL NO".

Superior Member
    Arhh, Nevarh. I can honestly say I typically use downloading for two reasons. 1) to sample the product, I've bought too many bad albums and movies. 2) because I can't find it any other way, or it would take far too much effort to track it down.

So do I feel bad, yes for the actual artists involved. But, until distribution companies disappear I'll keep doing it. If more people like Louis CK start selling their product themselves, then I'll buy. There are more people with their hands in the cookie jar than there needs to be.

SOTW...Get in there and Vote people

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    No, I don't pirate music, software, or movies. In the US, MOG and Spotify both have free versions if you just want to sample music...not sure about other countries, though.

PS I don't consider Time shifting (Tivo) the same as pirating.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I don't pirate nearly as much as when I was younger. I used to have pirated games for my PS1 and PS2 and Dreamcast and Xbox and 360 and PSP lol. Never felt bad

As I've gotten older, however, I've not pirated any kind of video game for years. Mainly because now I've got the neccesary cash to be able to fund my hobby

As for music and movies, I get them from my brother who mostly downloads stuff. Otherwise I convert mp3s from youtube

But yeah, I don't feel bad at all for when I was a dirty little pirate. Maybe a bit guilty, but if it wasn't for pirating those games or whatever, I would have had no other way to experience them

Thread Information